Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tom Joad wrote: »

It's another option all right and something you could see happening - put the two of them up there and have Dunne and Mc Dermott feeding off breaks - you could then leave McKeever and Mackey to sit and protect the backs but to be the link men to carry ball and get it up to the lads.

As I've said here before the big positive at the minute is that we have now options both in terms of players and systems.

Not sure if you noticed Tom but McKeever isn't starting. He was away in New York last weekend and got engaged so I doubt he was back and ready in time for this game.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sprung from the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Lemlin wrote: »
    Not sure if you noticed Tom but McKeever isn't starting. He was away in New York last weekend and got engaged so I doubt he was back and ready in time for this game.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sprung from the bench.

I was talking in general as I think that will be how we could set up come championship time.. can't see McKeever being involved today.

Just in and see Cavan won 14 points to 11. Great result for the lads and I'd imagine that ensures safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Ross beat our neighbors by a point does that put us in with a chance in beffni in two weeks?

scoopmine wrote: »
    Ross beat our neighbors by a point does that put us in with a chance in beffni in two weeks?

I think it does but who do Monaghan play in their last game?

I don't think we can finish above Fermanagh now even if they lose to Meath as we can only level their points tally.

Meath can also finish above us if they win their last two games which I can see them doing.

• Advertisement

scoopmine wrote: »

A very slim chance. We'd need Meath to lose one game of their remaing two and for Monaghan to lose.

Who do Monaghan play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Antrim at home.

Good result today - was listening on Northern Sound and always seemed to have that wee bit extra. Martin Dunne seemed to have a good game and nice to see Barry Reilly come on and have a good game again..

Roscommon result gives us an outside chance of promotion - was trying to work out what we need to happen but my head hurts after trying - Antrim beating Meath would be a good start.

What happens if we finish level with Fermanagh - is it head to head results that decides??

Good result today - was listening on Northern Sound and always seemed to have that wee bit extra. Martin Dunne seemed to have a good game and nice to see Barry Reilly come on and have a good game again..

Roscommon result gives us an outside chance of promotion - was trying to work out what we need to happen but my head hurts after trying - Antrim beating Meath would be a good start.

What happens if we finish level with Fermanagh - is it head to head results that decides??

AFAIK it's head to head.

So we can't catch Fermanagh. Therefore if we beat Roscommon (big if), we need Antrim or Fermanagh to beat Meath (quite possible) and Antrim to beat Monaghan in Clones (can't really see that happening tbh).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I dont think promotion this year would be good for us, we would most likely come straight back down with not much to show for our 2014 league campaign. It has been a decent year so far; we have consolidated in Div. 3 and perhaps even established ourselves as one of the stronger teams, we have had good away wins in Navan and Aughrim and our only defeat in Breffni was to the table toppers but only after losing a man after 10 minutes.

We are still a young team and next year we will have another few lads graduating from the Under 21 conveyor belt to the senior squad who would benefit from adqpting to senior football and gaining confidence in Div. 3. We should have a stronger squad with a good mix of youth and experience for the 2014 season and should be pushing to win Div. 3 at that stage.

Obviously another win would be great but I think competing in Div. 2 next year would be too much too soon so the best outcome would be another win but for results to dictate that we dont go up. Like I said, this year has been good enough so far, the next goal is putting in a good performance against, and possibly beat, Armagh. That game will be a good benchmark and tell us where we are at. We should also be looking to get more than two championship matchs this year.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I dont think promotion this year would be good for us, we would most likely come straight back down with not much to show for our 2014 league campaign. It has been a decent year so far; we have consolidated in Div. 3 and perhaps even established ourselves as one of the stronger teams, we have had good away wins in Navan and Aughrim and our only defeat in Breffni was to the table toppers but only after losing a man after 10 minutes.

We are still a young team and next year we will have another few lads graduating from the Under 21 conveyor belt to the senior squad who would benefit from adqpting to senior football and gaining confidence in Div. 3. We should have a stronger squad with a good mix of youth and experience for the 2014 season and should be pushing to win Div. 3 at that stage.

Obviously another win would be great but I think competing in Div. 2 next year would be too much too soon so the best outcome would be another win but for results to dictate that we dont go up. Like I said, this year has been good enough so far, the next goal is putting in a good performance against, and possibly beat, Armagh. That game will be a good benchmark and tell us where we are at. We should also be looking to get more than two championship matchs this year.

