Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Tom Joad wrote: »
    We are actually in a good financial space unlike a lot of counties

I'm afraid that is not true there is a big loan to be paid back .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

celt262 wrote: »
    I'm afraid that is not true there is a big loan to be paid back .

That's true but we have

1. A fine stadium that needs no major work for the forseeable future (compare that with some of counties not too far away - Meath, Louth, Kildare for instance);

2. Great facilities in Breffni Park for the teams - having the 3G pitch alone is off massive benefit;

3. A committed sponsor who is bucking the recession trend and doing very well.

Yes we have loans to pay back but relatively speaking we are doing well, don't have a massive debt and have good facilities - put it this way we won't need a dig out from Croke Park anytime soon. I know things can change and unforeseen things can happen but we're doing good now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Team named for tomorrow:

@CavanCoBoardGaa: JReilly.KBrady.PReilly.RFlanagan.RDunne.JMcEnroe.JMcCutcheon.GMcKiernan.DMcKiernan.MReilly.CMackey.MMcKeever.MDunne.NMcDermott.EKeating.

Givney left out due to a knock. Not sure where Mossy Corr isn't starting.

I think Terry is using the last game for a bit of experimentation tbh.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Team named for tomorrow:

@CavanCoBoardGaa: JReilly.KBrady.PReilly.RFlanagan.RDunne.JMcEnroe.JMcCutcheon.GMcKiernan.DMcKiernan.MReilly.CMackey.MMcKeever.MDunne.NMcDermott.EKeating.

Givney left out due to a knock. Not sure where Mossy Corr isn't starting.

I think Terry is using the last game for a bit of experimentation tbh.

A bit of experimentation is spot on - obviously he hasn't settled on the backs yet - will be interesting to see how Podge does at number 3 (if he starts there of course - esp with Rory Dunne named.)

A bit of experimentation is spot on - obviously he hasn't settled on the backs yet - will be interesting to see how Podge does at number 3 (if he starts there of course - esp with Rory Dunne named.)

I actually see on the Official Cavan GAA page that Corr and Alan Clarke are injured.

I don't think Podge will start at full back. I'd expect Dunne or McEnroe to go to full back, Podge go to the corner and Flanagan move out to the half backs.

I'm not sure about Declan McKiernan at midfield. I've never been a fan of his. He's shocking awkward but then, in fairness, ya need one skilful player and one workhorse at midfield so maybe that's why he's in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

best of luck today
    an antrim and fermanagh win would be nice too !!!!
    wont make it today but i'm sure i'll get another history lesson from michael tynan

cavan4sam wrote: »
    best of luck today
    an antrim and fermanagh win would be nice too !!!!
    wont make it today but i'm sure i'll get another history lesson from michael tynan

Go to the anglocelt.ie. live blog on the game there is decent.

Interesting post from the blog:

The Anglo Celt 72 pts
    Cavan (and their approximate ages): James Reilly (32), Killian Brady (21), Padraic O'Reilly (26), Ronan Flanagan (26), Rory Dunne (24), James McEnroe (24), John McCutcheon (26), Gearoid McKiernan (23), Declan McKiernan (24), Martin Reilly (26), Cian Mackey (25), Mark McKeever (29), Martin Dunne (24), Niall McDermott (23), Eugene Keating (24).

Didn't make the game today due to family commitments. While I never thought that Cavan would get promotion didn't expect a hiding - anyone at the game with an overview of what happened?

Overall happy enough with the league performance - a strange league given that I thought we didn't have a prayer with Meath and Monaghan relegated last year - amazing that we tanked both of them and they both still got promoted.

Anyway onwards and upwards - looking forward to Brewster on Wednesday...

Didn't make the game today due to family commitments. While I never thought that Cavan would get promotion didn't expect a hiding - anyone at the game with an overview of what happened?

Overall happy enough with the league performance - a strange league given that I thought we didn't have a prayer with Meath and Monaghan relegated last year - amazing that we tanked both of them and they both still got promoted.

