Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Moynagh took off because of the yellow I'd imagine but then why not take of McEnroe after his first yellow. Major issues on their kickouts. Were able to create mismatches too easy. Clarke coming on was bizarre. Never seen a leg with as much bandage as that.

Tipp is a tough draw but they are down a lot of players.

If it was the yellow card, it was a nonsense idea. Moynagh wasn't rattled and both players should have been talked to as it was a harmless bit of wrestling that they had left behind. And with half time looming, why not wait and see whether he needed to make that change.

Gerry Reilly looked like he pulled up with a bit of cramp and then signalled that he was okay...yet was subbed straight away...and then Clarke comes on like he's just come from the operating table!

While I like the idea that Mc Glennon isn't a passive manager, some times i wish he would hold off on rash subs. When Mossy got black carded I actually thought we were down to 14 men as I was sure he had used all his subs early (again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Tough enough draw today. I'm don't think you could have gotten Monaghan anyway given how the draw is set up so Tipp were the toughest team in it for ye. That said, it's at home (round 2 got home advantage last year anyway) and that should be enough to see you through.

You cannot get Monaghan in the 3rd round either according to Wiki...
    Qualifiers Round 3[edit]
    In the third round of the qualifiers winning teams from round 2A play against winning teams from round 2A and winning teams from round 2B play against winning teams from round 2B. Round 3 rules do not allow two teams that have played each other in a provincial match to meet again.

... so you'll be playing against a winner from the Carlow/Leitrim and Armagh/Westmeath games. Cavan should really be getting through to round 4 this year at least.

Round 4 isn't even too daunting should you get there. You'll be playing an Ulster final or Leinster final loser so most likely Down or Kildare.

A quarter final is the least you lads should be expecting this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Jayop wrote: »
    Tough enough draw today. I'm don't think you could have gotten Monaghan anyway given how the draw is set up so Tipp were the toughest team in it for ye. That said, it's at home (round 2 got home advantage last year anyway) and that should be enough to see you through.

... so you'll be playing against a winner from the Carlow/Leitrim and Armagh/Westmeath games. Cavan should really be getting through to round 4 this year at least.

Round 4 isn't even too daunting should you get there. You'll be playing an Ulster final or Leinster final loser so most likely Down or Kildare.

Can get Monaghan. The old draw couldn't but when it split to A and B you can.

Can get Monaghan. The old draw couldn't but when it split to A and B you can.

Yeah you're right. You could have gotten them in round 2, but you can't get them in round 3 by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

All Ireland SFC Rd 2B
    Cavan v Tipperary confirmed for Sat 8th July 2pm in Kingspan Breffni.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Jayop wrote: »

Cavan haven't had a worthwhile win in the championship since beating Derry in 2013 unless you count a couple of wins against Armagh who are managed by the worst inter county manager in Ireland. The current Cavan team is the weakest team since '13.
    Tipperary is a 50/50 game, Cavan would be underdogs against Kildare, Westmeath, Monaghan or Down. Getting to an All ireland QF will be a miracle imo.

tanko wrote: »
    Cavan haven't had a worthwhile win in the championship since beating Derry in 2013 unless you count a couple of wins against Armagh who are managed by the worst inter county manager in Ireland. The current Cavan team is the weakest team since '13.
    Tipperary is a 50/50 game, Cavan would be underdogs against Kildare, Westmeath, Monaghan or Down. Getting to an All ireland QF will be a miracle imo.

You can't play Monaghan again in the qualifiers. This was the only round in which you could.

It's also massively unlikely you will play Kildare given Monaghan can't play Down in R4 (assuming Tyrone win). Should you beat Tipp then it's a 50/50 whether you get Carlow or the winner of Westmeath/Armagh. I see no reason why you shouldn't win against any of those.

That would bring you to a R4 game against Down who just about survived in D2. One win against Monaghan doesn't make them world beaters anymore than had you snuck the win against Monaghan it would have made you world beaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Nice draw this morning a very winnable game. If true that next game will be against Wexford (unlikely but possible), Carlow/Leitrim or Wesmeath/Armagh then that gives a very winnable Round 3B. Round 4B is the last 12 of the championship is it not probably what management would have or should have been aiming for at the very least this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

If it was the yellow card, it was a nonsense idea. Moynagh wasn't rattled and both players should have been talked to as it was a harmless bit of wrestling that they had left behind. And with half time looming, why not wait and see whether he needed to make that change.

Gerry Reilly looked like he pulled up with a bit of cramp and then signalled that he was okay...yet was subbed straight away...and then Clarke comes on like he's just come from the operating table!

While I like the idea that Mc Glennon isn't a passive manager, some times i wish he would hold off on rash subs. When Mossy got black carded I actually thought we were down to 14 men as I was sure he had used all his subs early (again)

I was told (I didnt see the incident) that when Moynagh was on the ground, the Offaly player pulled the boot on him, and it should have been a red

All in all a decent win, and an entertaining game for the neutrals, but we were nowhere near good enough. We need a ruthless streak to put game s like this to bed....we will need to be a lot better on Sat week

Cavan (All-Ireland SFC v Tipperary): Raymond Galligan; Padraig Faulkner, Killian Clarke, Jason McLoughlin; James McEnroe, Niall Murray, Conor Moynagh; Liam Buchanan, Tomas Corr; Cian Mackey, Martin Reilly, Ciaran Brady; Caoimhin O’Reilly, Gearoid McKiernan, Dara McVeety.

Subs: James Farrelly, Fergal Reilly, Killian Brady, Sean Johnston, Niall Clerkin, Niall McDermott, Shane O'Rourke, Joe Dillon, Niall McKiernan, Ryan Connolly, Thomas Galligan.

A few changes.....Clerkin dropped after offering nothing in 2 games...Never seen Caoimhin play but going well in training apparently

• Advertisement

What age is Mackey now? Feels like he's been around for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

He's 30

Just gone 30....made his debut a week or so after his Minor team were knocked out in Clones v Meath

Hard to know what to say about that shambles. An embarrasing second half performance, no gameplan and a lot of the players didn't look too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Down to the players,can't keep blaming the manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

soap1978 wrote:
    Down to the players,can't keep blaming the manager

I think you can when there seems to be no plan A plan B or plan C ..
    Mcgleenan is a bluffer and has been found out .

Get him out now or we'll be going into championship next year as a division 3 side

With the exception of a couple of good league results we've gone backwards and I can't imagine confidence in him within the squad will be high

Its not the defeats that kill us but the bloody hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

How many players has he taken off before half time this year? Took Moynagh off last week against Offaly because he was on a yellow. Just wait till half time. Other players starting some games and not in the 26 man panel the next day. Bringing players on and taking them off again. Madden against Dublin. McDermott yesterday.

Poor year overall. UUJ loss in the McKenna Cup the start of many poor performances. Though some players on the Cavan team are over rated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mattie seems like a bluffer.
    What did he do to try and change things in the second half yesterday? Nothing it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jemser0410

Bluffer isn't the word. I've been reading this board for years and never felt the need to join before but after Saturday.....

I see a lot of vitriol aimed at the players but I don't think they are to blame. Some of them have been treated shockingly all year.

For example, Ciaran Brady, a lad who I think hasn't been given a fair chance, is started at half forward, when he's a half back, and then hauled off after 12 minutes. Then Niall McDermott who was brought on suffers the indignity of being brought off when the forwards clearly weren't the problem.

Mattie's answer to us not being able to get the ball out of our own half is to start changing the forwards. Good man Mattie.

Now please god head back to Tyrone or Scotstown or wherever you like. 2 wins in ten games, one of them against Offaly, says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

Saturday was a dreadful dreadful day. We have a team that is completely bereft of character (with the solitary exception of Cian Mackey who was excellent). There are no leaders on that team, really a bunch of sheep who are looking around heavy legged waiting for someone else to win the game for them.
    Gearoid McKiernan is everything that is wrong with this team, plenty of talent, plenty of hype but so little substance. So often he simply does not show up in championship games, he was bullied so easily in that second half off the ball time and time again. For a lad his size, how many times did he win primary possession. Any time he got the ball he ran laterally across the defence posing no threat at all. When things went down hill what did he do? nothing, he cowed and hid. Its a shame to say it but he is put up as a leader of this team and unfortunately he is not. On any other division 1 team and a heck of a lot more beneath that he is a lad you would start at a wing half forward and hope he gets some lucky breaks to get into a game because he is not going to go looking for it himself.

I know you shouldn't read too much into one thing but Killian Clarkes goading of the Tipp free taker at the start of the second half smacks of pure classless behaviour, terrible sportsmanship and embarrasing. I was delighted the Tipp lad nailed the free kick and told Clarke to STFU afterwards, Clarke hid for the next 20 mins before coming out a bit when the game was already lost. Tipp made the simple change of pushing up on our kickout and they crushed us. Cavan lads stopped running, stopped making space, paralysed against an average Tipp team

One thing of Note, Michael Quinlaven scored one of the best points in Breffni Park, class act. Took the ball from 45, beat two players and slotted it showing incredible class, balance and poise. A footballer we have not come close to producing since... gees, we are talking 2 decades at this point.

Anyways, I am not hopeful for this generation. They have had any natural football instincts coached out of them. Its all mindless handpassing, working a system which leaves us painfully exposed to turning the ball over. We are without any character as a team, any passion. How many times did they break a ball that was there for the catching? Buchanan, Galligan... Catch the bloody thing, these guys have had natural instincts coached out of them. And even if the manager is an oaf, stop delegating responsibility, you are not robots, catch the bloody thing when it is there to be caught, kick your score when it is there to be kicked. It was so bloody disappointing to watch, how little they cared. Second half with the wind, our kickout and there was zero movement, like watching a garden full of statues. Blame all the management you want but its the players, they are the ones who lost on saturday. Time to cut the bull****

• Advertisement

Woeful from start to finish, 6 points up at HT and lucky to be there as we coughed up 2 great goal chances that , luckily, they ballsed up.

No organisation or cop on either on the field, or on the line.

We have one of the best forwards in Ulster and he has to hover around midfield because headless idiots like McLoughlin and Clarke bomb on and he has to cover them......at one stage he had the ball on Tipps 45m line and all that was behind him was Faulkner marking Sweeney, and Niall Murray.

Too many times in big games, the likes of Gearoid disappear. McVeety was annonymous, but in his defence he was being played as an inside forward, when his best attributes are as a half back breaking.

McGlennan is a spoofer....I have heard from a few sources that he is a dictator, and that at times its a waste of time having a backroom team, as they are not consulted. There are no signs of progression, and for me he has to go, but The County Board wont sack him.....I will bet any money that a) he will stay, and b) wont be anywhere near Club Championship games when it starts.

Im led to believe that Brady and Buchanon were injured btw

It looked like Ciaran brady hurt himself in the tackle where he got booked, he could barely run after that and was put into the forwards to try and run it off but couldn't.
    The lack of basic skills of the cavan players is depressing, where did this crack of pulling out of 50/50 tackles come from and trying to field a ball with one hand.
    Killian Clarkes antics for the Tipp free kick were embarrasing, i was glad that kick went over and he's supposed to be the captain.
    It's obvious that McGleenan is a bull$hit artist, he hasn't a clue what he's at, why was a player like Ray Cullivan dropped off the panel, surely he's worth his place on that team.
    Roscommon showed how football should be played yesterday, Cavan could learn a lot from them.

Agree with a lot of the points here. Unfortunately, we were leaderless but, what I can't understand, is the level of turnover we still continue to have each year. For example, I know Rory Dunne suffered a bad injury last year but where was he come the championship this year? He was around during the league and I would see him as one of our best players. We're talking about a man who got man of the match in the 2013 All Ireland quarter final vs Kerry and who can play virtually anywhere. He's our standout full back.

Joshua Hayes, Argue, Jack Brady - just a few of the names that instantly come to mind that aren't there anymore. Not too mention others like Damien Barkey who deserve a chance. Barkey was the best back I saw in the club championship last year.

Despite the comments, I still think there's enough talent there to put us at least in the top 12 in the country. We wouldn't have achieved promotion from a very tough Division 2 last year otherwise.

I just hope to god Mackey stays on for a bit yet because he's badly needed. I also wish someone would tell Martin Reilly that he's well fit to kick a score and should be more worried about getting into the opposition half than playing this quarter back role he seems to want to take up.

At this stage we've too many lads that are half forwards and half backs and not enough players in dedicated roles.

If McGleenan stays, I won't watch a Cavan game next year, even on TV. It's not the players who were changing the forward line when we couldn't get the bloody ball out of our own half. Its not the players who left McKiernan at midfield when he couldn't win a bloody ball. It's not the players who were tactically outclassed by the simple tactic of pushing up on our kick outs.

The likes of Tipp and Roscommon had good batches of players coming through so they got top managers. I think Terry did a good job but he stepped aside because these lads needed someone to bring them to the next level. Instead of getting a Liam Kerins or Kevin McStay, our county board delivered Mattie the bluffer McGleenan. Well done lads.

Cavan town is an hour and a half, if even that, from Dublin. We're an hour's drive from a wealth of experienced footballing knowledge in Tyrone and Armagh. Surely we should be able to attract a top, top manager for these lads, something that they deserve.

Not sure why the Co board are to blame. It came down to Jack Sheedy, Banty and McGleenan. Those were the names who declared interest. Stellar names. Sheedy who was awful with Longford. Banty who hates Cavan but wanted the job, and McGleenan.

They approached Pat Gilroy, Pillar Caffrey, Paul Curran, James Horan, Tony McEntee, Anthony Cunningham. None were interested in the Cavan job. That's where Cavan is.

rrs wrote: »
    Not sure why the Co board are to blame. It came down to Jack Sheedy, Banty and McGleenan. Those were the names who declared interest. Stellar names. Sheedy who was awful with Longford. Banty who hates Cavan but wanted the job, and McGleenan.

They approached Pat Gilroy, Pillar Caffrey, Paul Curran, James Horan, Tony McEntee, Anthony Cunningham. None were interested in the Cavan job. That's where Cavan is.

How do we know that....media leaks?

How much were they offered, relative to what other County managers are on?

If for example Horan was getting 50k as Mayo manager, and Cavan offered 20k, while Sky were paying him 50k, why would he take the Cavan job.

McEntee and Curran have no intercounty managerial experience (to the best of my knowledge)

Cunningham I believe was holding out for another job, and we were the back up (if the media is to be believed)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The up and coming teams will get nowhere with bluffer managers.
    You need the experience of managers who have won something or at least got to an All Ireland Final. Someone who knows what it takes. Someone who the young players look up to and will buy into.

How do we know that....media leaks?

How much were they offered, relative to what other County managers are on?

If for example Horan was getting 50k as Mayo manager, and Cavan offered 20k, while Sky were paying him 50k, why would he take the Cavan job.

McEntee and Curran have no intercounty managerial experience (to the best of my knowledge)

Cunningham I believe was holding out for another job, and we were the back up (if the media is to be believed)

Horan is busy in his own work , plus sky and the travel involved a couple of times a week to Cavan. Think he only has interested in Managing Mayo anyway.

Pat Gilroy was approached. He wouldn't have the time for it either. He is based in London a lot on work. Not sure about Caffrey. He has Cavan connections ,maybe work related too.

McEntee hasn't managed anyone Couny team but is Assistant to Rochford.
    It wouldn't have been totally alien to him.

Curran has no County management experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Its hard to know where we go from here. McGleenan will be given next year and seeing as we will be in Division 2 with sides similar in ability to us,we will be expected to more than hold our own there and challenge for promotion.
    I started doubting McGleenan after a couple of rounds of the league,i have of issues with what he has done
    • Putting Conor Madden on,then taking him off against Dublin,destroying his confidence.
    • Taking Niall McKiernan off after 20 minutes against Monaghan when one ball went into him in the full forward line against quality defenders,which he won.
    • Some sort of zonal defensive bollox,when it was anything but defensive and any quality teams that we played ran straight through us.
    • Colm Smith of Cootehill is/was on the panel and didn't get one minute of national league action, and has been pretty much unplayable in the ACFL in a number of games. He's the physically strongest footballer in Cavan by a country mile,and we were crying out for another option in the FF line.
    I hope Mattie proves me wrong next year,but i have a bad feeling we are going to be looking for a manager this time next year after another poor year.

Hammar wrote: »
    Its hard to know where we go from here. McGleenan will be given next year and seeing as we will be in Division 2 with sides similar in ability to us,we will be expected to more than hold our own there and challenge for promotion.
    I started doubting McGleenan after a couple of rounds of the league,i have of issues with what he has done
    • Putting Conor Madden on,then taking him off against Dublin,destroying his confidence.
    • Taking Niall McKiernan off after 20 minutes against Monaghan when one ball went into him in the full forward line against quality defenders,which he won.
    • Some sort of zonal defensive bollox,when it was anything but defensive and any quality teams that we played ran straight through us.
    • Colm Smith of Cootehill is/was on the panel and didn't get one minute of national league action, and has been pretty much unplayable in the ACFL in a number of games. He's the physically strongest footballer in Cavan by a country mile,and we were crying out for another option in the FF line.
    I hope Mattie proves me wrong next year,but i have a bad feeling we are going to be looking for a manager this time next year after another poor year.

I wasn't aware Smith was in the panel. Probably the best and most consistent forward in the county for me. I had often asked why he wasn't in there and was told he wouldn't commit. If he was in and didn't get a run, that is inexcusable IMO.

Re the list of names above, I'd be very skeptical. Sounds like idle pub talk to me. Cunningham is the only one I saw the papers mention and he's a hurling man so not surprising that he was holding out.

It mightn't be a popular opinion but I'd have no problem with Justin McNulty from Armagh. Look how well Laois did under him compared to now. He is dedicated, knows the Ulster game and made the best of a limited bunch of players. Unfortunately, he's a politician now.

The unfortunate thing is I see more players walking away from the panel. McGleenan's biggest bluff was saying he'd play attacking football. We've had more of the same.

• Advertisement

For me attacking football wasnt the problem.....we attacked in numbers and defended in numbers but players never looked like they knew what they were doing......Clarke and McLoughlin bombing on like headless chickens when at times Mackey had to hover around mf because there was no space to run into, or not space for forwards to run into because there was so many forward.

At one stage in the first half Mackey had the ball between half way and the Tipp 45.......all that was behind him ws Niall Murray, Faulkner Galligan and their corner forward.

The only positive out of that game was Caoimhin.....i thought he done very well

Advertisement