Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Tickets seem to be going fast .... Possibility of being damn near a full house with the 1916 commemoration ....cant wait now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Verdicts on yesterday?

Played reasonably well, made some silly mistakes in possession, but worked hard and got some great scores. I think we missed a trick my not moving Gearoid out to MF, he was very tightly marked on the 40 and wasnt getting much space. I also feel McVeety is way too fond of carrying the ball into contact....give and gos I feel would be a lot more effective.

A bit to work on before Armagh, but definitely reasons to be optimistic going into an Ulster Championship

Would agree with you re. Gearoid and McVeety . Too often we made decisions to handpass when it was clearly wrong . I think a few of our lads got stage fright and the big day got to us . i thought killian brady should have been left on as murray was poor .
    I thought Galligans kick outs were poor and we were were outwitted and outmuscled by tyrone for them
    I also thought the ref was piss poor and would have to question his appointment between 2 ulster teams

Disappointed but hopeful of better days in a more confined space as it was evident the big open croke park pitch didnt suit us .
    Finally hats off to Tyrone they kicked some great scores and didnt have the cynical side that we are used to . i dont think they'll be beaten in ulster this year

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Would agree with you re. Gearoid and McVeety . Too often we made decisions to handpass when it was clearly wrong . I think a few of our lads got stage fright and the big day got to us . i thought killian brady should have been left on as murray was poor .
    I thought Galligans kick outs were poor and we were were outwitted and outmuscled by tyrone for them
    I also thought the ref was piss poor and would have to question his appointment between 2 ulster teams

Disappointed but hopeful of better days in a more confined space as it was evident the big open croke park pitch didnt suit us .
    Finally hats off to Tyrone they kicked some great scores and didnt have the cynical side that we are used to . i dont think they'll be beaten in ulster this year

Ref gave a lot of soft frees all right, but in fairness I think he gave us soft ones as well.....he wasnt the winning or the losing of the game though. Gunner was doing ok, but before he went off I seen him limping so he may have turned on his ankle or something. If he wasnt injured I would have been tempted to take him off, as he was booked early.....for me if Gunner isnt able to tackle ferociously for fear of a second yellow, then I think its too much of a risk....im not knocking him, I just think his tackling and physicality is too big a part of his game for him to be able to continue, esp when in Croker

Also, I dont see why Terry would bring on Feargal Flanagan for Brady when chasing a game.....he doesnt have the ball skills IMO when chasing a game....why not bring on Conroy who is at least a scoring forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I thought the ref gave us about 3 right handy frees too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Ref was poor. Not a complaint against Cavan. Just poor in general. I'd say Fergal Flanagan was brought on simply cause he needs the game time. As for game better team won simple as. Galligan kickouts poor but he tried to vary it. Midfield was getting destroyed so he tried to go short. They snuffed out our main men and we couldn't stop Mattie Donnely and Harte. They've being playing that game a long time and are just better at it. One idea would have being shooting from distance in order to draw them out and give our full forward line something to work with. All about Armagh now. Hopefully play a few proper club leagur games too in meantime.

Hello lads its nearly that time again 😊 team announced pretty much as expected but personally id have given killian brady the nod ahead of fergal flanagan .
    Anyway heading down sunday not looking forward to meeting this unpredictable Armagh side with god knows what tactics their manager will have to try and save his skin

Hello lads its nearly that time again 😊 team announced pretty much as expected but personally id have given killian brady the nod ahead of fergal flanagan .
    Anyway heading down sunday not looking forward to meeting this unpredictable Armagh side with god knows what tactics their manager will have to try and save his skin

Don't think as expected. Bringing in Dunne and Murray wasn't expected or no Ciaran Brady.

Well i expected Dunne to be in in some capacity ,murray got a good bit of game time in the league too

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

A win is a win. We mixed some fantastic play with a lot of sloppy, error ridden stuff. They never looked like losing the game. A couple of things that struck me most:

- Givney. Possibly the most improved footballer in Cavan? His game has been tidied up so much he's virtually unrecognisable and it's probably down to the position he is playing now. He's not being asked to run with the ball or be involved in the breaks from deep which means the simple passing errors he made so often in the past aren't happening. He is solely focused on winning the ball inside and either laying it off to a shooter or shooting himself if he has the space. If he could improve on carving himself out goal chances when he fields close to goal, well we would be in business.