Anyway onwards and upwards - looking forward to Brewster on Wednesday...

I didn't make the game either but apparently the lads were very poor.

I didn't expect us to go up and to consolidate our position in Division 3 is good enough for me. We're moving towards a settled starting 15 which is a huge bonus too.

All in all, I'm pleased with the progress being made. Today was poor but then it was a bit of a weird situation - players knew we wouldn't go up and there was a bit of experimentation from management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

It was the worst performance i have seen in a long time.

Left the game with 8 minutes to go i couldn't look at it any longer.

celt262 wrote: »
    It was the worst performance i have seen in a long time.

Left the game with 8 minutes to go i couldn't look at it any longer.

Must rival the Offaly game last year so. Paul Fitz in the Celt blog said it was bad alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Some of our supporters were doing hand wringing about this game but I felt we were in a better place (even with a huge number of absentees) than we were when the two teams met last year and that was a five point win for us that could have easily been more. Cavan were fading a little after a hot start while we were gaining momentum as the league progressed.

I didn't expect a ten point win but I thought plenty of observers might be confused by the way the game would go.

I wouldn't worry too much about it from your perspective. Both counties are building from grass roots up, we've just been in that process longer. Hopefully we'll both make it to D2 in the coming years because you can only grow so much playing at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Howdy lads and lasses. Really looking forward to the U-21 Final on Wednesday night. I'm not here as a spy, genuinely interested in your team - who should I look out for? What's the feeling - ye are relatively short odds - does that reflect the mood in Cavan?

We are surprised to be there and it's hard to know how fit the McHugh cousins will be on the night. Luke Keaney made his Senior debut on Sunday and didn't look out of place. Marty O'Reilly and Odhran MacNiallais will be important as well, and Conor Gibbons can take a score, especially from a free. But of course, if Paddy McBrearty doesn't play well, I doubt we have a chance. Not quite doing it at Senior level, but can be a star at this level.

I see that the winners will face either Cork or Tipperary in Tullamore - bit of an easier journey for Cavan.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Howdy lads and lasses. Really looking forward to the U-21 Final on Wednesday night. I'm not here as a spy, genuinely interested in your team - who should I look out for? What's the feeling - ye are relatively short odds - does that reflect the mood in Cavan?

We are surprised to be there and it's hard to know how fit the McHugh cousins will be on the night. Luke Keaney made his Senior debut on Sunday and didn't look out of place. Marty O'Reilly and Odhran MacNiallais will be important as well, and Conor Gibbons can take a score, especially from a free. But of course, if Paddy McBrearty doesn't play well, I doubt we have a chance. Not quite doing it at Senior level, but can be a star at this level.

I see that the winners will face either Cork or Tipperary in Tullamore - bit of an easier journey for Cavan.

The main Cavan players to watch out for would be the captain Fergal Flanagan who will probably line out CHB, the full back Killian Clarke and corner forward Jack Brady. All of those have played for the seniors.

Two players who haven't appeared for the seniors yet are Turloc Mooney who'll be on the 40 and Enda O'Reilly who is corner forward. They should also feature strongly.

This Cavan team hasn't many big names but they work tremendously hard for each other.

That said, Donegal will be a daunting task. Ye are the only team to have beaten us at U21 level in the last 3 years in Ulster.

This Cavan team hasn't many big names but they work tremendously hard for each other.

This Donegal team seems to be built along much the same lines, but with a few McHughs and Paddy McBrearty, it does have some names.
    That said, Donegal will be a daunting task. Ye are the only team to have beaten us at U21 level in the last 3 years in Ulster.

I hope we put up a good challenge, regardless of the result. After beating Tyrone and Derry, you'd like to think so anyway. However, the 2010 team was almost certainly better than the current team. Michael Murphy alone would make that the case. Don't forget ye beat us in 2011!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Very close game we have on our hands here. Both teams would appear to be evenly matched but with Donegal having McBrearty as their ace in the hole. Cavan have no player of that standard and he will have a bearing on the game no matter how well he plays, we will be set up to limit his impact on the game and that in turn will allow more opportunities to the rest of the Donegal side.

