Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Christ another beating at the hands Donegal for our under 20s
    Not really looking forward to the draw in the morning

Not even a beating, an annihilation. I was expecting a lot from Downes and Marty Clarke. Was that a weak panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

And its off to Wicklow we go
    No disrespect to wicklow but if we cant win this comfortably we are fecked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

https://soundcloud.com/we-are-cavan

Interviews at 38 and 44 (Mackey & McGleenan)

Mattie, heaping pressure on McVeety, like all good managers should

A lot of time spent on the issue of losing players, which to be fair is very relevant, but not enough focus on the lack of a defensive system and the fact that our full back line is looking to get forward at every available opportunity

Its Donohue, and Mickey Brennan....they get Paul Fitzpatrick in from time to time as far as I know

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Not even a beating, an annihilation. I was expecting a lot from Downes and Marty Clarke. Was that a weak panel?

Theres a few names on there from last years Minor panel, and a few that I have no clue about, the fact that the 2 best forwards on that panel were on the bench though, suggests that it was pretty strong.

A sub came on (Daly) and got a red card, but the game was long over at that stage

And its off to Wicklow we go
    No disrespect to wicklow but if we cant win this comfortably we are fecked

You'd think that but I don't think we can see ourselves as comfortably beating anyone. Remember a few years back when Westmeath came to Breffni and hadn't won in over a year and gave us a scare...

The Carlow and Longford results at the weekend showed you can't take any team for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Anyone know why we pulled out of the Leinster JFC the day before the Longford game??

Hammar wrote: »
    Anyone know why we pulled out of the Leinster JFC the day before the Longford game??

I don't agree with the decision but I'd imagine its because we are that short of players at senior level that we are playing lads who should be with the juniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭rrs

Donegal u20s lost by 1 pt to Derry yesterday. They are human after all. Cavan shouldn't be getting a hammering like that underage.

Mattie gives even more of an impression that he’s winging it.

CAVAN: James Farrelly; Killian Brady, Padraig Faulkner, Enda Flanagan; Ciaran Brady, Conor Moynagh, Martin Reilly; Sean McCormack, Killian Clarke; Bryan Magee, Gearoid McKiernan, Oisin Kiernan; Caoimhin O'Reilly, Dara McVeety, Seanie Johnston

Five changes including changing Galligan and bringing in a lad to play midfield who hasn’t featured this year to date.

Mattie gives even more of an impression that he’s winging it.

CAVAN: James Farrelly; Killian Brady, Padraig Faulkner, Enda Flanagan; Ciaran Brady, Conor Moynagh, Martin Reilly; Sean McCormack, Killian Clarke; Bryan Magee, Gearoid McKiernan, Oisin Kiernan; Caoimhin O'Reilly, Dara McVeety, Seanie Johnston

Five changes including changing Galligan and bringing in a lad to play midfield who hasn’t featured this year to date.

Our best full back in MF, our best MF on the 40, one of the best keepers all year on the bench, and our best forward beside him.

Surely he cant be in charge after this season.

Fitzpatrick in the Celt has a valid argument re player turnover and wants all these players contacted to see why they are not involved.....he should be expanding that search to involve Finbar Jimmy Higgins and Maguire to see why they left after last year.

The chap is out of his depth

• Advertisement

Our best full back in MF, our best MF on the 40, one of the best keepers all year on the bench, and our best forward beside him.

Surely he cant be in charge after this season.

Fitzpatrick in the Celt has a valid argument re player turnover and wants all these players contacted to see why they are not involved.....he should be expanding that search to involve Finbar Jimmy Higgins and Maguire to see why they left after last year.

The chap is out of his depth

I heard the lads left because it was Mattie's way or no way. That said, you have to look at the number of players that left too. Even lads only new to the panel like Gerry Smith.

I don't have any particular issue with some of the other moves. I think Mackey's future is as an impact sub and I've thought that for a while. Why should we be taking him off or watching his influence wane in a match when we need him most? I'd be throwing him on around 40 or 45 minutes to run at tired defences.

McKiernan hasn't worked at midfield and the 40 could also be his best position. I think Clarke is at midfield simply because there's no-one else. I think he'd be more suited to centre half back than full back but Faulkner has admitted he'd prefer to be further out the pitch.

I don't wish the lads any ill favour but its hard to continually look at a starting 15 where I still argue there are 15 lads as good, if not better, in the county who won't play for McGleenan.

The full forward line has serious potential:

Caoimhin O'Reilly, Dara McVeety, Seanie Johnston

Seanie will have fond memories of Wicklow in Breffni in 2010. One of the best halves of football I've ever seen from a Cavan player.

Regardless of the positional switches we should be beating Wicklow or any other div 4 team by a dozen points or more .....
    Tonight might tell a bit about the character of this team

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

What a terrible second half performance

Seemed to be no effort in 2nd half at all
    Heres hoping for a favourable draw monday

Seemed to be no effort in 2nd half at all
    Heres hoping for a favourable draw monday

In fairness it’s difficult to keep momentum when you’re that far ahead and start to empty the bench.

Would have liked a bit more of a test to be honest. I was expecting more from Wicklow.

soap1978 wrote: »
    What a terrible second half performance

It was terrible overall.......14 man blanket against Wicklow......from one extreme of having no defensive system, to one where we have no attacking system. Yeah we scored 2-16 or whatever it was but Wicklow were beyond woeful.

McVeety was back to the carrying the ball way too much, but he got away with it because they were so bad....playing against a blanket, you have to use the wings, with fast ball movement, and player movement, but there was very little.

As for Seanie, in the playmaking role....the game was slow enough as it was, but when he got the ball it slowed even more....every pass with the inside of the boot a max of 10 yards to a man in space......I could have done that.

That game helped nobody.....I suspect Down will be a much stiffer test, but that drubbing against Donegal may affect them mentally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

It was terrible overall.......14 man blanket against Wicklow......from one extreme of having no defensive system, to one where we have no attacking system. Yeah we scored 2-16 or whatever it was but Wicklow were beyond woeful.

McVeety was back to the carrying the ball way too much, but he got away with it because they were so bad....playing against a blanket, you have to use the wings, with fast ball movement, and player movement, but there was very little.

As for Seanie, in the playmaking role....the game was slow enough as it was, but when he got the ball it slowed even more....every pass with the inside of the boot a max of 10 yards to a man in space......I could have done that.

That game helped nobody.....I suspect Down will be a much stiffer test, but that drubbing against Donegal may affect them mentally

It was a chronic game of football, never would have said it was championship level. Seanie slowed the whole thing down. Must have been so frustrating being Caoibhinn Reilly in the full forward line. Ran hsi legs off but the ball was never going in. Should have just pressed up on them and we would have gone to town on them. I would say down are licking their chops at the prospect of playing us, there is nothing at all in our team that would strike fear into the heart of anyone. We used to have players you could get out of your seat for, not any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So it's Brewster Park with that huge friend of Cavan, Cormac Reilly, in charge.
    How is that man allowed to referee a Cavan match with his history?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Why is the game not in Breffni?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Seanie will have fond memories of Wicklow in Breffni in 2010. One of the best halves of football I've ever seen from a Cavan player.

That game was hilarious. We were dead and buried, two men down and whatever row between Carr and Johnson meant our best player was left on the bench.

I think Johnson only came on for the last 10-15 minutes when it looked like we were completely toast and then proceeded to score at will, including an incredible point practically from the goal line at the town end.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Potato quality highlights are on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfg5WYQu74A

Team

Farrelly
    Gunner
    Faulkner
    Flanagan
    Holla
    Moynagh
    Reilly
    Magee
    McCormack
    Kiernan
    McKiernan
    Murray
    Bradley
    McVeety
    Johnston

Clarke injured.....Galligan and Mackey not starting. Caoimhin dropped. Mattie showing he hasn't a clue

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Potato quality highlights are on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfg5WYQu74A

Ah thanks for that. Brings back memories!!!

On to Brewster today, fingers crossed for a decent performance. Down created three clear goal chances in the league- which Galligan did well to keep out (why is he dropped again???) so not all plain sailing.

However, they have been on the slide since then and we really need to be putting them away.

Team

Farrelly
    Gunner
    Faulkner
    Flanagan
    Holla
    Moynagh
    Reilly
    Magee
    McCormack
    Kiernan
    McKiernan
    Murray
    Bradley
    McVeety
    Johnston

Clarke injured.....Galligan and Mackey not starting. Caoimhin dropped. Mattie showing he hasn't a clue

I’ve said it before and will say it again, Mackey not starting is fine with me. He’s not fit for 70 minutes so is better as an impact sub.

We don’t know if this is the definite starting team but if Caoimhin doesn’t start, it’s madness.

I’m surprised with Galligan not starting also but apparently Farrelly did a good job on the kick outs in Wicklow. Wicklow apparently played a lot of high ball in on top of the full back line and he coped with it all well.

The problem I’m hearing Mattie is having is that he’s Mr Positive making promises he can’t keep to lads re starting matches. With the eve of each new match, he has 30+ lads expecting to start!

A win but what a shambles... we struggled against a Down team with arguably its two best players black carded and down to 14 men, we were given a gift of a goal and then two stupid red cards at the end.

People said it to me all through the league but Mattie is a very lucky manager.

A win but what a shambles... we struggled against a Down team with arguably its two best players black carded and down to 14 men, we were given a gift of a goal and then two stupid red cards at the end.

People said it to me all through the league but Mattie is a very lucky manager.

That was an omnishambles.

14/ 15 men behind the ball, yet a poor enough Down side was able to pick their scores. No intensity; no tackling. The worst defensive set up I’ve seen in 10 years.

It stifled any potential to attack and didn’t stop Down from scoring.

Down threw that away. Two foolish black cards, a senseless red and a goalkeeping error.

We could get massacred in the next round by a decent side.

I’m not one for melodrama but that was clueless.

Wasn't at the game but hearing it was our worst performance in years
    Id prefer not to be in the draw monday playing that kind of football and playing it badly

Wasn't at the game but hearing it was our worst performance in years
    Id prefer not to be in the draw monday playing that kind of football and playing it badly

Worst since losing to Tipp at home in Division three back before Terry got us on the up.

Woeful. I have no problem with a defensive set up as long as it does it well.

This “system” doesn’t prevent the opposition play but certainly prohibits us from playing any sort of football.

We got through by sheer luck and Down’s ill discipline.

• Advertisement

The problem is Mattie’s luck. He has now got us promoted to Division 1 and two wins in the qualifiers is our best performance since 2013 I’d imagine.

In 2012, Terry first introduced the defensive system to the seniors but we’re now at it six years and we still can’t manage to counter with a bit of speed.

Advertisement