Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Get yourself the Northern Sound app!!!

Look, Clare could’ve been out of sight by half time so a draw is welcome. Sounded like lots of basic errors and (not surprisingly) lads not 100% fit.

Great fight back. Mackey sounds like he made the difference with top performances from Mc Veety and Ciaran Brady. Could have/ should have won it but would be impressed that despite being 7 points down the towel wasn’t thrown in.

Also, I know NS is notoriously biased but sounded like the ref was atrocious.

Yeah sounds like we got out of jail with a scoring spell of 1-2 in a few mins in the middle of the second half.

Ref apparently woeful.....going by NS Brennan was fouling all day and only got a deserved black card with 5 mins left. Clare got frees a lot easier.

Mackey apparently key when he came on. Faulkner hit a post when he should score and Clare burst down the field to score a point in injury time to put them 1 up, but Magee hit a difficult free to draw.

One thing really annoys me about refereeing in general. When Cavan were on top Mackeys marker is hanging out of him...he tries to get away and a scuffle ensues....what happens....2 yellows. Can linesmen and umpires not see who starts the issue....if he keeps doing it and no reaction it's play on....otherwise it's 2 yellows. It's happens way too much. I'm second guessing what happened by the way, but I know from watching both Cavan and at times Castlerahan that he generally doesn't react unless he has no other oprion

I'd be interested to see the Celts report on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Yeah sounds like we got out of jail with a scoring spell of 1-2 in a few mins in the middle of the second half.

Ref apparently woeful.....going by NS Brennan was fouling all day and only got a deserved black card with 5 mins left. Clare got frees a lot easier.

Mackey apparently key when he came on. Faulkner hit a post when he should score and Clare burst down the field to score a point in injury time to put them 1 up, but Magee hit a difficult free to draw.

One thing really annoys me about refereeing in general. When Cavan were on top Mackeys marker is hanging out of him...he tries to get away and a scuffle ensues....what happens....2 yellows. Can linesmen and umpires not see who starts the issue....if he keeps doing it and no reaction it's play on....otherwise it's 2 yellows. It's happens way too much. I'm second guessing what happened by the way, but I know from watching both Cavan and at times Castlerahan that he generally doesn't react unless he has no other oprion

I'd be interested to see the Celts report on the game.

very fair assessment of the game , that 5 minute spell led by two excellent mackey points and brilliant run before his shot was saved and rebounded in to the net by brian mcgee

in the same time we lost gary brennan for a foul on mcveety and in truth was lucky it was not more then black , the ref was a bit of a home bird to be fair and did give us the benefit of many soft frees especially in the first half

after a early goal , cavan went flat , and only the introduction of gearoid mckerinan ( who was clearly not 100%) seemed to lift things , cian mackey drove cavan on again in the second along with mcgee and dara mcvitey who's last point was probably score of the game

hard to really know how good or bad a result this will later work out for either side , both side have made multiple changes from last year , it was a poor game but conditions played a major factor , played on a heavy pitch with driving wind and rain its vertually impossable to take anything out of this game other then a descent work out for guys trying to break into the panel on a regular basis

both teams kicked 10 wides each and by my count the cavan scorers were (correct me if i am wrong );):confused:

brian mcgee 1-2
    caomhin o'reilly 1-1
    dara mcvity 0-3
    cian mackey 0-2
    adrian cole 0-1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I think it was Niall McKiernan, not Gearoid who came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I think it was Niall McKiernan, not Gearoid who came on.

Yep and it was Galligan who came on and kicked a monster score, not Cole; who was injured in the warmup according to NS.

Galligan has potential- played well in Mc Kenna cup and has had a few cameos last year. Sounded like he put in a shift when he came on.

It goes without saying but next two games we need 4 points. And hopefully a few players have more in their legs for next week. Would be nice to see GMac get some minutes on the 40 next week

Yep and it was Galligan who came on and kicked a monster score, not Cole; who was injured in the warmup according to NS.

Galligan has potential- played well in Mc Kenna cup and has had a few cameos last year. Sounded like he put in a shift when he came on.

