Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Mickey Graham - is that the best you can think of for these lads!? Going for the cheap option has been our problem. You look at the results McStay is getting in Roscommon and Kerins in Tipp. We need to get in a manager who costs a bit but has experience.

I still believe we have our most talented bunch of players in a while but we're not giving them the manager they deserve. Terry did his bit and got us competitive but we need a bit of panache in there now and Mattie doesn't have it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Marty Clarke's involvement with the U20s turns out. They could have the right management team for the seniors.

Bar Johnston yesterday, none of the subs added anything and they were poor decisions by McGleenan. I actually feel Mackey's place is on the bench. He is fading in matches when we need him most. We should be throwing him on after 35 to 40 minutes to lift the crowd and run at tired defences.

I also think dropping Gearoid and leaving him as an impact sub would give him the kick up the arse he needs at this stage.

Caoimhin O'Reilly needs to be left in around the goals to do damage. Far too often he was receiving the ball out the pitch. The same could be said of Jelly. I find it admirable that he's finally tracking back and not standing still but he showed how good he is at tackling in some of the goals yesterday.

I think we could be in for a short Summer again. I'm a realist. I didn't think we'd beat Roscommon yesterday and I don't think we'll beat Donegal. The talent is there though to make the super 8s through the backdoor but not with this manager IMO. Fair play to him for getting them promoted but I saw enough of him last season and in recent games for my mind to be made up - he's tactically naïve and poor at substitutions.

I just hope now that they don't rush back poor McVeety and buckle him.

The best realistic option I can think of is Graham. Whos realistic? Id love James Horan, but hes not realistic.

After winning promotion, Gerry Brady and the County Board will retain Mattie. They will patch up McVeety and risk his summer for Donegal.....while i dont think its his hamstring, its definitely more than a knock.

Mackey is only back in since about a week or so before the league started, so hes only working back to fitness. His game time was actually one of the only things McGleenan got right.

From what I seen yesterday, we definitely had a squad of players to win the game, what we lacked was a defensive system to do it, and a lack of tactical awareness. Something as simple as a half back sitting in front of the full back line when we go forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Very entertaining game yesterday. We showed what we are good at and what we are terrible at

Mattie got it wrong on the line ... Gearoid and Clarke were terrible . Faulkner was cleaned out all day long and no changes there ...

Seems to eager to whip caoimhin reilly off very early for some reason

As said our bench bar johnston offered nothing
    obviously disappointed with the result but pleased we actually put a performance in at Croke park ..

I'm in the minority thinking we will beat donegal
    Roll on the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

A huge problem we have is most of our backs don't play there for club. So they don't have the instinct. One example was for a goal Enda Flanagan marking too far in front and caught behind. Is our goalkeeper vocal? Murray came on and looked comfortable defending. Philips a big loss because he's an out and out defender. Flanagan a forward, Mcloughlin a forward, Martin Reilly a forward, Oisin Kiernan a forward.

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Very entertaining game yesterday. We showed what we are good at and what we are terrible at

Mattie got it wrong on the line ... Gearoid and Clarke were terrible . Faulkner was cleaned out all day long and no changes there ...

Seems to eager to whip caoimhin reilly off very early for some reason

As said our bench bar johnston offered nothing
    obviously disappointed with the result but pleased we actually put a performance in at Croke park ..

I'm in the minority thinking we will beat donegal
    Roll on the summer

I thought Clarke had brilliant second half. Really drove us on. Gearoid has never once showed up for a big game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭rrs

Wouldn't say he was brilliant, he was ok. Struggled a bit when Enda Smith came on for Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They should spend the next few weeks learning how to kick the ball.
    Was it 6 or 7 straight to the goalkeeper from inside 30 yards.?
    They also need a free taker.

A huge problem we have is most of our backs don't play there for club. So they don't have the instinct. One example was for a goal Enda Flanagan marking too far in front and caught behind. Is our goalkeeper vocal? Murray came on and looked comfortable defending. Philips a big loss because he's an out and out defender. Flanagan a forward, Mcloughlin a forward, Martin Reilly a forward, Oisin Kiernan a forward.

Galligan is definitely vocal.....I heard him in the first half from the 45 on the hill end.

The management is a common theme....they are picking the team and making all the changes....the players can only play in the positions in which they are put.

Mattie has a lot to learn....my concern is that hes too stubborn to admit it....I heard enough stories from the backroom team that left after last year, and McGleenan is doing nothing to convince me that the stories were untrue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The best realistic option I can think of is Graham. Whos realistic? Id love James Horan, but hes not realistic.

After winning promotion, Gerry Brady and the County Board will retain Mattie. They will patch up McVeety and risk his summer for Donegal.....while i dont think its his hamstring, its definitely more than a knock.

