Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not from Cavan but as a Dublin fan, I don't think your lot have a huge amount to be concerned with.

They came out to play and they could have been only 2 points down at half time if not for a silly free at the break.

Lot of the locals were rightly aggrieved at the lack of movement from midfield in the second half. Lot of players content to stand beside the man in possession rather than taking a chance and bursting into the free space.

That's where the game was lost for you I think. Just shot themselves in the foot and weren't brave enough but there was some great passages of play and some really nice scores. Plenty to work on from both teams but I don't think Cavan disgraced themselves at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

No one's going to beat Dublin so don't feel bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yeah, again a semi neutral as I'm married into Cavan I'd say there's more positives than anything else to be taken from that game.

Dublin are class, they had a strong side out too so it's not like ye were either beat up a stick by the main side or beaten narrowly by the baby dubs. Held your own and should have gone in at half time only 2 behind. Dublin were always going to stretch it out in the second half and I thought that you held your own very well. Dublin will beat most teams in D1 by 7 points or more this year so it was a good run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

(Online) Cavan fans clearly have two gears: blind optimism (future is blue) or complete despair (a lot of reaction from yesterday).

What we need to recognise, is that Dublin panel is phenomenal. They will continue to steamroller most teams this year. Yesterday was the time to face them, but even still, we needed the planets to align for us to conjure a win- everyone needed to have the game of their lives and for the Dubs to be a bit rusty- neither happened.

Despite the result, there was plenty to be positive about. For 30 minutes we matched the Dubs in intensity and broke with speed. Kicked some great scores. Lots of things we knew anyways: Farrelly is a very good keeper but his distribution is shocking- that put us under a huge amount of pressure, especially when we had to go short continually in the second half- the Dubs pressing was ferocious in spells.

Basic handling & kicking errors against a team like the Dubs is going to result in being punished- you might get away with that against Division two teams.

Smith and Clerkin had fine games. Johnson was a constant threat. Murray looked impressive coming off the bench.

I would question bringing GMac on as a sub- it's not like a game against the Dubs would allow anyone to ease back in after a long injury lay off!

You've hit two things I couldn't understand on the head.

1. Ray Galligan won an Ulster All Star last year for goalkeeper so why isn't he starting?
    2 I agree with the decision re McKiernan. He ran into trouble too many times and tried some Hail Mary shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Cavan_King wrote: »
    You've hit two things I couldn't understand on the head.

1. Ray Galligan won an Ulster All Star last year for goalkeeper so why isn't he starting?
    2 I agree with the decision re McKiernan. He ran into trouble too many times and tried some Hail Mary shots.

Galligan still coming back to fitness. But he has to start the next day.

McKiernan needs to play games to get match fit so giving him minutes was no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Galligan still coming back to fitness. But he has to start the next day.

McKiernan needs to play games to get match fit so giving him minutes was no harm.

I watched Galligan warming up on Sunday- granted, take this with a pinch of salt as he obviously knew he wasn't going to be playing- but he didn't strike me as a man who would be ready to start next week against Monaghan

He was stroking the ball without any real conviction during warm up, looking like a man that was feeling his way back into fitness. Again, he might have been taking it easy and could be ready.

I know players need game time to get back to fitness but i was questioning throwing him in against the Dubs when he clearly wasn't fit. Was more worried he would aggravate an existing injury in a game that was clearly beyond us at that stage (and imagine how we would have reacted if he did!). Anyways, no harm done

I watched Galligan warming up on Sunday- granted, take this with a pinch of salt as he obviously knew he wasn't going to be playing- but he didn't strike me as a man who would be ready to start next week against Monaghan

He was stroking the ball without any real conviction during warm up, looking like a man that was feeling his way back into fitness. Again, he might have been taking it easy and could be ready.

I know players need game time to get back to fitness but i was questioning throwing him in against the Dubs when he clearly wasn't fit. Was more worried he would aggravate an existing injury in a game that was clearly beyond us at that stage (and imagine how we would have reacted if he did!). Anyways, no harm done

Because the game was beyond us it was worth giving him few minutes. I'm sure the physios gave the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Because the game was beyond us it was worth giving him few minutes. I'm sure the physios gave the go ahead.

Now, you are 100% right, there's no way the physios would have risked him.

