Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

cavan4sam wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to understand what exactly our game plan was today ....totally naive to think we could go man to man with them ...we had a good full back line for the league but none of them started in it in championship ....flanagan ,dunne and murray have no place in the team
    Killan clarke needs to be full back
    Gearoid lets us down on the big day
    Ive never seen cavan supporters so despondant after a game .
    We should have been beaten by 20 points .
    Before ye start I'm not anti terry but he got it so wrong with his team selection and tactics today

Id be interested to know what you think the selection should have been

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nobbies wrote: »
    Keep the faith lads,cavan are still agood team and showed it at times today.cavan teams in the past would have been beaten by much more on aday like today,but our lads kept the heads up right too the end.tyrone are abetter smarter football playing team than cavan with amanager who,s done it all.the gap has still too be closed,but it,s asmaller gap than its been for along time.

It's a very wide gap in reality.
    Tyrone took off a lot of players and Cavan's late scores kept the game semi-respectable BUT the gap is very wide on yesterday's showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

Woeful performance on the pitch.

Off the pitch, I was disgusted by elements of the Tyrone support with sectarian and racist chanting. Despicable behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

willabur wrote:
    Off the pitch, I was disgusted by elements of the Tyrone support with sectarian and racist chanting. Despicable behaviour

To be honest some of our own supporters were no better
    I heard and checked on a few of our crowd giving cathal mc carron a hard time . but you are always going to have that element

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

It's a very wide gap in reality.
    Tyrone took off a lot of players and Cavan's late scores kept the game semi-respectable BUT the gap is very wide on yesterday's showing.

Totally agree. Cavan got the breaks in the 1st game with regards to the timing of their goals. Once Tyrone negated the aerial threat of Givney and brought Morgan back in to goals they eradicated Cavans primary threat. No team will carry ball through that Tyrone defence. If Tyrone maintained their intensity and discipline it could've been a 20 point beating. Cavan may get a run in the qualifiers if they get some kind draws but still a long way off the required standard. At the minute I'd have Tyrone 2nd only to the Dubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I'd say Mickey Harte couldn't believe his eyes when he saw that Cavan didn't play a sweeper in front of the full back line like Tyrone did. It was tactical stupidity, talk about making it easy for them.
    It was obvious that Tiernan McCann charged through Raymond Galligan and threw the ball towards Harte for the second goal, then Goldrick not giving Corr a penalty resulted in a probable six point swing. These decisions didn't affect the result and Tyrone were by far the better team but it would have kept the game alive for longer.
    As usual too much is made of performances in the national league, it's a lot easier to kick points there, than in the heat of a championship battle.
    Tyrone are one of the top three teams in the country, it's not a disaster losing go them. Hopefully Cavan can regroup and give the qualifiers a good rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

tanko wrote: »
    I'd say Mickey Harte couldn't believe his eyes when he saw that Cavan didn't play a sweeper in front of the full back line like Tyrone did. It was tactical stupidity, talk about making it easy for them.
    It was obvious that Tiernan McCann charged through Raymond Galligan and threw the ball towards Harte for the second goal, then Goldrick not giving Corr a penalty resulted in a probable six point swing. These decisions didn't affect the result and Tyrone were by far the better team but it would have kept the game alive for longer.
    As usual too much is made of performances in the national league, it's a lot easier to kick points there, than in the heat of a championship battle.
    Tyrone are one of the top three teams in the country, it's not a disaster losing go them. Hopefully Cavan can regroup and give the qualifiers a good rattle.
    Corr wasn't fouled and I assume let McCann "throw" the ball as he was hauled down by Galligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Corr wasn't fouled and I assume let McCann "throw" the ball as he was hauled down by Galligan.

Your having a laugh......McCann ploughed straight into Galligan. Charging, free out all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

Looked to me like a clear as day peno on Corr
    couldn't see the mccann incident too closely

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Slobberdawn

Your having a laugh......McCann ploughed straight into Galligan. Charging, free out all day long.

