Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭celt262

Nobbies wrote: »
    Cavan v meath today postponed.waterlogged pitch. someone posted on the meath gaa thread it's rescheduled for tomorrow at 2 o'clock.

Very little chance of it going ahead tomorrow still raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

celt262 wrote: »
    Very little chance of it going ahead tomorrow still raining.

Plus there is a snow/ice warning for Connacht/Ulster tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would the pitch in Kingscourt not be in better shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Breffni was fine on Sunday.

Great win, away to Cork will be a lot tougher. Was very surprised about how Meath lacked an attacking cutting edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Great win today ... These lads have really improved since the clare game

Some strange results in the other games so its hard to know how many points will be needed to go up but two more wins should be enough

Next weekend is a big one ..our first against an ulster team so it will be interesting to see if tactics change or stay the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Yevon wrote: »
    4 points clear with 2 to go. Likely scenario is we're going to be 2 points ahead of the two teams we're playing with 2 to go. A point would very likely see us into Division 1. The kicker is, we've the best two teams left to play.

Serious credit to Mattie and the players that stuck with it. Going into the Clare game on the back of the Tyrone hammering and the inexperienced team I was full sure we were going to be relegated but the lads never faltered. Our big players keep standing up.

Go and beat Roscommon and get that monkey off our back and secure division 1 football in the process.

ye deserve to go up , ye didnt deserve to get relegated last season and the squad rotation has also worked well , confidant ye could rattle donegal since the start of the year and go on a run in ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Very happy with that win, experienced men, Gearoid, Martin Reilly and Mackey really stood up when it counted.

One aspect I would like to see improved upon is a cohesiveness between Mackey, Martin, McVeety etc when we do break teams down, and have the opportunity to push forward. Too often it’s only one or two men. We need to trust each other and push forward as a collective with pace and not allow other teams funnel back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Very happy with that win, experienced men, Gearoid, Martin Reilly and Mackey really stood up when it counted.

One aspect I would like to see improved upon is a cohesiveness between Mackey, Martin, McVeety etc when we do break teams down, and have the opportunity to push forward. Too often it’s only one or two men. We need to trust each other and push forward as a collective with pace and not allow other teams funnel back.

Very much agree with this.

I thought that cavan had another gear they could move into at times and always going to do better in second half with the wind.

Only thing I would say was down did have at least three clear goal chances. 1st half galligan save, second half off the post and down player shooting well wide when in.

Bradley no.21 looked good when he came on.

Also anyone think the ref was inconsistent. Lack of yellows / black cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭rrs

Cavan in a great position now. I didn't think they loooked that convincing last night, a better team would have punished Cavan.
    Down moved the ball well and opened up Cavan a few times. Roscommon adn Tipp will tell if they are good enough to be promoted.
    Conor Bradley very lively when he came on, decent options to bring on.

Well lads we are now where we want to be !!!

Can we push on a get promoted ?

I'm not sure but i think this team has proven a lot of us wrong this year so far so hopefully we can go and get that monkey off our back and beat the Rossies in Hyde park next weekend
    I think a huge push is needed to win one of the two games and get a tilt at a national title in croke park god knows we need it more than any of the other teams in Div 2

Our position will be a lot clearer this time next week

Cavan4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I hope we can do it, but Im very worried about how easy Down created goal chances on Sat nite......they really should have 3......they seem to run through us at times, and we had numbers back on some of those occasions.

Maybe Im being harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

I hope we can do it, but Im very worried about how easy Down created goal chances on Sat nite......they really should have 3......they seem to run through us at times, and we had numbers back on some of those occasions.

Maybe Im being harsh

Hopefully two corner backs will be back starting.

Strange to take galligan out of goals after having a great game against Down .

Big game for us Sunday .. Rossies will be confident if not cocky going into it .

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Strange to take galligan out of goals after having a great game against Down .

Big game for us Sunday .. Rossies will be confident if not cocky going into it .

He's alternated them all league.

I can't see Roscommon not winning this game. They're simply a better side than Cavan. Our league position is skewed currently. They'll win and beat the handicap of -2 easily in the end.

Not so sure about that ...Roscommon seem to be hot and cold and have rode their luck a bit so hopefully we'll get the rub of the green and pull through it .

Can't say I'm over the moon to see Cormac Reilly reffing it

Fergal Reilly back training with the squad. Good timing with injuries in defence and squad depth being stretched.

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Not so sure about that ...Roscommon seem to be hot and cold and have rode their luck a bit so hopefully we'll get the rub of the green and pull through it .

Can't say I'm over the moon to see Cormac Reilly reffing it

Cormac Reilly does not like Cavan. I saw him at his tricks before in the U.21 semi against Roscommon a few years ago.

Why is he only returning now do you know?

Work and doing a course in Ballyhaise.

Looks like Cormac Reilly made sure Cavan lost again under his refereeing according to my friends from Kingscourt who were at the game.

How is he allowed get away with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

putting 15 players behind the ball will win you nothing

sorry Cavan folks

• Advertisement

Please please please somebody take the feckin handbag off Killian Clarke ... He was the difference between the 2 teams today ..
    He's developed into a mouthy clown

Tough defeat today definitely one we left behind but if we cant beat tipp we realistically don't belong in division 1 and that is no disrespect to a good tipp team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Looks like Cormac Reilly made sure Cavan lost again under his refereeing according to my friends from Kingscourt who were at the game.

