Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=240234

interview with Forde...Rory Dunne may be available, Killian Clarke to have a late fitness test and Martin Dunne fit

Id rather McEnroe or Clarke at full back to Corr....when tried a few years ago, I didnt think he looked comfortable under the high ball, and against the Rossies I believe they will use the long ball in.

I think Forde is playing silly beggars. The info I have is that Dunne won't be back until the next round and Clarke won't be risked. He tweaked his hamstring in London and they don't want to chance it again.

I don't think the 15 I picked is necessarily the best 15 we have but its a 15 to start the game with a view to Dunne and Mackey being sprung from the bench.

Killian Brady is too small for full back IMO. We need a physical presence in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

The gunner is a liability in the full back line. He gives away a lot of frees and today will be decided on frees. Rory Dunne is such a tidy footballer, it's an awful pity to see him out. McEnroe probably will start. It's going to be anervy first 15 minutes if Roscommon get balls into their FF line. I still think Cavan can do it.

irish_man wrote: »
    The gunner is a liability in the full back line. He gives away a lot of frees and today will be decided on frees. Rory Dunne is such a tidy footballer, it's an awful pity to see him out. McEnroe probably will start. It's going to be anervy first 15 minutes if Roscommon get balls into their FF line. I still think Cavan can do it.

Team named:

Galligan
    McLoughlin
    McEnroe
    Brady
    Damien Reilly
    F. Flanagan
    Niall Murray
    Gearoid McKiernan
    Mossy Corr
    Martin Reilly
    Dara Mc
    Mackey
    McDermott
    Argue
    R Flanagan

Not happy to see Mackey start. I'm hoping that's a dummy team. Wouldn't like Murray in the half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Is Cavan game on TV today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Is Cavan game on TV today?
    Yes on RTE at 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Yes on RTE at 5pm.

Thanks I wonder can you watch it on RTE+1 as well?...won't make it to seeing live.

I don't think there's any way a positive spin can be put on that display lads.

One annoying thing though - if this wasn't a televised game, Corr wouldn't have been sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Jampip wrote: »

One annoying thing though - if this wasn't a televised game, Corr wouldn't have been sent off.

Fair points both

The only thing you could credit was that the towel was never thrown in. But apart from that, this is a very disappointing day

Credit to the u14 girls- beating Cork today in the All Ireland final

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Was Corr sent off after the officials looked at what he did on a TV at half time?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I didn't see when the incident occurred (though I did see the incident) but if it was brought to the referee's attention by his officials after the half time whistle, he could only send him off when the players returned for the second half.

• Advertisement

I didn't see when the incident occurred (though I did see the incident) but if it was brought to the referee's attention by his officials after the half time whistle, he could only send him off when the players returned for the second half.

I was at the game but didn't see what he did, do you think it was a red card?

tanko wrote: »
    Was Corr sent off after the officials looked at what he did on a TV at half time?

That's what I heard. The replay showed what he did.

That's what I heard. The replay showed what he did.

I thought the officials weren't allowed to use tv replays to make decisions like that. Did they review all incidents in the first half.
    Just saw the incident on the news, it looked harmless enough but probably didn't affect the result I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Rough stuff.. Poor performance by management and the players. McEnroe was exposed. Argue just didn't work out at full forward. Mackey and Martin Reilly far too sloppy. Losing McDermott was a blow. Absolute stupidity from Corr boxing someone in front of the umpires. Amateur in the extreme from management with the attempt to get away with it.

The few positives.. Barry Reilly showed good leadership when he came on. Niall Murray did well and so did McVeety.

Perhaps it's time for Terry to move on but the lack of options won't go with him. The players and in particular the forwards just aren't there. We've come a long way under Terry but there's still a long way to go before we can realistically challenge for Ulster.

At least we have the Minors still in the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

I have heard Cavan are lodging a objection in relation to the red card . wouldn't have much faith in where I heard it but has to be some rule in the timescale.

Can't see it doing any good. Same happened Quigley against Fermanagh in 2013 as I recall. We deserved nothing from this game and it was a deserved red. Take the beating.

Rough stuff.. Poor performance by management and the players. McEnroe was exposed. Argue just didn't work out at full forward. Mackey and Martin Reilly far too sloppy. Losing McDermott was a blow. Absolute stupidity from Corr boxing someone in front of the umpires. Amateur in the extreme from management with the attempt to get away with it.

The few positives.. Barry Reilly showed good leadership when he came on. Niall Murray did well and so did McVeety.

Perhaps it's time for Terry to move on but the lack of options won't go with him. The players and in particular the forwards just aren't there. We've come a long way under Terry but there's still a long way to go before we can realistically challenge for Ulster.

At least we have the Minors still in the running.

The annoying thing is I could have told you that whole first paragraph before a ball was even thrown in. Why was Argue persisted with at full forward? It clearly wasn't working.