I'd have to disagree to be honest. Teams improve by playing better teams and gaining experience. We've a young panel of players who have acquitted themselves very well in the toughest Division 3 I've seen in a while. An Armagh man even told me that he sees it as a tougher division this year than Division 2.

The great thing about our showing this year is that we have been competitive in every game. It's a long time since that happened. In the last two years we've been fighting for our lives on the last day of the league but this year we've held our own against every team in the Division and are safe with points to spare.

I don't think there's any hope of us being promoted, although it is still mathematically possible I think, but Roscommon will be a tough game and I think it'll really show how far these lads have come if they win. Roscommon showed yesterday their character when coming back to beat Monaghan and I don't know if the Brigids run took their eye off the ball but I was expecting them and Meath/Monaghan to be the main candidates for promotion. They're a very good side.

The main factor yesterday was that the panel was used well. Against Fermanagh it appeared weak but yesterday, by all accounts as I wasn't there, other players came in and picked up the baton when the likes of Givney had a poor game. This has been lacking from Cavan teams in the past.

One of our big problems has been relying on marquee players and when they don't perform, the team don't. This year though different players have stood up in each match and, when one has had an off day, others have performed in their place.

On the way home from the Fermanagh game, I listed to Donal Keoghan talk on Northern Sound about how the panel was sorely lacking because the U21s weren't available. It was his opinion that the U21s should have remained with the senior team.

I agree with his opinion that the changes were poor that night and I honestly think having the U21s and a stronger bench could have seen us win that match but I think the system works well and we should be teaching our lads to win at a younger level like they are now. For example, it was great experience for the U21s to dig in on Wednesday night and grind the win out in extra time against Monaghan. That'll serve them well in future years at senior level.

With the panel we have at the minute and the U21s coming back after their championship, I'm really looking forward to the Summer. I honestly think we have the talent there to be competitive against any team from Division 2 down. We're still a long way from the top 8 teams but I'd like to think that the qualifier draw might be kind for once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

Agree with Pete_Cavan, Cavan would be better off staying in Div3 as IMO they would be hockeyed in a good few games in Div2 which could dent young players confidence.

Mr. Wong wrote: »
    Agree with Pete_Cavan, Cavan would be better off staying in Div3 as IMO they would be hockeyed in a good few games in Div2 which could dent young players confidence.

And what areas of the panel would you see as weak points? Any position from 1-15 you'd see us as particularly weak in? I'm interested in hearing your opinion as a neutral. We don't often get neutral opinions as Cavan are rarely shown on TV.

We got a hockeying off your own county last year in the Championship and it appears to have had the opposite effect - the lads have come back more determined than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 termon8r

any word on the venue for under 21 semi-final with down?

termon8r wrote: »
    any word on the venue for under 21 semi-final with down?

It's in Brewster.

And what areas of the panel would you see as weak points? Any position from 1-15 you'd see us as particularly weak in? I'm interested in hearing your opinion as a neutral. We don't often get neutral opinions as Cavan are rarely shown on TV.

We got a hockeying off your own county last year in the Championship and it appears to have had the opposite effect - the lads have come back more determined than ever.
    While I'm no expert on the capabilities of this current Cavan team, they looked pretty gutless last year against us when the intensity was upped a few notches. The Cavan players seemed more interested in getting in sly digs at SJ when they should have being looking to get back into the game.

However, Cavan are a county capable of winning an Ulster title in the not too distant future if they can (for the want of a better phrase) get their shit together.

Having successful underage teams does not guarantee a good senior team, Laois are a perfect example of this. The young guys need nurturing onto the next level and I think Kieran McGeeney has done this for us. He has been involved with our U21s for a few years now and the fruits of his labour are beginning to blossom in the shape of Niall Kelly, Daniel Flynn, Paddy Brophy, Seán Hurley, Paul Cribbin et al. I can see big futures for these guys.

I'm not too upset about missing out on promotion (as it looks likely we will) to be honest - I do think we would struggle in Division 2 at the moment and another year in Division 3 will do no harm at all.

I agree that the under 21s should stay together and away from the senior panel but again we see another of the issues with Cavan football - everyone has an opinion - wish people would just let Terry get on with the job - especially when they alread got a go..

For Cavan to really progress we have to beat Armagh - it really is a massive game for Cavan and we need to win it to show that we can do it in the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

It's in Brewster.