It goes without saying but next two games we need 4 points. And hopefully a few players have more in their legs for next week. Would be nice to see GMac get some minutes on the 40 next week

Thanks lads program was all over the place , plus most media outlets are crediting the second goal to mcveety not mcgee . My fault was sure it was mcgee

On mackys 35 minutes I resent the criticism in his direction today . He changed the game with two great scores . G mac is top drawer ....makes sense now I was wandering what was wrong ......

• Advertisement

Thanks lads program was all over the place , plus most media outlets are crediting the second goal to mcveety not mcgee . My fault was sure it was mcgee

On mackys 35 minutes I resent the criticism in his direction today . He changed the game with two great scores . G mac is top drawer ....makes sense now I was wandering what was wrong ......

Criticism of Mackey? From any real Cavan fan? Ain’t happening here- unless it’s on Shelbyville; where criticising Cavan football is deriguer.

Mackey is absolutely top drawer and has easily been our best player for years.

Confusion comes from a late change. Think Galligan had the number 15 jersey and Madden started at number 25.

By the way, I appreciate your honesty about the ref. Cavan fans (online) have (imho) rightly gained a reputation for blaming the ref for anything.

Criticism of Mackey? From any real Cavan fan? Ain’t happening here- unless it’s on Shelbyville; where criticising Cavan football is deriguer.

Mackey is absolutely top drawer and has easily been our best player for years.

Confusion comes from a late change. Think Galligan had the number 15 jersey and Madden started at number 25.

By the way, I appreciate your honesty about the ref. Cavan fans (online) have (imho) rightly gained a reputation for blaming the ref for anything.

I spotted one or two comments against him . As you said he was top drawer today two excellent points from play and set up the goal . In all truth the ref was brutal today so not much honesty needed

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Clare v Cavan 2nd half coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Mattie McGleenan interview after the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

As the lads said it was a lucky point
    But it was a decent clare side we were up against
    The wind was a huge factor in the game
    The ref was terrible clare could have had two men sent off
    Galligans confidence seemed to go after the goal .
    Mackey was brilliant when he come on
    Killian Clarke needs to be taken out of midfield as he was terrible
    It wont be an easy place for teams to get points in .
    Next week is a huge game and with 4 or 5 players to come back we really need to get two points against Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Next week is a huge game and with 4 or 5 players to come back we really need to get two points against Louth

Who are the players to come back in?

Think G mc, Niall Murray and Martin Reilly could be back for the Louth Game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Are the Sheanons of Cuala still hurling for Cavan? What is their connection to Cavan? Is their father a Cavanman?

Can anybody answer?

Good to see Martin Reilly back as well as a few Gaels. Panel looking better already.

Tomorrow is vital. Absolutely must win. A decent performance and some momentum going into the Meath game (counting no chickens) and who knows.

Tipp are clearly the up and coming team but asides from that any of the other teams could as easily go down as up.

Of course the Rossies will beat us regardless. That’s a given. They took that league semi final defeat in 2002 very seriously and haven’t forgiven us :)

Forgot to post the team! Doh!

1. James Farrelly (Kingscourt)
    2. Niall Murray (Cavan Gaels)
    3. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
    4. David Phillips (Gowna)
    5. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
    6. Ciaran Brady (Arvagh)
    7. Enda Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    8. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    9. Bryan Magee (Cuchulainns)
    10. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
    11. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
    12. Oisin Kiernan (Castlerahan)
    13. Caoimhin O'Reilly (Butlersbridge)
    14. Adrian Cole (Ramor United)
    15. Niall Clerkin (Shercock)
    16. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
    17. Stephen Murray (Cavan Gaels)
    18. Conor Brady (Gowna)
    19. Jack Wharton (Cornafean)
    20. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    21. Conor Bradley (Ramor United)
    22. Ryan Connolly (Drumlane)
    23. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
    24. Thomas Galligan (Lacken)
    25. Sean McCormack (Ballyhaise)
    26. David Brady (Ballyhaise)
    27. Sean Johnston (Cavan Ga

Good result tonight not sure how good or bad we are yet but its a long time since we put up a score of 3-17 so that's good in itself

Good result tonight not sure how good or bad we are yet but its a long time since we put up a score of 3-17 so that's good in itself

Yes, Louth look like division 3 candidates but we had lots of positives tonight. Caoimhin O Reilly was superb. Pace and movement, constantly in front and pretty much every ball stuck. We haven’t had a corner forward like him in ages. Mackey sublime again. Full back line looked solid- Faulkner puts in some monster hits, and Murray added a sense of calm. Phillips unlucky to be subbed after his yellow.

