Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Would have won that game with 15 men....even with 14 missed chances.....Murray missed one from 25 yards straight in front, Holla had a shot on his right from the same distance, and turned back in on his left and the chance was gone, and Jelly missed a very scorable free.

Add to that, we missed 2 many chances in the first half, and gave away a terrible goal.

Flanagan has a lot of apologising to do, because his moment of stupidity cost us.

Re Terry, I think he has to go. We need some to come in that can work with the forwards. We have upped our scoring rate, but from being at almost all the matches this year, we miss far too many chances. We should have been a lot more than 4 up at ht on Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Would have won that game with 15 men....even with 14 missed chances....

Such a missed opportunity for Cavan this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Cheers terry ...your time was up but if we get across the line in the next few years your hard work will have paid off ....its such a pity he didnt get any silverware at senior level

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Who,s replacing terry?would james horan take the job?peter reilly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The missus just text me to say she heard something about Oisin McConville for Cavan. Not sure her source but she's not happy, for some reason she has a massive pick on him.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote:
    The missus just text me to say she heard something about Oisin McConville for Cavan. Not sure her source but she's not happy, for some reason she has a massive pick on him.

No harm to him but i doubt it he didnt make a lot of friends up here

cavan4sam wrote: »
    No harm to him but i doubt it he didnt make a lot of friends up here

I see it was mentioned on a Hogan Stand thread as well. Not sure how seriously though as I didn't read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Jayop wrote: »

I hope that's a joke, I'd like to see Peter Reilly get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan should go for Peter Donnelly the Tyrone man who has already spent time with them.

Cavan should go for Peter Donnelly the Tyrone man who has already spent time with them.

Will he want to leave Tyrone at the moment? I know the temptation to be the main man is strong so possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jayop wrote: »
    Will he want to leave Tyrone at the moment? I know the temptation to be the main man is strong so possibly.

He may also want to stay with Tyrone seeing that Mickey Harte might step down after the All Ireland.

He may also want to stay with Tyrone seeing that Mickey Harte might step down after the All Ireland.

Last year I thought the u21 team were nailed on for the top job. Not so sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Franky111

I hear Martin McHugh's name is being thrown around , I think he would be great to bring this team forward , very disciplined

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

Betting suspended on new Cavan manager. Paddy Power has suspended betting after a flood of money placed on Dermot McCabe. He was priced earlier 16-1 and came into 1/2 on when betting suspended.
    I know we have a Gowna chairman of the county board but this would be a bad choice. He was a poor minor manager.Never forget that minor match V Armagh in Clones which really showed poor tactical awareness, we need experienced manager now to take us on to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Franky111

Betting suspended on new Cavan manager. Paddy Power has suspended betting after a flood of money placed on Dermot McCabe. He was priced earlier 16-1 and came into 1/2 on when betting suspended.
    I know we have a Gowna chairman of the county board but this would be a bad choice. He was a poor minor manager.Never forget that minor match V Armagh in Clones which really showed poor tactical awareness, we need experienced manager now to take us on to the next level.

I think Dermot would be a step backwards for Cavan, He would not have the respect of the players , I think he spoiled Cavan football by staying on too long as a player and dictating to his team mates , He hasn't proved himself as a manager , It's usually all about him , please don't pick McCabe

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Would echo the previous post on McCabe I don't think he is the right man for the job. Has he actually any senior intercounty or even club experience? I know his stint with the minors was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Franky111 wrote: »
    I hear Martin McHugh's name is being thrown around , I think he would be great to bring this team forward , very disciplined

Given his consistent bitter comments about Cavan's players over the past number of years I wouldn't let him within an asses roar of the Cavan team.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

I think we should try one that knows Cavan football,knows all the clubs and how weak Cavan football is.
    He won with Mullahoran Ballinagh KIllashanra . He would stand up to County Board. Ciaran Reilly would be a
    great choice

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

James horans the man for the job i think.he,s proven with mayo all be it not sam,but its going to take god almighty himself to fix that for them.going by his talk in the celt this week he,s playing hard too get,but i believe if the county board comes up with the readies he will take the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

McCabe is the GAA County Games and Development Manager. He would have to give that job up before managing a team. I don't see it happening.