- Jack Brady. I mentioned this after one of the league games, a couple of years ago it looked like he would fade away from the panel. He didn't have the speed or power to play the play making role at Senior Level that he did in his final two years of U21, the few times he featured in the inside forward line he looked sluggish and was reluctant to shoot. Now for the third time this year he has came on and won ball with a serious burst of pace and kicked a couple of wonderful scores. He's a credit to himself and those who have helped him rediscover his pace and score taking.

- Ray Galligan. His introduction as a goalkeeper last year was a novel idea that looked a debatable sort of decision at the time. It's proven to be a fantastic move. His kickouts are excellent in the main but not only that his ability to deal with the high ball in a crowded square and his shot stopping are also exactly what you want from an intercounty keeper. I do believe he has the ability to be absolutely dead eye accurate from long range frees. If he can improve on that aspect of his game and we could punish teams that foul us from outside the 45, it would be a huge plus for the team.

Tyrone up next, we all know what they're about. It will take something special tactically and an as yet unseen level of performance from Cavan to win the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

A win is a win. We mixed some fantastic play with a lot of sloppy, error ridden stuff. They never looked like losing the game. A couple of things that struck me most:

- Givney. Possibly the most improved footballer in Cavan? His game has been tidied up so much he's virtually unrecognisable and it's probably down to the position he is playing now. He's not being asked to run with the ball or be involved in the breaks from deep which means the simple passing errors he made so often in the past aren't happening. He is solely focused on winning the ball inside and either laying it off to a shooter or shooting himself if he has the space. If he could improve on carving himself out goal chances when he fields close to goal, well we would be in business.

- Jack Brady. I mentioned this after one of the league games, a couple of years ago it looked like he would fade away from the panel. He didn't have the speed or power to play the play making role at Senior Level that he did in his final two years of U21, the few times he featured in the inside forward line he looked sluggish and was reluctant to shoot. Now for the third time this year he has came on and won ball with a serious burst of pace and kicked a couple of wonderful scores. He's a credit to himself and those who have helped him rediscover his pace and score taking.

- Ray Galligan. His introduction as a goalkeeper last year was a novel idea that looked a debatable sort of decision at the time. It's proven to be a fantastic move. His kickouts are excellent in the main but not only that his ability to deal with the high ball in a crowded square and his shot stopping are also exactly what you want from an intercounty keeper. I do believe he has the ability to be absolutely dead eye accurate from long range frees. If he can improve on that aspect of his game and we could punish teams that foul us from outside the 45, it would be a huge plus for the team.

Tyrone up next, we all know what they're about. It will take something special tactically and an as yet unseen level of performance from Cavan to win the game.
    What u make of Michael argue,start jack brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Keep the faith, spot on. Givney looks like a man re-born. He has always had talent but looked lost on the 40 and only in games for spells at midfield. We just need to get more ball into him to utilise those skills

Any word on Buchanan? Was he injured or dropped? I thought he was impressive during the league. Mc Kiernan plays his best football on the 40 when he doesn't have to do the dirty work and can concentrate on breaking with the ball. Wasn't surprised to see him fade in the 2nd half when he was at midfield..when he's on the 40 he has more influence with Corr & Buchanan winning the dirty ball. (Corr gets little praise but is absolutely vital in that team imho)

Re: Argue. Undoubted talent, but he is too passive at the moment. Really needs to get involved in the game more. Still young, but I think there is merit to starting Mackey in his place (with G-Mac on the 40) or as suggested, Jack Brady- who has upped his game this year.

All good headaches for management though!

Buchannan wasn't injured. He come on as well sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Buchannan wasn't injured. He come on as well sure.

Aye, but only towards the end so was hoping it was that he had a small niggle rather than a tactical shift- I would much prefer Mc Kiernan to have free reign to cause damage on the 40

Aye, but only towards the end so was hoping it was that he had a small niggle rather than a tactical shift- I would much prefer Mc Kiernan to have free reign to cause damage on the 40

The talk earlier in week was he wasn't going to be playing. Question was who in. Don't know why he was dropped. Maybe trying Gearoid midfield because Tyrone snuffed him out in league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

I would guess management had concerns about Buchannan's mobility/fitness. With the day being as hot as it was, it was going to take a toll on the big men. He doesn't strike me as a lad who has great reserves (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭billie holiday

Will Terence put
    G McKiernan on Colm Kavanagh with sole aim of pushing up on the sweeper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    I would guess management had concerns about Buchannan's mobility/fitness. With the day being as hot as it was, it was going to take a toll on the big men. He doesn't strike me as a lad who has great reserves (yet).

He picked up a knock last week and on Wednesday it was decided that Gearoid would go to midfield in his place.