Clerkin has the makings of a good footballer if he could sort out his decision-making. Moynagh was good and Brady had a really good game at centre half and took his goal well. Flanagan and Kiernan also showed well. Mc Veety was fairy subdued by his standards.

Martin Reilly was very rusty- some of his passing was dreadful, yet he kicked two good points. Good to see GMac get a few minutes as well as Stephen Murray.

Clarke and Magee didn’t do a huge amount wrong, but Cole looked like he wasn’t near match fit. But despite the early doom & gloom, we aren’t as badly off as the naysayers would have you believe.

Meath will be a tougher test but you can only beat what is in front of you and that margin of a win can’t do us any harm going into next week.

Looking forward to it already.

i expect ye to be promotion candidates with meath and probably tipperary especially when ye get up to full strength , think rosscommon will sit this one out , think alson monaghan and donegal are being relegated so next year could be tough if ye miss out

i expect ye to be promotion candidates with meath and probably tipperary especially when ye get up to full strength , think rosscommon will sit this one out , think alson monaghan and donegal are being relegated so next year could be tough if ye miss out

I would say that Tipp are the team on the up and the division is tight enough that anyone from the Rossies, Cork, Meath, Clare & ourselves could be in the mix.

Similarly any of the above could be battling relegation with Louth and Down....

I predict it could be one of those campaigns that could go down to the wire with a lot to be decided on the last day....

I would say that Tipp are the team on the up and the division is tight enough that anyone from the Rossies, Cork, Meath, Clare & ourselves could be in the mix.

Similarly any of the above could be battling relegation with Louth and Down....

I predict it could be one of those campaigns that could go down to the wire with a lot to be decided on the last day....

the bottom half of divison two will be made up of down/louth (both relegation candidates clare and one of roscommon and cork , top half will be tipperary cavan ( espically with the players ye have coming back ) and meath

roscommon need a year to dust the cobwebs after a excellent start and probably poor finish to last year , the last thing they need to do is put everything into the league like they did two years ago , where clare hammered them 6 days after a huge connacht final defeat to galway

every county is missing players due to non commitment , traveling or work commitments but the best equip teams to go up as it stands is both Tipperary and cavan both have invested heavily in underage over the last 6 years and moving in the right direction

the likes of cork are in huge trouble even though they have done well underage there county board has done nothing for them ,

i actually expect ye to do well in ulster this year but that is miles away yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭rrs

I heard Niall McKiernan left the panel after being taken off against Clare,he was brought on as a Sub in the second half in that game. This type of thing happened last year too , taking off players after being brought on. No good for a players confidence.

Good win against Louth, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. Louth are awful.

I wasn't at the Clarke game but they said on the radio the ball in wasn't great.

He had issues before at u21 ,but been training well. He was top of the fitness tests before Xmas

McGleenan is too shot gun with his sub's , regardless.

Doubt it was because of that. He was taken off last year against Monaghan after 20 minutes when he being pulled and dragged by 2 players. He won a few frees and was hauled off. He didn't feature again after that. Bar 10 minutes against Tyrone

He started this year well in the McKenna cup. Why bother giving commitment unless given a fair crack.

Yevon wrote: »
    It wasn't but if he's waiting for perfect ball in...

If he's going to argue with management quit because of that maybe he doesn't have the temperament needed. Which is a pity because he certainly has the physical attributes.

McGleenan definitely was too rash with subs last year but from the evidence of the two League games so far this year, he's got it exactly right.

I think we can all agree that last year's substitutions were a disaster. Clear attempt of a new manager not wanting to be passive but over-egging the omelette. League game against Dublin Conor Madden came on as a sub in the second half, didn't show for his first ball and was promptly subbed. That sort of thing is of no value at all, but credit to Madden, it didn't seem to affect him and he had a good showing in the next game against Donegal (one of the few who did). And we got caught a few times emptying our bench and when a black card came, we had no one to come one (Donegal again...)

