Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

sorry lads im not saying what i wrote was the truth, i am just skeptical, im sorry though, if a keeper has a bad kickout he should not be anywhere near your county senior team, come on now lads get real here!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

sorry lads im not saying what i wrote was the truth, i am just skeptical, im sorry though, if a keeper has a bad kickout he should not be anywhere near your county senior team, come on now lads get real here!
    You're entitled to your opinion just like anybody else here augustus. Who do you recommend?
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Where does he play for his club, when he's second choice keeper?? Is this a bit like arguing that Stephen Cluxton is not first choice keeper for Parnells
    He doesn't play elsewhere afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

you're entitled to your opinion (even if I don't agree :-) ) - that's what makes for a healthy debate. I don't see a lot of bailieboro so can't comment on his club performance but it is a wee bit odd that's he's not first choice esp if he doesn't play outfield.

But in saying all that, from what I've seen off him he is a good keeper, does need to work on his kickouts esp when we have 2 excellent fielders of the ball around the middle (I'm including Givney here). Re the high ball, I myself don't recall any clangers for the under 21s but I'm not saying they haven't happened. Interesting slant on the one in sligo is that Michael Hannon in the Celt put it down to the sun in his eyes..

Anyway for me O'Mara has the potential to be our no. 1 for many years to come - he's young and will make mistakes on the way but shouldn't be given a hard time for this. James Reilly is a good keeper and is no.1 for the present but also needs to knuckle down and work on his game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Paul Brady plays Robbie McCarthy of Mullingar tomorrow in the All Ireland 40X20 final in Abbeylara. The game is down for 5.30.

Cavan's greatest athlete is looking to further increase his "legacy of greatness".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Team for tomorrow night announced:

@CavanCoBoardGaa: JReilly,KBrady,JMcEnroe, OMinagh, PReilly,AClarke,DO'Reilly,TCorr,GMcKiernan,CMackey,MReilly,KMeehan,NMcDermott,MDunne,DGivney Sat 7pm KBP

Padraig Reilly comes back so Meehan moves into the half forwards to replace McKeever.

No starting positions for Barry Reilly or Keating.

James Reilly in for O'Meara as expected.

Wonder what the delay in naming the team was - meant to be named last night. Had heard today that Cian Mackey was struggling - good to see him named as losing himself and McKeever would have been big blows to the system Terry is employing..

Not looking good at the minute. Down a man to a red card and losing by a point at half time.

Fermanagh are talking to each other alot more and seem to be more experienced. Canavan has them very fit as you'd expect.

It'll take some effort to get a victory here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Paul Brady wins his 10th singles All Ireland trophy.

Phenomenal.

Very annoyed with the penalty decision at the end. I was right at the side of that goal and I can't see how the ref decided it was a foul from where he was standing.

Fermanagh deserved their win and should of had the game put to bed by then by Cavan were only a point behind at that stage and the game hinged on it.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Very annoyed with the penalty decision at the end. I was right at the side of that goal and I can't see how the ref decided it was a foul from where he was standing.

Fermanagh deserved their win and should of had the game put to bed by then by Cavan were only a point behind at that stage and the game hinged on it.

Tbh was hugely disappointed in the keeper - for a big man who pulled 3 certain points from over the bar he never went for a high ball all night and for me it was a stonewall penalty - he dragged the forward down blatantly.. A far cry from the all-star nominated keeper he once was..

Hugely frustrating night all around but don't want to be critical of what is a very honest team who are training hard and trying to do the right things.

Fermanagh were the better team - simple as that and if they had a bit more composure they would have cantered home.

Couple of things.

1. the crowd - I know it was a bad night but still was a disappointing crowd - a lot left before the end too - what do people want of this team - win every game in the first ten minutes??

2. McKeever was a massive loss, Mackey started well but clearly was struggling with a knock and was puffing hard - with that we lost our two usual dirty ball winners and attack starters.