We need a manager who can get the most out of these players and I don't think Terry is it. They are a talented but limited bunch whom I think the right manager could have a degree of success with.

Re losing McDermott, I didn't see it as a big blow tbh. For some reason, he seemed to be back on our own 40 rather than near Roscommon's goal where he should have been.

Also, can Martin Reilly please stop taking long range frees. Why the hell wasn't Galligan attempting them? Martin's a good, honest lad but he just doesn't have the arrogance to be top class.

I was wrong about Niall Murray. He was arguably our best player. Barry Reilly made a mockery of the decision to bring on Tom Hayes before him.

Martin Reilly taking the frees puzzled me too. I'd guess his success rate with those frees is in or around 50% overall. Nowhere near good enough. Galligan surely should be given a go at least. I know he missed two against Monaghan but they were from much further out and it was much more pressurised.

I don't blame them for putting on Hayes before Reilly, Hayes was put on as an inside forward, Barry was playing half forward.

McEnroe's defending for Smith's second goal was just awful awful stuff. What happened to when our tackling was top class?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Martin Reilly taking the frees puzzled me too. I'd guess his success rate with those frees is in or around 50% overall. Nowhere near good enough. Galligan surely should be given a go at least. I know he missed two against Monaghan but they were from much further out and it was much more pressurised.

I don't blame them for putting on Hayes before Reilly, Hayes was put on as an inside forward, Barry was playing half forward.

McEnroe's defending for Smith's second goal was just awful awful stuff. What happened to when our tackling was top class?

To be fair to McEnroe and the backs,they were left isolated and in one on one situations in the second half probably more than they have in the last three years combined and that Roscommon forward line is very talented. We conceded 2-10 in the second half which is awful even down a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

Barry Reilly was unreal yesterday. His ability to kick points from far out was refreshing. Did he actually put that side line ball over the bar? What happened with that?

I'd like to say Terrys time is at an end but who can replace him? He has brought Cavan on a lot but 3 games is not enough championship football for us to be playing.

Argue was terrible in the full forward line and plenty of decent ball was fired into him. He just doesn't have a quick twitch in his body. After yesterday Mossy Corr isn't good enough to play alongside Gearoid.

We need Givney, Keating, Tierney and Declan McKiernan back in there. The last two in the squad anyway. I've heard from Tierney that he will never play under Terry again. I don't know what's been said but with such a small pick we can't be throwing out our good squad players. Tom Hayes is a grand fella but just too small. If Keating or Tierney were coming on surely they would be better.

I've said it before but I think Declan is playing his best football yet for Killashandra this year. He has dropped all his bulk and has been rewarded with pace. Kevin Tierney should take a leaf out of his book and Nicolas Walsh should not be let near our young talent again.

• Advertisement

irish_man wrote: »
    Barry Reilly was unreal yesterday. His ability to kick points from far out was refreshing. Did he actually put that side line ball over the bar? What happened with that?

I'd like to say Terrys time is at an end but who can replace him? He has brought Cavan on a lot but 3 games is not enough championship football for us to be playing.

Argue was terrible in the full forward line and plenty of decent ball was fired into him. He just doesn't have a quick twitch in his body. After yesterday Mossy Corr isn't good enough to play alongside Gearoid.

We need Givney, Keating, Tierney and Declan McKiernan back in there. The last two in the squad anyway. I've heard from Tierney that he will never play under Terry again. I don't know what's been said but with such a small pick we can't be throwing out our good squad players. Tom Hayes is a grand fella but just too small. If Keating or Tierney were coming on surely they would be better.

I've said it before but I think Declan is playing his best football yet for Killashandra this year. He has dropped all his bulk and has been rewarded with pace. Kevin Tierney should take a leaf out of his book and Nicolas Walsh should not be let near our young talent again.

I taped the game on RTE. Reilly did put the sideline ball over the bar but Argue ran into the square so it was a square ball according to the commentary team.

Despite what others here will try and argue, Tierney is not the only player who has said that and everyone in the county knows it. We've an awful lot of lads very committed to their work!!!

The info I've been told is that Terry and Forde will walk away anyway. They've given enough at this stage and leave us in Division 2 and, despite yesterday's result, in a good condition to move forward.

Re replacements, McStay or McEntee will be linked I'd say. If I was picking anyone, it'd be Justin McNulty. I think he could do a top job with our lads.

A different player could have moved in corner forward. Mackey for example, allowing Reilly to go onto the 40.

Hayes was poor. Martin Dunne or Enda Reilly even would have been a better bet.

