Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

celt262 wrote: »
    They play club football in Mayo.

I know that. They live in Roscommon and play club football in Mayo. If this law is so strict as quoted above how can this happen? Seems exception can be made but not in the case of these kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭celt262

I know that. They live in Roscommon and play club football in Mayo. If this law is so strict as quoted above how can this happen? Seems exception can be made but not in the case of these kids.

What is the exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

If you read the last few posts you can see what the exception is, I'm not writing it again for you. May I ask do you believe this Gaa rule is equally distributed to all members

I'm sorry I cannot see one exception can you point it out if I'm missing it.

As for the rule I think it is equally distributed but that does not mean I agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

If you read the last few posts you can see what the exception is, I'm not writing it again for you. May I ask do you believe this Gaa rule is equally distributed to all members
    i have no clue what point you are making

Theres some players who get unlucky by being in a certain parish, but the nearest team then happens to be in a neighbouring parish
    Theres some players who get unlucky to be in a certain county, but the nearest team happens to be over the county bounds.

I'd say what happens with the lads on the Roscommon/ Mayo is that they have first registered as a child with the club across the county bounds, and that is their "first club" so they can play till the day they die for them perfectly ok.
    (it was all a tidy up of the rule book to define "first club" and "own club" and whatnot in the aftermath of the seanie Johnson case, which was actually happening anyhow, but Seanie got associated with it)

To transfer (like the lads in Monaghan) to a cavan club without moving to Cavan or even claiming to, and also to just half transfer for just hurling but remain playing football in Monaghan (which then brings up the question eventually of who these lads would play county for), doesnt seem to be catered for in the rule book.

• Advertisement

Well done to Joe Mcquillan on helping Ireland win last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Loving all these games on the 3G in Breffni.......what a joke that there is still so much football to be played....Breffni League, ACFL and Under 21s with some clubs still in all 3!!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Rules or no rules Cootehill won the under 16 hurling title on the 3G on Sunday morning in terrible conditions. They beat a good East Cavan Gaels side in the final and on Monday last the beat St Phelims in the semi-this is where it gets very interesting, St Phelims have some players from Annalee gaels (another hurling amalg) at under 16 and some of the Annalee gaels will play with East Cavan gaels in the minor hurling (playing for 3 differnent amalgamations in one county..) which means the can be travelling all over the county to even train with any of these 3 amalgamations.My point being why not just let thos young lads from just inside the Monaghan county line play with Cootehill?After all there are others (parents) doing a lot more mileage just to get playing at all in their own county. Crazy crazy rules that denied a few lads a county title yesterday and things need to change in these cases to allow young people to play sport, no matter who its for.

muincav, I agree that there should be some flexibility, but as it is the rules are set up for people to play exclusively within their county and if you want that changed you need to change the rule book with a motion to GAA congress in the Spring.

if you (or the Cootehill club, or the club of the lads in Monaghan) arent bothered setting the wheels of democracy in motion, then you cant blame "them" or "the GAA". The GAA is a very bottom up organisation, and you can get the rule in place if you want to.
    (or just do nothing if you arent bothered)

Whether the rule would get passed is another issue, because if you delve into it, the issue isn't a problem with a transfer across county bounds but rather lack of Hurling in Monaghan compared to Cavan (never thought I'd ever say that!)
    The solution therefore (I can imagine someone from Cork stating at congress) is that Monaghan get their act in order rather than changing the rule book.
    But if you dont at least look to get the rule changed, then you cant complain about the lack of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

muincav, I agree that there should be some flexibility, but as it is the rules are set up for people to play exclusively within their county and if you want that changed you need to change the rule book with a motion to GAA congress in the Spring.

if you (or the Cootehill club, or the club of the lads in Monaghan) arent bothered setting the wheels of democracy in motion, then you cant blame "them" or "the GAA". The GAA is a very bottom up organisation, and you can get the rule in place if you want to.
    (or just do nothing if you arent bothered)

Whether the rule would get passed is another issue, because if you delve into it, the issue isn't a problem with a transfer across county bounds but rather lack of Hurling in Monaghan compared to Cavan (never thought I'd ever say that!)
    The solution therefore (I can imagine someone from Cork stating at congress) is that Monaghan get their act in order rather than changing the rule book.
    But if you dont at least look to get the rule changed, then you cant complain about the lack of one.
    Maybe I wasnt clear in earlier posts but this was brought the whole way to the Top of the GAA from what Im aware (Im not involved with the club) and was turned down so you cant say "you cant complain" because the "wheels of democracy were set in motion" and then derailed by the big wigs who cant see sense....also there is actually More hurling in Monaghan than Cavan and this was about location as Cootehill is the nearest hurling club even though its in Cavan as is the school these lads attend and they can play hurling for the school too..Im sure this will be brought up again by Cootehill and other clubs as Ive heard from others that they were going to have lads from other non hurling parishes in Monaghan and were hoping to play for Cavan teams...so hopefully then something will be done once and for all...