3. David Givney will have few more furstrating games for Cavan - honest as the day is long but was unlucky tonight. McKiernan wasn't his usual dominant self either. Kevin Meehan is a better footballer than he showed tonight.

4. The sending off - biggest Cavan problem for as long as i can recall -indiscipline and sheer stupidity -yes his man dragged him down but you don't walk across him - needs to apologise to his teammates for the sheer stupidity of it and after only 7 minutes too - allowed McCloskey to run the game from then on.

5. Eugene Keating was the right man to bring in but unfortunately had to hunt too deep for ball - Barry Reilly was playing well and was trying to be the playmaker until he got subbed - looks a real prospect..

Overall, we were flat and second best tonight and promotion is probably gone but need two good performance to end on a high.

I hope there is a bigger crowd in Breffni on Wed night for the Under 21s game against Monaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Kick-outs killed us tonight, at least 3 in a row went straight down the middle into no mans land and were picked up by Fermanagh, in fact the majority went down the middle with the 2 midfielders out to the wings.

Sending off was a disaster, i don't know what is in these lads heads that they have to get involved and do stupid things.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

cournioni wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion just like anybody else here augustus. Who do you recommend?

He doesn't play elsewhere afaik.
    he plays no other position.... i would like to see the young chap from Cuchulainns brought in young, but fantastic in every dept, or even givneys brother Jonathan from Mountnugent, big able guy huge kick and seems high enough quality all round.

Tbh was hugely disappointed in the keeper - for a big man who pulled 3 certain points from over the bar he never went for a high ball all night and for me it was a stonewall penalty - he dragged the forward down blatantly.. A far cry from the all-star nominated keeper he once was..

Hugely frustrating night all around but don't want to be critical of what is a very honest team who are training hard and trying to do the right things.

Fermanagh were the better team - simple as that and if they had a bit more composure they would have cantered home.

Couple of things.

1. the crowd - I know it was a bad night but still was a disappointing crowd - a lot left before the end too - what do people want of this team - win every game in the first ten minutes??

2. McKeever was a massive loss, Mackey started well but clearly was struggling with a knock and was puffing hard - with that we lost our two usual dirty ball winners and attack starters.

3. David Givney will have few more furstrating games for Cavan - honest as the day is long but was unlucky tonight. McKiernan wasn't his usual dominant self either. Kevin Meehan is a better footballer than he showed tonight.

4. The sending off - biggest Cavan problem for as long as i can recall -indiscipline and sheer stupidity -yes his man dragged him down but you don't walk across him - needs to apologise to his teammates for the sheer stupidity of it and after only 7 minutes too - allowed McCloskey to run the game from then on.

5. Eugene Keating was the right man to bring in but unfortunately had to hunt too deep for ball - Barry Reilly was playing well and was trying to be the playmaker until he got subbed - looks a real prospect..

Overall, we were flat and second best tonight and promotion is probably gone but need two good performance to end on a high.

I hope there is a bigger crowd in Breffni on Wed night for the Under 21s game against Monaghan.

I'd have to disagree re the penalty. Reilly caught the ball and fumbled it on the way down, the Fermanagh man had it but all Reilly was trying to do was win it back. I was right to the side of that goal in the terrace so had a great view of it. The referee didn't so I think he has to give the benefit of doubt to the defending team.

I was disappointed by James though and did have worries about him before the game as I said here. I hear he's a poor trainer and to me it shows. His kick outs were very poor as mentioned above.

I think other teams know about Mackey now. Fermanagh were cynical at times and any time he went to run he was fouled. He was doing far too much work in the half back line and not the half forward line anyway but that wasn't his fault.

I was surprised by Reilly being taken off. I would have pulled off Martin Reilly or Meehan, neither of whom I'm a big fan of.

I thought Mossy Corr's physicality was missed at midfield as well. The decision not to start him didn't really work out although a few in the stand did mention he apparently had a knock.

