Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Jampip wrote: »
    Game confirmed for 5 on Saturday the 4th. I see an RTE symbol beside it so it must be televised

Confined on gaa app that it will be televised

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think Cavan will more than likely win this game.

I can see it going two ways
    A. Cavan will have had their homework done and will wrap Roscommon up and win comfortably.

B. Less likely, but Roscommon will come back strong, no big Mayo game now, pressure is off, nothing to lose and produce fantastic stuff

Looking forward to this game, two teams in very similar positions IMHO both with a similar set of fans with growing expectations, both looking to come out of the shadow of a bigger name, and some good form at U21.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Stoner wrote: »

A. Cavan will have had their homework done and will wrap Roscommon up and win comfortably.

B. Less likely, but Roscommon will come back strong, no big Mayo game now, pressure is off, nothing to lose and produce fantastic stuff

Looking forward to this game, two teams in very similar positions IMHO both with a similar set of fans with growing expectations, both looking to come out of the shadow of a bigger name, and some good form at U21.

I have no great expectations but there is absolutely no way we can be as bad as we were in Sligo.

Cavan have never beat us comfortably in a game that matters over the course of these many meetings over the last three or four seasons, the only big win for Cavan being a meaningless D3 league match where both teams were already promoted.

I don't expect this to be anyways comfortable for either side. The most likely outcome is neither of your options but a close run match that will be decided by three points or less.

I just think it might produce some sort of a surprise. It really depends on how well roscommon bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

I just think it might produce some sort of a surprise. It really depends on how well roscommon bounce back.

define a surprise - bookies have them at 11/10 each so only thing that could constitute a surprise is one team hammering another

• Advertisement

willabur wrote:
    define a surprise - bookies have them at 11/10 each so only thing that could constitute a surprise is one team hammering another

The options I gave above, both surprises, both against the odds, I wouldn't actually be surprised if one did hammer the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Cavan never comfortably beat teams tbh. The London game was out of the ordinary.

As I said before it, we don't have the edge to kill off games. If we win, Roscommon will be in it to the end.

I fear our lack of firepower will be the difference however. Roscommon won't be as complacent as they were against Sligo again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bear on the square

I was informed by someone who was speaking with killian clarke that he should be fine for Roscommon. Felt the hammy a bit and came off as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

So our Minors will meet Derry after they beat a hugely fancied Donegal by a point in the Semi Final. Good pedigree in this Derry team with players from Pat's Maghera and Watty Graham's. Big strong side and we'll have our work cut out for us in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

Can't believe the Donegal minors lost. Thought they would go all the way. Hope Cavan can do it, great to be in a position to compete. They are guaranteed another day out regardless of the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

That Conor Glass is some operator, seen him a few times v St Pats. Top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

And another shock today as Kildare beat Dublin. So Cavan will face either Longford or Kildare to get into an All Ireland Semi Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

And another shock today as Kildare beat Dublin. So Cavan will face either Longford or Kildare to get into an All Ireland Semi Final.

You fecker! I am away & before I saw the result I saw this post!!

Very quiet in the county ahead of this game IMO. People do seem very confident though.

My worry is that, like the Armagh game last year, we're setting ourselves up for a fall.

We've only beaten the Rossies once in seven attempts, and that game was a dead rubber league match where both teams fielded weakened sides.

I'm expecting a Roscommon win but hoping desperately for a Cavan one.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

I find it incredibly hard to call.

It boils down to the mindset of both teams.

Are Cavan really feeling good about themselves after losing narrowly to Monaghan and winning easily against London? Are they out for revenge or do they feel that Roscommon have the upper hand on them in recent form?

And what of Roscommon? Is Evans going to prove his worth and convince them that the Sligo game was a one off or are did that game take a serious chunk out of their perceived confidence?

It's a big game for both teams and management. Whoever loses will have some serious questions to answer about their future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I can't call it but hope we turn out in numbers unlike last year

On a side note out of all the division 2 teams Westmeath are the only unbeaten team .....not something too many would have predicted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Can't see a big crowd on Saturday, 5pm is too early for lots of people and the fact that the game is live on TV won't help either.
    If Roscommon play to their potential I can't see where cavan will get enough scores from to beat them. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'll be travelling more in hope than expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Need Killian Clarke back with Rory Dunne out

Will struggle at the back, but if we can compete with Monaghan at home, surely we are at the same level as the Rossies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

anyone have any word on Clarke?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did Anthony Forde say in an interview that there was a good chance Rory Dunne would play?
    Thought he was out for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

cavan4sam wrote: »
    I can't call it but hope we turn out in numbers unlike last year

On a side note out of all the division 2 teams Westmeath are the only unbeaten team .....not something too many would have predicted

For now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

Did Anthony Forde say in an interview that there was a good chance Rory Dunne would play?
    Thought he was out for the summer.

He did but I heard it be to soon for him might be available for next game if we win.

Uncle Ben wrote:
    For now....

Yes but they have 3 wins under their belt....

willabur wrote: »
    anyone have any word on Clarke?

He won't be fit. I'm hearing McEnroe will play full back but the position was a big problem in a recent challenge against Tipp.

Cavan ended up winning 2-20 to 2-14 if I remember the score correctly but didn't start well and were 2-6 to 2 or 3 points down at one stage.

If I was naming the team

Galligan
    McLoughlin
    McEnroe
    Hayes
    F. Flanagan
    Damien Reilly
    Ciaran Brady
    Mossy Corr
    Gearoid McKiernan
    Martin Reilly
    Dara Mc
    Niall Murray
    Niall Mc
    Mick Argue
    Ronan Flanagan

Mackey and M Dunne available to come on.

Jampip wrote: »
    If I was naming the team

Galligan
    McLoughlin
    McEnroe
    Hayes
    F. Flanagan
    Damien Reilly
    Ciaran Brady
    Mossy Corr
    Gearoid McKiernan
    Martin Reilly
    Dara Mc
    Niall Murray
    Niall Mc
    Mick Argue
    Ronan Flanagan

Mackey and M Dunne available to come on.

not sure if niall murray will make it if mackey or dunne are fully fit ....not saying he doesnt deserve it but probably wont start in my opinion ....doubt hayes will start either he doesnt seem to be flavour of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

not sure if niall murray will make it if mackey or dunne are fully fit ....not saying he doesnt deserve it but probably wont start in my opinion ....doubt hayes will start either he doesnt seem to be flavour of the month
    Very little chance of Hayes getting a look in. There's no basis for thinking he will although I know Jampip is just giving his team and not a guess at what the team will be.

I suppose it'd be a bit of a push to think that Sankey would be involved with Dunne and Clarke out?

I'd actually start the Gunner full back as crazy as that seems. I don't think McEnroe is tight enough. I'd say the rest of Jampip's team should be there or thereabouts.

I'd actually start the Gunner full back as crazy as that seems. I don't think McEnroe is tight enough. I'd say the rest of Jampip's team should be there or thereabouts.

I'd love to try mossy at full back he's big and physical and would give kilbride his fill of it. ....i guess this isnt the game for those sort of experiments though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=240234

interview with Forde...Rory Dunne may be available, Killian Clarke to have a late fitness test and Martin Dunne fit

Id rather McEnroe or Clarke at full back to Corr....when tried a few years ago, I didnt think he looked comfortable under the high ball, and against the Rossies I believe they will use the long ball in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I'd love to try mossy at full back he's big and physical and would give kilbride his fill of it. ....i guess this isnt the game for those sort of experiments though

Mossy was tried a few years ago in there, was a disaster from what I recall. In any case I think we need his abrasiveness around the middle of the field.

Advertisement