I doubt Reilly's success rate is even 50%. I'd say it's more like 25%. Don't get me wrong, he's one of our best players but a long range free taker he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Bullsh**

They are all miked up. If the umpires seen it, all they had to say was Cavans 9 struck Roscommon 18, and he should have been sent off before the teams went in at ht

As for the Quigley incident...totally different....what he did from what I can remember was after the half time whistle so referee had to discuss it with his officials and had probably no option but to send him off at the start of the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Bullsh**

They are all miked up. If the umpires seen it, all they had to say was Cavans 9 struck Roscommon 18, and he should have been sent off before the teams went in at ht

As for the Quigley incident...totally different....what he did from what I can remember was after the half time whistle so referee had to discuss it with his officials and had probably no option but to send him off at the start of the second half
    The linesmen and referee are miced up but I didn't think the umpires are?

As for the game, massively disappointed. The game was there to be won had we kept 15 men on the pitch. We were dominant at midfield and despite the Argue experiment failing again, I feel we could have won.

Instead we lose a man and game over.

I think our tactics in the second half were naive and I also think a couple of the players were lacking in effort, although only a couple.

The most difficult part for me though is the bull**** I'm having to listen to and read about after the game.

Cavan have no forwards I'm told. So what? We had no forwards last week either. Divisional teams should be set up says someone on Hoganstand. Do people actually think that there's a unknown star out there that Hyland has missed?

And then there's the inevitable calls for a certain forward to be recalled. Just what we need.

If Corr had stayed on and we'd squeaked past then none of this would be up for debate. I read that Ciaran Whelan says we have no Plan B and that we always play with two sweepers. Here's punditry at its worst. In our three games to date we've played man for man for long periods of the game. We started the game man for man and in the second half we actually left ourselves too open at the back. But Whelan must have just decided to read from the book of Brolly rather than watch the game.

Maybe it's time for Terry to leave and if he does he does it with my gratitude and with his head held high. He's much more of a Cavan man than the likes of the "saviour" we're waiting on to save all our attacking deficiencies.

As for the game, massively disappointed. The game was there to be won had we kept 15 men on the pitch. We were dominant at midfield and despite the Argue experiment failing again, I feel we could have won.

Instead we lose a man and game over.

I call bull**** on this to be honest. Even in the first half, we were lucky to be within a point and we wouldn't have won that game. How many wides did Roscommon kick?

The sending off made things worse but I really feared for us at Half Time, even before Corr went.

Since Terry Hyland took over this team, our forwards haven't had a chance because of slow, ponderous play down the pitch. That remains the problem. We need to break at speed and I believe we have the players to do it. That's why he needs to go in my opinion.

I call bull**** on this to be honest. Even in the first half, we were lucky to be within a point and we wouldn't have won that game. How many wides did Roscommon kick?

The sending off made things worse but I really feared for us at Half Time, even before Corr went.

Since Terry Hyland took over this team, our forwards haven't had a chance because of slow, ponderous play down the pitch. That remains the problem. We need to break at speed and I believe we have the players to do it. That's why he needs to go in my opinion.
    You mean you disagree with me? Hard to say something is bull**** when it didn't get a chance to materialise isn't it?

I agree we were lucky to be close to them but close we were. They had a strong wind for over half the first half and missed their chance to open a lead. Why you would have feared for us with the wind behind us to come is beyond me. Everyone I was with was hoping to keep the score down as HT approached and we were all quietly confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Bullsh**

corr1.gif

Corr closed his fist and rabbit punched Harney in the back of the head. It was dangerous and childish. Milked it my arse.

The officials had no opportunity until half-time to tell Gough what happened. The first break in player after the incident the referee blew up for half-time. Nothing to do with cameras or unfairness in any sense. Cavan's management trying to pull a fast one by subbing Corr out at the half tells you they knew he was fûcked.

I have a lot of time for Cavan but ye only have yourselves to blame for that incident.

Syferus wrote: »
    corr1.gif

Corr closed his fist and rabbit punched Harney in the back of the head. It was dangerous and childish. Milked it my arse.

The officials had no opportunity until half-time to tell Gough what happened. The first break in player after the incident the referee blew up for half-time. Nothing to do with cameras or unfairness in any sense. Cavan's management trying to pull a fast one by subbing Corr out at the half tells you they knew he was fûcked.

I have a lot of time for Cavan but ye only have yourselves to blame for that incident.
    Syferus, have another look at the post you're replying to. Nobody mentioned milked it, miked up he said.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post and I don't really care how he was sent off. He deserved what he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

They are all miked up.
    Syferus wrote: »
    Milked it my arse.
    ;)

It was absolutely a red card, and appears to have been handled correctly by the officials. Also an incredibly stupid thing to do. On a hot, humid day like Saturday, playing a high-tempo type of game against a team well capable of spraying kick-passes about, it cost us any chance of winning

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

28064212 wrote: »
    ;)

It was absolutely a red card, and appears to have been handled correctly by the officials. Also an incredibly stupid thing to do. On a hot, humid day like Saturday, playing a high-tempo type of game against a team well capable of spraying kick-passes about, it cost us any chance of winning

Sorry lads, read it wrong. All on me.

Advertisement