Meath and Monaghan will go up now IMO. I can see both winning all their remaining games.

Edit: was late in and missed the sending off (yes it happened that early!) so can't comment on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

celt262 wrote: »
    Conor Gilsenan(spelling?) is now playing for Killinkere and is 3rd choice Cavan keeper so should be on the bench Saturday evening.

On O'Mara, he is dodgy under the highball there was cases during the U21's that he made errors. Good shot stopper but poor enough kick out.

I take back what i said about his kick outs.

While he may not get massive distance he always puts it over the midfielder head and that is important. I would have him as our number 1 keeper now when fit.

I'd have to disagree re the penalty. Reilly caught the ball and fumbled it on
    the way down, the Fermanagh man had it but all Reilly was trying to do was win
    it back. I was right to the side of that goal in the terrace so had a great view
    of it. The referee didn't so I think he has to give the benefit of doubt to the
    defending team.

I was disappointed by James though and did have worries about him before the
    game as I said here. I hear he's a poor trainer and to me it shows. His kick
    outs were very poor as mentioned above.

Yeah we don't have the benefit of replays but point is that that ball (and a few others) shoudl have been met by the keeper at the highest point - while i agree with what others are saying about kick-outs and their importance, it is criminal to have a keeper at this level who cannot claim high ball, causes panic amongst the fullbacks...
    I think other teams know about Mackey now. Fermanagh were cynical at times and
    any time he went to run he was fouled. He was doing far too much work in the
    half back line and not the half forward line anyway but that wasn't his fault.

He was a doubt on Friday with a knock and to me that showed - Canavan also had a plan to stop him and it worked but I could see how hard he was puffing after a great start... he'll be back stronger so not too worried about that - he missed McKeever sharing the load too..

I was surprised by Reilly being taken off. I would have pulled off Martin
    Reilly or Meehan, neither of whom I'm a big fan of.

I thought Mossy Corr's physicality was missed at midfield as well. The
    decision not to start him didn't really work out although a few in the stand did
    mention he apparently had a knock.

Meath and Monaghan will go up now IMO. I can see both winning all their
    remaining games.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that..
    Edit: was late in and missed the sending off (yes it happened that early!) so
    can't comment on it.

7 mins on the clock when it happened :eek: it was stupid and needless and in front of the ref and probably lost us the game..

celt262 wrote: »
    I take back what i said about his kick outs.

While he may not get massive distance he always puts it over the midfielder head and that is important. I would have him as our number 1 keeper now when fit.

Would like to see someone else tried for last two games of league - worth a gamble - struggling to think off who though, Farrelly from Kingscourt maybe??

Hyland has explained in a post match interview (its on the Official Cavan GAA Twitter page and is from YouTube) that Corr didn't start because he was flued all week, hadn't attended work and they didn't expect he'd be fit to play for 70 minutes.

Mark McKeever got engaged in New York so that's why he was away. I doubt he'll be back to start the Wicklow game.

Next big match though is the U21s opening their Ulster title defence on Wednesday. Monaghan are meant to be a good side and will give them a tough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Monaghan have an excellent U21 side. They are 11/8 to win the game, in Breffni, against the reigning Champions. That in itself shows that they are decent. Donegal by comparison are 3/1 to beat Tyrone. Possible team for me might be

1. Gilsenan
    2. McLoughlin -Has been extremely impressive in challenge games I hear
    3. Clarke
    4. Sankey
    5. Sexton
    6. Moynagh (although I think he might be out injured still)
    7. Gerard Smith
    8. Mooney
    9. Paul Graham
    10. Feargal Flanagan
    11. Jack Brady
    12. Joe Dillon
    13. Paul O'Connor
    14. Conor Madden
    15. Enda O'Reilly

McEvoy, Graham, McVeety, Conor Smith, Conroy, will all push hard for starting places too. Hopefully Peter can get the right balance. It's a decent team and almost every lad has an Ulster medal at Minor or U21 or both. But our collapse against Longford in the Hastings Cup is a worry. This is no longer Terry's team. All the pressure is on Cavan, we are now the scalp that people will want to take, especially Monaghan. We have the talent to match Monaghan at the very least, to win we need to want it more and not be content in our new found reputation at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

best of luck to the under 21's tonight
    lets hope we can pull another one over on the auld enemy
    on the seniors chances, i think another year at division 3 level will be no harm
    a lot of young players will benefit from this year and i doubt if they would have been ready for division 2 in any case .