But he came on for Rory Dunne in the 42nd minute. It wasn't a case of giving him a few minutes, it was a tactical sub as we were losing midfield at that stage. Technically we were still chasing the game at that stage*, hence why there was a genuine sense of disbelief on the terrace I was on (most people assumed he wasn't going to be called off the bench during the game).

*in theory we were, but i can't help feeling that there wasn't much belief that we could peg the Dubs back once they went in front and that is a problem. However, I don't think we will have a mental block playing Monaghan, Donegal, Roscommon or Tyrone for that matter

Now, you are 100% right, there's no way the physios would have risked him.

But he came on for Rory Dunne in the 42nd minute. It wasn't a case of giving him a few minutes, it was a tactical sub as we were losing midfield at that stage. Technically we were still chasing the game at that stage*, hence why there was a genuine sense of disbelief on the terrace I was on (most people assumed he wasn't going to be called off the bench during the game).

*in theory we were, but i can't help feeling that there wasn't much belief that we could peg the Dubs back once they went in front and that is a problem. However, I don't think we will have a mental block playing Monaghan, Donegal, Roscommon or Tyrone for that matter

Yeah surprised he got as long as he did. Thought ten mins max. I hope we don't have a mental block versus Monagahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Lads no harm to Rory Dunne but he has looked out of place for the last while i fear that his best days are over .

Was Mossy Corr injured ? Id have thought he'd have suited a game like last sundays .
    Big one this sunday we owe those shower a beating !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

What road in castleblaney is the football ground situated on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Nobbies wrote: »
    What road in castleblaney is the football ground situated on?

It's on the southern outskirts of the town just before the Dundalk turn off on the Carrickmacross road. It's close to the bypass.
    Why is it not in Clones, Castleblaney is hardly suitable for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

From recollection i'd say 'Blaney would get it hard to hold 8 thousand. The new stand holds 2 K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Pity it's not Clones for sure. Would be better suited to a decent crowd you'd think. It should a close tough battle anyways. Cavan have to learn quickly in this Division. Plenty of room for improvement from last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I think people are reading too much into the performance on Sunday against a Dublin team just back playing. They could have had a few goals if they wanted, would have put a different look on the scoreboard.
    Monaghan are a tough, well drilled outfit. We'll have to beat them to have any chance of staying in Div1. If Seanie Johnston is closed down its hard to see where scores will come from.
    Anyway, here's hoping for a big performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

The Castleblayney pitch is tight,and the Cavan players wouldn't be familiar with playing there. Probably why they have it there. They beat Donegal last in castleblayney.

Cavan should have brought the Kerry game to kingscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

rrs wrote: »
    The Castleblayney pitch is tight,and the Cavan players wouldn't be familiar with playing there. Probably why they have it there. They beat Donegal last in castleblayney.

Cavan should have brought the Kerry game to kingscourt.

Monaghan have three home games and they are using three different venues. If Clones was only to get one game, then it would have to be Dublin. They are taking Roscommon to Inniskeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Just back from blaney.......kicked it away in the first half.....easily kicked 5 or 6 short. Definitely should have come away with the 2 points

Just back from blaney.......kicked it away in the first half.....easily kicked 5 or 6 short. Definitely should have come away with the 2 points

Read somewhere 11 dropped short in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

As poor as the shot selection and execution was, and it was diabolical, (we should have been at least 6-0 up before Monaghan scored after 20 minutes) The backline and overall defensive shape was outstanding. Faulkner done a terrific job on McManus and i can't remember a Cavan team forcing as many turn overs in a game in my fairly long time following them.
    Midfield is another worry, Kieran Hughes dominated his match up with Killian Clarke in the air. As outstanding a footballer as Killian is, and he went through a trojan amount of work yesterday,he's not a midfielder in my opinion.
    We need to get Gearoid fit and Argue and Buchanan back from injury, pronto.

• Advertisement

Hammar wrote: »
    As poor as the shot selection and execution was, and it was diabolical, (we should have been at least 6-0 up before Monaghan scored after 20 minutes) The backline and overall defensive shape was outstanding. Faulkner done a terrific job on McManus and i can't remember a Cavan team forcing as many turn overs in a game in my fairly long time following them.
    Midfield is another worry, Kieran Hughes dominated his match up with Killian Clarke in the air. As outstanding a footballer as Killian is, and he went through a trojan amount of work yesterday,he's not a midfielder in my opinion.
    We need to get Gearoid fit and Argue and Buchanan back from injury, pronto.

I'd say issues at midfield helped by our one dimensional kick outs in first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

If ever there was a day to get the full body SKINs out it was yesterday. The wind chill was bitterly cold.
    We were sloppy in not converting in the first half.
    Out muscled in midfield but surely that was apparent before the throw in and with (as mentioned above) the one dimensional kick outs we did ourselves no favors.
    Faulkner should be lauded and Mc Kiernan as willing as he is just isnt match fit yet.
    I tensed up every time we had the ball running into their half back line, it was very tight.
    It's a shame we didnt win.

Sorry a few questions you lads might be able to answer?
    • Any updates on Moynagh's injury?
    • When are Buchanan and Argue back?
    • And whats the deal with Mackay returning
      • Giveny abstaining?
      • Jack Brady not on the panel
      ?

Giggernaut wrote: »
    If ever there was a day to get the full body SKINs out it was yesterday. The wind chill was bitterly cold.
    We were sloppy in not converting in the first half.
    Out muscled in midfield but surely that was apparent before the throw in and with (as mentioned above) the one dimensional kick outs we did ourselves no favors.
    Faulkner should be lauded and Mc Kiernan as willing as he is just isnt match fit yet.
    I tensed up every time we had the ball running into their half back line, it was very tight.
    It's a shame we didnt win.

Sorry a few questions you lads might be able to answer?
    • Any updates on Moynagh's injury?
    • When are Buchanan and Argue back?
    • And whats the deal with Mackay returning
      • Giveny abstaining?
      • Jack Brady not on the panel
      ?

Not sure on Moynagh.
    Buchannan back soon no idea on Argue.
    Mackey slight hamstring injury but needs to get match fit.
    Givney is in London.
    Jack Brady still injured from last years club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Not sure on Moynagh.
    Buchannan back soon no idea on Argue.
    Mackey slight hamstring injury but needs to get match fit.
    Givney is in London.
    Jack Brady still injured from last years club championship.

McKiernan should have spent some time in MF.....the idea of 20 mins last week, and 70 this week at FF was strange. For me he should have started MF and been taken off after 40-50 mins, or whenever he ran out of steam.....no way Monaghan would have dominated MF if he was out there

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

McKiernan should have spent some time in MF.....the idea of 20 mins last week, and 70 this week at FF was strange. For me he should have started MF and been taken off after 40-50 mins, or whenever he ran out of steam.....no way Monaghan would have dominated MF if he was out there

We'll need him there against Colm Cavanagh on Sunday week.
    Anyway we all seen what Tyrone done to Gearoid last year when he was Centre Forward with Aidan McRory following him everywhere and two men converging on him to stop him gaining any sort of momentum anytime he got the ball. McGleenan and co have got to know that treatment is coming again.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Well that was an annoying round trip that could've been avoided!

Well that was an annoying round trip that could've been avoided!

Myself and herself were going to drive up from Sligo. Thank God I decided not to bother.

Why the feck can they not look at that pitch in the morning and see what anyone with two eyes could see that it was never going to be playable. The standing water wasn't going to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Jayop wrote: »
    Myself and herself were going to drive up from Sligo. Thank God I decided not to bother.

Why the feck can they not look at that pitch in the morning and see what anyone with two eyes could see that it was never going to be playable. The standing water wasn't going to clear.

Ye were the lucky ones! We arrived in Omagh at 13.40 only to be told that the game had been called off 10 minutes earlier. 386 km round trip. Very annoying, considering that it had seemingly been clear to lots of people this morning, that the pitch was totally unplayable. I know that the ref had final say, but there needs to be provision for someone closer to the location to make a call in such obvious circumstances.
    The referee stated on the radio, that the ref for the Donegal/Dublin game had in fact called in to see it on his way to Ballybofey earlier and had serious doubts about it's playability (he texted him pictures of a waterlogged pitch apparently). Surely a call could have been made even then, rather than waiting for our ref to arrive at 13.20. Complete pain in the ass, especially considering that we have to make the same trip all over again in a couple of weeks!

Couldn't agree with you more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin camogs got fked over today as well. Sheer incompetence and lack of respect.

Advertisement