We must have played in Brewster more times than Fermanagh over the last 3/4 years!!!!

While I'm no expert on the capabilities of this current Cavan team, they looked
    pretty gutless last year against us when the intensity was upped a few notches.
    The Cavan players seemed more interested in getting in sly digs at SJ when they
    should have being looking to get back into the game.

You think that was gutless - you should have seen us v Cork with a certain SJ as captain in the qualifiers in 2010 :D:D but point taken re the intensity - what shocked me most about Seanie that day (apart from him wearing a white jersey) was his physique compared to when he played for Cavan - shows the difference between a Division 1 team and where Cavan are at..

However, Cavan are a county capable of winning an Ulster title in the not too
    distant future if they can (for the want of a better phrase) get their shit together.

Having successful underage teams does not guarantee a good senior team, Laois
    are a perfect example of this.

Would agree with you here and a bit like Kildare needing to win against a big team to get to the next level Cavan need a champiosnhip run this year, starting with beating Armagh

• Advertisement

Hammar wrote: »
    We must have played in Brewster more times than Fermanagh over the last 3/4 years!!!!

It's our second home - i'd say our win percentage in Brewster is fairly impressive..

I'm not too upset about missing out on promotion (as it looks likely we will) to be honest - I do think we would struggle in Division 2 at the moment and another year in Division 3 will do no harm at all.

I agree that the under 21s should stay together and away from the senior panel but again we see another of the issues with Cavan football - everyone has an opinion - wish people would just let Terry get on with the job - especially when they alread got a go..

For Cavan to really progress we have to beat Armagh - it really is a massive game for Cavan and we need to win it to show that we can do it in the championship.

To be honest,Cavan would probably have competed well in Division 2 this year.
    Westmeath
    Laois
    Derry
    Galway
    Louth
    Wexford
    Armagh
    Longford

I wouldn't be afraid of us against 4 or 5 of those teams,although they would all fancy their chances against us. This was the first year in a long time,that the top 6-8 teams were all in Division 1. Next years Division 2 will have Down and another heavyweight(Mayo,Kerry or Donegal) in it so it will be invariably tougher than this years Division 2. So you're correct in saying another year in Division 3 might not be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Donal Keoghan should not be commenting on Cavan football and intend to be taken seriously given the absolute farcical nature of his tenure. His opinion means absolutely no more than anyone on here. We got our first two Ulster trophies in 15 years because of letting the U21s stay on their own and he wants to get rid of that.

We have a great record in Brewster, lost the final in 2010 to Donegal, then 2011 beat Fermanagh, Donegal and Tyrone. 2012 beat Derry and Tyrone there too. The Minor team from 2011 beat Tyrone there too which was really the turning point of that year, Conor Finnegan got 2 goals that day and Nevin O'Donnell swung the game when he came on.

Donal Keoghan should not be commenting on Cavan football and intend to be taken seriously given the absolute farcical nature of his tenure. His opinion means absolutely no more than anyone on here. We got our first two Ulster trophies in 15 years because of letting the U21s stay on their own and he wants to get rid of that.

Couldn't agree more. Has way to much influence still around the county board..

We have a great record in Brewster, lost the final in 2010 to Donegal, then 2011 beat Fermanagh, Donegal and Tyrone. 2012 beat Derry and Tyrone there too. The Minor team from 2011 beat Tyrone there too which was really the turning point of that year, Conor Finnegan got 2 goals that day and Nevin O'Donnell swung the game when he came on.

It is not as if we have 5 or 6 definite starters on the Senior team who are with the Under 21's. Jack Brady is a probable starter,Killian Clarke,Jason McLoughlin and probably Turloc Mooney will also be brought in to the Panel.There are no guarantees Clarke will start at full back over a fit Rory Dunne or an impressive James McEnroe. I don't see where Keoghan is coming from in trying to use it as an excuse for the Fermanagh game.

I don't see where Keoghan is coming from in trying to use it as an excuse for the Fermanagh game.

He sees himself as getting another crack at the county job someday or next chair of the county board and likes to keep himself seen and heard so that we won't forget all the great things he has done for Cavan football.

Mr. Wong wrote: »
    While I'm no expert on the capabilities of this current Cavan team, they looked pretty gutless last year against us when the intensity was upped a few notches. The Cavan players seemed more interested in getting in sly digs at SJ when they should have being looking to get back into the game.

