Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Jayop wrote:
    Couldn't agree with you more.

That is bloody disgraceful considering reports coming from within , have it that tyrone were informed at 10 30 that the game would not be going ahead !!
    Seems strange also that when Cavan arrived there was no sign of Tyrone apparently

Its very unfair to supporters of both teams
    I'm glad i made the call not to make the 250km round trip

Any ideas when it will be played now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No clue. I know a lot of people in Tyrone are pissed off too. Not as much as you lot who traveled.

Like whose responsibility is it? Are Tyrone to blame here? I'd really hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Seems to be down to lack of communication. Dub girls mightily pissed off. Weather was ****e but call might have been made earlier. Ce la vie!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Seems to be down to lack of communication. Dub girls mightily pissed off. Weather was ****e but call might have been made earlier. Ce la vie!

Who's responsible for making the call? Can Tyrone declare the pitch unplayable or does it have to come from the ref? Surely common sense is required although going by this weekend it's in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Ref. Has happened a few times. No ones fault really but participants being fked is understandable. Weather was weird this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Jayop wrote: »
    Who's responsible for making the call? Can Tyrone declare the pitch unplayable or does it have to come from the ref? Surely common sense is required although going by this weekend it's in short supply.
    it seems the ref is the only one that can call it off, but jesus, there was lakes on the pitch so only a fool would play in conditions like that and it shouldnt take the arrival of the ref to confirm the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

it seems the ref is the only one that can call it off, but jesus, there was lakes on the pitch so only a fool would play in conditions like that and it shouldnt take the arrival of the ref to confirm the obvious.

Pencilled in for Sunday week.....in Omagh. 2 pm

Tyrone players were nowhere to be seen. Cavan team in the dressing rooms in Omagh when they got word.

Some of the players said the underfoot conditions were on a par with the conditions when they played in Omagh last year. Drainage.....or lack of it being the issue. It's a joke really when u see club officials and players out with pitchforks trying to drain water off club fields and yet a County Board in Tyrone couldn't organise the same.

Was there a case for last summers county final in Tyrone where normal punters done all they could to get the game played?

Our lads could at least have been told that there was a huge doubt over the game.

If Tyrone knew the game was off at 11am, then the County Board should have been advised. Instead the County Board were tweeting and posting Facebook messages saying leave early due to road conditions....I was in Omagh when told the game was off

CBW I replied to your post in part in the Tyrone thread because I didn't want to drag this one off topic and I was going to be going way miles from talking about Cavan.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056537430&page=20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Another downpour just finished, anyone know what time the pitch inspection is at tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

tanko wrote: »
    Another downpour just finished, anyone know what time the pitch inspection is at tomorrow?

Between 12 and 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Game confirmed to go ahead on Cavan Gaa twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

tanko wrote: »
    Game confirmed to go ahead on Cavan Gaa twitter.

Mother of mercy, we were poor tonight. Faulkner was brilliant, and aside from Madden & Martin Reilly did okay, no one else really can be happy with their performance. Defensively we were all over the shop even before Clarke was sent off.

We were so lethargic for the first 10 minutes. Absolutely no energy or drive at all.

Murphy ran the show and we were cleaned out in midfield completely.

Donegal's movement was exceptional-
    We were pedestrian in comparison.

Discipline is still poor.

Division two beckons

I honestly think our manager hadn't a clue. Reflected in subs, tactics and team selections.

I honestly think our manager hadn't a clue. Reflected in subs, tactics and team selections.

We were shambolic for the 1st 15 minutes. I know we've done it to death about our dearth of forwards, but defensively we have been solid for years. But today we were a mess.

Sending off didn't help, but Donegal could have been out of site at that stage but for poor finishing.

But you're right, we really didn't have a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

We don't have a good shape to us at all, at the minute. OK, it may not always have been pretty betimes over the last few years, but there was a plan and a shape that we tried to stick to. It paid off...we didn't find ourselves back in Div1 by accident. Last year in particular (ok, different quality of opposition granted) we looked more tactically prepared and moved forward with purpose. I don't see much evidence of that these days. We have a potentially great back 7 but m/f isn't clicking and there is nothing cohesive about us going up the field, most of the time.

McG talking the talk, but not walking the walk yet. Everyone deserves a proper chance, and I'll happily be proven wrong, but I'm not convinced by what I've seen from him so far. Hopefully that will change soon.
    I'll be interested to hear his take on last night. The 'isn't it great to be here...over the moon' schtick has worn very thin with me (and many more!) by now!

The 1st half was a total write off last night...frustrating to see the amount of primary possession and breaking balls lost around the middle. I don't know how we managed to only go in 2 down at the break!
    The 2nd half was better, and showed glimpses of potential at times, even if it was fairly obvious that the game was out of reach. We pushed forward better for 20 minutes or so, and got a few nice scores. If we can play like that for 70 minutes, we might be onto something.
    Finishing the game with 15 on the field would also be a help...it really is an uphill battle when the opposition have the numbers to play keep ball with, for long periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

Gearoid McKiernan might be a talented player ,but his work rate is poor. He was going through the motions like a lot of Cavan players.
    Discipline is very poor. McVeety was booked and the ref let him off with a second yellow. He does reckless tackles in nearly every game , Killian Brady the same.

Think the Cavan team and management is being found out at this level.

Team for Omagh announced...

1. Ray Galligan
    2. Fergal Reilly
    3. Killian Brady
    4. Jason McLoughlin
    5. Ciaran Brady
    6. Conor Moynagh
    7. Martin Reilly
    8. Tomas Corr
    9. Gearoid McKiernan
    10. Gerard Smith
    11. Dara McVeety
    12. Niall Clerkin
    13. Niall Murray
    14. Conor Madden
    15. Sean Johnston

Surprised to see Faulkner on the bench...I'd have him in there.

Team for Omagh announced...

1. Ray Galligan
    2. Fergal Reilly
    3. Killian Brady
    4. Jason McLoughlin
    5. Ciaran Brady
    6. Conor Moynagh
    7. Martin Reilly
    8. Tomas Corr
    9. Gearoid McKiernan
    10. Gerard Smith
    11. Dara McVeety
    12. Niall Clerkin
    13. Niall Murray
    14. Conor Madden
    15. Sean Johnston

Surprised to see Faulkner on the bench...I'd have him in there.

He was limping at end of last game.

Good to see Mc Loughlin back, I was beginning to wonder had he run over Mc Glennon's cat or something

I still think Mc Loughlin, Dunne, Faulkner should be our full back line

Clarke, Moynagh, Brady

I'm not sure after that!

I know sticking Mc Veety in at full forward was almost a necessity to keep him safe from a sending off and at the time I thought it was madness....but, I actually think there's method there.

He's lightening quick, strong and can win ball. Would add some much needed movement and incision in that full forward line

Oh, and good to see Niall Mc Kiernan back on the panel.

• Advertisement

Good to see Mc Loughlin back, I was beginning to wonder had he run over Mc Glennon's cat or something

I still think Mc Loughlin, Dunne, Faulkner should be our full back line

Clarke, Moynagh, Brady

I'm not sure after that!

I know sticking Mc Veety in at full forward was almost a necessity to keep him safe from a sending off and at the time I thought it was madness....but, I actually think there's method there.

He's lightening quick, strong and can win ball. Would add some much needed movement and incision in that full forward line

I wouldn't rate McLoughlin as a marker at all. Think he's great going forward. Never seen him mark anyone out of a game.

I wouldn't rate McLoughlin as a marker at all. Think he's great going forward. Never seen him mark anyone out of a game.

I'd like to see him getting a decent run there. Loads of potential.

Ah right...I didn't spot that.

I'd like to see him getting a decent run there. Loads of potential.

Could see him as a quality attacking half back and helping out at kickouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

What can we say about that ?
    This div 1 crack is teaching us a hard lesson

cavan4sam wrote: »
    What can we say about that ?
    This div 1 crack is teaching us a hard lesson

Strange changing tactics at half time and stopped pushing up on kick outs. No need to take of Murray. Mossy is a passenger at this stage. The managers use of subs is strange. First half was good. Need to keep playing like that for two halves.

The first half was decent, but Cavan were playing with a strong wind. Cavan were still very defensive first half. As for the second half, 1 point scored and 12 conceded.

Great interview with Seanie Johnson on the Sportsjoe podcast with Woolie there yesterday. Ye should have a listen. He talks a lot about the Kildare saga and it was nice to hear his side of it all for the first time. Chatting about Cavan now and the young players you have. Very good.

Johnston seemed reluctant enough to talk about it. Most of the questions were about the kildare move ,as if it wasn't discussed before.

• Advertisement

rrs wrote: »
    Johnston seemed reluctant enough to talk about it. Most of the questions were about the kildare move ,as if it wasn't discussed before.

I've never heard him speak about it before though and that was for me the interesting part of it all,. There was loads of talk nationwide and I'm sure in Cavan it was the No1 topic for a summer at least, but nice to get the actual person involved's view.

Can't blame him for skirting it either. I'm sure he'd love to say Andrews screwed him around and he wanted to play county football so felt he had no choice but to move. I thought avoiding saying the obvious was a credit to him.

Advertisement