Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Most competitive senior championship in a long time ...
    I think the co.board deserve credit for the format of it .. Every team tested who will win it now
    I fancy Castlerahan

Most competitive senior championship in a long time ...
    I think the co.board deserve credit for the format of it .. Every team tested who will win it now
    I fancy Castlerahan

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

hope shercock win

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

And then there were two. Hard to see past Cavan Gaels but Castlerahan were defensively excellent today.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

And then there were two. Hard to see past Cavan Gaels but Castlerahan were defensively excellent today.
    Castlerahan r like the mayo of cavan football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Very quiet here,considering the final is tomorrow,Gaels rightfully odds on favorite,but Castlerahan well capable of beating them,poor quality championship overall,as usual

Very quiet here,considering the final is tomorrow,Gaels rightfully odds on favorite,but Castlerahan well capable of beating them,poor quality championship overall,as usual

Semis were poor but a lot of great football in group games and quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Poor quality final. Gaels deserved winners. Murray done well on Mackey and Castlerahan struggled. A lot of off the ball stuff. I've been told Jelly threw a punch or 2, didn't see it but he embarrassed me when he fell to the floor a few times looking to get lads carded. He got MOTM for kicking 5 points but it was more for his achievements to date rather then being the best player on the field. He done in at ht and Gerry seen it and just told him to get up.

I don't know who started the melee just before the start of the second half but it continued on in the second half and facial with all the cards near the end.

It seems the officials missed a lot as did the Castlerahan management.

Mackey inside wasn't working so he should have been moved out. On another day that Paul Smith shot would have gone under the bar. Pen miss was bad for Castlerahan but I feel they turned the ball over too much in the middle third. I can't understand how the keeper didn't get a black card for the foul.

As for the Gaels.....streetwise and clinical. As I said I wasn't a fan of Johnstons behaviour but they did what they had to do and punished the mistakes and deserved the win. Dunnes point at the end was exceptional. They defended well and we're patient in possession and took their scores well.

Had Gerry given more cards early doors it may have improved the quality of the game.

Disappointing game but the best team won. Castlerahan didn't make changes early enough and although defensively sound, the missed chances and turnovers cost them.

I don't know who the Gaels get in Ulster but they won't be a match for the big guns like Slaughneil Kilcar etc

Kevin Downes named as new under 20 manager . Best of luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The Football League Fixtures have been released, or at least the Sun reckons they know what they are !
    Only Clare, Cork (in redeveloped Paric Ui Caoimh) and Roscommon away, with other 4 at home.

NFL DIVISION 2
    Round 1: Sunday January 28th: Clare v Cavan
    Round 2: Saturday, February 3rd: Cavan v Louth
    Round 3: Saturday, February 10: Cavan v Meath
    Round 4: Sunday, February 25th: Cork v Cavan
    Round 5: Saturday, March 3rd: Cavan v Down
    Round 6: Saturday, Sunday, March 18th: Roscommon v Cavan
    Round 7: Sunday, March 25th: Cavan v Tipperary

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/1661873/dublin-double-header-to-kick-things-off-as-national-hurling-and-football-league-2018-fixtures-revealed/

• Advertisement

NFL DIVISION 2 Round 1: Sunday January 28th: Clare v Cavan Round 2: Saturday, February 3rd: Cavan v Louth Round 3: Saturday, February 10: Cavan v Meath Round 4: Sunday, February 25th: Cork v Cavan Round 5: Saturday, March 3rd: Cavan v Down Round 6: Saturday, Sunday, March 18th: Roscommon v Cavan Round 7: Sunday, March 25th: Cavan v Tipperary

Couple of nice road trips apart the feckin Hyde ... I hate that place 😂😂

Good luck to Cavan Gaels tomorrow .
    Heres hoping for a good performance and who knows what might happen .

Cavan football could really do with a win

Congrats to St Pats Cavan who won the Rannafast final last Saturday (Ulster Colleges A Competition, next age level below McRory), after winning it last in 2012.
    http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2017/11/27/news/st-patrick-s-cavan-show-they-character-to-claim-rannafast-crown-1197653/

In the McRory, St Pats are in the "playoffs" on Saturday against St Marys of Belfast to progress to the quarter finals, after Pats Maghera came first in the group to take the automatic quarter final slot.
    http://www.danskebankulsterschoolsgaa.com/competitions/macrory-mccormack-cup-1718/

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Congrats to St Pats Cavan who won the Rannafast final last Saturday (Ulster Colleges A Competition, next age level below McRory), after winning it last in 2012.
    http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2017/11/27/news/st-patrick-s-cavan-show-they-character-to-claim-rannafast-crown-1197653/

In the McRory, St Pats are in the "playoffs" on Saturday against St Marys of Belfast to progress to the quarter finals, after Pats Maghera came first in the group to take the automatic quarter final slot.
    http://www.danskebankulsterschoolsgaa.com/competitions/macrory-mccormack-cup-1718/

And in the Cor na nOg they're in the final, next Saturday I think. Great to seem them competing at the top table across various grades.

St pats beat St Mary’s CBS 2-12 to 1-4 in the Mc Rory so are into the quarter finals after Christmas if I read it right.

Corn na nog final between St pats and Pats maghera was called off due to weather.
    https://twitter.com/ulsterschools/status/939071056458997760

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    And in the Cor na nOg they're in the final, next Saturday I think. Great to seem them competing at the top table across various grades.
    Did Maghera not hammer the senior team?

Did Maghera not hammer the senior team?
    that was the league stages.
    Its now knockout.

St pats beat St Mary’s CBS 2-12 to 1-4 in the Mc Rory so are into the quarter finals after Christmas if I read it right.

Corn na nog final between St pats and Pats maghera was called off due to weather.
    https://twitter.com/ulsterschools/status/939071056458997760

They play St. Michaels of Enniskillen and winner into QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

anyone brave the conditions and make it to the game? Listened in on Northern Sound. Pratically a brand new panel tried out and naturally quite disjointed by the sounds of it.

Personally I would prefer new players to get a run out now to give us a sense of who might step up in the league- and ideally hit the ground running against Clare.

anyone brave the conditions and make it to the game? Listened in on Northern Sound. Pratically a brand new panel tried out and naturally quite disjointed by the sounds of it.

Personally I would prefer new players to get a run out now to give us a sense of who might step up in the league- and ideally hit the ground running against Clare.

Yeah was at it. Poor in first half. Marys cut us open and should have had at least one or two goals. Faulkner and Thomas Galligan around the middle for second half helped us get a grip coupled with Ray Galligan's excellent kick outs. Madden got MOTM but Jason or Niall McKiernan could have. Full forward line didn't function and long range shooting helped us win. David Philips was solid and Kennedy looked very mobile. Oisin Kiernan kept Meyler quiet enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Yeah was at it. Poor in first half. Marys cut us open and should have had at least one or two goals. Faulkner and Thomas Galligan around the middle for second half helped us get a grip coupled with Ray Galligan's excellent kick outs. Madden got MOTM but Jason or Niall McKiernan could have. Full forward line didn't function and long range shooting helped us win. David Philips was solid and Kennedy looked very mobile. Oisin Kiernan kept Meyler quiet enough.

Cheers Thunderbirds.

I missed the first five minutes on the We are Cavan stream (not Northern Sound as stated above)- what happened to David Brady?

Cheers Thunderbirds.

I missed the first five minutes on the We are Cavan stream (not Northern Sound as stated above)- what happened to David Brady?

He caught throw up and was driving forward. Got a slap and had to go of with facial injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭rrs

Good to see Conor Bradley involved with the panel. Quality footballer. Niall McKiernan if given a run can make an impact. He wasn't given a fair chance last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

rrs wrote: »
    Good to see Conor Bradley involved with the panel. Quality footballer. Niall McKiernan if given a run can make an impact. He wasn't given a fair chance last year.
    What age is Niall Mc Kiernan please?
    Was he on the panel a few years ago or is that a different NMcK?

He was on the Senior panel around 2011 for championship..was u21 in 2012 but was dropped from the panel for missing training. 27 this year.

He was on the Senior panel around 2011 for championship..was u21 in 2012 but was dropped from the panel for missing training. 27 this year.

He was also on it last year at start of year. Played league game in Monaghan.

Yeah,I said he wasn't given a fair chance above last year. That would have been his first year on the senior panel in a few years. Hopefully the years training will have brought him on.

Mcgleenan was too quick subbing him off against Monaghan in league. Barely featured after that, 10 minutes up in Omagh was all.

Yeah,I said he wasn't given a fair chance above last year. That would have been his first year on the senior panel in a few years. Hopefully the years training will have brought him on.

Mcgleenan was too quick subbing him off against Monaghan in league. Barely featured after that, 10 minutes up in Omagh was all.

Mattie was too quick full stop last year with subs then last night brought Moynagh and Daly on a game on 70 mins.

He was, no surprise to see Joe Dillon and a few others not committing this year.

• Advertisement

But even lads not harshly treated by subbing gone. Mackey, Gerry Smith, McDermot, Fergal Reilly and the older lads. It's a huge dropout rate way above norm.

Advertisement