Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

rrs wrote: »
    The first half was one of the poorest games of football in a long time. 5pts to 2.

Some tight tactical battles, but most people like to see entertaining football especially at Club level. When the County games are like a game of chess it's hard to watch the same at Club level.

2nd half was 1 7 to 6. Can't really complain about that. Players are much more tactically aware themselves too and managers should always try and nullify the opposition threats which both teams done. Barry Reilly was quiet from play too. Oisin O Connell got little joy inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

The game opened up a bit in the last 15/20 as I said in a earlier post ,but uptill then it wasn't pretty viewing for a neutral supporter,

Oisin O Connell hit 1 class point in first half was well marked otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I would have given Fergal Reilly MOTM to be honest. Defensive seems to suit Castlerahan to be honest....sit back, entice opposition up the field and then hit teams on the break with the pace of Mackey O Connell and Enda Flanagan. But defences won out....both teams had one goal chance and Kingscourt took theirs while Castlerahan didnt

Cavan is producing a lot of solid defenders. Fergal Reilly and Faulkner will probaly be on the County panel next year,

Not enough free scoring forwards that's the problem.

Cavan is producing a lot of solid defenders. Fergal Reilly and Faulkner will probaly be on the County panel next year,

Not enough free scoring forwards that's the problem.

They might not be in for simple fact we have lots of cover in the backs. No new forwards have really shone but Oisin O Connell did impress this year. On Sunday he was forced to come deep looking for ball. When he got it inside he was dangerous but didn't happen enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

RIP JJ Reilly Cavan Gaels a true GAA man for club and county

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Had him as an English teacher for a number of years in St. Pats, gentleman. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Poor enough senior final,two teams who were afraid to go and win it,in my opinion the best team lost. Regarding the minor final,Sheridan really s**t himself with that lack of a decision to give laragh a free to win it,absolutley shocking lack of balls from him,ps i"not a laragh man

• Registered Users Posts: 3 footieman123

Thought the county final was brilliant in terms of tactics and match ups both teams got them perfect! Both teams wanted to stop the short kick outs but the pace of the players and width of the field meant it was almost impossible. How castlerahan let Tully and Tinnely up the field so freely so much baffles me they used the width of the pitch well ..felt for castlerahan Paul Smith especially in the end he was their main link and ran well. I thought subs won the game Philly Smith was instrumental and kicked a great point from 40 yards. For kingscourt well they can fairly see out a game their backs were extremely tight Shane grey and Faulkner were excellent and also McIntyre considering the threat of Mackey and O'Connell. Midfield Barry Reilly was well marshalled but kicked the vital frees! Young Corrigan gave a fine display in the forwards for kcourt and a great prospect! For castlerahan Cormac Daly with a bit of experience will do well and showed he can score. Stephen Cooney was very good Enda O'Connell was excellent considering Daragh Gunnes form, fergal Reilly also done well. I actually Thought Mackey was poor considering he is a county senior ..Which brings me to the county seniors? I can't see Terry getting the players to believe in his plan/system again thing it's gone stale counter attacking football is perfect and patient build ups but unless you have four people who can score up front... How many shone in the championship county standard wise? Will he bring many in? Will players go in considering the manager sticks to the same starting team in championship all year? Gibney and Keating need to be there and I hate to say it but Johnston against kcourt was outstanding carrying a knock.

Giveny had surgery earlier in the year played and has played very little footbal with Ballymun this year.

Cavan lack athletic 6f plus players, they play patient build up play for a reason. Look at the size of the forwards that started against Roscommon.

Rip to JJ Reily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Thought the county final was brilliant in terms of tactics and match ups both teams got them perfect! Both teams wanted to stop the short kick outs but the pace of the players and width of the field meant it was almost impossible. How castlerahan let Tully and Tinnely up the field so freely so much baffles me they used the width of the pitch well ..felt for castlerahan Paul Smith especially in the end he was their main link and ran well. I thought subs won the game Philly Smith was instrumental and kicked a great point from 40 yards. For kingscourt well they can fairly see out a game their backs were extremely tight Shane grey and Faulkner were excellent and also McIntyre considering the threat of Mackey and O'Connell. Midfield Barry Reilly was well marshalled but kicked the vital frees! Young Corrigan gave a fine display in the forwards for kcourt and a great prospect! For castlerahan Cormac Daly with a bit of experience will do well and showed he can score. Stephen Cooney was very good Enda O'Connell was excellent considering Daragh Gunnes form, fergal Reilly also done well. I actually Thought Mackey was poor considering he is a county senior ..Which brings me to the county seniors? I can't see Terry getting the players to believe in his plan/system again thing it's gone stale counter attacking football is perfect and patient build ups but unless you have four people who can score up front... How many shone in the championship county standard wise? Will he bring many in? Will players go in considering the manager sticks to the same starting team in championship all year? Gibney and Keating need to be there and I hate to say it but Johnston against kcourt was outstanding carrying a knock.