• Advertisement

2 decent McKenna Cup wins, out again on Wed v Monaghan. Not many First 15 playing. No McKiernan, Rory Dunne, Mackey etc Seen the game on Sat night, UUJ didnt have many intercounty players....McBrearty, Clarke Argue and McHugh didnt play. Kieran Hughes and Nolan, the former Dub were the only players I recognised. Worried a wee bit, that we looked small against a College team though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Good to get a draw tonight . Wouldn't read too much into it but it would be nice to get a result against Derry on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Tyrone vs Cavan on Sunday. A tough start to the New Year for us. Should give us a good indication of where we are at. How do you guys see this one going?

treade1 wrote: »
    Tyrone vs Cavan on Sunday. A tough start to the New Year for us. Should give us a good indication of where we are at. How do you guys see this one going?

Hope I'm wrong but can only see us been well beat. If Dublin or Kerry were playing Tyrone in Omagh they would get there fill of it.

celt262 wrote: »
    Hope I'm wrong but can only see us been well beat. If Dublin or Kerry were playing Tyrone in Omagh they would get there fill of it.
    it was a tight game in the end.

Does anyone know if theres highlights somewhere to be found?

Yeah a lot closer than I though hopefully pick a win up this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

There's approx three minutes of highlights on the Gaelic football section of independant.ie

Missed out on at least a draw on Saturday night. Better game management in the first half, would have given us a win. Didnt play well with the wind behind us which cost us, even though the ref was poor. Encouraging signs though, if lads can be a little bit cuter eg long ball on occasion when playing with the wind

Missed out on at least a draw on Saturday night. Better game management in the first half, would have given us a win. Didnt play well with the wind behind us which cost us, even though the ref was poor. Encouraging signs though, if lads can be a little bit cuter eg long ball on occasion when playing with the wind
    this was the opinion of Eugene mcGee too in todays indo. There might be something in the idea !

Eugene McGee: If you insist on playing all-out defence, at least do it right

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

this was the opinion of Eugene mcGee too in todays indo. There might be something in the idea !

Eugene McGee: If you insist on playing all-out defence, at least do it right

He was at the game and still couldn't get the correct half time score. Then again what would you expect from a man writing for a pathetic rag of a newspaper like the Indo. An article full of bitter cheap shots to Cavan supporters, players and management. Another outdated washed up and completely classless ex manager (like wee Martin) with a chip on his shoulder that should be shot with a ball of his own dung next time he's seen within a mile of Breffni Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

In fairness sure didnt he win an Ireland back a few years ago ......oh wait it was 34 years ago .....
    Still it seems we should have gotten something from the game
    Die dog or sh1te license from here on in

Cant argue with too much of what he said to be honest. Cavan needed to be more direct when playing with the wind, and with Keating, the ball winner in the FF line we were missing last year, inside he wasnt given the opportunity to show what he can do often enough. Im not saying lump it in aimlessly, but there was too much handpassing when we had the wind behind us.

What a second half yesterday, after a woefully bad first half. Very impressed with Faulkner at corner back especially in the second half. Seanie done well too.....in saying that almost everyone played well in the second half

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cartoonninja

Very quiet in here lately!, we've been impressive the last few weeks and it seems we actually have a proper panel to choose from. Wondering what people's opinions are on the starting 15 if their all fit. Keating, Rory Dunne, Mackey , f Flanagan and McDermott all fighting to get back into the starting team

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Very quiet in here lately!, we've been impressive the last few weeks and it seems we actually have a proper panel to choose from. Wondering what people's opinions are on the starting 15 if their all fit. Keating, Rory Dunne, Mackey , f Flanagan and McDermott all fighting to get back into the starting team

The panel has more strength in depth now than for a few years which is good to see. Monaghan were there for the taking in the championship last year but we had very little on the bench to come on for the last twenty minutes and they had.
    I wouldn't be getting carried away just yet, Meath are poor and Armagh were a joke last week but signs are encouraging, tomorrow evening will be a good test. I'd be thinking along the following lines for the championship.