However, Cavan are a county capable of winning an Ulster title in the not too distant future if they can (for the want of a better phrase) get their [COLOR="Black"]shi[/COLOR]t together.

Having successful underage teams does not guarantee a good senior team, Laois are a perfect example of this. The young guys need nurturing onto the next level and I think Kieran McGeeney has done this for us. He has been involved with our U21s for a few years now and the fruits of his labour are beginning to blossom in the shape of Niall Kelly, Daniel Flynn, Paddy Brophy, Seán Hurley, Paul Cribbin et al. I can see big futures for these guys.

The Kildare game came far too early for our lads and I think the media attention and whole spectacle of the day got to them. Terry made a few mistakes as well - playing 18 year old Killian Clark on O'Connor for example. It was just a day better resigned to memory.

The game was well lost when SJ entered the fray. I think most Cavan supporters took solace in the fact that Kildare are 5/6 years into their programme under management and we are only starting ours.

Our lads are carrying through the success to senior already though. David Givney for example has won Sigerson and Railway Cup medals this year already. Martin Reilly and Jack Brady also have Sigerson medals.

Have Kildare won anything at underage level? I know Wexford won Leinster in 11 because Cavan beat them in the semi and Dublin won it last year. I also don't recall seeing too much of them at minor.

He sees himself as getting another crack at the county job someday or next chair of the county board and likes to keep himself seen and heard so that we won't forget all the great things he has done for Cavan football.

I have as much chance of getting the county job as Keoghan does. The carry on/drinking/socialising by the panel which went on in his time in charge is still widely discussed to this day and won't be forgotten any time soon. Paul Grimley and co walked away from the set-up for a reason. I wouldn't be suprised though to see him as a future county chairman though. He does put alot of money into football in the county to be fair and is held in high regard by many in GAA administration circles within the county.

It is not as if we have 5 or 6 definite starters on the Senior team who are with the Under 21's. Jack Brady is a probable starter,Killian Clarke,Jason McLoughlin and probably Turloc Mooney will also be brought in to the Panel.There are no guarantees Clarke will start at full back over a fit Rory Dunne or an impressive James McEnroe. I don't see where Keoghan is coming from in trying to use it as an excuse for the Fermanagh game.

I do think the U21s could have helped that night, particularly Jack Brady. Our forward line was lacking and we had little to bring off the bench. Whenever I see Niall Murray on the pitch, I get worried!

It would have been far better IMO if someone like Brady had started and Barry Reilly was sprung off the bench.

That said, the whole gameplan went out the window when Reilly got his marching orders.

We still have some talented forwards like Niall Smith and Kevin Tierney to come back into the panel from injury.

• Advertisement

One other point i also want to make is that the constant switching of David Givney between,Full forward,Centre Forward and Midfield is negatively affecting his game. Now i understand there is some thinking that Givney and McKiernan are too alike to play together,and Mossy Corr has been outstanding this year,but Hyland needs to sort out a position for Givney and let him get a run of games there.

The Kildare game came far too early for our lads and I think the media attention and whole spectacle of the day got to them. Terry made a few mistakes as well - playing 18 year old Killian Clark on O'Connor for example. It was just a day better resigned to memory.

The game was well lost when SJ entered the fray. I think most Cavan supporters took solace in the fact that Kildare are 5/6 years into their programme under management and we are only starting ours.

Our lads are carrying through the success to senior already though. David Givney for example has won Sigerson and Railway Cup medals this year already. Martin Reilly and Jack Brady also have Sigerson medals.

Have Kildare won anything at underage level? I know Wexford won Leinster in 11 because Cavan beat them in the semi and Dublin won it last year. I also don't recall seeing too much of them at minor.
    Tomás O'Connor is the last man you would want to mark on your debut.

We have a pretty poor record at underage level. 1991 was the last minor title in Leinster. Our U21s have far more success in recent years including a Leinster title in 2004 and an AI final appearance in 2008.

Anyway, best of luck in the year ahead, at all levels.

I do think the U21s could have helped that night, particularly Jack Brady. Our forward line was lacking and we had little to bring off the bench. Whenever I see Niall Murray on the pitch, I get worried!

It would have been far better IMO if someone like Brady had started and Barry Reilly was sprung off the bench.

That said, the whole gameplan went out the window when Reilly got his marching orders.

