Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭rrs

Mackey definitely gone? Paul fitz said he was training in the Celt last week

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

rrs wrote: »
    Mackey definitely gone? Paul fitz said he was training in the Celt last week

As far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

No surprise really when the backroom staff from last year are all gone as well.....one could suspect its the manager thats the problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Judging by the score V Tyrone and i know its a very experimental line up ....it doesn't look like we have a lot to look forward to this year

A tough division 2 will show what Mattie and the boys are made of

Could have been worse, they hit the cross bar a couple of times and Farrelly made some good saves. Tough task to play Tyrone at full strength , nevermind when its when a very experimental team against theirs with most of the key players playing.

17 days before Clare. Clare are a good outfit, Cavan will need to wise up or will be in a Relegation dog fight.

• Advertisement

Biggest worry is to see no sign of a gameplan or tactics this close to league. Kennedy done well and McIntyre. They have a bit of drive. Ciaran Brady our best player by mile but left with too much to do. Thought Enda Flanagan done well in all the different positions he moved.

The main fella Mattie McGleenan has as selector and trainer - Lorcan Martin, isn't a Cavan man either. He is the only member of last years backroom team still there.

Need people familiar with Cavan football. Too much player turnover from one year to the next. Never make progress that way. Tyrone and these counties have settled squads.

When Cavan reached the quarter finals in 2013, givney and Keating were big players. They haven't played much county football since. Rory Dunne was brilliant that year too and Mackey . None on panel now. Martin Dunne decent too, to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭celt262

Going forward it is not looking good for the year.

Lots of players not committing for what ever reason possibly due to the manager who i don't think has a clue what he is at.

The Cavan Junior team from a few years ago would have been stronger than whats there at the moment.

The first game of the league V Clare has been refixed to Saturday at 2pm ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Its going to be tough going this year I think. Too many lads studying/working away to commit. I commute from Virginia to Dublin daily and the last thing I would be thinking about at 8 Oclocl on a wet evening is kicking ball.

Fair play to the lads who do commit but we will get nowhere without the best players in the county all playing.

It could be division 3 next year and out by Mid June all together. Hopefully I am wrong

• Advertisement

No surprise really when the backroom staff from last year are all gone as well.....one could suspect its the manager thats the problem....

Mackey back in. Be a while till match fit. Good few of McKenna team gone and big names back in. Who be match fit Saturday is anyone's guess. We'll know when team announced.

Mackey back in. Be a while till match fit. Good few of McKenna team gone and big names back in. Who be match fit Saturday is anyone's guess. We'll know when team announced.

Big names who don't do the business on the field.

Yevon wrote: »
    Such as?

All them apart from Mackey last year were poor.

So McVeety for example didn't have a good year last year?

If there's a better line to sum up the attitude of the typical analysis of a lazy Cavan supporter than "Big names who don't do the business on the field" then i've yet to see it.

McVeety did ok injury didn't help his cause.

Do you think that there are other "big names" that stood out last year or rolled up their sleeves and rallied the team and when things were not going well on the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Why was Clarke removed as captain

He might just focus on the football a bit more. No need on interviews saying Cavan had as good as footballers as Dublin, after Cavan were promoted from Division 2.

celt262 wrote: »
    McVeety did ok injury didn't help his cause.

Do you think that there are other "big names" that stood out last year or rolled up their sleeves and rallied the team and when things were not going well on the field?

McVeety was the victim of McGleenan, hes attacking half back as far as Im concerned, and a damn good one at that. Mattie, God love him, played him as a FF at one stage, and he done well, and pretty much played him too far forward.

As for Clarke......I dont rate him as highly as many....hes a tremendous athlete, but his skill level and decision making at times is poor. McVeety a much better team captain for me

As for Clarke......I dont rate him as highly as many....hes a tremendous athlete, but his skill level and decision making at times is poor. McVeety a much better team captain for me

He should be left in the full back line.

McVeety has played a lot of Club football as a forward. Under age with Crosserlough he was a corner forward
    Obviously different to county football but playing inside is nothing new to him.