Agree with most of that. Re Mackey, he got on a lot of ball considering there was 1 2 or 3 on him at all times....he played the pass of the match playing Paul Smith in with a 40 yard crossfield ball for his score...took his frees well.
    Castlerahan missed a trick by not having more lads running of him to take 2 or 3 Kingscourt defenders out of the game.

Re Johnston...please No!!

Agree with most of that. Re Mackey, he got on a lot of ball considering there was 1 2 or 3 on him at all times....he played the pass of the match playing Paul Smith in with a 40 yard crossfield ball for his score...took his frees well.
    Castlerahan missed a trick by not having more lads running of him to take 2 or 3 Kingscourt defenders out of the game.

Re Johnston...please No!!

Just my opinion re Mackey and indeed Johnston.

I can't agree with you on the two/three on him at all times and bar that one pass he didn't do much. I thought he needed to come deeper out the field as he's more efficient at cutting teams open with passes and then getting onto it. Great player like should have been more involved!

Regarding the above post about look at the size of roscmn and we need more 6ft plus athletes? Don't agree that's why we lost there? The fundamentals were very poor and simple tackling and kick passes lost it for us? Not to mention decision making along the line. Never seen a team give away as many frees away in the first twenty than that day? We kicked ball after ball into argue it worked twice !

We need to get the simple stuff right.. no point having lads 6ft plus 15 stone Greek gods on the pitch if they can't kick/catch/tackle... We had a blanket in place against rscmn they kicked passed it with a simple ball in front and Harney and Smith(not 6ft plus) destroyed us!

And decisions on the line? Free takers should be set Martin wasn't kicking them from distance.. Damien Reilly is tried and tested at this stage passed it once in the first half and it was a fumble on the ground.. killian brady also. Again this is just an opinion I love Cavan we have the players but we need to get the best of them!

Just my opinion re Mackey and indeed Johnston.

I can't agree with you on the two/three on him at all times and bar that one pass he didn't do much. I thought he needed to come deeper out the field as he's more efficient at cutting teams open with passes and then getting onto it. Great player like should have been more involved!

Regarding the above post about look at the size of roscmn and we need more 6ft plus athletes? Don't agree that's why we lost there? The fundamentals were very poor and simple tackling and kick passes lost it for us? Not to mention decision making along the line. Never seen a team give away as many frees away in the first twenty than that day? We kicked ball after ball into argue it worked twice !

We need to get the simple stuff right.. no point having lads 6ft plus 15 stone Greek gods on the pitch if they can't kick/catch/tackle... We had a blanket in place against rscmn they kicked passed it with a simple ball in front and Harney and Smith(not 6ft plus) destroyed us!

And decisions on the line? Free takers should be set Martin wasn't kicking them from distance.. Damien Reilly is tried and tested at this stage passed it once in the first half and it was a fumble on the ground.. killian brady also. Again this is just an opinion I love Cavan we have the players but we need to get the best of them!

No there wouldn't be a poin..t thats not what I was suggesting. Players who can break a tackle take a score,w ithout having to play lateral passes.

Cathal Gregg, Donie Shine powered though the Cavan defence that day. Faulkner would add some steel to that defence. Rory Dunne likely to be out for a while.

Killian Clarke wpould also improve that team, Missed the last 2 chamoionshio camppains with Cavan.

Turloc Mooney fully fit would also be a help.

Btw Enda Smith is 6f 2. Check on the Connacht Gaa site

Btw Enda Smith is 6f 2. Check the Connacht Gaa site

Btw Enda Smith is 6f 2. Check the Connacht Gaa site

Sorry honestly just pointing out my own view Smith was on McEnroe height shouldn't have been an issue balls that were played in were pot passes! Re injured players? You will always have some...Clarke is a class act and an excellent tackler! He would improve any team no doubt but it wasn't the players missing against roscomn? They were ill disciplined their tackling was extremely poor? The game plan into argue failed and brought on Hayes and kicked ridiculous balls in on top of him? Basic kick/hand passing was sloppy? No plan b?....you can't put all the blame on management some has to fall on the players and also just bad luck! McDermotts injury was just a huge blow.

Why we are talking about that roscommon game I don't know !

Anyways will be interesting to see the players and I'm excited to hear the panel! I only hope David Brady is not brought in just yet huge talent needs to be minded!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Is Cavan v Armagh in Breffni since Cavan were drawn first?

tanko wrote: »
    Is Cavan v Armagh in Breffni since Cavan were drawn first?