Cavan fans online seem to relish any sort of doom and gloom and this year was the worst on record. The entire panel had walked at one stage apparently. Rory Dunne was supposed to have packed it in, yet if you actually read his interview with the Celt he'e been recovering from a serious injury.

Look, if Mc Kiernan is gone, that's his decision (if true) and perhaps being subbed is the only reason*. If that's the case, no player has a right to anything and if anyone wants to sulk for being subbed, then we are definitely better off without them.

He clearly has talent, but the only way he will show it is by reacting the right way and proving management wrong.

*Of course, he probably hasn't left the panel at all- and it could be a multitude of reasons, which are far more mundane such as injury, work or study commitments etc.

Couple of few things from Saturday

1. Discipline was much, much better* (and seemed to be in Clare, despite the circumstances). Hope that is something we've worked on as it has been a real Achilles heel for years. I know Mc Veety got a black card, but it was fairly harsh but aside from that, no stupid tackles.

2. Seemed a genuine tactic to get low, fast ball into O'Reilly, Mackey and Clerkin. It worked well and we were (mostly) fast and direct. Long may that continue.

3. Cavan fans are all too quick to point out how the ref was against us (like last week in Clare), so it only seems right to say that we got pretty much every decision our way on Saturday night. In the first half we got three dubious frees that led to scores. Hope we haven't used up all our refereeing "luck" in one go!!

*Apologies in advance for putting a hex on us in advance of the Meath game, which will now result in a mass brawl...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Couple of few things from Saturday

1. Discipline was much, much better* (and seemed to be in Clare, despite the circumstances). Hope that is something we've worked on as it has been a real Achilles heel for years. I know Mc Veety got a black card, but it was fairly harsh but aside from that, no stupid tackles.

2. Seemed a genuine tactic to get low, fast ball into O'Reilly, Mackey and Clerkin. It worked well and we were (mostly) fast and direct. Long may that continue.

3. Cavan fans are all too quick to point out how the ref was against us (like last week in Clare), so it only seems right to say that we got pretty much every decision our way on Saturday night. In the first half we got three dubious frees that led to scores. Hope we haven't used up all our refereeing "luck" in one go!!

*Apologies in advance for putting a hex on us in advance of the Meath game, which will now result in a mass brawl...

I thought the ref gave a lot of soft frees all round on Sat......not much good when you wont be getting them come Championship.

I would imagine that Galligan will resume his place in goals, Farrelly probably needed to be flawless to keep the jersey and he looked a bit shaky. Moynagh started well at centre half forward but he's probably too prone to silly mistakes to keep that position. And for the love of God would someone tell him to quit the outside of the boot shots. He'll score about 1 in 10 of those, the crowd are groaning before the ball has left his boot.

Re: Farrelly: his distribution is not good enough for inter-county level. Too slow and not accurate enough. Definitely Galligan for me.

Re: Moynagh: was having a chat with someone at the game. The potential is there, some of his passing is exceptional and his positional play is improving all the time (at the back).

But sometimes the simple things are too hard for him and he does something that, as you said, has everyone groaning. Those Brian Dooher-style kicks you mention drive everyone to distraction. In fairness, he isn't the only one on the team guilty of it (Martin Reilly does it a lot too) but Moynagh has so much talent and because he is capable of such quality that when he kicks those stupid wides, he gets even more flack than anyone else would. If he could iron those parts out of his game I think he could be a very good player- ideally from half back and letting quality ball in to the likes of O Reilly et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭celt262

Enda Flanagan and Caoimhin Reilly played again tonight for DIT, both played the Louth game, and the previous Sigerson game last week. Saturday evening will be their 5th game in 2 weeks. Hope the pair of lads aren't burned out by it.

There young lads do them no harm as long as they are not doing full training sessions inbetween.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Enda Flanagan two goals in less than a minute. Be nice to bring that form to Meath game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Cavan v meath today postponed.waterlogged pitch. someone posted on the meath gaa thread it's rescheduled for tomorrow at 2 o'clock.

Advertisement