Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭rrs

Mattie McKenna is a good midfielder.did his cruciate last December against Kildare
    Turloc Mooney had good ability under age to be a midfielder or half forward. Injuries and consistency seems to have held him back.
    Thomas Galligan as good as any midfielder in the county.

All fast athletic players. Paul Graham from the Gaels wouldn't commit or Maloney Derham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

rrs wrote: »
    Mattie McKenna is a good midfielder.did his cruciate last December against Kildare
    Turloc Mooney had good ability under age to be a midfielder or half forward. Injuries and consistency seems to have held him back.
    Thomas Galligan as good as any midfielder in the county.

All fast athletic players. Paul Graham from the Gaels wouldn't commit or Maloney Derham

Best midfielder in the county is probably Ray Cullivan but he lacks the mobility needed for intercounty. The mark suits him down to the ground though. I've never seen a man like him to jump in the middle of a huddle of players and emerge with the ball when he lands.

He lacks height too, along with lacking mobility for County midfield. He has a serious leap , but too small for Inter County midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Manager is gone I'm after hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

I've had worse Wednesdays

Some interesting points on the WeAreCavan podcast about McGleenan leaving.

Apparently Horan didn't say he wasn't interested in the Cavan job last time around. He said it would be hard logistically but the lads saw that more as a come and get me plea of sorts for the county board to find a way to make it work.

Also Jim McGuinness named ten players he'd want on the Cavan panel if he were to be interested.

All the talk is of local men with Mickey Graham and Jason O'Reilly leading the charge.

I'd prefer to see a Horan or McEntee in there with maybe Jason as assistant with a view to the future and taking over.

The county board have said they'll have it settled by August 20th so I expect to see a local man take the job.

Mickey is apparently next in line for the Longford job so why not let him take that and see how he goes.

Martin Corry be a great appointment if you could get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Martin Corry be a great appointment if you could get him.

Is he the buck thats with Castlerahan?

I see they beat the Gaels, in a real game of 2 halves last night. Great Entertainment

• Advertisement

Is he the buck thats with Castlerahan?

I see they beat the Gaels, in a real game of 2 halves last night. Great Entertainment

Yeah that's him. From what I heard top class. However he employed by Monaghan County Board so could be non runner.

Cheers.......I heard Vinny Corrys brother was with them but I didnt hear what his first name was

Lot of big names being mentioned.
    McGuinness, Horan, McEntee, O Rourke and Connerton as well as all the locals

Lot of big names being mentioned.
    McGuinness, Horan, McEntee, O Rourke and Connerton as well as all the locals

Looks like Jayo or Peter if the Celt is to be believed. I'd hope its Jayo if he can get players back and a few more Gaels lads in.

Will need a good backroom team though. I'd expect him to try and get someone has been an intercounty manager before.

Banty wouldn't be the worst man but not sure he'd do assistant!

Some win last night for Killygarry. Why has Connor Smith never being called up to county?

He will probaly be in involved next year, he was with the U20s this years,, only 20 so has plenty of time. He is a very good player, just a bit on the small side.

Rumour that Jayo has pulled out of the running for the Cavan job

Rumour that Jayo has pulled out of the running for the Cavan job

Talk of Aidan O Rourke with Poacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Aidan didn't do much with Louth.

Aidan didn't do much with Louth.

Pep would struggle there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pep would strugglr there.

He might struggle in Cavan too. Not exactly top of the pile.

Mickey Graham, Aidan O Rourke and Michael McDermott interviewed for the job. It will be announced by next Monday. Dermot McCabe and Martin Corey with Graham.

Mickey Graham it seems and could be announced tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Mickey seems to have done good things at club level hopefully if it's him he'll put a strong backroom team around him and gets the backing of the players
    Whether he's the right man for the job remains to be seen

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Mickey seems to have done good things at club level hopefully if it's him he'll put a strong backroom team around him and gets the backing of the players

Hopefully the Gaels lads will go in now. Especially his relations.

cavan4sam wrote: »

Corey a great addition. McCabe I be sceptical of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Yevon wrote: »
    You would imagine this would have been a stronger more appealing ticket if McCabe was replaced by literally any other former player in Cavan.

As an outsider looking in I would've been of the assumption players would jump at the chance to play for an all star from their own county?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Yevon wrote: »
    You would imagine this would have been a stronger more appealing ticket if McCabe was replaced by literally any other former player in Cavan.

Best of luck Mickey. I know the county board is getting hammered in some sections for not appointing the Jim Mc Guinness / Mickey Harte / jim Gavin troika (with wee Marty McHugh back in some role) despite them all clearly wanting to manage Cavan :D

Personally, I am happy with this appointment. Cavan man with unquestioned passion for football and has done well at club level. Will know the Cavan scene inside out and hopefully players will respond to that.

Re: Mc Cabe: I don't get that one, unless he's changed massively in the last few years.

If Graham is ratified tonight, the first thing he needs to do is book a flight for Tuesday morning to London to get David Givney back playing next year (if anyway possible). And then he can tip out to Ballyhaise to talk to Kevin Tierney!

He needs to reach out to players who could make a difference at inter county level and do what is needed to get them back onto the panel. None of this "if people want to play, they can".

While a lot of people bang on about tactics, the key thing is for a manager to have his 15 best players from the county on the park (backed up by a competitive panel) who want to play for their manager and their team and walk through walls for them.

Oh, and we need a serious improvement on strength and conditioning. I don't want to name names, but a few of our lads looked about as fit as me during the season. We got away with it in a poor division 2 this year, but will be taken to the cleaners next year if we are at that level of fitness.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Hi all, I have a few questions that lads closer to the football at home (I'm out foreign) will hopefully be able to answer.

1.) Why not look to Peter R or J Higgins to assist? Seems to be a few issues with people over McCabe joining the backroom staff.

2.)What kind of football does Graham like to play?

3.) Giveny and Tierney mentioned by the previous poster as ones to get back involved. What other players are good enough and not playing county due to previous issues?

Fingers crossed he can do a job

• Advertisement

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a few questions that lads closer to the football at home (I'm out foreign) will hopefully be able to answer.

1.) Why not look to Peter R or J Higgins to assist? Seems to be a few issues with people over McCabe joining the backroom staff.

2.)What kind of football does Graham like to play?

3.) Giveny and Tierney mentioned by the previous poster as ones to get back involved. What other players are good enough and not playing county due to previous issues?

Fingers crossed he can do a job

1) No problem with Higgins.....have heard that McCabe is very backward thinking, but he has a Co Board job, so Im not sure what the story is there.....although having a clubman as Chairman doesnt do him any harm

2) No idea

3) Argue from Bailieborough, Joe Dillon, Keating, Galligan from Lacken to name a few off the top of my head. Definitely short in MF

Advertisement