Yeah in Breffni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

why is the Kingscourt game in Ulster club championship being played in Breffni and not in Kingscourt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    why is the Kingscourt game in Ulster club championship being played in Breffni and not in Kingscourt.

why was it played at all ???
    holy cow they took a beating but i'd say that kilcoo team will be hard beaten

More a case of cavan teams being brutal,its not by bad luck or accident that they get the **** kicked out of them 99%of the time

More a case of cavan teams being brutal,its not by bad luck or accident that they get the **** kicked out of them 99%of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Croke park today ruled against County Monaghan underage hurlers from playing with Cootehill Celtic Hurling club, which has to be the most stupid rule ever. These young monaghan lads were playing with the club nearest to them i.e. Cootehill and now they are being told NO. But it was okay for Kerry footballer Tomas O Se to play for Cork club Nemo Rangers and numerous other county stars playing their club matches with other counties?What leaves it worse is that Drumgoon players play with Cootehill hurling as with most hurling teams around this part of the country you need to amagamate other clubs and the president of the GAA being from the Drumgoon club could have thrown a bit of weight around and stopped this ridiculous rule...after all, these players have said they will not play with other clubs other than cootehill and most of them go to school there and are allowed to play for the school in Cootehill....CRAZY jusy CRAZY...Im totally disgusted with this and I think these fools should hang their heads in shame by stopping young players from playing the game they love...:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

muincav wrote: »
    Croke park today ruled against County Monaghan underage hurlers from playing with Cootehill Celtic Hurling club, which has to be the most stupid rule ever. These young monaghan lads were playing with the club nearest to them i.e. Cootehill and now they are being told NO. But it was okay for Kerry footballer Tomas O Se to play for Cork club Nemo Rangers and numerous other county stars playing their club matches with other counties?What leaves it worse is that Drumgoon players play with Cootehill hurling as with most hurling teams around this part of the country you need to amagamate other clubs and the president of the GAA being from the Drumgoon club could have thrown a bit of weight around and stopped this ridiculous rule...after all, these players have said they will not play with other clubs other than cootehill and most of them go to school there and are allowed to play for the school in Cootehill....CRAZY jusy CRAZY...Im totally disgusted with this and I think these fools should hang their heads in shame by stopping young players from playing the game they love...:mad::mad::mad:

crazy preventing young kids from playing a GAA sport.
    They should be encouraging children to go out and play...awful decision

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

comparing it to Thomas O se playing for a Cork city club is completely wrong.
    He lives in Cork, so he can put in an inter (i.e. between) county transfer, and like seanie Johnson back in the days, the only reason such a transfer can be objected to is if they arent moved to a different county.

Here, you have lads living in county monaghan wanting to play for a team in a completely different county than they live.
    The rule is (same as for Thomas O Se) : "Such application shall not be granted unless the player is in permanent residence in the new County. "
    Those lads live in Monaghan, so simply cannot (as it stands) transfer to a club somewhere outside their own county
    There are rules to allow players play for a hurling club separte from a football club, but thats specifically limited to within a county.
    Heres the rule book, and have a look and come back and tell me which rule allows them to live in Monaghan and play for a club in Cavan:
    https://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/2015%20Official%20Guide%20-%20Part%201.pdf

I agree that there should be flexibility for players on the border looking to play a game that their local club doesnt have, but that'd require a new rule and thats something Cootehill could bring to the cavan AGM and get it passed next spring at the GAA Congress.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

comparing it to Thomas O se playing for a Cork city club is completely wrong.
    He lives in Cork, so he can put in an inter (i.e. between) county transfer, and like seanie Johnson back in the days, the only reason such a transfer can be objected to is if they arent moved to a different county.

Here, you have lads living in county monaghan wanting to play for a team in a completely different county than they live.
    The rule is (same as for Thomas O Se) : "Such application shall not be granted unless the player is in permanent residence in the new County. "
    Those lads live in Monaghan, so simply cannot (as it stands) transfer to a club somewhere outside their own county
    There are rules to allow players play for a hurling club separte from a football club, but thats specifically limited to within a county.
    Heres the rule book, and have a look and come back and tell me which rule allows them to live in Monaghan and play for a club in Cavan:
    https://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/2015%20Official%20Guide%20-%20Part%201.pdf

I agree that there should be flexibility for players on the border looking to play a game that their local club doesnt have, but that'd require a new rule and thats something Cootehill could bring to the cavan AGM and get it passed next spring at the GAA Congress.

Cavan AGM? This has come from heavens above, Croker..so thats that..the fact is this lads are being denied a chance to play sport not matter what red tape you want to put on it.Sorry but NO justification for this rule for young underage players and would you like to be the Official who tells some of the very young players they cant play for the club they have always played for? I wouldnt have the heart to do that and watch them cry their eyes out...Typical GAA...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

muincav wrote: »
    Cavan AGM? This has come from heavens above, Croker..so thats that..the fact is this lads are being denied a chance to play sport not matter what red tape you want to put on it.Sorry but NO justification for this rule for young underage players and would you like to be the Official who tells some of the very young players they cant play for the club they have always played for? I wouldnt have the heart to do that and watch them cry their eyes out...Typical GAA...

it seems like typical gaa logic
    i'm sure ye will find ways around it though and i know the original point is , which i agree with , that there should be no need to get creative in these situations

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

How do people with addresses in Roscommon play for Mayo, like those in ballaghdereen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

How do people with addresses in Roscommon play for Mayo, like those in ballaghdereen?

They play club football in Mayo.

Advertisement