Yes I decided to make that post for the laugh. Have another look here at about 2:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWkg2_JFJSE

In my eyes McCann tries to side step him and Galligan tries to block him. Maybe not a penalty (and hence no advantage) but no free out.

Quickly followed by Corr's penalty incident. Mossy is falling all the way and although the Tyrone player does swipe his hand for the ball I don't think there was any contact and no penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Yes I decided to make that post for the laugh. Have another look here at about 2:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWkg2_JFJSE

In my eyes McCann tries to side step him and Galligan tries to block him. Maybe not a penalty (and hence no advantage) but no free out.

Quickly followed by Corr's penalty incident. Mossy is falling all the way and although the Tyrone player does swipe his hand for the ball I don't think there was any contact and no penalty.

If you look closely at the replay, he was tripped from behind by the Tyrone No. 21. This is what the players were saying to the referee at half time too. To me, it also looks like the Tyrone player swiping made contact and didn't get the ball.

Wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference either way I suppose.

A loss like this is damaging. While people are bigging up our chances because of the teams on our side of the draw, I think it will be mentally very difficult for the lads to pick themselves up. In 2013 a tilt at Ulster was a bit of a pipe dream but the players would have accepted that a run in the qualifiers would be their best bet of making progress for the summer.
    This year is different, they firmly believed they were capable of rattling Ulster so the exit will be that bit harder to take and it will be harder to prepare mentally for a week after week slog in the qualifiers. The best they can hope for now is getting back to Croke Park. Will that be enough? Hard to know. I certainly hope so.

You would expect that we should have enough to get past Carlow at home even with a 6 day turnaround and the aftermath of a hammering to deal with. But you never know.

A couple of things that struck me from Sunday; when the game was going to pot and we needed to do something big to even avoid a 20 point hammering, there were two leaders on the field who stood up and took the fight to Tyrone and Gearoid was not one of them. Mackey, but to a greater extent Conor Moynagh were really impressive.
    Also, I'm a big fan of Terry Hyland and I understand that he sees these lads week in week out in training and has a greater knowledge of their attributes and abilities than I ever will but I would really like to know what the rationale was for dropping Ciaran Brady and more so Padraig Faulkner after their league performances.

I heard Faulkner was dropped because he went on an unauthorised social excursion.

A couple of things that struck me from Sunday; when the game was going to pot and we needed to do something big to even avoid a 20 point hammering, there were two leaders on the field who stood up and took the fight to Tyrone and Gearoid was not one of them. Mackey, but to a greater extent Conor Moynagh were really impressive. Also, I'm a big fan of Terry Hyland and I understand that he sees these lads week in week out in training and has a greater knowledge of their attributes and abilities than I ever will but I would really like to know what the rationale was for dropping Ciaran Brady and more so Padraig Faulkner after their league performances.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Any word on Givney? I know he's not in the starting 15 but how serious is that injury. He's been fantastic of late, not just in scoring terms, but he does bring others into the game and I think he will only grow & grow into this role-especially if he has someone to play off him

Couple of things, one alluded to already. Bit worrying that in 3 of our biggest games in some time (albeit all against Tyrone) that our talisman was completely anonymous. We all know, if you're good- expect close attention. He needs to start stamping his authority on games like that. Biggest concern for me was that the drawn game he didn't even show or try to get involved. Maybe he is carrying a knock. But there's no point in being talked about as a potential all-Star in March. Have a feeling he will be back to his best this Saturday, which isn't where he needs to dominating.

Secondly, if Givney is out, its time for Keating to deliver in the blue shirt. We can't be harking back to that game against Donegal four years ago. He needs to put in a performance now.

Cant say thats the draw we wanted ....it'll be a test of character of this team now to see how we fare out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

No harm to be honest- if we can't get fired up for a home tie against Derry....

Yes very true hopefully the lads can hit the ground running and get a decent performance

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Would be happy with that draw, a decent test and at home. Should we not be able to beat Derry we have no business progressing.

We will need to up our game considerably against them. For large spells against Carlow we were very poor. Our forward play appears rudderless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the time has been fixed for the game
    Cavan v Derry, Kingspan Breffni Park, 3.30pm

not going to be on TV, and BBC has no qualifier rights so not going to be delayed either (unless something has changed since last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

3:30 on Saturday, €20 in no doubt, not exactly a masterplan for drawing a big crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭celt262

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    3:30 on Saturday, €20 in no doubt, not exactly a masterplan for drawing a big crowd.

And €5 for kids is really taking the piss.

Who is the ref today lads ?

Who is the ref today lads ?

Don't know, I'd imagine we're overdue another shafting from Marty Duffy.

Red card for an off the ball incident decided the game, anyone any idea if there was anything in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

100% correct call pure lack of discipline from Flanagan no excuse. He has cost Cavan the game.

Wasnt at the game but spoke to a family member that was reckoned it was a punch in the nether regions .....cost us dearly

Listening to it made it pretty clear that we lacked a leader when we needed it most.. And our captain was nowhere to be found ...

Terry wasnt too happy to be questioned on his future after the game which is fair enough but i think he has brought this team as far as he can with a limited squad

I think while it was great to get promoted its also so disappointing to finish the year on a note like today when the game was so winnable

God its hard to be a cavan supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Wasnt at the game but spoke to a family member that was reckoned it was a punch in the nether regions .....cost us dearly

Listening to it made it pretty clear that we lacked a leader when we needed it most.. And our captain was nowhere to be found ...

Terry wasnt too happy to be questioned on his future after the game which is fair enough but i think he has brought this team as far as he can with a limited squad

I think while it was great to get promoted its also so disappointing to finish the year on a note like today when the game was so winnable

I don't get why people say he's brought us as far as he can. Progress has been visible year on year. Why do people not think it will continue next year? For me, the moment we got promoted Terry was entitled to another year.

Today was lost because of a moment of indiscipline from a Cavan player. The squad is limited in its attacking power and it's keeping us from hitting the next level that is needed to beat the Division 1 sides. There's nothing coming through the underage ranks that looks like changing that either unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

I don't get why people say he's brought us as far as he can. Progress has been visible year on year. Why do people not think it will continue next year? For me, the moment we got promoted Terry was entitled to another year.

He seems to pick teams on favourites not on form. We had a good full back line during the last six games in the league but all changed come the championship. Can't help thinking the team for the championship was picked in January. How on earth did James McEnroe - good player - get starting against Tyrone no games played all year before that. Ciaran Brady and Padraig Faunker wer two very consistent defender throughout the league both dropped for championship even do Jason was out injured. Fergal Flanagan had a poor league before getting injured and played no further games in the league but yet starts com the championship. He was poor against Tyrone switching off and leaving his man 40 metres away and setting up the killer second goal. What he did today was disgraceful lack of discipline and let everyone down.

We most certainly need a new manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Cavan had probably peaked early in the year and once Tyrone steamrolled us in the replay that was our year over really. We needed a kind qualifier draw which we got with Carlos but Derry was prob the next toughest draw to get.

Givney was a massive loss considering how influential he was in the full forward line. Gearoid often stands out against the weaker team but goes missing against the better teams. Discipline is a big issue for the team too. Keating and McVeety were guilty against Carlow and Flanagan then today. Faulkner really impressed me this year and for the life of me can't understand why he was overlooked for the last few games? Buchanan and Ciaran Brady also should've had more game time in the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Gearoid is our captain isn't he?
    I think that's a bit unfair to be honest. Gearoid for me was outstanding in the first half in the air and on the ground,but he ran out of steam like many of the Cavan players in the last quarter as the extra man advantage,and Derry's fresher legs took hold.
    We lost that game yesterday simply because of indiscipline. How many games are we going to lose because of lads throwing punches before some of them get a bit of cop-on?
    I'm not normally one to hop-on the manager out bandwagon,but i think it's time for Terry to go. Some of his selections in the championship this year,of certain players whom are quite clearly not as good as the guys along the line(Anyone whom has played and followed football in the county knows this also) are quite frankly bewildering.

Advertisement