Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

Jemser0410 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware Smith was in the panel. Probably the best and most consistent forward in the county for me. I had often asked why he wasn't in there and was told he wouldn't commit. If he was in and didn't get a run, that is inexcusable IMO.

Re the list of names above, I'd be very skeptical. Sounds like idle pub talk to me. Cunningham is the only one I saw the papers mention and he's a hurling man so not surprising that he was holding out.

It mightn't be a popular opinion but I'd have no problem with Justin McNulty from Armagh. Look how well Laois did under him compared to now. He is dedicated, knows the Ulster game and made the best of a limited bunch of players. Unfortunately, he's a politician now.

The unfortunate thing is I see more players walking away from the panel. McGleenan's biggest bluff was saying he'd play attacking football. We've had more of the same.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi9tPrVpYLVAhUqL8AKHScdAogQFggoMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishnews.com%2Fsport%2Fgaafootball%2F2016%2F10%2F05%2Fnews%2Ftony-mcentee-rules-himself-out-of-cavan-management-switch-720858%2F&usg=AFQjCNHDv71aJSsyC1G_zYE9BfmZSPd_zg

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjdvIfvpYLVAhUrKcAKHe3gDz0QFgghMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishnews.com%2Fsport%2Fgaafootball%2F2016%2F08%2F30%2Fnews%2Fkeith-barr-in-frame-for-cavan-job-as-gilroy-horan-and-curran-opt-out-672660%2F&usg=AFQjCNGcA4gBCWhJzP7734EEBT5ziyAPTg

All the names weren't mentioned in the Media

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

rrs wrote: »
    Not sure why the Co board are to blame. It came down to Jack Sheedy, Banty and McGleenan. Those were the names who declared interest. Stellar names. Sheedy who was awful with Longford. Banty who hates Cavan but wanted the job, and McGleenan.

They approached Pat Gilroy, Pillar Caffrey, Paul Curran, James Horan, Tony McEntee, Anthony Cunningham. None were interested in the Cavan job. That's where Cavan is.

I'd be surprised if the only reason he didn't was money. Clann here in Ros brought him in and although he lucked into the county title his first season it was close to being a disaster in every other way possible. Unless you have a very big cheque none of those names would take any job, to be honest. You should be looking for an undervalued candidate, a Pete McGrath or Liam Keirns in 2016 type. John Evans for all his flaws would not be a bad choice because he at least can motivate lads and bring them on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jemser0410

rrs wrote: »

All the names weren't mentioned in the Media

I'd be interested in seeing how many were actually in the frame and how much is idle paper talk.

Reading the Cel doesn't augur much hope for how McGleenan could be left in the job. He refuses to describe the year as disappointing which is just nonsensical.

His decisions all year have been poor. Putting players on and pulling them back off. Young Clerkin starting countless league games with no scores to show for it. And in the end flabbergasted by a team pushing up on our kick outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

20 years ago yesterday, a 28 year wait was bridged with Cavan winning Ulster.
    Thats 1 major title in 48 years. Depressing.

Here the match report from the Irish times the next day ironically titled "Cavan end wilderness years"
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/cavan-end-wilderness-years-1.90644

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Here the match report from the Irish times the next day ironically titled "Cavan end wilderness years"
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/cavan-end-wilderness-years-1.90644

Is that journalist really the best source you could find?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Any venue for the minor quarter final yet ?

How we could do with a Jason or Larry Reilly now. I remember in the 2001 Ulster final Spillane waxing lyrical about how Cavan were dangerous because they had six forwards playing who were all capable of providing scores.

A big difference to now when we're lucky if we've two forwards, with our half forward line being made up of players should be in the half back line most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Eoin Maguire, the S & C coach, has left Matties backroom team

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Any venue for the minor quarter final yet ?

Carrick

Eoin Maguire, the S & C coach, has left Matties backroom team

Think this is the first of many changes. Conditioning was a weak point all year with a lot of hamstring injuries.

• Advertisement

Think this is the first of many changes. Conditioning was a weak point all year with a lot of hamstring injuries.

Ive been lead to believe that Mattie didnt listen to the likes of S&C and stats as much as he should have

Apparently, the GPS from training on the Sat and midweek before the Tipp match were the equivalent of match levels of error.....thats crazy if true......no wonder they looked knackered in the second half. Maguire wasnt happy, but wasnt listened to.

Re Hamstrings, the only one I can think off over the summer was Gerry Smith in the Offaly game.

Anyway, Club Champo starts this weekend......Gaels and Ramor will be hard stopped in Senior......no idea re Intermediate and Junior

How we could do with a Jason or Larry Reilly now. I remember in the 2001 Ulster final Spillane waxing lyrical about how Cavan were dangerous because they had six forwards playing who were all capable of providing scores.

A big difference to now when we're lucky if we've two forwards, with our half forward line being made up of players should be in the half back line most of the time

So do we play our half backs with 10-12 on their backs, and half forwards 5-7 to fool the stats?

Ive been lead to believe that Mattie didnt listen to the likes of S&C and stats as much as he should have

Apparently, the GPS from training on the Sat and midweek before the Tipp match were the equivalent of match levels of error.....thats crazy if true......no wonder they looked knackered in the second half. Maguire wasnt happy, but wasnt listened to.

Re Hamstrings, the only one I can think off over the summer was Gerry Smith in the Offaly game.

Anyway, Club Champo starts this weekend......Gaels and Ramor will be hard stopped in Senior......no idea re Intermediate and Junior

Heard from one of players S and C was better with his club. McVeety Martin Reilly all had hamstring issues among others. They had to cancel a round of club games because of these injuries.

Not sure on stats but Mattie took of a player in McKenna cup in first half who had scored two points because of stats.

Senior Championship has to be Gaels.

And what's happened the minors has being some joke. Players and some of management team walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

And what's happened the minors has being some joke. Players and some of management team walking.

What has happened there?

tanko wrote: »
    What has happened there?

Big row in camp over way manager treating players and trainer an selectors walked with some players. Jack Brady is now trainer.

Heard from one of players S and C was better with his club. McVeety Martin Reilly all had hamstring issues among others. They had to cancel a round of club games because of these injuries.

Not sure on stats but Mattie took of a player in McKenna cup in first half who had scored two points because of stats.

Senior Championship has to be Gaels.

I have heard that players reckon Maguire is top class but Mattie ignores his advice. He wasn't happy for instance with the level of training in the week before the Tipp match (too intense and sapping) but McGleenan over ruled him. Some players will find it hard to go back next year by all accounts. The manager makes the calls. There was no issues under Hyland with S and C.

Haven't heard anything re the Minors but I've been told that, in general, the manager is not a pleasant person

So do we play our half backs with 10-12 on their backs, and half forwards 5-7 to fool the stats?

Well the likes of Ciaran Brady and Gerry Smith have been starting named as half forwards in games and they are not half forwards. For example, I was at the Lavey Cootehill game in Breffni last night and Gerry Smith was a half back which is where he always starts for his club.

Speaking of which, it beggars belief that Colm Smith isn't starting for Cavan. He had to come out the pitch to get the ball but even from distance he was deadly. Capable of just turning and shooting without even looking.

Shane Tierney also came on for Lavey for a brief few minutes before he got a black card. I don't think he's a county standard player but, for the few minutes he was on the pitch, he won two frees that were converted, took one shot which was over the back of his head that dropped short but which he managed to get on target and scored a point.

Watching those two lads, you'd wonder why some of the forwards we have are in the panel at all.
    Big row in camp over way manager treating players and trainer an selectors walked with some players. Jack Brady is now trainer.

I don't like talking about people personally but my understanding is that manager also had issues regarding treatment of players at club level previously.

For example, he told some county players that they were expected to also attend club training if at county training! There was a big falling out at one club when one player asked him in an open meeting if his own son was expected to do the same with Ramor!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Great win for the Cavan minors over Galway, some good news for Cavan GAA at last. Kerry in the semi, anyone know when that will be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

tanko wrote: »
    Great win for the Cavan minors over Galway, some good news for Cavan GAA at last. Kerry in the semi, anyone know when that will be played?

20th aug before the Kerry vs Mayo or Roscommon senior game

• Advertisement

Very little talk about the club junior, intermediate and senior championships here which is disappointing. As a Ballyjamesduff man, our lads were disappointing on Friday evening considering I wouldn't expect to see Lavey in the final shake up despite their run to the semi final last year.

One things for sure. Ray Cullivan marked himself out as yet another man who should be in the county panel. I've never seen catches like it. With the mark introduced, he was winning a free with pretty much every kick out from either team.

Our own Cormac Daly who I'd highly rate was taken off him.

Not sure Keoghan and Forde will work for us. We looked disjointed. Far too much chopping and changing of players and their positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Well done to the minors on Saturday . here's hoping the can be competitive against a strong Kerry team

Very little talk about the club junior, intermediate and senior championships here which is disappointing. As a Ballyjamesduff man, our lads were disappointing on Friday evening considering I wouldn't expect to see Lavey in the final shake up despite their run to the semi final last year.

One things for sure. Ray Cullivan marked himself out as yet another man who should be in the county panel. I've never seen catches like it. With the mark introduced, he was winning a free with pretty much every kick out from either team.

Our own Cormac Daly who I'd highly rate was taken off him.

Not sure Keoghan and Forde will work for us. We looked disjointed. Far too much chopping and changing of players and their positions.

If Jimmy Higgins is on that backroom team, then Id give him a big say.....very knowledgeable football man

Castlerahan were poor.....management worse. Cullivan bullied Daly, so instead of doubling up on Cullivan, they move Daly full forward.....yeah he got a fgaol, but I would have scored it after Mackey ran through and put it on a plate for him.

Daly and Pauric Smith the wing back who was on him in the second half, should have doulble up on Cullivan

Problem with Cullivan is he can be a tad headless, and doesnt look mobile enough for County football......but the best fielder of a ball in the Senior Championship, and strong as an ox

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

http://www.tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=5535337832001&teideal=GAA 2017 &series=GAA 2017&dlft=NaN

Highlights of the minor's victory. Maddens final sore is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Senior - Gaels
    Intermediate - Ballyhaise
    Junior - Wide open, as many as 6 teams could win it

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

What are people making of the club championships? I've seen a few games, all senior and there have been some good games. The new format certainly has brought a freshness to the championship, albeit there is a degree of luck as to how easy/hard some teams have it.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    What are people making of the club championships? I've seen a few games, all senior and there have been some good games. The new format certainly has brought a freshness to the championship, albeit there is a degree of luck as to how easy/hard some teams have it.

I like the format. Being some great games. Arva being so unlucky regards draw. Intermediate and Junior looks very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Looks like a good system,the luck of the draw is probably more important. As pointed out,Arva very unlucky,Lavey thru with 3 draws+a win,Castlerahan7/8 points but not impressive. It's the Gaels to lose,but there will be one big shock. Score difference should determine all positions,cootehill+ ballinagh drawing will put everything back a week

Yevon wrote: »
    Niall Lynch and the U21 management have stepped down. A poor reign results wise. Anyone know who's in the frame to take the position?

I would hope that someone somewhere in Cavan is begging Terry Hyland to take the post.

Jimmy Higgins would be a good appointment.

• Advertisement

Looks like a good system,the luck of the draw is probably more important. As pointed out,Arva very unlucky,Lavey thru with 3 draws+a win,Castlerahan7/8 points but not impressive. It's the Gaels to lose,but there will be one big shock. Score difference should determine all positions,cootehill+ ballinagh drawing will put everything back a week

It should but can't use score difference to eliminate a team if they haven't all played the same teams. What mighthappen then are appeals to Ulster.

Advertisement