Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

rrs wrote: »
    Quinlivan, Sweeney and Jack Kennedy did the damage last year in Breffni. Quinlivan roasted Clarke when he came on. Stephen O Brien back with the Tip footballers this year, great addition at midfield.

Cavan need a big performance but not beyond them.Tipp know a win against Cavan will do regardless of how the Down game goes.

Often lost in the soul searching after that game was that in the first half, we played our best football for 5 years. Kicked 12 points, 11 from play.

Of the 6 points Tipp scored in the first half, all but one were from frees. And even when they had their revival, a lot of scores from frees (and a penalty as well) so poor tackling cost us dearly in that game. Need to defend well against a strong attacking team without giving needless frees for Sweeney to punish us. Big test for Faulkner to try and keep Quinlivan quiet- he was immense on Sunday and will need to be that and more this weekend if we are going to win.

Also in that game Tipp pressed our kick out in the second half and we didn't respond or change until the game was almost out of sight. Need to respond to things much quicker (and certainly are signs of that starting to happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tipp are not that exceptional.
    Only drew with Clare and were well beaten at home by Roscommon.
    Home advantage and total focus should suffice for Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Cavan only drew with Clare as well. Weren't well beaten by the Roscommon, Tipp led 3-9 to 0-12 with five minutes of regular time left and the rossies scored 1-5 without reply to win. You could be right home advantage might be key for Cavan on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

It was easy to see at the start of the year that there wasn't going to be a run away winner of division 2, hence no "exceptional" teams. The table doesn't lie and there are three teams with not much in it between them.

For me, Tipp are slightly stronger than Cavan. Clearly on the up, good progression year on year, and unlike ourselves, have given it a decent crack in the championship over the last few years.

They have what we (and many other counties) have been crying out for in Quinlivan, a genuine "go-to" forward.

Until this season, home advantage hasn't meant much for Cavan and let's not forget that Tipp came to Breffni and beat us last summer.

I think we are more than capable of beating them on our day, but we will need to do something we haven't done for the last couple of years: put together a 70 minute performance.

For example, the championship last year: in each game (Monaghan, Offaly and Tipp) we had bursts of 10-15 minutes when we went on fire, and then went into our shells, or worse still, when the opposition mixed it up a bit, we didn't react. Look at our league matches: blew a very poor Louth side away in the first 15 and then let them back in to only go in by a couple, gave poor Meath and Cork sides a sniff and let Down back in a number of times. Could easily argue that we were in the ascendancy until the open goal miss and seemed to go back into our shells a bit and stop direct running at the Rossies.

Anyways, should be a cracker of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭rrs

They lost to Roscommon by 1 in the Hyde. They dominated most of that match and threw away a decent lead. That's not being well beaten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

They lost to Roscommon by 1 in the Hyde. They dominated most of that match and threw away a decent lead. That's not being well beaten

Game was in Thurles .

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Tally Wager

:D ! Well beaten by Roscommon ! ! ! You obviously weren`t at the game :D . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Tipp are obviously a good side but i don't think we should be fearing them we have been playing a higher Standard of football for the last 4 years in the league

..they beat us last year alright but i think they'll struggle against our system of a more confident and composed team as the week goes on I'm getting more hopeful

But as i stated earlier a national title is more important to us than promotion this group need the confidence boost of being able to win in croke park going into the ulster championship

So go get it lads and give it everything and hopefully we'll be good enough on Sunday and if we're not we leave it with no regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
    2. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
    3. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
    4. Enda Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    5. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
    6. Ciaran Brady (Arvagh)
    7. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
    8. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
    9. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    10. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
    11. Bryan Magee (Cuchulainns)
    12. Oisin Kiernan (Castlerahan)
    13. Caoimhin O'Reilly (Butlersbridge)
    14. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    15. Conor Bradley (Ramor United)

16. James Farrelly (Kingscourt)
    17. Adrian Cole (Ramor United)
    18. Niall Clerkin (Shercock)
    19. Conor Madden (Gowna)
    20. Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels)
    21. Niall Murray (Cavan Gaels)
    22. Conor Brady (Gowna)
    23. Stephen Murray (Cavan Gaels)
    24. Darragh Kennedy (Killygarry)
    25. Fergal Reilly (Castlerahan)
    26. Jack Wharton (Cornafean)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Brilliant result, well done to the lads.

• Advertisement

Brilliant result if not a great performance .
    The lads dug deep and never gave up
    Onwards and upwards its now a great opportunity for these lads to put the Rossie hoodo to bed and finally get our hands on some silverware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Brilliant result but a poor performance, especially when Tipp went down to 14 men. They opened us up and easy chances missed chances, and we had to rely on Galligan.....again....to make a super save.