• Advertisement

I would of thought Conroy would start seeing as he was a regular starter last year once Barry Reilly was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Cannot see Moynagh playing he has had very little football this year. Flanagan to go CB in my opinion.

Looking forward to this game now but also nervous- I know we have a hell of a lot of experience and most of the lads have won Ulster at either minor or Under 21 but this Monaghan team are no pushovers. Hopefully the lads can do it tonight - should be a good night for ball too..

The team:

Couldn't make it in to Breffni due to babysitting duties but following it on Anglo-Celt blog - seems like a cracking game - 5 points each..

Cavan lead 8 to 6 at half time.

• Advertisement

Cavan goal 1-8 to 0-6..

I couldn't make it either for the same reason! Cavan lead 1-8 to 6 at the minute and playing very good football by all accounts.

Monaghan goal - level now - squeaky bum time..

This is not good for the heart - level at full-time. Extra time coming up.

3pts up half-time extra time..

• Advertisement

3pts up half-time extra time..

Cavan appear to have very good strength in depth. Madden, Dillon and Duke all coming off the bench.

The seniors could do with that.

Here's to kicking on in the second half of extra time.

All over Cavan by 4 - fantastic result that will stand to the team... Monaghan are a very good team too. If we can transfer this belief and hunger to the senior team we could have good times ahead..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

great win with great heart
    these lads dont know when they are beaten
    lots of work to do yet but a great start

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Great stuff in Breffni last night. When Monaghan went 1 up with only a few minutes left to play I thought that was it. But the lads dug deep and got the game level and then could have had the win but kicked 3 consecutive wides against a resolute Monaghan defence. But fair play to Madden and O'Reilly for going for the score to win it, often nobody would want to take on the responsibility.

Dara McVeety was man of the match in my book. He got on a lot of ball, did the simple thing, picked the right pass, ran into space when it was there for him. I don't recall him making one mistake all game. Gerard Smith also played very well, very good on the ball. Jack Brady is playing in the playmaker role once again and doing very well at it, he has great vision and awareness. Feargal Flanagan is a real warrior, he put his body on the line countless times over the game. He's prone to the odd brainfart but will never be found wanting for determination.

Our Midfield is weak. Argue just didn't have a good night, I remember him in the Minor Ulster Final and thought he was excellent at breaking the ball to a Cavan player. He seemed a bit lost last night. Turloc Mooney could be a better midfield option if he can get fully fit, he operated in the middle for a period last night and make 3/4 fantastic fetches.

Down up next, another very good side by all accounts. Ran Tyrone close in the Minor in 2010, disposed of Monaghan with relative ease last night. Let's hope the lads can get focused again after a great effort from each and every one last night.

Is Kevin Tierney injured or is he overage?

Is Kevin Tierney injured or is he overage?

He is overage he is the same age group as Barry Reilly..

scoopmine wrote: »

He is overage he is the same age group as Barry Reilly..

He must be injured that he isn't in the senior panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Glad to see Cavan got through in the end. Hopefully they can do the three-in-a-row in Ulster and we end up with three of the four AI semi-finalists being Hastings Cup teams.

Oh, and only a week to go until the Rossies invade Breffini ;)

Syferus wrote: »
    Glad to see Cavan got through in the end. Hopefully they can do the three-in-a-row in Ulster and we end up with three of the four AI semi-finalists being Hastings Cup teams.

