Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Would like to see a quick free kick every now and again. It is all very slow and predictable at times. No harm the player closest to the ball looking to play quick ball inside particularly when our long range free taking is low return right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I watched the game last night.
    Cavan did ok with their running game in the first half.
    They were very poor in the second half and offered very little. Too many small men, not able to contest the high ball even the two the ref threw up.
    You need to find a few big men. They were dispossessed loads of times when carrying the ball into the challenge. Small is not much good against big fit teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

They were very poor in the second half and offered very little. Too many small men, not able to contest the high ball even the two the ref threw up.
    You need to find a few big men. They were dispossessed loads of times when carrying the ball into the challenge. Small is not much good against big fit teams.

Graham has said our strength and conditioning is behind other Ulster teams and it’ll take 12 to 24 months to get some lads up to speed.

That said, there are lads like Jason McLoughlin who have been around the panel since 2012 or 13 and still look like a strong gust would blow them over.

Hopefully our new full time strength and conditioning coach will change that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Micheal Argue, Kevin Tierney, Niall McKiernan are all that size. Gearoid will be back at some point. Tierney and Argue weren't on the bench for some reason. We need a big man inside. Forward line poor last night. I would try Argue full forward again, with Madden inside. 3 defeats now, need to change things up, defence is okay but overall team need to improve discipline. Shame Sean McCormack isn't on the panel this year, he was midfield in Championship last year, has the size and played well last year.

We seem to be only playing 1 in the full forward line at times, being crowded out easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Micheal Argue, Kevin Tierney, Niall McKiernan are all that size. Gearoid will be back at some point. Tierney and Argue weren't on the bench for some reason. We need a big man inside. Forward line poor last night. I would try Argue full forward again, with Madden inside. 3 defeats now, need to change things up, defence is okay but overall team need to improve discipline. Shame Sean McCormack isn't on the panel this year, he was midfield in Championship last year, has the size and played well last year.

We seem to be only playing 1 in the full forward line at times, being crowded out easily.

Argue is a bit too soft from what I’ve seen of him. Doesn’t like the rough stuff.
    Cavan might play better when the ground hardens and Mc kiernan returns.

• Advertisement

Argue is a bit too soft from what I’ve seen of him. Doesn’t like the rough stuff.
    Cavan might play better when the ground hardens and Mc kiernan returns.
    We don't have many players of his size, at least needs to be on the bench for something different. We have too many light young lads that are just out of their depth at this level.

It's also desperately important we sort out the free taking. Would love to know Galligans conversion rate, can't be more than 1/3. The time it takes him to run up, we should have forwards kicking them over or be playing quick balls. Missed several frees again yesterday, the Mayos and the Kerrys score them all day every day. Need a free taker big time. How do we not have one at this level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

They need a strong runner in the half forward line too.. Martin Reilly and Mackey to a lesser extent slow things up. Mcveety depending on where he is playing is direct. Maybe when Gerry Smith is back, him or Ciaran Brady should be played at half forward.

Good for Cavan that there is a two week break now. A chance to look at addressing some of the issues that have been shown up the last few weekends. Cannot fault the effort of the lads. We have been competitive in all games to date and lost by only a few points. Need to keep working hard and hopefully start picking up points. A victory over Roscommon is well overdue and certainly should be a realistic target. Hopefully the return of a few players will inject some quality and scoring power into the team. There could well be quite a few teams embroiled in this relegation scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭celt262

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1094320421011406849

How is this not a foul? Totally changed the game. As usual we are on the end of bad calls.

Don't think there is a whole lot wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

celt262 wrote: »

TBH when I watched it live I thought it was a bit iffy and was sure a free out would be awarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

The goal didnt decide the game but it never should have been allowed.

Argue isn’t a full forward. No point sticking him in there and lobbing ball into him. He doesn’t know how to play the position with his back to goal.

Galligan and Graham did well against Kerry and look to be worth persevering with. Galligan was the best midfielder I saw in the club championship last year.

I agree re discipline. It’s been our Achilles heel for the last decade. Players getting sent off in big games e.g. Flanagan vs Derry in 16, Corr vs Roscommon in 15.

Just watching League Sunday. Joanne Cantwell asks Brolly about Cavan and he twists the entire question back to Mayo!

Despite being Division 1 there has been next to zero analysis on our games by RTE. I noticed too that Brolly dodged the question. Then again I doubt any of them watched the match anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

celt262 wrote: »

Replay doesnt clarify anything....it looks to me like the forward jumped into Galligan and then made contact with the bal.....but i wouldnt put a mortgage on it, s its tough to tell
    If he collided with Galligan before he touched the ball, its a free out. If Galligan caught it, and then there was contact, its a free out.......if the forward makes contact with the ball first, then the goal is legal

Re the game itself, there was positives......McVeety got going, in an attacking sense, after a poor game v Galway, and a game where he was asked to be more disciplined defensively v Kerry.......there was very little of lads waiting on the ball, so new fellas are learning. We competed and effectively lost by 2 points (Im disallowing the goal) to a team who are years ahead of us in physical development.

Mackey wasnt influential, but I put that down to Higgins being very effective as a sweeper in front of the full back and Madden.....the ball into Madden wasnt on so the game had to be slowed down.

I found that Mayo are very effective at slowing our play down........the tackling, loads of arms round the waist, and when frees were given, they seemed to have the nack of slowing down quick frees forward

We need 2 wins from the Rossies, Monaghan and Tyrone.......we are capable so, hopefully we get the rub of the green.

Im surprised Gunner isnt getting game time......he was exceptional v Tyrone in the qualifiers last year, and hasnt started since....hes one of the few physically developed players we have

I don't know how Cavan are years behind in S/C. This was either neglected or slackness; Peter Donnelly when he was here done good work on conditioning. Kevin Downes was saying after Donegal U20s hammered Cavan last year, that Cavan done little in the gym underage. Donegal were on a conditioning program from u15s.

Some of the more Senior Cavan players like Jason McLaughlin and Martin Reilly look like they needed a good conditioning program.
    This shouldn't be the case as they have been around the panel a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

at best its an indictment on the previous regime(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

rrs wrote: »
    I don't know how Cavan are years behind in S/C. This was either neglected or slackness; Peter Donnelly when he was here done good work on conditioning. Kevin Downes was saying after Donegal U20s hammered Cavan last year, that Cavan done little in the gym underage. Donegal were on a conditioning program from u15s.

Some of the more Senior Cavan players like Jason McLaughlin and Martin Reilly look like they needed a good conditioning program.
    This shouldn't be the case as they have been around the panel a while

Id be thinking a combination of turnover of players, managers and backroom teams would have a big say in it. Mayo are working with the same spine of a squad for a long time, so its definitely a big factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Despite being Division 1 there has been next to zero analysis on our games by RTE. I noticed too that Brolly dodged the question. Then again I doubt any of them watched the match anyway.
    In fairness when it comes to analysis Brolly is clueless and the sooner he's off the RTE panel the better.

Looking aside from Mayo, there is teams in Division 2 like Donegal, kildare, Armagh who are more conditioned. Donegal obviously have experienced players with a All Ireland.

Kildare missing alot of players at the minute but when fit they are a strong team.

rrs wrote: »
    Looking aside from Mayo, there is teams in Division 2 like Donegal, kildare, Armagh who are more conditioned. Donegal obviously have experienced players with a All Ireland.

Kildare missing alot of players at the minute but when fit they are a strong team.

Donegal and Kildare were both Division 1 last year. I wouldn’t agree re Armagh. I watched them yesterday in Pairc Tailteann. I was surprised at how poor they are.

Whatever people may say about us being a Division 2 team, I’ve been to Meath vs Tipp and Meath vs Armagh the last couple of weeks and we are above any of those teams. There’s quite a noticeable step up from Div 2 to 1.

[quote="Crash Bang Wall;
    Im surprised Gunner isnt getting game time......he was exceptional v Tyrone in the qualifiers last year, and hasnt started since....hes one of the few physically developed players we have[/quote]

I’ve heard he’s quite a bit off full fitness because he took an extended break after the long Mullahoran season. In fairness, who could blame him.

• Advertisement

Cavan were in Division 1 in 2017. This level of football isn't new to a lot of these players.
    They beat Mayo back then and drew with Kerry under Mattie McCleenan. He wasn't a good manager but pulled off the odd result.

Cavan haven't looked like scoring a goal in the 3 games. Don't want to be running Mickey Graham down as I think he is a good manager and hope he does well

Hopefully with injured players back the attack will look more threatening. McKiernan on the 40.

Hopefully the return to action of a few of the injured players over the next few weeks has a positive transforming effect on this team. Right now opposition teams only have to focus on shutting down possibly two Cavan players to get the upper hand. The next three games are massive as they are probably a decent opportunity to pick up some confidence building points. Graham has a relatively settled side and for 3-5 lads they are learning fast what football at the highest level is all about. There is hope that things will improve in this campaign.