Yes, keepers are there to make saves, but the defence in front of him was opened up at will....not just yesterday, Down should have scored 3 goals.

Their second half goal came straight from a quick kick out and they waltzed through. Our full back line are too concerned with going forward....our back 3 all kicked bad wides (McLoughlin, Clarke and Faulkner)......just stick to the defending

On the positives, McVeety had a brilliant second half, after a poor first half. Madden kicked a super score to win it, and we won a game where we didnt have to rely on McKiernan and Mackey to win it for us, although Mackeys equaliser was straight out of the top drawer

Any idea will the county board have decent family tickets ?
    Ticketmaster only lower cusack 302 so far ..
    Tickets.ie down at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

They always sell poorer seats first, but lower stands and Hill will be sold out so chances are if you leave it too late you'll be upstairs!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    They always sell poorer seats first, but lower stands and Hill will be sold out so chances are if you leave it too late you'll be upstairs!

Don't mind being upstairs just dont wanna get soaked at front of lower stands with the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Don't mind being upstairs just dont wanna get soaked at front of lower stands with the kids

Supposed to be cold anyway. You be better off waiting then until better tickets appear. sure to be upper Cusack and Hogan on sale at the ticket offices around the ground on Sunday. I hear they are expecting around upwards of 50,000 so won't be sell out. Was 54,000 last year, and Cavan, Galway and Ros should bring bigger numbers than for that.

It seems that all that is for sale at present is Lower Tiers towards the font....well on ticketmaster anyway, the only place where you can see where the ticket you are buying is actually for

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Full Panel v Roscommon

1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
    2. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
    3. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
    4. Enda Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    5. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
    6. Ciaran Brady (Arvagh)
    7. Oisin Kiernan (Castlerahan)
    8. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
    9. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    10. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
    11. Bryan Magee (Cuchulainns)
    12. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    13. Caoimhin O’Reilly (Butlersbridge)
    14. Adrian Cole (Ramor United)
    15. Conor Bradley (Ramor United)

16. James Farrelly (Kingscourt)
    17. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
    18. Niall Murray (Cavan Gaels)
    19. Stephen Murray (Cavan Gaels)
    20. Conor Madden (Gowna)
    21. Conor Brady (Gowna)
    22. Niall Clerkin (Shercock)
    23. Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels)
    24. Darragh Kennedy (Killygarry)
    25. Fergal Reilly (Castlerahan)
    26. Padraig Moore (Ballyhaise)
    27. Jack Wharton (Cornafean)
    28. David Brady (Ballyhaise)
    29. Ryan Connolly (Drumlane)
    30. Killian Brady (Mullahoran)

Ok it's time for our lads to put in a big croke park performance !!!

We need a big gearoid performance

Killian needs to play ball or we'll be cleaned out in the middle

I think brian magee could have a huge bearing on the game if he can get the upper hand on ultan harney as hes not long back from injury

I think the importance of this game cant be underestimated as we really need a trophy at senior level to bring this team on !!

Lets go lads

Cavan4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan were very poor in that first half.
    Can't even do the basics like kicking the ball over the bar instead of into the goalie's hands.
    Seem to panic in possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

Martin Reilly is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

This game is bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Conor Madden has to be the most frustrating footballer ive seen for a while.
    Crazy game.

tanko wrote: »
    Conor Madden has to be the most frustrating footballer ive seen for a while.
    Crazy game.

It dont go well going forward. Dropped way too any short, and too many wides. Problem with the way we play is that the defense cant be relied upon to help us out if our forwards have an off day.

Mattie has a lot to do for us to be competitive in an Ulster Championship. Donegal will have a field day against the defence....our Centre Back was top scorer in the league from play.....maybe being old school is a problem in GAA, but id like my CB to sit back and dictate the play rather than go forward. Holla is a talent, but hes not a CB, move him to the wing, and leave Clarke or Faulkner CB.

We got out of jail v Down, when between Ray Galligan and their poor shooting, they spurned 3 goal chances that I would be expecting an intercounty team to take 9 times out of 10.....against Roscommmon in the Hyde Galligan again made a top class save and again v Tipp he saved us....when they had 14 men.....add to that, our starting FB line v Tipp all kicked wides.

Id be off to Mullinalaghta to get Mickey Graham in as County manager, because I have absolutely no faith in the ability of McGlennan to get any silverware out of what I regard as a very talented group of players, who with a bit of organisation and structure, can at least compete in Ulster and Div 1 next year

Some difference in intensity and physicality of Galway and Dublin to the Cavan v Roscmmon game.Neither team will last in Division 1 next year with defending like that.