How is he allowed get away with it?

Reilly is shîte but this position coming from the Cavan side that he favoured Roscommon is seriously sour grapes. He made some very poor calls against both teams. In a tight game the Roscommon subs made the difference the Cavan ones did not.

Hopefully both sides meet again in the league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Why was their no highlights on rte Sunday game last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Why was their no highlights on rte Sunday game last night?

It was only a tie that had significance for who would be promoted to Division 1 football...what would be taking RTE there, when there was a chance to show Clare and Cork...

Anyways, despite the weather it was a cracking game. Plenty of drama and yes, it was error strewn, but some good spells as well. On the balance of 70mins, the Rossies shaded it for me. Galligan made one good and one great save and they hit the upright at least 3 times.

Despite that, we were well placed for the 2 points. If Mc Veety scores, we're 4 up with 10 to go and I think momentum is well with us as scores were at a premium. No idea how he missed that.

Faulkner was colossal, Mc Loughlin had his best game for us in ages. The Holla kicked two great scores too. Clarke had one of his better games in the middle, but he seems to be easily dragged into (or causes) all sorts of nonsense. Come championship, if he keeps that up he won't last 70 minutes.

Couple of lads had very poor games. I won't mention names.

Finally the ref was an absolute joke for both teams. Zero consistency- plays advantage some of the time, and then ignores it the next time. Allowed the Rossies to play advantage and take a score on, and when it went wide (under no pressure) he brings it back for a free- which was then popped over. Gave Bradley two very handy frees as well that were hard to see what was wrong in the tackle. Thought we should have had a penalty as well when Faulkner broke clear in the second half.

The biggest joke was one of Murtagh's points at the end. The chance came from a hospital pass from Galligan to Faulkner but when the latter went to tackle Murtagh when shooting, he was taken out. Score kicked, linesman intervenes and Rossie's player black carded. Surely the score should have been rescinded and a free out for Cavan- it was a blatant foul. Was at a crucial time as well- it may have been the equalising point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    putting 15 players behind the ball will win you nothing

sorry Cavan folks

Were you even at the game? For the first 15 mins of the first half (and with the breeze) there was only one team playing a blanket defence. And it wasn't doing them any favours either.

Seems to be a default trope to go at Cavan (black death etc etc) but in this case it doesn't hold. Guilty of some ponderous play in the latter part of the second half but some of that was due to the Rossies getting men back in numbers and denying space.

And credit to Mc Stay: he made his bench count and when Cavan had the Rossies on the run in the second half and were dominated their kick outs against the wind, he changed it quickly and got them back into it.

If I was a Rossie fan, I'd be pointing to that rather than some nonsense about Cavan being too defensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

It was only a tie that had significance for who would be promoted to Division 1 football...what would be taking RTE there, when there was a chance to show Clare and Cork...

Anyways, despite the weather it was a cracking game. Plenty of drama and yes, it was error strewn, but some good spells as well. On the balance of 70mins, the Rossies shaded it for me. Galligan made one good and one great save and they hit the upright at least 3 times.

Despite that, we were well placed for the 2 points. If Mc Veety scores, we're 4 up with 10 to go and I think momentum is well with us as scores were at a premium. No idea how he missed that.

Faulkner was colossal, Mc Loughlin had his best game for us in ages. The Holla kicked two great scores too. Clarke had one of his better games in the middle, but he seems to be easily dragged into (or causes) all sorts of nonsense. Come championship, if he keeps that up he won't last 70 minutes.

Couple of lads had very poor games. I won't mention names.

Finally the ref was an absolute joke for both teams. Zero consistency- plays advantage some of the time, and then ignores it the next time. Allowed the Rossies to play advantage and take a score on, and when it went wide (under no pressure) he brings it back for a free- which was then popped over. Gave Bradley two very handy frees as well that were hard to see what was wrong in the tackle. Thought we should have had a penalty as well when Faulkner broke clear in the second half.

The biggest joke was one of Murtagh's points at the end. The chance came from a hospital pass from Galligan to Faulkner but when the latter went to tackle Murtagh when shooting, he was taken out. Score kicked, linesman intervenes and Rossie's player black carded. Surely the score should have been rescinded and a free out for Cavan- it was a blatant foul. Was at a crucial time as well- it may have been the equalising point.

Very good summation. Referee made decisions that both sides wouldn’t be happy about.

We could talk rings around this Tipperary game but barring Down getting a result next weekend; we need to beat them.

And if we can't beat Tipperary at home with 2 weeks to prepare and a chance to get a look at them in a game in the meantime, we don't deserve to go up to Division 1.

Talk the game will be this weekend.

Would the final rounds not need to all happen at the same time?

If results go a certain way then last games dead rubbers so league final could go ahead. Maybe GAA are changing this. Only a rumour I heard. We'll know tomorrow.

So game fixed for this Sunday lets hope for a big Cavan turnout and a huge performance to get over the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭rrs

Quinlivan, Sweeney and Jack Kennedy did the damage last year in Breffni. Quinlivan roasted Clarke when he came on. Stephen O Brien back with the Tip footballers this year, great addition at midfield.

Cavan need a big performance but not beyond them.Tipp know a win against Cavan will do regardless of how the Down game goes.

Advertisement