Team named for the game vs Roscommon. Looks like it has come too early for Gearoid & Caoimhin. A real pity.

I would expect changes to that starting 15.

My hope would be that Gerry Smith comes in to take McVeety’s role of CHB allowing Dara to stay up the pitch.

I’d also expect Thomas Galligan to start.

Yevon wrote: »
    We need to get McVeety further up the pitch. He needs to be left in full forward to do damage and keep the opposition defenders honest. He's the only player capable of doing that over the course of the game. Let Martin Reilly, Holla, Mackey and Rehill do the raiding forward.

I’d agree. Getting goals and creating more danger closer to goals has to be a priority now after what the first three games of the league have shown. Time to give the opposition defenders a greater threat.

We need to get McVeety further up the pitch. He needs to be left in full forward to do damage and keep the opposition defenders honest. He's the only player capable of doing that over the course of the game. Let Martin Reilly, Holla, Mackey and Rehill do the raiding forward.

I trust Rehill and Holla to raid forward, as I do Gerry Smith, but Mackey and Reilly need to cut out the slow, lateral play. If anything, they have been slowing down our counter attacking. Tough to get them out of the habit of years now though.

My hope is still that Mackey won’t start eventually and can just be left as an impact sub. When you actually have a lead, like we did against Kerry, would be the perfect time to introduce him and let him hold possession and slow the game down.

Disagree completely on Mackey and Martin Reilly. I think Mackey has an ability to find a pass that nobody else on the team has and I feel he's careful in possession, that sometimes means lateral passing. Martin Reilly doesn't have the passing range but breaks the line better than most on the team. Both are two of few players who can break a tackle and keep the ball under pressure. Lateral passing is unfortunately a necessity at times when teams drop players back, I don't feel it's excessive from either player.
    I feel that lads like Moynagh, Madden, Rehill could all do with being a bit more conservative at times instead of launching in 50/50 balls to a non-functioning full forward line.

But you’re talking of the Mackey of a few years back, not recently. Against Kerry, he picked out one good pass which lead to a mark for Madden. That was it.

I found him disappointing for Castlerahan last year, despite the Breffni All Star he received

Reilly I find slow and awkward at times. He has been a great player for us under the old system but I’m not sure moving the ball forward at speed, which is Mickey’s key tactic, will suit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Talk of Martin Reilly being dropped is mind boggling. Consistently putting in top class performances for Cavan. He has a great delivery too, it hasn’t just been in the game plan this past few years. Again arguably a Man of the Match performance today. Good to see him pushing further forward. Bar one mistake just after H/T he was brilliant.

Elsewhere some good performances from Killian Clarke and Conor Moynagh amongst others. Great result and gives us some hope in D1.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Moynagh my MOTM. Turned over ball, started attacks and was jumping into tackles even at end when he had emptyed tank and took some punishment. Clarke dominated midfield. Should have won by more.

Great to finally get a win in this league campaign and beat Roscommon after so many failed attempts. Cavan created a lot of chances which was great to see and it is brilliant to score three goals after the goal drought of the first three games. The performance was Cavan’s first fairly consistent 70mins of football. The timing of the first goal just before half time was important. The win today should be a big confidence boost to the squad heading into the Tyrone game. A win away in Omagh would be absolutely massive and a real sign that progress is being made. Tyrone can certainly be beaten by this improving cavan side. Fingers crossed cavan are heading to clones with two wins and a chance to put Monaghan in greater bother!

• Advertisement

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Talk of Martin Reilly being dropped is mind boggling. Consistently putting in top class performances for Cavan. He has a great delivery too, it hasn’t just been in the game plan this past few years. Again arguably a Man of the Match performance today. Good to see him pushing further forward. Bar one mistake just after H/T he was brilliant.

Elsewhere some good performances from Killian Clarke and Conor Moynagh amongst others. Great result and gives us some hope in D1.

Your post, and the two thanks it got, are unwarranted and without any basis. Nobody ever spoke about dropping Martin Reilly. I said Mackey needed to take up the role of impact sub, not Martin. I said he needed to be more direct.

Fantastic performance today and the good part is we have bits to improve on. One of our normal key performers of late, Ciaran Brady, had an off day but it didn’t rock the boat, for example.

Some great performances and, while it may sound strange, I think one of the best factors is we didn’t start our best 15 so we had players to improve the team off the bench.

Advertisement