Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Great win lads. Well played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Mayo 0-15 Cavan 1-14

Great result here, against all the odds & predictions :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Great performance by Cavan in a very enjoyable game. Fingers crossed youse stay up now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Great result and performance but Mattie needs to have a word with Moynagh......his shooting and kicking was woeful. Big G McVeety and Clarke especially were immense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Great result and performance but Mattie needs to have a word with Moynagh......his shooting and kicking was woeful. Big G McVeety and Clarke especially were immense

Great result today and regardless of the result I'd have been happy with the style of play..
    Thought madden was poor in first half . mcveety while he was good cant stop running into trouble
    Rory Dunne proved me wrong with a great performance
    As for Moynagh i would say it was was a courageous decision for him to play today after a tough personal week so I'll forgive his wayward passing
    Mossy corr done a lot of dogged work again
    I'm optimistic about getting another win and staying up
    I cant see mayo beating donegal or tyrone 2 teams still in the hunt for a final place #believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Yeah Moynagh puts us under real pressure with some of the Hollywood passing. He needs to keep it simple. And what was he at nudging in for the throw up ball?! Gearoid should have turfed him out on his ear.

Madden did well winning his own ball and got one good score but we need more of a return from him if he's to make the 14 jersey his own. I thought Niall McDermott would have done as good or better if he was played today.

There are plenty of positives though!! Mossy showed McGleenan why he's been our first choice midfielder for a few years now, that point where he caught the ball one handed was a thing of beauty.
    McGleenan has also put Martin Reilly back into his best position and reaped huge dividends.
    McVeety was at the core of so much of our good play and using him as an option inside is one of McGleenan's trials that has worked.
    Killian Clarke stopped trying too hard to play a captain's role and catch headlines, he did the simple things well, stuck to his task on O'Connor and carried well going forward.
    As for Gearoid, well it's no surprise to anyone who follows Cavan to see him do what he did today. The 55 metre free, the scores off left and right, the goal... He really can do it all, lets hope he can give us a couple of repeat performances in the next 2 weeks.

Regardless of whether we stay up or not, this result was big for Cavan. We showed that when we put in a performance we have the players that can take the scalp of a top team. Mayo played well today, for a long time it looked like they simply couldn't miss and they were kicking monster scores. We didn't panic on the field or on the line, stuck to the task and the touch of class from McVeety to create and then Gearoid to finish the goal gave us the platform to win the game.

I don't think we will beat Kerry, so in my eyes we need Donegal and Tyrone to beat Mayo and we need to beat Roscommon. That's our path to survival. Mayo may have something to say about that though, I think they can get a result to keep themselves up.

I'd give us maybe a 30% chance at the moment. Which is 30% more than I'd have given us this morning!

Well done and thanks to the players and managers, a result well earned that was hugely enjoyable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Well done 2 yeah today. A deserved win...no fight in mayo at all today....

I watched the game back on TG4 player (it's been a rough campaign needed to revel in the win) Few thoughts:

- Conor Madden was lucky to stay on for the whole game. He got one fantastic score with two Mayo players bearing down on him but aside from that he contributed very little. He kicked a few wides, laid off most possession to his nearest team mate and generally looked tentative and reluctant to try impose himself on the game to any degree. If he can't do it against a Mayo side letting us play, he won't have much of a chance in the pressure cooker of an Ulster Championship game.

-Niall Clerkin struggled physically. He seems to be a constant under McGleenan which I find strange. I don't think he has the conditioning to be a nailed down starter every game, I think we have better players.

-Martin Reilly was probably our MOTM. He was everywhere, I only really noticed his contributions to our scores but when you look back he caused multiple turnovers in defence and made one outstanding diving intervention which prevented an almost certain goal for Mayo.

- Joe Dillon; a great lad! Has he even played in this year's league yet? I don't think he has. Came on, battled for and won the first ball kicked to him and kicked the insurance score for us.

-Feargal Reilly has been an excellent addition to the team. He's probably not as good a footballer as Jason McLoughlin but he has that nasty streak that Jason doesn't really have. I'd like to see McLoughlin tried out in the half back or half forward line, he has enough ability not to be pigeon-holed as a corner back.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Great to get a win under our belts...first time in a long auld time that we've scalped one of the 'top' teams.

Going down yesterday, there was plenty of chat around the fact that for the first time this year, we were all happy enough with how the team was lining out. The team selections to date just didn't sit right with anyone and were overly experimental. It was obvious that some experiments were not working and that others didn't get a proper chance at all. We lined out on a more obvious way yesterday and it worked...the proof of the pudding is in the eating and all that jazz!

When Mayo went 5 up, with a strong wind, it looked ominous, but for whatever reason, from then on, they out Cavaned Cavan...endless lateral recycling, no penetration etc etc. Another team would've approached it in a very different manner and it was fairly clear to see what they needed to keep doing, but for whatever reason they didn't! Once the goal went in everyone could smell blood and it is a credit to our lads that they took the opportunity when it presented itself, because we don't always do that.

Of course there are things that could've been better and one swallow doesn't make a Summer, but we've had a lot of negatives to process over the last few weeks, so let's just soak up a wee bit of positivity for a while.

Some great performances...Big G (obviously!), Rory, Killian (way more at home at 6), Martin and Dara McV all played well, and I thought that Joe D had a good cut to him when he came on. I'd like to see more of him tbh.
    That pass from Martin to Mossy was pure sexy...pity he didn't stick it in the top corner!

We've given ourselves a fighting chance of survival, so hopefully we'll go out and give Kerry their fill of it next weekend. In the meantime, have a pint or two, if you're into that kind of thing and enjoy the fact that we've just beaten last year's All Ireland finalists in their own back yard. We have more than our fair share of bad days, so it is important to enjoy the good ones when they do come along!

Well said KTF that interception by Martin Reilly was single handedly the biggest play of the game for us
    If i recall we were around 3 behind at the time
    I'm not overly confident going into the kerry game but we play well against teams from outside Ulster so hope is hope
    Personally i think our destiny is in our own hands and if we can bring the same confidence and passion to our last two games, well then we'll go out fighting
    I really hope hope we dont rue that point dropped against Monaghan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Yeah Moynagh puts us under real pressure with some of the Hollywood passing. He needs to keep it simple. And what was he at nudging in for the throw up ball?! Gearoid should have turfed him out on his ear.

Madden did well winning his own ball and got one good score but we need more of a return from him if he's to make the 14 jersey his own. I thought Niall McDermott would have done as good or better if he was played today.

There are plenty of positives though!! Mossy showed McGleenan why he's been our first choice midfielder for a few years now, that point where he caught the ball one handed was a thing of beauty.
    McGleenan has also put Martin Reilly back into his best position and reaped huge dividends.
    McVeety was at the core of so much of our good play and using him as an option inside is one of McGleenan's trials that has worked.
    Killian Clarke stopped trying too hard to play a captain's role and catch headlines, he did the simple things well, stuck to his task on O'Connor and carried well going forward.
    As for Gearoid, well it's no surprise to anyone who follows Cavan to see him do what he did today. The 55 metre free, the scores off left and right, the goal... He really can do it all, lets hope he can give us a couple of repeat performances in the next 2 weeks.

Regardless of whether we stay up or not, this result was big for Cavan. We showed that when we put in a performance we have the players that can take the scalp of a top team. Mayo played well today, for a long time it looked like they simply couldn't miss and they were kicking monster scores. We didn't panic on the field or on the line, stuck to the task and the touch of class from McVeety to create and then Gearoid to finish the goal gave us the platform to win the game.

I don't think we will beat Kerry, so in my eyes we need Donegal and Tyrone to beat Mayo and we need to beat Roscommon. That's our path to survival. Mayo may have something to say about that though, I think they can get a result to keep themselves up.

I'd give us maybe a 30% chance at the moment. Which is 30% more than I'd have given us this morning!

Well done and thanks to the players and managers, a result well earned that was hugely enjoyable to watch.

Mossy showed why he Cavans first choice in midfield? His man scored four points. He didn't touch the ball until 25 minutes in to game. That's poor for a midfielder. Game bypassed him against Tyrone too. Against Donegal Murphy destroyed him and he was taking of early against Monaghan after barely touching the ball.

There was no accounting for some of the scores Kirby got, shots from near the sideline at tight angles, you force guys to shoot from those sort of angles. Mossie got two fantastic points himself and put in a good defensive shift.
    He played the entire game against Monaghan and was taken off in injury time?

He's never going to be an All Star but he works hard, throws himself around and pops up with important scores. More effective and consistent in midfield than any other Cavan player in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

Corrs a good hardworking player. Not the most talented but makes up in effort.

Moynagh I agree about above should play it more simple. His passing is erratic, if you watch closely in most games he kicks away as much as finds a player. I wouldn't have in the team if everyone was fit.

There was no accounting for some of the scores Kirby got, shots from near the sideline at tight angles, you force guys to shoot from those sort of angles. Mossie got two fantastic points himself and put in a good defensive shift.
    He played the entire game against Monaghan and was taken off in injury time?

He's never going to be an All Star but he works hard, throws himself around and pops up with important scores. More effective and consistent in midfield than any other Cavan player in recent years.

I believe he was a great servant. Just feel legs aren't what the were. Kirby kicked under no pressure at all.

Well lads game on today, It be great if we beat the Kerry boys today, And after last weekend sure its not impossible.

Another good result today, well done lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pity we couldn't do you a favour

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Im assuming we're down if it's based on points difference? Can see next week being a tight affair against the Rossies. H2H a different story. Not much online.

A point that keeps us alive until the last day but we're now relying on two other results going in our favour. Chances are slim but if you'd offered any Cavan supporter this scenario after the Tyrone loss you'd have taken it!

Most importantly, the team seems to have taken shape all of a sudden. We're still haunted by the same old shooting problems but we look to be back to the structured cohesive team we saw last year.

All we can do is focus on the controllables now, beat Roscommon by anything at all (but as much as we can) and see where that leaves us next Sunday evening.

U21 game against Donegal Wednesday evening. Donegal being touted as All Ireland contenders so there's very little expectation on Cavan. It will take a huge performance far above what we've seen from this particular group of Cavan players so far if we are to win.

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Im assuming we're down if it's based on points difference? Can see next week being a tight affair against the Rossies. H2H a different story. Not much online.

If just us and Mayo finish on 6 it goes head to head and we ok. But if Kerry finish on 6 we're down. So we need Mayo to lose and Kerry to get at least a point. And we have to beat Roscommon.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I think I've being proved right about Mossy. Need Buchannan back big time.

If we win next weekend and both Mayo and Kerry lose then are we not safe?

Mini group: Cavan 3 Mayo 2 and Kerry 1??

Also a question or 2 re the match.....was there not a stone wall balck card missed in the second half when Crowley (i think) pretty much jumped on McVeetys back to haul him down?

Good result but I though the referee did us no favours.....gave them a lot of soft frees in scoring areas. Blatantly ignored overcarrying, and I think at times our lads were afraiad to tackle in the second half

If we win next weekend and both Mayo and Kerry lose then are we not safe?

Mini group: Cavan 3 Mayo 2 and Kerry 1??

Also a question or 2 re the match.....was there not a stone wall balck card missed in the second half when Crowley (i think) pretty much jumped on McVeetys back to haul him down?

Good result but I though the referee did us no favours.....gave them a lot of soft frees in scoring areas. Blatantly ignored overcarrying, and I think at times our lads were afraiad to tackle in the second half

We're down then on score difference. Head to head only if two teams involved. Anymore then it's score difference such as the above case.

We're down then on score difference. Head to head only if two teams involved. Anymore then it's score difference such as the above case.

Thanks for the clarification......(even though it makes zero sense)...it should be either head to head or scoring difference, not both

Any opinions on the black card? I was a nice bit away but looked a stonewall black to me

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Stonewall black card for me, exactly the type of foul that the black card was designed for.

Thought Degan was poor, Kerry lads seem to go to ground easily at times and he bought it constantly.

Good performance yesterday its nice to know that we can play against the bigger teams and be competitive
    With regards to staying up i think we are in with a real shout .
    I think Kerry at home will beat Tyrone and Donegal beat Mayo

The problem is that we face what seems to be a bogey team for us in Roscommon ..it would be great to stay up but either way this bunch have fought hard and will have learned

Good performance yesterday its nice to know that we can play against the bigger teams and be competitive

The problem is that we face what seems to be a bogey team for us in Roscommon ..it would be great to stay up but either way this bunch have fought hard and will have learned

cavan4sam wrote: »

Unfortunately Donegal will not beat Mayo in my opinion. No Ryan Mchugh plus Donegal probably don't fancy a league final against Dublin.

Unfortunately Donegal will not beat Mayo in my opinion. No Ryan Mchugh plus Donegal probably don't fancy a league final against Dublin.

I've seem a few people say this, I don't really get it. Why wouldn't Donegal want another game against Dublin having drawn with them earlier in the league? A big game in Croke Park against the best team in the country would be huge for their younger players, another competitive game before the Ulster Championship.

• Advertisement

A league final against Dublin should they beat our nearest and dearest neighbours ,, dont rule it out that the dubs may not make the final they've struggled against them on a number of occasions in the last few years

Advertisement