Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

We've been within a kick of the ball the last few times but this time we really need the bounce of the ball and the rub of the green
    I'm optimistic but not overly at the same time
    Hopefully we put in a good shift and give McManus plenty to put ice on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can you pay in on the day lads or do you need a ticket?
    I might get over to this after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭celt262

Tickets will be on sale outside the ground but if your definitely going be handier to buy before hand.

By the way I'm pretty confident that we can take them this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Cheaper to buy before. It’s an extra fiver to buy on the day.

celt262 wrote: »
    Tickets will be on sale outside the ground but if your definitely going be handier to buy before hand.

By the way I'm pretty confident that we can take them this time.

You can’t say that and not expand on what has lead to this confidence?

• Advertisement

Cavan_King wrote: »
    You can’t say that and not expand on what has lead to this confidence?

Course I can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

He will still manage to "manufacture" a free or 2....just wish our forwards were cute enough to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

It's well beyond time that referees stopped giving frees to Conor McManus for his blatant diving. He looks for contact and then throws himself to the ground. He'd put Italian soccer players to shame.
    Looking at the two teams player for player its hard to see past a Monaghan win, a shock would be great to see though.

Yevon wrote: »
    Frankly the best thing Cavan could be doing is having someone with a bit of profile saying in the media that they hope our defenders will be allowed to defend. What went on in the league game was shocking. Raise awareness, make a headline and most importantly plant that seed in the referees head.

Might make feck all difference, the man is a marvel and he can play it whatever way the opposition wants. But if he spurns a few possessions by hitting the ground and not getting the free, we should be trying to help that process.

Would agree with that McManus is a great footballer but the diving is a disgrace and the fact that it is never highlighted on Sunday Game or in the papers is hard to understand as its a regular occurrence for him.

If we had a forward diving around the place and getting frees like him it would make no difference as it would likely be kicked wide anyway.

Team named:

Cavan (Ulster SFC v Monaghan): Raymond Galligan; Jason McLoughlin, Padraig Faulkner, Conor Moynagh; Gerard Smith, Killian Clarke, Conor Rehill; Conor Brady, Gearoid McKiernan; Martin Reilly, Dara McVeety, Niall Murray; Oisin Kiernan, Thomas Galligan, Conor Madden.

Would expect positional changes. Clarke to full back line. Moynagh out for example.
    Gearoid and Galligan swap another.

Looks a solid team. No Ciaran Brady but his form dipped towards the end of the League and I've heard he was struggling for fitness.

• Advertisement

Cavan have to be really disciplined tomorrow and keep 15 men on the field.
    They also have to seriously cut down on the aimless shooting and reduce their average wides in the league from 16 per match to about a maximum of 9.

Do both of the above and they can win.

Cavan have to be really disciplined tomorrow and keep 15 men on the field.
    They also have to seriously cut down on the aimless shooting and reduce their average wides in the league from 16 per match to about a maximum of 9.

Do both of the above and they can win.

If we play for 70 minutes like we did for 35 minutes in some league games, most noticeably first half vs Kerry, there's no reason we can't beat Monaghan.

That's easier said than done though and free taking is still a huge issue.

Lads, which is the East Terrace?
    Is it the one opposite the stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Lads, which is the East Terrace?
    Is it the one opposite the stand?

Yeah it is.

Match day. All we can ask is they do their best. If they do and lose, then so be it, Monaghan are a good side, but I just hope they leave all out on the pitch, whatever the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Great result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Well done to Cavan. A real great chance to reach a long overdue provincial final now. If you do who knows on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

That'll do lads .....that'll do

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Well done on year win 2nite....enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,845 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Monaghan man, was at the game. Well done, you were the better team from the first minute. Gwan and win the Ulster final now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Great performance today. I'm still massively worried about the mindset of the lads. To go 8 up and retreat like we did was dangerous reminded me of Kerry in the league. It's a long term project maybe a fitness and conditioning problem but the blueprint is there for a very good side.

Great to see another player have the ability to stick it over from 45M out. Galligan isn't a free taker.

Should have the beating of Armagh or Down. Play with the same passion and intensify in a final and who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,845 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

piplip87 wrote: »
    Great performance today. I'm still massively worried about the mindset of the lads. To go 8 up and retreat like we did was dangerous reminded me of Kerry in the league. It's a long term project maybe a fitness and conditioning problem but the blueprint is there for a very good side.