Don't wreck the place because we'll all be down in Aughrim...:D

Syferus wrote: »

Two weeks actually. We play Wicklow Saturday, there's a week break and then we play ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Two weeks actually. We play Wicklow Saturday, there's a week break and then we play ye.

:pac: The All-Ireland has warped my sense of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Read in the Celt the other day about the County Board striking a deal with the VEC for use of facilities at Dun Ui Neill barracks on the Dublin road. Sounds like a good idea, they have an existing pitch, gym and canteen to be used in conjunction with Breffni Park facilities as part of a centre of excellence. Good news for Cavan football and hurling to get the use of a facility like this free of charge in return for coaching and training VEC teams.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Read in the Celt the other day about the County Board striking a deal with the VEC for use of facilities at Dun Ui Neill barracks on the Dublin road. Sounds like a good idea, they have an existing pitch, gym and canteen to be used in conjunction with Breffni Park facilities as part of a centre of excellence. Good news for Cavan football and hurling to get the use of a facility like this free of charge in return for coaching and training VEC teams.

All the right moves are being made in the county to give us a bright future alright.

Apparently the Wicklow game is in danger of being postponed. The County board haven't confirmed yet but there are rumours.

Most club league games this weekend also appear to have been postponed.

Apparently the Wicklow game is in danger of being postponed. The County board haven't confirmed yet but there are rumours.

Most club league games this weekend also appear to have been postponed.

I noticed that the hurling scheduled for Aughrim tomorrow has been moved to Arklow - must be worried about the pitch cutting up!!

Game confirmed although its given snow in Cavan tonight!

Cavan team to play Wicklow in Aughrim 2moro Sunday 24th March at 2.30pm:
    JReilly, OMinagh, JMcEnroe, PReilly, JHayes, AClarke, JMcCutcheon, TCorr, GMcKiernan, CMackey, DGivney, MReilly, NMcDermott, EKeating, MDunne.

scoopmine wrote: »
    Game confirmed although its given snow in Cavan tonight!

Cavan team to play Wicklow in Aughrim 2moro Sunday 24th March at 2.30pm:
    JReilly, OMinagh, JMcEnroe, PReilly, JHayes, AClarke, JMcCutcheon, TCorr, GMcKiernan, CMackey, DGivney, MReilly, NMcDermott, EKeating, MDunne.

Happy enough with that team. The only player I'm not happy to see starting is Martin Reilly but he's been a mainstay this year.

Good to see McCutcheon and Hayes back. The backs need to ensure they don't give away handy frees.

A start for Keating is a big bonus too. The ball needs to be delivered into him. He's very capable of winning it but he needs to stay in there and not roam down the pitch which he has a tendency to do.

I like that team but we really need to find the right position for Givney soon if he's not going to be playing as a midfielder (and to be fair Mossy Corr deserves his place at midfield along with McKiernan). Agree re Keating - he can do serious damage around the square if he stays there - no point him coming out the field to win ball and pump it in if there is no-one to win it.

I like that team but we really need to find the right position for Givney soon if he's not going to be playing as a midfielder (and to be fair Mossy Corr deserves his place at midfield along with McKiernan). Agree re Keating - he can do serious damage around the square if he stays there - no point him coming out the field to win ball and pump it in if there is no-one to win it.

I wouldn't mind seeing a twin towers approach with Givney and Keating both in the full forward line and Dunne playing off them for breaking ball.

I'm wondering how the team will actually line out tomorrow too.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind seeing a twin towers approach with Givney and Keating both in the full forward line and Dunne playing off them for breaking ball.

I'm wondering how the team will actually line out tomorrow too.

It's another option all right and something you could see happening - put the two of them up there and have Dunne and Mc Dermott feeding off breaks - you could then leave McKeever and Mackey to sit and protect the backs but to be the link men to carry ball and get it up to the lads.

As I've said here before the big positive at the minute is that we have now options both in terms of players and systems.

Advertisement