Galligan
    Faulkner, Dunne, McLoughlin
    McVeety, k. Clarke, Flanagan
    Corr, McKiernan
    M. Reilly, Givney, Mackey.
    McDermott, Keating, Johnston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

tanko wrote: »
    The panel has more strength in depth now than for a few years which is good to see. Monaghan were there for the taking in the championship last year but we had very little on the bench to come on for the last twenty minutes and they had.
    I wouldn't be getting carried away just yet, Meath are poor and Armagh were a joke last week but signs are encouraging, tomorrow evening will be a good test. I'd be thinking along the following lines for the championship.

Galligan
    Faulkner, Dunne, McLoughlin
    McVeety, k. Clarke, Flanagan
    Corr, McKiernan
    M. Reilly, Givney, Mackey.
    McDermott, Keating, Johnston.

I would have alot of problems with this lineup to be honest. Gearoid has been a monster at 11, giving him added extra defensive duties takes too much from his and our game. Added to that Givney is too 1d for 11. Conor Moynagh is a terrific no6 - I'd either move killian to midfield or keep things the way they are. Also, mackey does not have the work rate for a wing forward position, I would have him at 13 with mcveety at 10/12

I do agree on the panel strength. We have now have a quite domineering set of footballers. Clarke, Dunne, Mckiernan, Argue, Buchannan and Givney are all over 6ft3

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cartoonninja

I think two of the biggest selections headaches for terry are if Rory Dunne and Keating return in form does he move Clarke and givney who have been very impressive in their respective positions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I was just saying in the Tyrone thread that I'd love it if you guys and ourselves we're in the Div2 final. The missus is from Cavan so it would be a good day out to Croker for us. Looks like it'll come down to the last League game in Cavan against Galway to see who else is getting to the final with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

willabur wrote: »
    I would have alot of problems with this lineup to be honest. Gearoid has been a monster at 11, giving him added extra defensive duties takes too much from his and our game. Added to that Givney is too 1d for 11. Conor Moynagh is a terrific no6 - I'd either move killian to midfield or keep things the way they are. Also, mackey does not have the work rate for a wing forward position, I would have him at 13 with mcveety at 10/12

I do agree on the panel strength. We have now have a quite domineering set of footballers. Clarke, Dunne, Mckiernan, Argue, Buchannan and Givney are all over 6ft3

Keating has a lot to do to win that No. 14 Jersey for Championship. It's been a long time since he has put in a good performance for Cavan.

Rory Dunne is a different story, showed a dependability and reliability last year that I've personally not seen in a Cavan full back in years. Terry is conservative and loyal, if Rory's fit I expect him at No. 3 come Championship.

Moynagh is a tough one, he looks to have all the skills required but too often tries the difficult option. He dove in for a spectacular interception that was missed for the Derry goal, tends to try the difficult ball a lot too. You would hope that he will mature and cut these errors out of his game, you simply can't have them in a No. 6 at the level we want to be at.

Expectation is on the rise now that we have promotion in our own hands, suddenly the naysayers who were saying we were a certainty for relegation are predicting promotion, expect calls for Terry's head (yet again) if we lose to Laois or Galway. I almost said "slip up" against Laois or Galway but in reality there's very little between us and Galway or Laois, we'll need to playing near to our best to ensure 4 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Keating has a lot to do to win that No. 14 Jersey for Championship. It's been a long time since he has put in a good performance for Cavan.

Rory Dunne is a different story, showed a dependability and reliability last year that I've personally not seen in a Cavan full back in years. Terry is conservative and loyal, if Rory's fit I expect him at No. 3 come Championship.

Moynagh is a tough one, he looks to have all the skills required but too often tries the difficult option. He dove in for a spectacular interception that was missed for the Derry goal, tends to try the difficult ball a lot too. You would hope that he will mature and cut these errors out of his game, you simply can't have them in a No. 6 at the level we want to be at.

Expectation is on the rise now that we have promotion in our own hands, suddenly the naysayers who were saying we were a certainty for relegation are predicting promotion, expect calls for Terry's head (yet again) if we lose to Laois or Galway. I almost said "slip up" against Laois or Galway but in reality there's very little between us and Galway or Laois, we'll need to playing near to our best to ensure 4 points.

What to you lads attribute the current form to as opposed to last year?

Advertisement