McVeety was very good, going off with hamstring. Doubt now for donegal
    Mackey tried hard, Johnston showed well when he came on. Other then that very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Some difference in intensity and physicality of Galway and Dublin to the Cavan v Roscmmon game.Neither team will last in Division 1 next year with defending like that.

McVeety was very good, going off with hamstring. Doubt now for donegal
    Mackey tried hard, Johnston showed well when he came on. Other then that very average.

I thought there was a way better pace to the D2 final. By comparison the D1 final was a pitched battle played at a slow pace with two teams massing defenses and sitting back. Particularly disappointing because Dublin are capable of much better football than they showed. We know full well what Galway’s limitations are under Walsh at this stage so Cavan or Roscommon won’t be losing much sleep about facing them next spring.

Why McVeety was left on was beyond me. Him losing a 50:50 after he was banjaxed led directly to one of our goals.

Syferus wrote: »
    I thought there was a way better pace to the D2 final. By comparison the D1 final was a pitched battle played at a slow pace with two teams massing defenses and sitting back. Particularly disappointing because Dublin are capable of much better football than they showed. We know full well what Galway’s limitations are under Walsh at this stage so Cavan or Roscommon won’t be losing much sleep about facing them next spring.

Why McVeety was left on was beyond me. Him losing a 50:50 after he was banjaxed led directly to one of our goals.

It was obvious when he got up the first time, that he was gone.....it was also obvious that he wanted to stay on....in that instance the physio and manager should have taken him off, and taken the decision out of his hands.....he was hobbling on the sideline in obvious distress urging the lads on when he probably should have been getting treatment....I just hope hes back in time for Donegal

It wasn't that slowed paced. Intense. Gearoid McKiernan could learn from Damien Comer about showing some determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Syferus wrote:

He was clearly in pain, it went on for too long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

It dont go well going forward. Dropped way too any short, and too many wides. Problem with the way we play is that the defense cant be relied upon to help us out if our forwards have an off day.

Mattie has a lot to do for us to be competitive in an Ulster Championship. Donegal will have a field day against the defence....our Centre Back was top scorer in the league from play.....maybe being old school is a problem in GAA, but id like my CB to sit back and dictate the play rather than go forward. Holla is a talent, but hes not a CB, move him to the wing, and leave Clarke or Faulkner CB.

We got out of jail v Down, when between Ray Galligan and their poor shooting, they spurned 3 goal chances that I would be expecting an intercounty team to take 9 times out of 10.....against Roscommmon in the Hyde Galligan again made a top class save and again v Tipp he saved us....when they had 14 men.....add to that, our starting FB line v Tipp all kicked wides.

Id be off to Mullinalaghta to get Mickey Graham in as County manager, because I have absolutely no faith in the ability of McGlennan to get any silverware out of what I regard as a very talented group of players, who with a bit of organisation and structure, can at least compete in Ulster and Div 1 next year

Mickey Graham - is that the best you can think of for these lads!? Going for the cheap option has been our problem. You look at the results McStay is getting in Roscommon and Kerins in Tipp. We need to get in a manager who costs a bit but has experience.

I still believe we have our most talented bunch of players in a while but we're not giving them the manager they deserve. Terry did his bit and got us competitive but we need a bit of panache in there now and Mattie doesn't have it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Marty Clarke's involvement with the U20s turns out. They could have the right management team for the seniors.

Bar Johnston yesterday, none of the subs added anything and they were poor decisions by McGleenan. I actually feel Mackey's place is on the bench. He is fading in matches when we need him most. We should be throwing him on after 35 to 40 minutes to lift the crowd and run at tired defences.

I also think dropping Gearoid and leaving him as an impact sub would give him the kick up the arse he needs at this stage.

Caoimhin O'Reilly needs to be left in around the goals to do damage. Far too often he was receiving the ball out the pitch. The same could be said of Jelly. I find it admirable that he's finally tracking back and not standing still but he showed how good he is at tackling in some of the goals yesterday.

I think we could be in for a short Summer again. I'm a realist. I didn't think we'd beat Roscommon yesterday and I don't think we'll beat Donegal. The talent is there though to make the super 8s through the backdoor but not with this manager IMO. Fair play to him for getting them promoted but I saw enough of him last season and in recent games for my mind to be made up - he's tactically naïve and poor at substitutions.

I just hope now that they don't rush back poor McVeety and buckle him.

Advertisement