Mackey is only back in since about a week or so before the league started, so hes only working back to fitness. His game time was actually one of the only things McGleenan got right.

From what I seen yesterday, we definitely had a squad of players to win the game, what we lacked was a defensive system to do it, and a lack of tactical awareness. Something as simple as a half back sitting in front of the full back line when we go forward.

I thought Mattie was getting Mackey's game time right and had finally realized he's a man we need to spring from the bench but then he started him in the last two games.

I've no doubt Mattie will be retained and, to be honest, he probably deserves it after taking them up but I don't expect to go too far under him in the Summer. Kerins easily out-thought him last year in Breffni.

As for realistic candidates, Tony McEntee from Armagh would be my choice. I always thought Justin McNulty would have done a great job with Cavan and I think McEntee would. Pete McGrath also did a good job in Fermanagh and Louth have him now. We would have been a better pick for him than them.

As I also said, I'm intrigued to see how the U20 management of Downes and Marty Clarke do. That could be a good pairing for the seniors eventually.
    They should spend the next few weeks learning how to kick the ball.
    Was it 6 or 7 straight to the goalkeeper from inside 30 yards.?
    They also need a free taker.

The frees have been a problem for years now. Martin Reilly is probably the best striker of the ball but doesn't seem to perform under any sort of pressure. Croke Park is a bigger pitch than our lads would be used to.

It didn't end well for Pete McGrath with Fermanagh . The players voted him out, he stayed on too long. Justin McNulty played dull defensive football with Laois. Colm Begley and a few others said it wasn't enjoyable. They had a few decent results all the same.

Mickey Graham would be as good a pick then those listed. Michael McDermott the Ramor Manager either. Inter County experinece with Clare. They reached a Munster fina,l and Kilmurray reached All ireland club final against Galls.

rrs wrote: »
    It didn't end well for Pete McGrath with Fermanagh . The players voted him out, he stayed on too long. Justin McNulty played dull defensive football with Laois. Colm Begley and a few others said it wasn't enjoyable. They had a few decent results all the same.

Mickey Graham would be as good a pick then those listed. Michael McDermott the Ramor Manager either. Inter County experinece with Clare. They reached a Munster fina,l and Kilmurray reached All ireland club final against Galls.

McNulty did well with a very poor Laois team. Look where they ended up. McGrath had some good years with Fermanagh.

Would you not even look at Jason O'Reilly above Graham if going for a pauper's choice from within the county?

I still think McEntee should have been approached re Cavan long ago and would be the pick of the bunch.

We've lost too many good players off squads over the years. I'm sure anyone here could pick a starting 15 that wont be involved as good as the one that started yesterday.

For example, I see people debating who will mark McBrearty or Murphy. Rory Dunne was your man for that but isn't involved. I'd hoped he would be full back for years.

Gerry Smith from Lavey not involved this year either. Colm Smith from Cootehill would kick a score better than most of the forwards who started yesterday.

We need a big name that players want to work with that can get the best players in the county on the pitch for us.

• Advertisement

Heard enough about McNulty, that I wouldn't want him as Cavan manager. He was brought in with Castlerahan as coach a few years ago and had them playing extremely defensive. Telling players not to attack from half back

McEntee was approached before McGleenan last year but turned it down as he was staying in his role with mayo.

Pete McGrath done a solid job at the start with Fermanagh but a more younger manager would be needed. A lot of the Cavan wouldn't have beem born when he won all irelands with Down.

rrs wrote: »
    Heard enough about McNulty, that I wouldn't want him as Cavan manager. He was brought in with Castlerahan as coach a few years ago and had them playing extremely defensive. Telling players not to attack from half back

McEntee was approached before McGleenan last year but turned it down as he was staying in his role with mayo.

Pete McGrath done a solid job at the start with Fermanagh but a more younger manager would be needed. A lot of the Cavan wouldn't have beem born when he won all irelands with Down.

I heard the McNulty rumours as well, and I was told that McEntee wouldnt take a job with another Ulster team

Was wondering yesterday where is Buchannan and Michael Argue ?
    It was days like yesterday when Mossy was a big loss round the middle

Argue was in the Hogan Stand on Sunday so it looks like hes not part of the panel......if he was and is injured, then surely he would have been with the players?

No idea re Buchanaan

And re Mossy.......McGleenan just didnt ask him back in

Argue isn't part of the panel. He left after the league last year along with Hayes and Jack Brady.

Argue was in the Hogan Stand on Sunday so it looks like hes not part of the panel......if he was and is injured, then surely he would have been with the players?

No idea re Buchanaan

And re Mossy.......McGleenan just didnt ask him back in

Buchanan is out long term with injury.

McVeety now looks a serious doubt for the Donegal game. I’d prefer he was wrapped in cotton wool and kept for the qualifiers to be honest.

I think people are in cuckoo land realistically speaking about us beating Donegal.

If we keep the score line respectable, I’ll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

What happened to Barry Rielly seen him few years against Roscommon and he had a wand of a left peg.

What happened to Barry Rielly seen him few years against Roscommon and he had a wand of a left peg.

He was dropped off the panel. He was a bit hot and cold - great one week, poor the next. Had some problems with injuries too.

Not sure now if he wants to commit. He's definitely a better footballer than some of the lads that are on the panel, even than some starting.

That said, in Cavan at the minute we can field a team as good as our 15 starters who won't commit but that's not much use to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan_King wrote: »

That said, in Cavan at the minute we can field a team as good as our 15 starters who won't commit but that's not much use to anyone.

Go for it.....

Yevon wrote: »
    I'd also be interested to hear who our second set of 15, Division 1 standard footballers are.

I didn't say Division 1 standard. I said a panel as good as our starting 15.

Martin Dunne (Cavan Gales)
    Eugene Keating (Cuchulainns)
    David Givney (Mountnugent)
    Rory Dunne (Redhills)
    James McEnroe (Ramor)
    Jack Brady (Ramor)
    John McCutcheon (Cootehill)
    Colm Smith (Cootheill)
    Gerry Smith (Lavey)
    Niall McKiernan (Lacken)
    Niall McDermott (Ballinagh)
    Joe Dillon (Kingscourt)
    Barry Reilly (Kingscourt)
    Joshua Hayes (Cootehill)
    Tom Hayes (Cootehill)
    Mossy Corr (Denn)
    Michael Argue (Bailieboro)

Without even attempting to put them into positions, there's 17 lads without me even spending five minutes thinking about it.

I don't want to run down lads that started/came on last Sunday but there are lads there that have been outplaying their club mates who played on Sunday for years.

I saw mention of free takers above - Niall McDermott, Colm Smith and Barry Reilly are all on that list straight away.

• Advertisement

Well our lads are in Division 1, therefore any side as good as them would need to be Division 1 standard too.

A lot of the lads you've mentioned there are as good as some of what's on the panel at the moment, some are a bit better.

Would a team of 15 from that bunch beat our starting 15? Not a hope.

Do you think we’ll be in Division One long? Again, I’d love a few years up there but I’m realistic.

I can’t see how you can say that team wouldn’t have a hope of beating present team.

The forwards particularly are a lot stronger and Rory Dunne was arguably the best full back we had in years. Man of the match on Donaghy in ‘13 quarter final.

Gerry Smith was our most exciting player last year. A real pity he didn’t go back this year.

Mossy Corr would bully our lads around the middle who think they are big men but have been found wanting in the big games.

I certainly think a team from that starting 15 would have a lot more firepower than what started and finished the game last weekend.

It's not 2013 anymore though, Rory Dunne was never the same after the injury in London. He was brilliant though I'll give you that.

As for Gerry Smith, he started out well but he wasn't a patch on McVeety who was undoubtedly our best player overall last year. Both struggled with injury come championship.

Mossy was a fantastic servant and I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Would he make a big difference to what's there? Questionable.

The lads you have named are all decent, some I'd love to see back. But none of them are as good as the core group that carry the current Cavan side.

Nobody from your list that would oust Ray Galligan, Faulkner, McLoughlin, McVeety, Clarke, Ciaran Brady, Gearoid, Martin Reilly or Mackey from the team.

Dunne is a better full back than Faulkner. McLoughlin has been in and out of the team for years. Hayes arguably better. McLoughlin certainly nothing special or he’d be a regular starter. McVeety is our top player at the minute I’d agree. Ciaran Brady wasn’t a regular starter until this year. Gearoid has better days and is struggling for fitness/form.

Mossy Corr was invaluable to the team for me. The big clumsy looking eejit who looked awkward and could get away with a bad tackle that others couldn’t. He was a real hard man too. Could take a hit and give it back, unlike a lot of the pretenders we have.

You have to remember Gerry Smith was in his first year at senior level. McVeety has been there for 5 years now since his debut in ‘13. I certainly hope Smith is a player we’ll see back in there. A huge talent. I remember watching him when he was only 16 or 17 for Lavey against the Gaels and he marked Niall Smith out of a match who was then a county player.

You talk about the spine of a team. Dunne Full back, McEnroe Centre half back, Cormac Daly or Buchanan midfield with Argue or Mossy, you could have your pick of Centre half forwards from Brady/McDermott/Reilly with Keating or Givney at full forward. That for me is a better spine than what started in those positions at the weekend.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic. I think the point is fair that we have plenty of talent in the county who aren’t interested in commiting, particularly amongst forwards. No offence to some of the lads who started last weekend but some of them I’ve watched for years at club level and I’ve never thought of them as county standard forwards and I still don’t.

Josh Hayes arguably better than McLoughlin. Based on what exactly? McLoughlin fell out of the team due to injury. Before that he was a mainstay. Consistently chosen to mark the best of the opposition. Hayes had a handful of starts and a lot of substitution appearances but could never nail down a starting position.

Rory Dunne is not currently a better full back than Faulkner who has had some excellent games for us over the past 2 years. Dunne is ravaged by injury and would be there if he was able, he left because of injuries.

The team you've put out would be county standard for sure. Maybe Division 3. But to say they are as good as our starting 15, and I fully admit there are weaknesses in our team, is typical Cavan supporter delusion where if you're off the squad or on the bench you are suddenly All Star material.

McLoughlin constantly chosen to mark oppositions best player? Name me once apart from Jamie Clarke one time where he resorted to pulling the jersey off him? Fergal Flanagan became our man marker and then Faulkner.

Colm Cooper.

Wasn't really a man marking job. Cooper played out the field a lot and McLoughlin attacked a lot that game.

I think Jason is a great player but not a specialist corner back. Loves to attack.

Not sure what game you were watching. McLoughlin stuck to Cooper almost the entire game. Cooper was playing on the 40 but just because he wasn't playing inside forward doesn't mean it wasn't a man marking job.

McLoughlin developed more into a raiding corner back when Hyland began to develop the attack more from 2015 onwards.

Do you also think that Josh Hayes is arguably better than McLoughlin?

No not a chance. A lot of names mentioned were 30 plus. I'd love to see Givney back and Gerry Smith back. Gerry doing accountancy exams and they are tough. As for Rory Dunne being mentioned for full back. Not a hope. Injury killed him.

No not a chance. A lot of names mentioned were 30 plus. I'd love to see Givney back and Gerry Smith back. Gerry doing accountancy exams and they are tough. As for Rory Dunne being mentioned for full back. Not a hope. Injury killed him.

No they weren't. Other than Corr, Martin Dunne and possibly Colm Smith, none of that panel I named were over 30. Martin Dunne is even touch and go. Rory Dunne was on the U21 team in 2010 so isn't even 30 yet.
    Josh Hayes arguably better than McLoughlin. Based on what exactly? McLoughlin fell out of the team due to injury. Before that he was a mainstay. Consistently chosen to mark the best of the opposition. Hayes had a handful of starts and a lot of substitution appearances but could never nail down a starting position.

Rory Dunne is not currently a better full back than Faulkner who has had some excellent games for us over the past 2 years. Dunne is ravaged by injury and would be there if he was able, he left because of injuries.

The team you've put out would be county standard for sure. Maybe Division 3. But to say they are as good as our starting 15, and I fully admit there are weaknesses in our team, is typical Cavan supporter delusion where if you're off the squad or on the bench you are suddenly All Star material.

I think if you take Mackey and Martin Reilly out of our starting 15, it begins to look very ordinary. I'd even argue that Martin Reilly is not being used correctly. A man that can strike a ball like him should be in the forwards where he initially started out.

Mackey also shouldn't be starting matches in my opinion. For the past two or three years, he should be coming on around the 40 minute mark.

I'm not going to start calling out lads as its good to see them give commitment but there are lads who started last Sunday that I've been watching for years and never thought I would see near a county team.

Martin Dunne would have been U21 in 2010 also, but dropped off the panel early in the year. Don't think he would add much. Needs the ball handed to him on a plate. At least Caoimhin Reilly wins his own ball.

Conor Smith and James Smith from the U20s, good prospects. Smith is built like a Senior, despite being only out of Minor.

Just looking at club reports in the celt this week ... We could do the opposite that we did with Galligan and put Conor Gilsenan full forward ...i see he scored 3-1 last week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Im surprised Ray Cullivan hasnt got a mention, did he get a fair go last year?
    He's been outstanding on the club scene the last few years.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Im surprised Ray Cullivan hasnt got a mention, did he get a fair go last year?
    He's been outstanding on the club scene the last few years.

Cullivan was injured and playing through injury most of last year. He didn’t play in most of Lavey’s championship games and missed a good portion of the league.

Apparently he is fully back fit now so will be one to keep an eye on. A serious man to catch a ball but I didn’t list him as his conditioning hasn’t looked up to it for intercounty football.

He is also a lad would be on the wrong side of 30. He, Mackey and Ronan Flanagan all played on the one U17 Aussie Rules team!

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/late-dominance-clinches-series-1.429049?mode=amp

Advertisement