We have been extremely solid in defence thus far, disciplined in the tackle and willing to put bodies on the line when necessary. Up front we are little more than functional, no marquee forwards as such, although Enda O'Reilly is usually brilliant from dead balls. Paul O'Connor while not as physical as our previous full forward, is playing very well and has bagged a goal in both games so far.

For the first time we enter the final as favourites, an unusual position, no longer the spirited underdogs. Donegal have the mental edge here.

I think this will be a low scoring, dogged affair, don't expect Cavan to score more than 12-13 points so we can't let Donegal run up a big score. It will be decided by some small margin, a mistake or a moment of class. Hopefully we can bring a great crowd, I know Donegal will. I'm looking forward to what will be another special night in Brewster, win or lose.

I would say that this years under 21 team is the best of the last 4 years but would agree with keepthefaith that this will be a tight game and not much between the two teams. I'd read nothing into the bookies odds or favourites tags as they simply don't mean anything at this level.

Expecting a big crowd in Brewster -our second home..

I would say that this years under 21 team is the best of the last 4 years but would agree with keepthefaith that this will be a tight game and not much between the two teams. I'd read nothing into the bookies odds or favourites tags as they simply don't mean anything at this level.

Expecting a big crowd in Brewster -our second home..

The one big advantage Cavan have is our bench. For example, Joe Dillon was starting last year but is on the bench this year. That's a sigh of the strength in depth that's there.

In a tight game against Monaghan, it made all the difference and it could again tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I presume this isnt on tv anywhere?
    No mention on TG4 anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

All Ireland semi final and final is the only U-21 games shown live. Tg4 will have highlights on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Breffni boys won 0-13 to 1-6 for Donegal.

Cork up next on Sunday week in a double header in Tullamore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Fair play to Cavan tonight, by far the better team on the night.

Thank God Paddy McBrearty played or we might not have scored at all..

Well done Cavan, three Ulsters is a serious achievement. Hopefully we get a repeat of the 2011 AI final.

shiibata wrote: »
    Fair play to Cavan tonight, by far the better team on the night.

Thank God Paddy McBrearty played or we might not have scored at all..

I don't know about that. Cavan were the better team and controlled the game but Donegal had a fair few goal chances.

I don't think we'll get away with that against Cork. I hate to be on a downer after such a great win but I think we could exit again at semi final stage like last year, which is a pity.

Congrats to captain Fergal Flanagan and Jake Brady particularly. They have played 9 games in Ulster at U21 level and are unbeaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

I don't know about that. Cavan were the better team and controlled the game but Donegal had a fair few goal chances.

I don't think we'll get away with that against Cork. I hate to be on a downer after such a great win but I think we could exit again at semi final stage like last year, which is a pity.

Congrats to captain Fergal Flanagan and Jake Brady particularly. They have played 9 games in Ulster at U21 level and are unbeaten.

Ye, first half, we had 2 goal chances but yez wasted a lot yourselves in front of goals in the 1st half... we got to within 2pts in 2nd half, we took a quick free on sideline and gave it straight to a Cavan lad and it led to a free which yez converted and that finished the comeback

Some great points by the no.11 for Cavan, 2 of them with the outside of boot..

shiibata wrote: »
    Ye, first half, we had 2 goal chances but yez wasted a lot yourselves in front of goals in the 1st half... we got to within 2pts in 2nd half, we took a quick free on sideline and gave it straight to a Cavan lad and it led to a free which yez converted and that finished the comeback

Some great points by the no.11 for Cavan, 2 of them with the outside of boot..

Christopher Conroy. He got man of the match. He played for the Cavan Junior team in the Leinster Junior Championship for the last couple of years.

Still looks a bit light for the step up to senior. Two years ago I saw him play for his club Lavey against Kingscourt, the then county champions, when he would of been only just out of minor.

The game was a draw at the end, 11 or 12 points all, can't really remember. What I do remember is Conroy giving a master class and scoring 8 or 9 of Lavey's scores.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Congrats lads. It's very depressing seeing so many of our neighbours with absolute quality underage teams coming through.

Congrats lads. It's very depressing seeing so many of our neighbours with absolute quality underage teams coming through.

Jesus man, I know last year's Meath minor team were nothing amazing but they did still make the AI final.

All but the very best underage systems in the country would bite your hand off to have that alone.

Fantastic achievement by Cavan - got a bit nervy towards the end and McBrearty is a fantastic footballer but always felt that Cavan were the better team and wanted it more. 3 in a row at this level is a great achievement. Cork have also won 3 in a row so should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

well done to all involved
    a fantastic achievement by an exceptional group of players

tremendous atmosphere once again by the huge cavan support
    brilliant discipline by the team to never lose their shape while under severe pressure in the 2nd half
    while it may not have been the prettiest to watch for the purists our gameplan against donegals system worked and we reaped the rewards for it

however i would have concerns about meeting a cork team that i'm sure will be playing open football and i cant help casting my mind back to last years semi against roscommon where when we encountered a team playing non ulster like football we were found wanting

hopefully lessons were learned from this and we can push on and challenge for the all ireland glory that we have been starved of for so long in this football mad county

once again congratulations to peter and all involved 3 in a row in ulster at any grade is a brilliant achievement and it can only help bring confidence to every other team in the county

looking forward to saturday week and once again i'm sure we will turn out in our thousands

An Cabhan Abu

• Advertisement

Well folks, just dropping in to say congratulations on your three-in-a-row.

Felt you could have been out of sight at half-time. Donegal played very poorly at times and it was only in the last 10-15 minutes that they exhibited the kind of intentsity that needed to be shown from the start. Losing the two McHughs (neither of whom looked fit enough to start with) didn't help our efforts, but that's taking nothing away from Cavan who were full value for their win IMHO.

All the best against Cork - I'd say it will be a bigger challenge than last night.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Well folks, just dropping in to say congratulations on your three-in-a-row.

Felt you could have been out of sight at half-time. Donegal played very poorly at times and it was only in the last 10-15 minutes that they exhibited the kind of intentsity that needed to be shown from the start. Losing the two McHughs (neither of whom looked fit enough to start with) didn't help our efforts, but that's taking nothing away from Cavan who were full value for their win IMHO.

All the best against Cork - I'd say it will be a bigger challenge than last night.

The thing about last night is that we played poorly and still won. They say that's a sign of a great team and I'd hope so. I wasn't at the Down game but speaking to people who were they seemed to say that the majority of the Cavan team didn't play half as well last night.

There was alot of pressure on the team last night to achieve the three in a row. It can't have been easy for them and at times it showed. For example, Enda O'Reilly, and I'm not singling him out, missed frees that he wouldn't have in the previous two games.

I definitely think Cork will be favourites in the semi and you only have to look at the teams left in it - Galway, Cork and Kildare - to see we're the underdogs. Those three counties have more than three times our population and have some pick.

It would be great to see us pick up some silverware or even make the final but it is going to be a big ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Is that working for anyone else? For me it says "Content doesn't seem to be working. Please try again later", I even tried a UK proxy server and it done the same thing. Would love to see the highlights of it.

Edit: Nevermind, got it working! Good viewing from a Cavan perspective.

Anyway, was delighted for the lads last night, even stayed up late here to keep track of how all was going in the match via Twitter and Northern Sound online, Great to see the boys from my neck of the woods growing into such good players for the county, hard working fellas and I'm sure they won't stop any time soon! Great to get 3-in-a-row, now to focus on getting past Cork in the AI semis, it'll be great to get to Croker again for the second time in three years.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »

Thanks for sharing - very interesting what Jack Brady said in that interview about the belief and the use of sports psychologists - its something I've been saying for a while - the footballers are there in Cavan - its mainly about attitude and belief. These young lads have the attitude and belief in spades.

I'm sure they won't mind getting written off by their own again - the amount of clowns (most who weren't in Brewster) who I met today saying that Cork would trash them - really bugs me. :rolleyes:

Anyway rant over..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

I was chatting to a friend of one of the players from the u21s. They lads didn't take a drink after winning their ulster title the other night. Focus is totally on the semi-final against Cork. Regardless of the result of that game this represents a sea change in attitude in a Cavan team that has lifted a trophy.

The recent success at U21 level in the county is clearly not an overnight thing, it is something which was borne out of some reflection about how football was organised at county level. It is fantastic to see that they had the ability to identify deficiencies, come up with solutions and execute them.

I think it would be a good time to introduce a system for tracking every player in the county from 14-15 years of age up. I am currently in australia on holiday and I reckon we can take some notes from the way they organise underage sports and athletics here. Too often in the past you would hear of a club or a player not getting a fair go in on the county, it would be good to have something to back this up with. Have stats on the player, how fast can he run from the 21 to the 50. How far can he kick off hand, off the ground. How high can he jump? Test reaction skills etc all these things can be measured and could possibly used to identify players who would otherwise slip through the fingers of simple human perception. Just an idea

Second thing that needs to be addressed pronto is the current apathy from clubs around the county towards the board with regards the complete haims that they have made off the club competitions this year. Its not good enough really, a healthy club scene more often than not makes for a healthy county team. PLayers playing at higher levels pushes our elite players to higher levels again. Thats said the county should be the priority, clubs need to understand that it is the greater good, the county needs to understand that the likes of mountnugent or munterconnaght who while small clubs provide massive players for the county need to be looked after also, i dunno how exactly that would happen but suggestions would be welcome.

Now it is no time to rest on laurels with the recent success. The Objective for the county should be to see a lad from the breffni lift sam in croke park within the next ten years. We don't want another 10 years in the wilderness of provincial quarter finals and the odd trip around the country to take in the odd qualifier. It would be a golden opportunity squandered

willabur wrote: »

Second thing that needs to be addressed pronto is the current apathy from clubs around the county towards the board with regards the complete haims that they have made off the club competitions this year. Its not good enough really, a healthy club scene more often than not makes for a healthy county team. PLayers playing at higher levels pushes our elite players to higher levels again. Thats said the county should be the priority, clubs need to understand that it is the greater good, the county needs to understand that the likes of mountnugent or munterconnaght who while small clubs provide massive players for the county need to be looked after also, i dunno how exactly that would happen but suggestions would be welcome.

Now it is no time to rest on laurels with the recent success. The Objective for the county should be to see a lad from the breffni lift sam in croke park within the next ten years. We don't want another 10 years in the wilderness of provincial quarter finals and the odd trip around the country to take in the odd qualifier. It would be a golden opportunity squandered

Too many vested interests at the top table unfortunately and no courage to bring about the changes needed. They county board paid a lot of money to commission the report into the county championship - they then accepted the recommendations (sensible stuff) which would have seen teams aside from the top few competitive club teams amalgamate to play senior championship. A few clubs revolted so the county board backed down and allowed anyone to apply to play senior - ludicrous situation.

Only two counties have more senior clubs than head of population than Cavan (Leitrim and Offaly - both Division 4 teams btw) and until this is addressed we won't make the breakthrough. Of course some of the clubs can't see beyond their own selfish interests so the county board should do their job and implement the report - all they have to do is watch the county champions embarrass themselves in Ulster year after year to get an idea of where Cavan club football is at..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

The U21 game should be a good game and close on Saturday,weather is meant to be good as well.Their a lot of expectation with our bunch of players,I'm sure yere the same.
    Cork team to be announced tommorrow night,their seems to be a clean bill of health.
    Stand tickets have been reduced to only 20 euro,their should be a big crowd from both counties,and the fact it is a double header.
    Any news on yere team???

• Advertisement

The U21 game should be a good game and close on Saturday,weather is meant to be good as well.Their a lot of expectation with our bunch of players,I'm sure yere the same.
    Cork team to be announced tommorrow night,their seems to be a clean bill of health.
    Stand tickets have been reduced to only 20 euro,their should be a big crowd from both counties,and the fact it is a double header.
    Any news on yere team???

The Cavan team has lined out the same in every game as far as I recall so I wouldn't expect any changes on Sunday.

As the article posted above says, our lads are a team that work hard together and have no exceptional stars. They'll give their best win, lose or draw and that's something Cavan didn't have for years: sheer dedication.

Cork are strong favourites but hopefully the bookies have it wrong.

The Cavan team has lined out the same in every game as far as I recall so I wouldn't expect any changes on Sunday.

As the article posted above says, our lads are a team that work hard together and have no exceptional stars. They'll give their best win, lose or draw and that's something Cavan didn't have for years: sheer dedication.

Cork are strong favourites but hopefully the bookies have it wrong.
    I saw the highlights from the link from the BBC on this thread from the Ulster final,ye scored some nice points from distance and Clancy our centre back looks like he will have he's hands full with Brady.
    Yere full back in the clip I saw looked dodgy enough.Our full forward line is nicely balanced,big and strong but a lot pace of too ,and extremely talented footballers.
    Thats the only time I have seen this Cavan team but by all accounts Ulster is meant to a Lions Den in trying to win it once,but to win it 3 times in a row ye got to be a serious team.
    We have scoring power in all 6 forwards and while against Tippereary in the second half midfield was much better we have struggled at times during the Championship in stages of the game.
    So far Cork have played brillantly in periods of a game and then for other stages we go missing.
    This is another step up in standard so only a complete performance will do.
    Its a pity both these teams met now and not in the final as who ever looses Saturday it will be heartbreaking as both these teams in the last 3 years have had no success at the business end of the Championship.
    Listening to the interviews afterwards yere lads seem full of confidence.
    Our lads are the same,full of belief.
    I believe this is very hard to call.
    Our forwards probably edge it for us,but I would not take much of what the bookies say at this grade,they as proven this year have got it wrong before.
    We were massive favourites against Galway two years ago and came undone.
    A very good article that was the Examiner.
    Credit due,if ye put the work in with the right men in charge it is bound to reap dividends at underage.
    A lot of Counties could learn from ye,we could take a leaf out of yere book in terms of underage development regarding our hurlers.

I saw the highlights from the link from the BBC on this thread from the Ulster final,ye scored some nice points from distance and Clancy our centre back looks like he will have he's hands full with Brady.
    Yere full back in the clip I saw looked dodgy enough.Our full forward line is nicely balanced,big and strong but a lot pace of too ,and extremely talented footballers.
    Thats the only time I have seen this Cavan team but by all accounts Ulster is meant to a Lions Den in trying to win it once,but to win it 3 times in a row ye got to be a serious team.
    We have scoring power in all 6 forwards and while against Tippereary in the second half midfield was much better we have struggled at times during the Championship in stages of the game.
    So far Cork have played brillantly in periods of a game and then for other stages we go missing.
    This is another step up in standard so only a complete performance will do.
    Its a pity both these teams met now and not in the final as who ever looses Saturday it will be heartbreaking as both these teams in the last 3 years have had no success at the business end of the Championship.
    Listening to the interviews afterwards yere lads seem full of confidence.
    Our lads are the same,full of belief.
    I believe this is very hard to call.
    Our forwards probably edge it for us,but I would not take much of what the bookies say at this grade,they as proven this year have got it wrong before.
    We were massive favourites against Galway two years ago and came undone.
    A very good article that was the Examiner.
    Credit due,if ye put the work in with the right men in charge it is bound to reap dividends at underage.
    A lot of Counties could learn from ye,we could take a leaf out of yere book in terms of underage development regarding our hurlers.