1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
    2. Dónal Monahan (Drumlane)
    3. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
    4. David Phillips (Gowna)
    5. Darragh Kennedy (Killygarry)
    6. Ciaran Brady (Arvagh)
    7. Oisin Kiernan (Castlerahan)
    8. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    9. Jack Wharton (Cornafean)
    10. Enda Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    11. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
    12. David Brady (Ballyhaise)
    13. Caoimhin O’Reilly (Butlersbridge)
    14. Bryan Magee (Cuchulainns)
    15. Adrian Cole (Ramor United)

16. James Farrelly (Kingscourt)
    17. Conor Brady (Gowna)
    18. Conor Bradley (Ramor United)
    19. Sean McCormack (Ballyhaise)
    20. Niall Clerkin (Shercock)
    21. Ryan Connolly (Drumlane)
    22. Niall McKiernan (Lacken)
    23. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    24. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
    25. Conor Madden (Gowna)
    26. Paul Gilcreest (Lavey)
    27. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
    28. Thomas Galligan (Lacken)

10 debutants and lots of newbies on bench. Not one player from county champions. Madness.

• Advertisement

No harm but with that line up i'd expect us to get a fair drubbing from Clare

Heres hoping I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

cavan4sam wrote: »
    No harm but with that line up i'd expect us to get a fair drubbing from Clare

Heres hoping I'm wrong

It’s a handy Clare side. It’s not just that we might get beat, imagine the morale after a tanking in a Ennis? Willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but hard to be enthusiastic for this campaign

I relay hope I’m proved wrong and that the young lads play their hearts out- and that they get much needed direction from the sideline

I'd have no bother leaving McVeety in the full forward line after his performances there last year. He's excellent in the middle third but if we can make an inside forward out of him then why not? We're crying out for someone effective in there and we have more options at wing back/wing forward.
    rrs wrote: »
    McVeety has played a lot of Club football as a forward. Under age with Crosserlough he was a corner forward
    Obviously different to county football but playing inside is nothing new to him.

I dont doubt it, but for me hes more beneficial as a half back. Hes excellent at winning turnovers and his distribution is good......his main flaw is that at times he can carry the ball too much.

Im hoping Cole will be an excellent addition to the FF line

I dont doubt it, but for me hes more beneficial as a half back. Hes excellent at winning turnovers and his distribution is good......his main flaw is that at times he can carry the ball too much.

Im hoping Cole will be an excellent addition to the FF line

Cole getting married same day as Donegal game.

Cole getting married same day as Donegal game.

If the future Mrs Cole really loved him, she would completely understand him rescheduling the wedding :)

I dont doubt it, but for me hes more beneficial as a half back. Hes excellent at winning turnovers and his distribution is good......his main flaw is that at times he can carry the ball too much

I prefer him as a forward. At half back he brings the ball into the tackle too much and even though he has the ability to kick scores from distance he defers too often to other players

When he was played as a forward (accidentally for the 2nd half in that disasterous league game against Donegal) he was far more direct.

Kicked in from there, and would prefer he stayed as a forward to be honest

I prefer him as a forward. At half back he brings the ball into the tackle too much and even though he has the ability to kick scores from distance he defers too often to other players

When he was played as a forward (accidentally for the 2nd half in that disasterous league game against Donegal) he was far more direct.

Kicked in from there, and would prefer he stayed as a forward to be honest

I see your point, but I dont see who else we have who is as good at turning the ball over......I definitely agree that when he has the ball, he takes it into the tackle too often.....but a good coach/manager should be able to coach that out of him.

Either way, Im not expecting much tomorrow afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Initial reaction, delighted with the result. Followed it on twitter, RTE Saturday Sport is horrible to listen to. Des Cahill slobbering into the mic about the Dub game.
    Anyone in attendance, be nice to read a report.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I listened to most of it on Northern Sound. Just before half time Cavan had a scoreable free which the keeper came up to take. He dug his boot into the ground to make a divot for the ball and the ref threw up the ball. Apparently it is against the rules, but even the commentators had never seen it before. I certainly wasn't aware of it.

That could have been the difference, but from the commentary Cavan should be happy enough with a draw from being so far behind.

• Advertisement

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Initial reaction, delighted with the result. Followed it on twitter, RTE Saturday Sport is horrible to listen to. Des Cahill slobbering into the mic about the Dub game.
    Anyone in attendance, be nice to read a report.

Get yourself the Northern Sound app!!!

Look, Clare could’ve been out of sight by half time so a draw is welcome. Sounded like lots of basic errors and (not surprisingly) lads not 100% fit.

Great fight back. Mackey sounds like he made the difference with top performances from Mc Veety and Ciaran Brady. Could have/ should have won it but would be impressed that despite being 7 points down the towel wasn’t thrown in.

Also, I know NS is notoriously biased but sounded like the ref was atrocious.

Advertisement