Would i be right in saying we aren't exactly flush with money for an outside appointment,like we used to be?

• Advertisement

Any more rumours on the new manager? For me McCabe would be a very underwhelming candidate, but with a Gowna man as Chairman and lads like Keogan backing him, it looks like it could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Any more rumours on the new manager? For me McCabe would be a very underwhelming candidate, but with a Gowna man as Chairman and lads like Keogan backing him, it looks like it could happen

I agree. Wouldn't knock anyone before they started etc, but if all the clamour to get Hyland out and get someone with more experience resulted in Mc Cabe, I'd say there would be a lot of underwhelmed (to put it mildly)

Things may have changed but wasn't Mc Cabe frequently (allegedly) to have been a disrupting influence in the dressing room when a senior player?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I agree. Wouldn't knock anyone before they started etc, but if all the clamour to get Hyland out and get someone with more experience resulted in Mc Cabe, I'd say there would be a lot of underwhelmed (to put it mildly)

Things may have changed but wasn't Mc Cabe frequently (allegedly) to have been a disrupting influence in the dressing room when a senior player?

And a disruptive influence when involved with minors. There is an alternative being pushed in preference to the county boards prefered options of Dermot Mc Cabe or Peter Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I remember Cavan playing Armagh in Breffni years ago. Mc Cabe was at the end of his career and was fit for, at best, 10 minute bursts and usually was deployed as a highly effective full forward in those days.

I don't have any insight into the panel at that stage, but it was blatantly obvious that the younger players were actively avoiding playing the ball into him that day. He had won a duel or 2 against Bellew, Cavan were being dragged into the game (through Mc Cabe's intervention) and despite that you could see his "team mates" not only refused to play the ball into him, they seemed to enjoy irritating him (and he wasn't shy in showing his displeasure)

I remember Cavan playing Armagh in Breffni years ago. Mc Cabe was at the end of his career and was fit for, at best, 10 minute bursts and usually was deployed as a highly effective full forward in those days.

I don't have any insight into the panel at that stage, but it was blatantly obvious that the younger players were actively avoiding playing the ball into him that day. He had won a duel or 2 against Bellew, Cavan were being dragged into the game (through Mc Cabe's intervention) and despite that you could see his "team mates" not only refused to play the ball into him, they seemed to enjoy irritating him (and he wasn't shy in showing his displeasure)

A lot of that has to do with him making calls for players to be took off while he was playing and managers acting on his instructions. I know a few ex Cavan players who have no time for him because of the way they were treated. Could destroy Cavan football if he got top job.

Read in some of the papers keith barr being mentioned .....christ we are a division 1 team ....hopefully we can attract someone with a proven record at a decent level

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Read in some of the papers keith barr being mentioned .....christ we are a division 1 team ....hopefully we can attract someone with a proven record at a decent level

Paul Curran was being put forward by the Breffni Dublin supporter group as an alternative to the County Boards preferred choices. However I don't think Curran can committ so not sure where that leaves us.

Heard a couple of rumours over the weekend.

Cunningham, former Galway manager interested, but only if he doesnt get the Limerick Hurling job. Strange

And whichever of the McEntees is with Mayo.

Also heard a few stories re how bad McCabe would be...previous antics etc etc....and there are players on the panel who wouldnt play for him either

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Draw for next years league has been made and its not particularly favourable. Tough Start!!!

Cavan v Dublin
    Monaghan v Cavan
    Tyrone v Cavan
    Cavan v Donegal
    Mayo v Cavan
    Cavan v Kerry
    Roscommon v Cavan

4 games away from home. More of the teams we might fancy ourselves against are also away. Playing Kerry late in the campaign, despite it being at home isn't great either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

was told at the weekend that Keith Barr is the only name so far proposed to the county board for the managers job

Advertisement