Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I've seem a few people say this, I don't really get it. Why wouldn't Donegal want another game against Dublin having drawn with them earlier in the league? A big game in Croke Park against the best team in the country would be huge for their younger players, another competitive game before the Ulster Championship.

A hammering before championship would not be good for young players. Plus the fact that they've had some injuries so won't want risk of more. And there the potential two games for u21s with six starters on senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

A hammering before championship would not be good for young players. Plus the fact that they've had some injuries so won't want risk of more. And there the potential two games for u21s with six starters on senior team.

I can't see an intercounty team at this level thinking that way. I can only imagine the players would love the opportunity to play Dublin in a league final and try to end their winning run. Donegal haven't taken any big hammerings off Dublin in recent times that I can recall? They drew with them only a few weeks ago and should have beaten them. There's no fear of Dublin in Donegal.

I can't see an intercounty team at this level thinking that way. I can only imagine the players would love the opportunity to play Dublin in a league final and try to end their winning run. Donegal haven't taken any big hammerings off Dublin in recent times that I can recall? They drew with them only a few weeks ago and should have beaten them. There's no fear of Dublin in Donegal.

Hope I'm wrong but Rory Gallagher has history of putting out reserves for final game. Also Tyrone could well beat Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Before any ball is kicked, we know that Roscommon, after a two-year stint in the top flight, will be relegated.

Cavan are just above them in the table and they must beat the Rossies in their final game to have any chance of staying up.

Panel in Full:
    1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
    2. Killian Brady (Mullahoran)
    3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)
    4. Fergal Reilly (Castlerahan)
    5. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
    6. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
    7. Ciaran Brady (Arvagh)
    8. Tomas Corr (Denn)
    9. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    10. Gerard Smith (Lavey)
    11. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
    12. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
    13. Niall Murray (Cavan Gaels)
    14. Joe Dillon (Kingscourt)
    15. Niall McDermott (Ballinagh)

16. James Farrelly (Kingscourt)
    17. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
    18. Stephen Murray (Cavan Gaels)
    19. James McEnroe (Ramor United)
    20. Joshua Hayes (Cootehill Celtic)
    21. Shane O’Rourke (Laragh United)
    22. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    23. Conor Madden (Gowna)
    24. Niall Clerkin (Shercock)
    25. Liam Buchanan (Ballymachugh)
    26. Jack Brady (Ramor United)
    27. Michael Argue (Bailieborough)
    28. Colm Smith (Cootehill Celtic)
    29. Niall McKiernan (Lacken)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Cavan down too 14men and 3mins plus injury time left?mc glennan must be out of his depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

Cavan were very poor. Better team and probably should have won by more. Very little intensity from Cavan.

The lads on we are cavan talk some nonsense on the podcasts. At least this results is a wake up call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Well Adios to division 1
    I think we gave a decent account of ourselves apart from half a game against tyrone and the donegal game
    This game was always gonna be tight and their goal was a real sucker punch .
    we seemed to panic when under pressure
    Hopefully we'll have a good run in championship
    Just a query was Seanie injured today . i thought we could have done with him in the second half today when we missed a few frees at vital times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 chooo chooo

Think he opted for the kildare hurlers today

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He has a shoulder injury which he received a few games ago and which is not healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

He has a shoulder injury which he received a few games ago and which is not healing.

It's not the shoulder that kept him out yesterday, he had an ankle problem and was wearing a protective boot. I think he had some minor procedure completed on it.

• Advertisement

Club football back in full swing. Usual suspects doing well in division 1. One thing that is noticeable has being the absolute hammerings some teams have got. 30 points plus at senior level is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Lads off the back of the Championship games being cancelled in Cavan due to injuries.
    Who are we looking at losing, have any been confirmed as definitely out?

Im out of the country but back for the Monaghan game, hard to find decent info about squad news.

Cheers
    Gigs

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Lads off the back of the Championship games being cancelled in Cavan due to injuries.
    Who are we looking at losing, have any been confirmed as definitely out?

Im out of the country but back for the Monaghan game, hard to find decent info about squad news.

Cheers
    Gigs

The biggest doubt is McVeety. Everyone else should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Club games this eve, but County players not involved........Challenge match out west tomorrow

Club games this eve, but County players not involved........Challenge match out west tomorrow

Where is the game tomorrow

RIP Dominic Early very sad news out of the Cavan camp . Thoughts are with his family

Well lads, big game the weekend. Does anyone have insight on how things are going? How have the challenge matches have gone? Injuries?

I arrived home Friday evening and cannot wait. Looking forward to a better game than the League encounter. A game we should have won.
    Although cant see McManus and Jack McCarron being as quiet again.

The Hughes brothers around the midfield also have me worried. I like Mossy for his commitment but the midfield needs to be mobile and if McGleenan is to put his mark on the team I like to see speed in that area. Cavans problem has been scoring. Hopefully it'll all click come Sunday in front of the RTE cameras.

Team named I'm disappointed no mossie in midfield or mcveety up front
    Otherwise happy enough
    Its time for these lads to stand up and be counted
    I really feel we can do this !!!

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Team named I'm disappointed no mossie in midfield or mcveety up front
    Otherwise happy enough
    Its time for these lads to stand up and be counted
    I really feel we can do this !!!

I wouldn't be too disheartened having no Mossie. I agree he gives his all and in certain games especially in the League when the pace is slower he's very effective.
    The Championship is different, this Monaghan team will be very different vs League. It's a game for a running midfield. Buchcanon and McKiernan is a nice signal of intent. McVeety is a loss but a Mackey return to the team is a reason for optimisim.
    My only issue in a tight game like this is our bench and having that impact sub. McVeety will be that player with the rumour doing the rounds that since his inclusion Caoimhin o Reilly has impressed.
    Don't know much about him but he's apparently one for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Absolute **** from cavn

• Advertisement

soap1978 wrote: »
    Absolute **** from cavn

Couldn't agree more. We didn't have a forward line at all and the repetitive passing and passing with no real apparent tactics was god awful.

Sad to say we are no further on with McGleenan. I didn't see any real improvement, Monaghan I felt had additional gears to move through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. We didn't have a forward line at all and the repetitive passing and passing with no real apparent tactics was god awful.

Sad to say we are no further on with McGleenan. I didn't see any real improvement, Monaghan I felt had additional gears to move through.

Monaghan have McManus and McCarron.....we dont have any classy top notch inside forwards. At least three times in the first half I counted Monaghan having 14 or in one case, 15 inside their 45

They were passing the ball over and back looking for openings also...they just have the classier forwards....the stuff you cant coach

Our biggest issue was not making enough use of the wind in the first half......early on, Mackey was the only one who had the liathroidi to shoot from distance, then Moynagh and McKiernan hit good long range scores.

In the second half, the wind was a major factor. I was pretty much in line with the goals we were shooting into, and the way it held up the ball was serious....the ball had to be worked in to 30 yards to create a scoring chance

Whats Plan B? Lump it into a small ff line, and have Drew Wylie and the boys clean up and break at pace?

For me McKiernan didnt give enough, Clerkin was annonymous, Gerry Smith carried a lot of ball but had nothing to show for it....travel 20 yards and turn back. There also needed to be more movement from the FF line, which to an extent you can blame Mattie for

I would argue that the support play isnt good enough.....running off the shoulder, but on a wet sh!tty day like that I dont think intricate off loads and hand passing is the way to play it.

McManus was clinical with the goal, that won it....we dont have the classy inside forwards....even Johnston at his best was never at McManus level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

They also had Conor McCarthy coming off the bench kicking 2 good scores. Another quality forward. Cavan had to work hard to get scores, Monaghan scores came more at ease.

Barry McGinn would be another good forward for them, out injured with a cruciate. Cavan aren't producing forwards like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

Very disappointing after noon. The game itself was not bad and the ending was very exciting.

Our tactics in the first half was dreadful, looked like we had no plan to capitalise playing with the wind, you swear we were against it at times in the first half.

Gearoid again failed to grab the game by the scruff of the neck in a game that really matters. His career is going to pass him by if he is not careful. Moynagh had a good first half but then reverted to his default emptyheaded bringing the ball into contact and turning it over costing us scores. Mackey was brilliant all game.

Felt sorry for Conor Madden, looked like he froze out there. I thought it was strange to take of bucannan. His physicality was something we could have done with in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Watched that game yesterday. Some thoughts.
    Moynagh was very poor. Scored a good point but gave away simple possession 3 times in the first half when Cavan were attacking. He should have cleaned McManus out of it before he scored the goal. Take one for the team so to speak. Could have been replaced too.
    Buchanan should have been sent in full forward in the second half to break down high ball. Was needed there more in the second-half than the first.
    Cavan too slow to make changes. Clerkin was anonymous as was Madden.
    Mc Kiernan was anonymous for most of the game.
    Mackey was the only Cavan forward to score from play. This area needs a lot of work.

Bitterly disappointed with the result
    We just didnt have the balls to win it
    The goal was the crucial score as we all know but wtf was moynagh at waving at him going by when he should have been taking him clean out of it

That said they were the better side and experience showed .

We seem to have too much loyalty to Gearoid when he disappears on us

I'm worried now about the intensity we will bring to the qualifiers we really need a good run

Onwards and upwards

We'll get them yet 😫😫

Any thoughts from yesterday ? Didn't get to it but had a feeling it would be a sticky one
    Tipp at home next not exactly the draw we wanted

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Any thoughts from yesterday ? Didn't get to it but had a feeling it would be a sticky one
    Tipp at home next not exactly the draw we wanted

Rather Tipp than Monaghan again.

Poor game last night. Lot of mistakes and no intensity. Gearoid shot the lights out against poor opposition as per usual. Buchannan two nice points but carrying too much timber. Gerry Smith went of injured after scoring a brilliant point. McEnroe was roasted in first half but done well when moved. Faulkner very good. Mackey good second half with his vision and kick passing. Young Galligan looked good when he came on. Clerkin contributed nothing while Seanie got thecl curly finger after ten minutes. Dillon came on with two minutes left. Pointless. Deserves a proper run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Maybe my standards are lower (possibly due to dire blanket defence-addled games) but i thought it was an enjoyable evening. Sure, the standards weren't the highest but there was a decent ebb and flow in the first half and whilst both sides were guily of errors, there were some decent scores kicked as well.

We were impressive for 10 minutes after the break and completely blew them out of the water. Game was over when we went 8 points up but sadly we didn't keep that intensity and against a better team we would have been in trouble.

Agree with your assessment in terms of our best players but also thought Ciaran Brady was outstanding and kicked a nice score. I don't want to run players down but Clerkin was poor again and by the end his confidence looked shot as he skinned his marker and had a clear point on but elected to play it off to Mc Kiernan who was actually in a worse position. Would have made more sense to give Dillon game time instead.

I am a big fan of Mc Enroe but he was very poor in the first half. I reckon he was directly responsible for 5 or 6 scores in the 1st half- twice with awful distribution, twice with fouls and was always behind Dunne who kicked scores off him. I don't think he's a full back so why was Finbarr Reilly on the bench (again) after a good turn as full back in the league?

And Mc Glennon's substiutions continue to perplex. Why was Moynagh subbed a minute before half time? If Killian Clarke was injured, why bring him on when the game was won? We were getting cleaned out on our left hand side on their kick outs yet he didn't change anything there. Yet he subbed Johnson after 15 minutes and left other players who weren't performing on for the full game.

If we had have emptied the bench when we were 8 up and basically told the likes of Connolly, Dillon etc that they were playing for their place in the next round we probably wouldn't have been as complacent.

Tipperary next, that is going to be a challenge.

• Advertisement

Maybe my standards are lower (possibly due to dire blanket defence-addled games) but i thought it was an enjoyable evening. Sure, the standards weren't the highest but there was a decent ebb and flow in the first half and whilst both sides were guily of errors, there were some decent scores kicked as well.

We were impressive for 10 minutes after the break and completely blew them out of the water. Game was over when we went 8 points up but sadly we didn't keep that intensity and against a better team we would have been in trouble.

Agree with your assessment in terms of our best players but also thought Ciaran Brady was outstanding and kicked a nice score. I don't want to run players down but Clerkin was poor again and by the end his confidence looked shot as he skinned his marker and had a clear point on but elected to play it off to Mc Kiernan who was actually in a worse position. Would have made more sense to give Dillon game time instead.

I am a big fan of Mc Enroe but he was very poor in the first half. I reckon he was directly responsible for 5 or 6 scores in the 1st half- twice with awful distribution, twice with fouls and was always behind Dunne who kicked scores off him. I don't think he's a full back so why was Finbarr Reilly on the bench (again) after a good turn as full back in the league?

And Mc Glennon's substiutions continue to perplex. Why was Moynagh subbed a minute before half time? If Killian Clarke was injured, why bring him on when the game was won? We were getting cleaned out on our left hand side on their kick outs yet he didn't change anything there. Yet he subbed Johnson after 15 minutes and left other players who weren't performing on for the full game.

If we had have emptied the bench when we were 8 up and basically told the likes of Connolly, Dillon etc that they were playing for their place in the next round we probably wouldn't have been as complacent.

Tipperary next, that is going to be a challenge.

Moynagh took off because of the yellow I'd imagine but then why not take of McEnroe after his first yellow. Major issues on their kickouts. Were able to create mismatches too easy. Clarke coming on was bizarre. Never seen a leg with as much bandage as that.

Tipp is a tough draw but they are down a lot of players.

Advertisement