Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Donal Keogan and Anthony Forde new Castlerahan management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

So we are down Keating,Givney,Mackey and Fergal Flanagan for 2017, I knew about Mackey, as he has been London based for a while.
    Flanagan is doing a Masters so he may be available come the summer, It's disappointing that we are down what would be four key men, as i believe Keating would have been far better in 2017 with the year back under his belt, but i suppose it allows others the opportunity to break through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Flanagan and especially Givney are big losses. Keating is very hit and miss, far too greedy and has a poor temperament for inter county football.
    Watching the club championships and the performance of Cavan clubs in Ulster doesn't inspire much confidence. Some scoring forwards are badly needed.
    It's hard to see what Anthony Forde losing the plot along the sideline wiil do for Castlerahan.

tanko wrote: »
    Flanagan and especially Givney are big losses. Keating is very hit and miss, far too greedy and has a poor temperament for inter county football.
    Watching the club championships and the performance of Cavan clubs in Ulster doesn't inspire much confidence. Some scoring forwards are badly needed.
    It's hard to see what Anthony Forde losing the plot along the sideline wiil do for Castlerahan.

Forde is top class trainer though. Ramor were unlucky in Ulster. No Barkey Jack or Smart plus black cards for Ado and Bradley and still could have won. Givney a huge loss. Mackey still could have played role as impact sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Forde is top class trainer though. Ramor were unlucky in Ulster. No Barkey Jack or Smart plus black cards for Ado and Bradley and still could have won. Givney a huge loss. Mackey still could have played role as impact sub.

Mackey is the best forward Cavan have.......big loss. Has a lot more to offer than as an impact sub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Mackey is the best forward Cavan have.......big loss. Has a lot more to offer than as an impact sub

True, I forgot to mention him, he played some great stuff this summer, his two last gasp points against Lacken and Ramor were pure class. It's hard to understand how he didn't get a club all star last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

Keating kicked 6 pts against Leinster a few years ago in the Railway Cup. I thought he would have wanted to progress on and try and establish himself , obviously not. He didn't play County in 2015 and not going to play next year.

Donegal, Tyrone don't seem to lose players every year like Cavan do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

And so it begins again !!!

I like the look of tomorrows team
    Lets hope they play a nice brand of football
    I think Finbar O Reilly will bring a lot to the backroom team
    Best of luck tomorrow Lads

cavan4sam wrote: »
    And so it begins again !!!

I like the look of tomorrows team
    Lets hope they play a nice brand of football
    I think Finbar O Reilly will bring a lot to the backroom team
    Best of luck tomorrow Lads

It's a typical Cavan team. Backs look strong and hard to see where scores will come from up front. Question marks over midfield too. No Ray Galliagan?

Galligan and a few others carrying injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I know it's only Mc Kenna cup but I'm interested in seeing how Argue does I the middle (if he does line out there)

He has bags of talent but has a tendency to drift out of games a lot (which can happen with younger players). Can he impose himself on a game? There's a player in there no doubt if Cavan can unlock that potential

Good Result though i wouldn't read too much into it ...Its nice to finally beat them ..

Didnt get to the game but the second half seemed to be feisty enough

Gerry Smith seemed to impress all round

Good start to the year

Tom Hayes scored 1-4 for UCD yesterday against Wexford. A few frees but least he is scoring. He probably doesn't score enough.

Well folks its almost time again

Its great to see The Dubs coming to Breffni hopefully there'll be a good crowd and we can give a decent account of ourselves

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Well folks its almost time again

Its great to see The Dubs coming to Breffni hopefully there'll be a good crowd and we can give a decent account of ourselves

Indeed. If you can't be excited by the visit of the Dubs at home in a competitive fixture, you need your pulse checked

If there's a good time to meet the Dubs in the league, this is it.

Hon Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Watched the game today hoping Cavan would do well.
    They didn't honestly.
    Dublin won eassily and didn't break sweat.
    Cavan have a lot of work to do.
    Hopefully they will get a win or two and stay up but i wouldn't put any money on it after today's performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Watched the game today hoping Cavan would do well.
    They didn't honestly.
    Dublin won eassily and didn't break sweat.
    Cavan have a lot of work to do.
    Hopefully they will get a win or two and stay up but i wouldn't put any money on it after today's performance.

I think you're being overly harsh, even if I am probably biased.

Cavan lost by seven points to a team who tagged on a few scores at the end when we were emptying the bench and who are unbeaten in 29 games.

McGleenan is a new manager getting used to his first choice 15. I think he's got the half back, midfield and half forward line right but I'd have questions over the full back and full forward lines.

Gerard Smith looks a real find (number 12) and next weeks game against Monaghan will tell us a lot more about Cavan than today did.

The one downer of the day was poor Conor Madden. Always hard to see a lad put on and then taken back off. I thought McGleenan could have just left him on with 4 minutes left.

Cavan_King wrote: »

Cavan lost by seven points to a team who tagged on a few scores at the end when we were emptying the bench and who are unbeaten in 29 games.

McGleenan is a new manager getting used to his first choice 15. I think he's got the half back, midfield and half forward line right but I'd have questions over the full back and full forward lines.

Gerard Smith looks a real find (number 12) and next weeks game against Monaghan will tell us a lot more about Cavan than today did.

The one downer of the day was poor Conor Madden. Always hard to see a lad put on and then taken back off. I thought McGleenan could have just left him on with 4 minutes left.

I thought full back line were decent. Fergal Reilly for example kept his man scoreless. Their wing half forwards and backs done a lot of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wasn't intending to be harsh.
    I thought Dublin could have scored a lot more if they needed to. They fisted 2 /3 points when goals were on and also kicked a lot of wides.
    Cavan seem to be struggling for scores. They need to unearth a class forward or two.

I thought full back line were decent. Fergal Reilly for example kept his man scoreless. Their wing half forwards and backs done a lot of damage.

How many frees did he give away though!? Easy to say he kept a man scoreless when they were handing the ball over every time he fouled them for an easy free.

• Advertisement

How many frees did he give away though!? Easy to say he kept a man scoreless when they were handing the ball over every time he fouled them for an easy free.

Gave away no fouls what so ever and marking Mannion a classy operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Men against boys for all game,dubs never got out of 1st gear and cavan never at the same level,no one expected anything from this game. Mon,Rossies and donegal r the games that mite keep cavan up

Wasn't intending to be harsh.
    I thought Dublin could have scored a lot more if they needed to. They fisted 2 /3 points when goals were on and also kicked a lot of wides.
    Cavan seem to be struggling for scores. They need to unearth a class forward or two.

We've being saying that for years at this stage. I can't think of one from club football. Maybe Caoimhin Reilly?

We've being saying that for years at this stage. I can't think of one from club football. Maybe Caoimhin Reilly?

Martin Dunne opted out this year again? I heard he was back in at one stage but doesn't appear so.

The Official GAA page shared a video of Givney this morning. We could have done with him at FF today.

Martin Dunne opted out this year again? I heard he was back in at one stage but doesn't appear so.

He was in at start. He's not the solution. Would be if he could win his own ball. Any on under 21s???

He was in at start. He's not the solution. Would be if he could win his own ball. Any on under 21s???

I don't think so. Smith from Cootehill has looked decent to me but I don't think he's bothered much with county football.

Hayes from Cootehill as well. A lot rate him. Is he back in there?

I don't think so. Smith from Cootehill has looked decent to me but I don't think he's bothered much with county football.

Not sure. Playing well with UCD. What about Joe Dillon. Is he injured?

(Online) Cavan fans clearly have two gears: blind optimism (future is blue) or complete despair (a lot of reaction from yesterday).

What we need to recognise, is that Dublin panel is phenomenal. They will continue to steamroller most teams this year. Yesterday was the time to face them, but even still, we needed the planets to align for us to conjure a win- everyone needed to have the game of their lives and for the Dubs to be a bit rusty- neither happened.

Despite the result, there was plenty to be positive about. For 30 minutes we matched the Dubs in intensity and broke with speed. Kicked some great scores. Lots of things we knew anyways: Farrelly is a very good keeper but his distribution is shocking- that put us under a huge amount of pressure, especially when we had to go short continually in the second half- the Dubs pressing was ferocious in spells.

Basic handling & kicking errors against a team like the Dubs is going to result in being punished- you might get away with that against Division two teams.

Smith and Clerkin had fine games. Johnson was a constant threat. Murray looked impressive coming off the bench.

I would question bringing GMac on as a sub- it's not like a game against the Dubs would allow anyone to ease back in after a long injury lay off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Cavan were decent yesterday.....not in Dublins League, and factor in the amount of players we were missing from last year.....Mackey and Givney 2 that come to mind and add to that Gearoid who hasnt kicked any ball this year before today

It will be a struggle to stay up but they gave a decent account of themselves. Jelly missed a couple of easy chances late on as well.

As someone else said, the game next week will be a better measure of where we are. Its the likes of Monaghan Donegal and Roscommon that we should be looking at to take points off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I'm not from about Cavan but keep an eye as i have a few relatives that would be decent footballers and like to keep an eye on things, if it's Colm you're thinking of he's in the squad, has had a few niggly injuries but is fit to go at the minute and is still with the squad.

Advertisement