Great to see another player have the ability to stick it over from 45M out. Galligan isn't a free taker.

Should have the beating of Armagh or Down. Play with the same passion and intensify in a final and who knows.

A better Monaghan would have taken you in the second half tbh. Work to be done, but the systems you used to create space where great. Hope to get a look at it on the telly.

Delighted Cavan won but don’t get carried away lads. It’s a work in progress.

* Cavan kick outs were poor. Not winning even 40% of them.
    * Shooting in 2 nd half not great. Rushed and short. 5 kicked to Monaghan keeper altogether yesterday.
    * Forwards not showing enough for the ball in second half but Cavan kept possession well overall in their own half.

Monaghan won the midfield battle too easily imo.
    Cavan backs were very good.
    Martin Reilly easily the best player on the pitch, intelligent footballer, great passer.
    Mickey Graham used Mackey very well to come on and keep possession thus steadying the ship.
    Still a work in progress but getting there. Armagh or Down will pose many problems too so can’t be taken lightly.

Delighted Cavan won but don’t get carried away lads. It’s a work in progress.

* Cavan kick outs were poor. Not winning even 40% of them.
    * Shooting in 2 nd half not great. Rushed and short. 5 kicked to Monaghan keeper altogether yesterday.
    * Forwards not showing enough for the ball in second half but Cavan kept possession well overall in their own half.

Monaghan won the midfield battle too easily imo.
    Cavan backs were very good.
    Martin Reilly easily the best player on the pitch, intelligent footballer, great passer.
    Mickey Graham used Mackey very well to come on and keep possession thus steadying the ship.
    Still a work in progress but getting there. Armagh or Down will pose many problems too so can’t be taken lightly.

Perfect post to sum it up.

It was 1-8 to 4 points at half time so we scored 5 points to Monaghan's 8 in the second half which is disappointing. We were lucky however in that Monaghan missed some chances they really should have scored, and that I would have expected them too.

McManus didn't look fit and was poor for such a big game player but Faulkner didn't give him an inch.

There is plenty to work on though. Ray Galligan had an off day which is surprising. His distribution was questionable at times and we were lucky on a couple of occasions not to get punished for mistakes. And don't get me started on the free taking. Unfortunately for him, when the pressure is on, he showed against yesterday he isn't the free taker we need.

Mickey got it right though. Moving McVeety inside was exactly what was needed. Holding Mackey on the bench was a move that I've said should have happened years ago.

We also had a bench who could improve the team with Ciaran Brady, Mackey, Conroy and Jack Brady performing well after coming on. With Conroy nailing that long range free, you'd have to wonder if he should be in the starting 15 for his free taking alone.

Was great to see the lads outside on the training pitch afterwards completing a warm down with big smiles on their faces.

Down or Armagh lay ahead and neither will be easy.

Down v Armagh on delayed BBC NI coverage at 7 with highlights of cavan game on after. Programme on 7 - 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

Great Result:
    Tactics were excellent. In possession we made the pitch as wide as possible which made it difficult for Monaghan to suffocate the runners.
    In defence we tightens up the space in the middle forcing them to shoot from poor positions
    Our shooting was very good overall, especially in the first half.

Kickouts were very poor - galligan striking was off. He duffed one over the sideline in the second half, a few others were chippy backspinning balls which are clear advantage for the player coming onto the ball. We need massive improvement here in order to not get burned on it as I would say we far exceeded our expected return on shots taken.

Jason and Martin were the standout players for me

Watched the highlights on BBC. Reilly looked really good with a couple of great passes. Penalty was soft but can see why it was given.

Armagh v down game was a crazy match. I think cavan will have enough to beat Armagh but definitely can't underestimate them.

Watched the highlights on BBC. Reilly looked really good with a couple of great passes. Penalty was soft but can see why it was given.

Armagh v down game was a crazy match. I think cavan will have enough to beat Armagh but definitely can't underestimate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p079pdm8

Full deferred coverage of the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

An excellent performance all round.....Im just surprised Conor Rehill is getting no plaudits.....he was excellent, so composed on the ball, and looks like he has been playing at this level for years.

My MOTM contenders were Martin Reilly, Faulkner, McLoughlin, McVeety & Rehill....I cant understand why Sky gave it to GMac, who, while playing well, drifted out of the game for long periods

The best bit for me, is that there is loads to work on. There was some wayward shooting at times, and some mistakes made going forward....a few dropped short and a few bad wides....but on the whole an excellent display

Advertisement