As for pushing up on Colm Cavanagh, hard to know how that would work out. Terry does need to pull something out of the bag here. And I have a suspicion that similar to the Monaghan game last year, this game has been looked at from a way out and that the management know exactly what they'll be doing against Tyrone and have done for a while. Similar to last year though, that's no guarantee it will work!

I think Niall Murray will lose his place with Brady coming back in. Argue isn't going well but he's more likely to make an impact in a packed defence than Jack Brady who would be fantastic to bring on as an impact sub as he's shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

this chat room is pretty dead the last couple of months, what happened?

willabur wrote: »
    this chat room is pretty dead the last couple of months, what happened?

Not sure. Not like there wasn't any big games.

• Advertisement

Anybody know if the game is going to be shown next sunday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Anybody know if the game is going to be shown next sunday ?

as far as i know rte are showing the munster football final and the leinster final next week unless bbc are going to show it ...i doubt it which would be a pity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

as far as i know rte are showing the munster football final and the leinster final next week unless bbc are going to show it ...i doubt it which would be a pity
    its not down on the bbc 2 schedules, not yet anyhow
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/schedules/ni/2016/07/03

The best that can be expected is a delayed showing.

Or, if you have a really advanced Satelite setup, you could possibly intercept the RTE feed being sent back live, with commentary, to HQ, but even that is often touch and go as to whether it can be picked up
    (and if you dont know what I'm on about, then you cannot get this signal as its really a thing for hobby satelite geeks with a fair bit of technical knowhow and paitence)

Living abroad thats what really is annoying. Many big matches are being covered and relayed live to the RTE HQ, but RTEs GAAGO service doesnt pass them on, and its not as if showing them to someone in Europe, America or Australia will impact on gate receipts on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yay!!! sortof.

Game isn't going to be live, but will be deferred at 6.30pm.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07ks9bq

GAAGO are also showing the deffered game worldwide
    https://gaago.rte.ie/fixture/P216-FUSF1R

I'll be trying to avoid knowing the result and watch it as if it were live which is what were were doing last year with a number of games anyhow with the GAA Go service.
    (we have 2 small kids who don't have an off button, so afternoon throw-ins mean a trip to the pub or locking yourself into a room if you really want to see a game without distraction)

What did we just witness .....so so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

That was shocking stuff, Tyrone cut us open 3/4 more times easily and could have finished with about 8 goals.

Going man for man and allowing Tyrone a 2v2 in our full back line with half the pitch to play with, was idiotic in the extreme. Their half backs/half forwards/Midfielders outpaced our lads coming off the shoulder constantly.

We pushed up man for man for their kick outs,and when they kicked it out long and won either breaks or clean possession at midfield,they sauntered through our back-line like a knife through butter. At least surrender the short kickout, and get everyone behind the ball and force them to go 80 metres to get into a scoring position, For **** sake.

Better to forget that ****e and move onto Carlow on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What did we just witness .....so so bad

I think you witnesses the difference between the two managers.
    One a tactical genius and the other miles behind.
    I think you need to bring in someone new.

I'm finding it hard to understand what exactly our game plan was today ....totally naive to think we could go man to man with them ...we had a good full back line for the league but none of them started in it in championship ....flanagan ,dunne and murray have no place in the team
    Killan clarke needs to be full back
    Gearoid lets us down on the big day
    Ive never seen cavan supporters so despondant after a game .
    We should have been beaten by 20 points .
    Before ye start I'm not anti terry but he got it so wrong with his team selection and tactics today

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Keep the faith lads,cavan are still agood team and showed it at times today.cavan teams in the past would have been beaten by much more on aday like today,but our lads kept the heads up right too the end.tyrone are abetter smarter football playing team than cavan with amanager who,s done it all.the gap has still too be closed,but it,s asmaller gap than its been for along time.

• Advertisement

7 points down at HT so we had to go for it....Naive in the main but no point sitting back

If we had taken our chances in the first half....the simple ones, we would have been close to level at ht, and it would have been a different game

Keating twice, Murray and Mackey all missed easy chances, and Mackey had a goal chance, that we needed to take. I also think their second goal was charging by McCann, but thats another argument, not to mention our penalty claim in the first half.

Granted Terry lacks the tactical nous that Harte has, but I dont think any team in the country would be able to claw back a 7 point half time deficit to that Tyrone side.

I wasnt expecting us to be good enough to win, but there is plenty to work on, and a very winable game on Saturday with the 6 day turnaround......i would be hoping that the injuries to McVeety and Givney arent serious

Advertisement