We still have some talented forwards like Niall Smith and Kevin Tierney to come back into the panel from injury.

We do have a good selection of forwards when everyone is available
    Cian Mackey,Martin Reily,Barry Reily,Mark McKeever, Niall McDermott,Jack Brady,Martin Dunne, Eugene Keating,Niall Smith,Kevin Tierney,Declan McKiernan and potentially David Givney if he is going to be played in the forwards. That is alot of competition for 6 places. I believe Tierney got injured again playing for Ballyhaise so i don't know if he will be available for the Roscommon game.

Lads I think we can write off Rory Dunne's chances of being our first choice full back this year. He hasn't played enough football. Likewise Kevin Tierney. McEnroe will now be first choice I would think and Clarke might slot in at corner back with Minagh in the other corner.
    Jack Brady is a certain Senior Starter once the U21 season is over and Feargal Flanagan won't be far away. Unless we get a good U21 run going and someone emerges as a star (unlikely) then I think those 3 are the only ones that will be in contention for a starting place come Championship time. McLoughlin has the makings of a very good corner back but he is much much too light to be sending out against Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 termon8r

It's our second home - i'd say our win percentage in Brewster is fairly impressive..

delighted we are back in brewster. good memories there over the last few years with the under21 games. i think there is a special atmosphere in brewster under lights.

One other point i also want to make is that the constant switching of David Givney between,Full forward,Centre Forward and Midfield is negatively affecting his game. Now i understand there is some thinking that Givney and McKiernan are too alike to play together,and Mossy Corr has been outstanding this year,but Hyland needs to sort out a position for Givney and let him get a run of games there.

I agree to some extent. Eugene Keating has probably given Terry a big selection headache. Until he returned, there was a position for Givney at full forward. I trust in Terry to make the right decision but it does confuse me sometimes that McKiernan starts at midfield ahead of Givney. I think Corr is needed for his defensive attributes and sheer physical presence so only one of Givney/McKiernan can play there. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing McKiernan tried out in the half forward line and let Givney play midfield. If he's good enough to start for Ulster at midfield, incidentally ahead of McKiernan, surely he's good enough for us. McKiernan moved to the half forwards against Fermanagh last year and played well and he also started on the senior team in the half forwards. I'd like to see him start ahead of Martin Reilly who, despite a good showing apparently on Sunday, I just don't rate.

Last Sunday's game doesn't appear to have gone well for either Givney or Keating but, in fairness, apparently Cavan played into the wind in the second half so trying to bomb high balls forward into the forward line wasn't going to work. It appears that Terry made the right decision to bring on Ronan Flanagan and Meehan, lads who are small, quick and capable of running with the ball.
    Lads I think we can write off Rory Dunne's chances of being our first choice full back this year. He hasn't played enough football. Likewise Kevin Tierney. McEnroe will now be first choice I would think and Clarke might slot in at corner back with Minagh in the other corner.
    Jack Brady is a certain Senior Starter once the U21 season is over and Feargal Flanagan won't be far away. Unless we get a good U21 run going and someone emerges as a star (unlikely) then I think those 3 are the only ones that will be in contention for a starting place come Championship time. McLoughlin has the makings of a very good corner back but he is much much too light to be sending out against Armagh.

Dunne's injuries are unfortunate but he just can't get a run of games at all. That said, I think we approaching a settled backline as you point out. A half back line of McCutcheon, Clarke and O'Reilly/Hayes looks particularly strong to me. Then you'd have Clarke, McEnroe and Minagh in the full back line. For support on the bench then you've the likes of Fergal Flanagan, McLoughlin and Ronan Flanagan, not to mention Damien Barkey. He's a player we've seen very little of this year but I thought he was one of our better backs in the League last year.

In regard to the U21s, Turloc Mooney from Redhills looks like he could be an addition to the senior team.

• Advertisement

The U21 game is actually in the Athletic Grounds in Armagh. I was wrong about Brewster.

The U21 game is actually in the Athletic Grounds in Armagh. I was wrong about Brewster.

Pity it's not in Brewster as Athletic Grounds are harder to get to and Brewster has been a happy hunting ground for us but it won't affect the outcome of the game.

Any idea of how good this Down is -I'd imagine Cavan will be bookies favourites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Down beat an Armagh team made up of Armagh minor teams that got to AIQFs in 2010 and 2011 and were desperately unlucky to lose to Cork with a sucker punch last second goal and to us (Roscommon) after extra-time respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Syferus wrote: »
    Down beat an Armagh team made up of Armagh minor teams that got to AIQFs in 2010 and 2011 and were desperately unlucky to lose to Cork with a sucker punch last second goal and to us (Roscommon) after extra-time respectively.

That means nothing.

celt262 wrote: »
    That means nothing.

I'd agree. You constantly see people refer to bookies' odds etc. in relation to U21s. Even the bookies don't seem to have a clue!

Tyrone were favourites for Ulster and were soundly beaten by Donegal in the first round.

• Advertisement

Big game against Down tonight in Armagh. To make 4 Ulster finals in a row at this grade would be some achievement.

Big game against Down tonight in Armagh. To make 4 Ulster finals in a row at this grade would be some achievement.

Would be a tremendous achievement alright - lets hope they can do it tonight..

Anyone read Hannon's piece in this week's Celt? Looks like a lot of faith and resources are behind this Down outfit, Niall Moyna involved too. Wish the game was in Enniskillen. We have no form either in Armagh or against Down. This is a huge, huge test. Best of luck to all involved.

Team lines out the same as the Monaghan game.

Cavan leading 1-9 to 0-5. Were further ahead but Down are coming back into it.

Cavan win 1-12 to 6 points. Fantastic result. 4 Ulster finals in a row at this level. Some achievement.

Absolutely delighted for the lads - Cavan in 4 Ulster finals in a row - who would have thunk it!!!

Bring on the 3 in a row - COYBIB

Absolutely delighted for the lads - Cavan in 4 Ulster finals in a row - who would have thunk it!!!

Bring on the 3 in a row - COYBIB

We can't look past Donegal but this has to be seen as a golden generation of Cavan footballers and it'd be great to see them deliver an All-Ireland.

Excellent result for the lads. They could have benefited more from a hard game but you can only beat what's put in front of you. Donegal in the final will be dangerous, they must be respected as much as anyone else but if we go out and do ourselves justice there is no reason we can't lift a 3rd title in a row. There seems to be something about this team. We have no visible weaknesses from 1-15 and we have great options off the bench, lads that are as good as those starting. Defensively we are excellent, very disciplined tackling from everyone, lads willing to put their bodies on the line. Up front Enda O'Reilly has a real touch of class and Paul O'Connor is a very industrious full forward.

For me, this is the best overall team that we have produced at U21 level. With some lads going for their 3rd Ulster Title on the bounce, I'm sure the thought of capturing an All Ireland has become the target.
    But this is an unpredictable and unforgiving age group. Favourites tags mean nothing and nobody can, and I'm sure nobody will, look past Donegal. Whatever happens from here on in, to win 10 out of 11 games in Ulster is an amazing feat by players, management and all those that were involved in sorting out our youth structure.

There is no doubt that there is something special about this bunch of lads - had the pleasure of watching them train a few times and they are so dedicated and committed to the jersey its a joy to watch. I read that Michael Hannon article in the celt which shows the level of preparation that goes into the team and that's what's needed to succeed. A huge amount of credit must go to everyone involved in the underage structures - they literally torn apart what was there and rebuilt it again.

Huge credit must also go to the money men in Cavan GAA - I know that Kingspan have been a great supporter of Cavan GAA over a long time but it is great to see the facilities that are in Breffni esp and that's been a huge help in preparing this team. We are actually in a good financial space unlike a lot of counties and have a tremendous facility in Breffni - which has now been recognised by HQ with the rules series coming.

Donegal are a very good team at this level but we have a great chance. I would love to see this team get to Croke Park again because the last time they didn't do justice to themselves.

I've always said that a winning mentality is needed in Cavan football and these lads have it in spades. For the last ten years Cavan at senior level have folded in big games or in tight situations - you never fancied Cavan to mount a comeback. Bringing these young lads into the senior team will help change that mentality.

For me the senior team needs to beat Armagh come championship time - forget about league promotion and all that - Armagh is the big one to show that we are on a upward trajectory, followed by a good run in the championship/ qualifiers.

I don't think we are that far off at Senior level - yes we have a couple of positions we need to sort out - priority for me being Keeper/ finding the best position for Givney/ settling on a full-back/ finding the correct balance at wing-back wing-forward position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement