Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

celt262 wrote: »
    Are those games definitely going ahead word on the street is all is off until the Minor are finished.

That game is going ahead. Mullahoran don't have any minors on the panel but Kingscourt have two. Kingscourt have been given permission to play their minors if they want to

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Anyone know if you an you block certain members posts on this site?

There's an ignore function.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tom Joad wrote:
    There has been 29 All-Ireland Finals in that time so 29 losing and 29 winning managers.

Tom Joad wrote:
    Of those 58 managers:

Tom Joad wrote:
    53 were natives of the county they managed - that is 91%

Interesting stuff Tom. I'd be interested in seeing what percentage of winning managers had won all irelands themselves.

The nothern countries would stand out here , as so many picked up their first for their counties in the past 25 years.

Take say dublin, the last five managers to win all Ireland's all had a players medal as a player.

Jack O'Connor has none as a player, I think that makes him standout in Kerry anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Tom Joad wrote: »
    53 were natives of the county they managed - that is 91%

The 5 who were not were

1998 Winning manager John O'Mahony, losing manager Mick O'Dwyer
    2000 losing manager O'Mahony
    2001 winning manager John O'Mahony
    2006 losing manager Mickey Moran

\pedant you forgot larry tompkins in 99;)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd be interested in seeing what percentage of winning managers had won all irelands themselves.

Going back to 1974, I work out that 22 have won as a player, 19 haven't.

Winners
    Micko 8
    Kevin Heffernan 3
    Tony Hanahoe 1
    Billy Morgan 2
    Pat O'Neill 1
    Paidi 2
    Conor Counihan 1
    Pat Gilroy 1
    Jim McGuinness 1
    Jim Gavin 1
    Eamon Fitzmaurice 1

Didn't win one
    Eugene McGee 1
    Sean Boylan 4
    Pete McGrath 2
    Brian McEniff 1
    Eamon Coleman 1
    John O'Mahony 2
    Joe Kernan 1
    Micky Harte 3
    Jack O'Connor 3
    Pat O'Shea 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

\pedant you forgot larry tompkins in 99;)

There's always one :). Had considered footnoting Larry - he's a naturalised Corkman by now surely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tom Joad wrote:
    There's always one . Had considered footnoting Larry - he's a naturalised Corkman by now surely

I agree Tom, I thought against pointing it out, based on the fact that he played for and in Cork knew the clubs and players,

Different to just walking in and managing a team without that level of familiarity knowledge.

Either way you look at it he messes up your stats.

Unlucky for the minors today. Derry were the better team over the sixty minutes. Hopefully they make a final yet.

Young David Brady looked in the second half like he could be the full forward the seniors need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Jampip wrote: »
    Unlucky for the minors today. Derry were the better team over the sixty minutes. Hopefully they make a final yet.

Young David Brady looked in the second half like he could be the full forward the seniors need.

wouldn't call it unlucky. shocking forward play cost them dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

tanko wrote: »
    wouldn't call it unlucky. shocking forward play cost them dear.

I thought they seemed fairly clueless. First ball into Brady worked and it took them a long time to try it again.

An awful lot of running with the ball with no idea what to do when they met a Derry wall.

Glass was overshadowed by some other excellent Derry players I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Shocking call by the ref on the blatant penalty today but in truth we didn't deserve anything from the game. Hard to see us getting any joy from what looks like an excellent Kildare team.

Is David Brady still Minor next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Shocking call by the ref on the blatant penalty today but in truth we didn't deserve anything from the game. Hard to see us getting any joy from what looks like an excellent Kildare team.

Is David Brady still Minor next year?

Doubt it as this is his third year at minor.

I thought they seemed fairly clueless. First ball into Brady worked and it took them a long time to try it again.

An awful lot of running with the ball with no idea what to do when they met a Derry wall.

Glass was overshadowed by some other excellent Derry players I thought.

Their management has been naive all year. We were very lucky to pull the Antrim game back.

But then it seems people want inexperienced managers from within the county to manage these teams so what can you do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Jampip wrote:
    But then it seems people want inexperienced managers from within the county to manage these teams so what can you do.....

Ah i was wondering how you'd fit it in to your post today. ....

Disappointed with the result but hopefully we can get a result against Kildare ...to be honest i think we might have been complacent going into the game .

It's good experience for these lads, I don't think this is a particularly special Minor team. People can go on about the MacRory team but the likes of Ryan O'Neill wasn't making the first 15 yet started for the Minors. The likes of Galligan, Pierce Smith, Cian McManus were the driving force of that MacRory team. Makes you wonder how the Minors performed so poorly against Armagh last year.. But anyways.
    Nothing to loose against Kildare now, probably will be less defensive than Derry so maybe we'll make more progress up front.

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Ah i was wondering how you'd fit it in to your post today. ....

Disappointed with the result but hopefully we can get a result against Kildare ...to be honest i think we might have been complacent going into the game .

Would you not agree that at times the management of the minors this year has been very poor? The tactics against Antrim in the first half were ridiculous. A better team would have been out of sight.

All this talk about going man-to-man and playing open football. It won't work. You can play attacking football but still need tactics to suit it.

On another note from yesterday, Monaghan's gameplan was exactly the same as Peter Reilly's U21 teams throughout their Ulster campaigns. Patient play around the midfield, knock it around side to side probe for gaps and openings and pick the right pass at the right time. No panic, no feeling pressured into kicking a ball for the sake of it or because the crowd is roaring at you. It ain't pretty to watch but it certainly works against a blanket defence if you can implement it correctly.

Anyone know the likely location for the Kildare game? Any chance of a day out in Croker?

Club championship starts in Breffni on Friday night with Kingscourt v Mullahoran in the first preliminary.

I'd fancy Kingscourt to win this if Joe Dillon and Padraig Faulkner are back after injury. Should be a good game and looking forward to it.

Does anyone have the draw for the championship or know who is in the other preliminary round match?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

Club championship starts in Breffni on Friday night with Kingscourt v Mullahoran in the first preliminary.

I'd fancy Kingscourt to win this if Joe Dillon and Padraig Faulkner are back after injury. Should be a good game and looking forward to it.

Does anyone have the draw for the championship or know who is in the other preliminary round match?

I heard earlier in year that Joe Dillon won't play football again it was a Kingscourt man who told me.

I heard earlier in year that Joe Dillon won't play football again it was a Kingscourt man who told me.

As in ever again???

• Advertisement

As in ever again???

Yeah apparently has serious back/spinal injury I cannot remember exactly what he said.

Yeah apparently has serious back/spinal injury I cannot remember exactly what he said.

Ah jaysus that's terrible - I knew he was struggling with injuries but nothing of that nature. Some things are more important than football though.

Ah jaysus that's terrible - I knew he was struggling with injuries but nothing of that nature. Some things are more important than football though.

I was told he is ok but just cannot play contact sport.

Not much talk of it around the county so maybe it not as bad as what I heard, I would hope not anyway.

I was told he is ok but just cannot play contact sport.

Not much talk of it around the county so maybe it not as bad as what I heard, I would hope not anyway.

Terrible news for the lad but as long as he's ok day to day I suppose that's all that matters.

Anyone else hear that Dom Corrigan was leaving the Gaels after just a few weeks in charge? Apparently their squad is in a bit of a shambles at the moment.

Terrible news for the lad but as long as he's ok day to day I suppose that's all that matters.

Anyone else hear that Dom Corrigan was leaving the Gaels after just a few weeks in charge? Apparently their squad is in a bit of a shambles at the moment.

Absolutely - he had the potential to have a long inter county career for Cavan but as you said his day to day health is far more important.

Didn't hear anything about Corrigan but will keep my ear to the ground - had other commitments so didn't make Clones yesterday and wasn't down at the club this weekend so would have heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Heard that as well. That would be bad for the Gaels two weeks before the championship especially as Cormac Nelligan got a two month ban the other night. He was the local man on management team!

So Senior Championship Starts tonight with the two preliminary games

Kingscourt v Mullahoran in Breffni

and Drumgoon v Denn in Ramor

Would expect a decent crowd in Breffni with such a good evening for football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

It doesn't matter where a new manager is from if he can inspire the team. That's if there will be a new manager.

Did it matter where Martin McHugh was from when Cavan last won Ulster? Anyway Cavan lack quality forwards, a new manager can only work with what's available.

5 5 half time Kingscourt mullahoran. Long delay for injury to Enda Reilly

• Advertisement

Mullahoran won 1 9 to 1 8. Poor quality but exciting finish. Barry Reilly, Alan Clarke and Paul Brady stood out for me. Interesting to see Mullahoran use Paul at FF - he tormented Kingscourt all night. Nasty injury for Enda Reilly. Left the field in an ambulance which is never nice to see.

Advertisement