Your comments about Killian Clarke, the Cavan full back, are interesting. Cavan have struggled at full back for a number of years and he is very much seen as the future for the position.

Last year was his first year out of minor and he started every championship game for Cavan, although he struggled badly with Tommy O'Connor against Kildare.

Jason McLoughlin, corner back, would also be seen as a good man marker and a real player for the future. He too played senior last year.

It'll be interesting to see how Cork cope with the Cavan system. Cavan's half forwards tend to drop back and support the back line but are then capable of carrying the ball or speeding forward to take up position.

It's a system our seniors are trying now but the players at senior level aren't as adept at getting forward quickly when they win the ball as these U21s.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

People are counting Killian Clarke as our nailed on full back for the Seniors. To me, he hasn't been all that convincing at U21 Level this year. He was immense last year in our Ulster win. Man of the match in the Ulster Final. This year he got caught for the goal against Monaghan and Donegal, although Gilsenan should perhaps take some blame for the Donegal goal. Anyway, we can't afford to show any weaknesses under the high ball v Cork. I doubt we'll see any changes. I expect Cavan to give an assured performance, this is where they aimed to be and Ulster was a necessary step this year not the final target. I really would love if they could grind out a win here and give themselves another chance at an AI. You don't always get what you deserve in sport but I really believe these lads deserve and All Ireland.

Your comments about Killian Clarke, the Cavan full back, are interesting. Cavan have struggled at full back for a number of years and he is very much seen as the future for the position.

Last year was his first year out of minor and he started every championship game for Cavan, although he struggled badly with Tommy O'Connor against Kildare.

Jason McLoughlin, corner back, would also be seen as a good man marker and a real player for the future. He too played senior last year.

It'll be interesting to see how Cork cope with the Cavan system. Cavan's half forwards tend to drop back and support the back line but are then capable of carrying the ball or speeding forward to take up position.

It's a system our seniors are trying now but the players at senior level aren't as adept at getting forward quickly when they win the ball as these U21s.
    I have not seen much of him to be honest but for the one of the Donegal goal chances I thought he was turned rather easily.
    Brian Hurley our Full forward is in the form of he life at Club and County level and is a future Senior,with our injury woes at Senior he may well be called up this year.Mac Eoin was brillant in the Minor final 3 years ago,and has been superb this year.
    A lot of people think Cork just kick high balls in to the Full Forward line mainly as MacEoin is a giant of a man for U21.
    But our full forward line actually prefer diagonal balls spread across the ptich allowing them to run on to.
    Against Tippereary we were faced with a similar system to what you said Cavan do,a duplicate of Donegal at Senior level.
    Cork played a sweeper in defence too for the first half and it was like a game of poker everyone trying to hold their Ace card till later on and afraid to show their hand too early.
    Cork played more attacking in the second half ,and kick passed a lot more fast ball in to the likes of Hurley and Connolly but spread passes wide over the ptich than just kick in down the centre.
    It worked.
    It will be a good test and no harm for these Cork lads to face a blanket style now as some of these lads will play Senior in the future and will be facing this system down the line.
    Unlike our Senior team we have a half back line that are brillant foot passers of a ball and very comfortable attacking forward also.
    One change on the team tonight is Brian O Driscoll in he's best role at half back.
    He is a superb player,and was played out of position earlier at corner back and exposed.
    He made a huge improvement to our play the last day.
    TJ Brosnan who I had posted in the Cork thread during the Championship was a weak spot for us has been dropped.
    This Cork team has improved in every game,and the management have learned also from mistakes of the past and picked the best team for this game.You can not ask any more of them.
    Also Sean Kiely who is a big man has been moved to midfield to win ball.With Maguire also their we have two big imposing players there.
    Expect Cadogan our half forward and O Rourke in particular who has some engine to be their waiting for any breaks around the middle.This game will be won and lost around here I feel.
    John Cleary our manager has so far showed good game management on the sideline unlike our Senior manager the last few years.
    This could be a great game.It will be very close.
    I think it is fair to say Cavan feel like they deserve all ireland but a lot of Cork's players from the last three years and from loosing a minor all ireland to Tyrone will feel the same.
    Hunger won't be a problem on any side on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to the game now and hope the lads get the win to have another crack at a final - should be a great day out if nothing else..

Crucial that we are tight defensively and we are fighting for the breaking ball at the back. Cork seem to have a very good team and plenty of big lads but while Cavan have no superstars they have a cracking team spirit and a great attitude.

Here's hoping for a great game and a Cavan win..

best of luck to the lads later on, unfortunately the spin over from australia is a bit too far for me to make this one but I might make it back for the final

I read that article in the examiner and a point which stood out for me is that they are not looking at typical attributes you would look for in a county footballer. Targetting bigger players whose technical attributes might not be up to scratch is interesting, alot of gaelic football these days is a bout hard running to gain territory, providing support for the guy in possession etc Donegal really brought this one to another level last year. Watching them in the warmup of games they would be three abreast running hard for 65 metres transferring the ball between them. Thats what you need to be looking at, you need your number 4 running 70 yards hard, maybe getting their hands on the ball, maybe not. You need your number 13 running back to spoil possession. Seems as tho the lads involved have identified this, drawn up a plan of what kind of footballers they want in and involved in the county ..

its an exciting time to be a cavan football fan,

Very disappointed with today. Cork were a good team but we threw it away. They were there for the taking at the end.

Very disappointed with today. Cork were a good team but we threw it away. They were there for the taking at the end.
    This game was exactly as I thought it would be in my post here the other day.
    A very close game.We did not deserve to to loose to be fair when we built up a 5 point lead,over the full game we were the better team and I don't think ye threw it away,but when the game was there to be one in the last minutes we won it .Our forwards were the key today.Some played badly today but then we had others to step up.
    As I said we have 6 forwards that can all score,so when a few are held we can rely on the others.
    The first half we played very defensive,trying to curb yere style as i thought we would.
    We were far more direct in the second half,and Hurley and MacEoin had yere full back line in all sorts of trouble when they got direct ball.
    We were 5 points up but as this team tends to do,we fade in and out of games and it nearly cost us in the end.
    O Connor was a handful for Cahalane.
    We have won tight game so many times with these players and managers over the years that there is huge belief and confidence in this team to do the right thing at the right time in the closing stages of games.
    That and our greater potential in the forwards just edged it .
    Their seemed to be panic on the Cavan sideline where ye brought back on yere best man who was subbed to take the last minute free.
    Credit due to Cavan, they played a great game,and battled gamely to the end.
    They gave everything,you could not ask of any more from them.
    Yere sickened after today but keep the heads up,thats a fine cavan team.Most of these Cork lads were sickened after loosing a great minor final in 2010 but bounced back.The Future is bright for Cavan football and I wish ye the best for the future.
    There can only ever be one winner but Cavan made us earn it in the end.
    Fair plays lads it was a great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Very disappointed with the result but Cork had more of a cutting edge and deserved their win. We looked very dangerous when the ball was played long and fast into the full forward line - you wont see a better team score all summer, at any level, than one point O'Connor scored in the first half. When the build up was slow and Cork were able to get men back we had no way of getting through them. The Cork players on the other hand were able to break tackles and their forwards, especially no. 14 who was excellent, showed the killer instinct which we lacked at times.

I was very disappointed with the Cavan management, the lack of substitutions and when they were made I think it was for the wrong men.

The Cavan support, as always, was fantastic and I think they helped to lift their team as they dragged themselves back to level from 6 points down. Its a pity Cork didnt have similar support, that teams deserves better.

From what I saw of Galway they didnt look great and I think both Cavan and Cork would have beaten them today but a final can be a very different story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement