Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cavan089

Let’s hope the band line up properly this time. Don’t want any of our players getting battered before throw in like the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Have we not beaten them in Breffni since that?
    If we're relying on the children in the band to fight our corner we're in big trouble!!!!
    I think if Cavan can score more goals than Armagh we're in with a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

An excellent performance all round.....Im just surprised Conor Rehill is getting no plaudits.....he was excellent, so composed on the ball, and looks like he has been playing at this level for years.

My MOTM contenders were Martin Reilly, Faulkner, McLoughlin, McVeety & Rehill....I cant understand why Sky gave it to GMac, who, while playing well, drifted out of the game for long periods

The best bit for me, is that there is loads to work on. There was some wayward shooting at times, and some mistakes made going forward....a few dropped short and a few bad wides....but on the whole an excellent display

Sky seemed to want to make a star of GMac before even throw in. They were bigging him up in the pre match and the minute he scored a point, he was billed as ''Cavan's star''.

Clerkin has since come out I believe and admitted he got it wrong.

We beat Armagh in 2016 in Breffni in the Quarter Final.

The team that day:

Cavan: R Galligan (0-01, ’45), P Faulkner, K Clarke, R Dunne, F Flanagan, C Moynagh (0-01), N Murray, T Corr, G McKiernan (0-03), D McVeety (1-01), C Mackey, M Reilly (1-00, pen), D Givney (0-01), M Argue, S Johnston (0-07, 4f).
    Subs: C Brady for Murray, E Keating for Argue, J Brady (0-02) for Keating (BC), K Brady for Faulkner, G Smith for Johnston, L Buchanan for McKiernan

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Derek O’Mahony down to referee it.
    Wasn’t he the referee that Cavan had issues with in the U.21 semi-final against the Dubs in 2014? Gave the Dubs a few handy frees if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Well lads, any word from home on how the squad is doing in it's prep for Sunday?

• Advertisement

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Well lads, any word from home on how the squad is doing in it's prep for Sunday?

Very little coming out but I haven’t heard of any injuries. Graham saying he is keeping feet on the ground which is good.

Very much afraid of Armagh.
    You never know what they’ll come up with.
    I had more confidence before the Monaghan game.

I think it's a 50/50 game, am surprised to see most people predicting a Cavan win.
    Looking like a wet day also, which will suit a physically stronger Armagh side.
    It'll take a performance for the two halves to win, a good first half and running out of steam in the second half wont be enough this time. I'd be worried about whether Cavan can win enough ball at midfield, McKiernan isn't a natural midfielder and Armagh will target him big time. Getting to an Ulster funal would be great, could be the best chance for years to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan will win.

Tanko why you say McKiernan isn't a natural midfielder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Nervous but optimistic , we are a better team than armagh but whether we are capable of putting 2 performances in a row is anyone's guess
    I'm pretty sure McGeeney will try every trick in the book to unsettle our lads & hopefully we don't react and fall into the trap
    Galligans kickouts and free taking will have to improve big time to give us the edge
    But i still think we will get through , I'd like to think we will have 6-7 points to spare but I'll be happy with the sloppiest of 1 point wins & an ulster final appearance

• Advertisement

Great there's no injury worries. Just finished listening to the Joe GAA hour pod and it has me riled.
    Cavan v Armagh from the 20min mark for 25mins and whole lot is focused on Armagh and how they'll beat Cavan. Now they mention Cavan but equates to 2,3 mins if that.
    I get Cavan are favourites but it's fairly bias all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Great there's no injury worries. Just finished listening to the Joe GAA hour pod and it has me riled.
    Cavan v Armagh from the 20min mark for 25mins and whole lot is focused on Armagh and how they'll beat Cavan. Now they mention Cavan but equates to 2,3 mins if that.
    I get Cavan are favourites but it's fairly bias all the same.

Well you have Stevie McDonnell on the GAA Hour, Oisin McConville on Second Captains and Aaron Kernan on Off the Ball,podcasts are at full Armagh saturation right now

celt262 wrote: »
    Cavan will win.

Tanko why you say McKiernan isn't a natural midfielder?

I think playing in the half forward line suits him far better. Even though he's a big man his fielding isnt a strong point. And he doesnt exactly like tracking back marking his man.
    I'd like to see him playing on the forty in a more attacking role but who would play midfield then.

Well you have Stevie McDonnell on the GAA Hour, Oisin McConville on Second Captains and Aaron Kernan on Off the Ball,podcasts are at full Armagh saturation right now

McDonnell aside I was surprised. Suppose the fault lies with the presenter not spreading the convo.
    McDonnell made me laugh with his "Stefan starts". Don't think he will, he's well worth a few points as an impact sub.

It could be down to the coaches. We all saw Mcgeeneys ****housery shouldering the Down player. He'll have them pumped.
    Hopefully Mickey has the lads calm (fingers crossed Moynagh is all zen come Sunday). Cavan play their game and they'll win.

Im calling an Armagh red

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I saw a young lad at Bloom today. He was wearing a Cavan jersey - God bless him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

McDonnell aside I was surprised. Suppose the fault lies with the presenter not spreading the convo.
    McDonnell made me laugh with his "Stefan starts". Don't think he will, he's well worth a few points as an impact sub.

It could be down to the coaches. We all saw Mcgeeneys ****housery shouldering the Down player. He'll have them pumped.
    Hopefully Mickey has the lads calm (fingers crossed Moynagh is all zen come Sunday). Cavan play their game and they'll win.

Im calling an Armagh red

I enjoy the GAA hour, but Wooly is an eejit. Wasn't a lot of analysis on Cavan after the last game either other than praising their workrate, there was probably more about Monaghan's decline.

I'm a Donegal man who spent a lot of years living in Cavan when growing up, so will be fully behind youse on Sunday. McGeeney will as usual try to play every trick in the book on Sunday, but as you say, if Cavan keep their heads and play their game, they'll win. I'm excited to see how far Mickey can take them this year, a lot of talent there

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

TCM wrote: »
    I saw a young lad at Bloom today. He was wearing a Cavan jersey - God bless him.

Sure the dubs love all things cavan. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Yevon wrote: »
    Bad news coming from camp lads. Gearoid out.

Tell the bit hi?

Derek O’Mahony down to referee it.
    Wasn’t he the referee that Cavan had issues with in the U.21 semi-final against the Dubs in 2014? Gave the Dubs a few handy frees if I recall correctly.

He was up to his old tricks again today, that was never a black card for Faulkner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

tanko wrote: »
    He was up to his old tricks again today, that was never a black card for Faulkner.

Thought he was very poor all round. I thought Faulkner left the foot in and tripped the Armagh player so technically a black card. Having said that, one of their lads did the same 10 minutes before hand and wasn’t black carded.

Weird feeling leaving today. A combination of feeling we got out of jail AND let it slip (was sure that last effort from Mackey was going over).

McVeety was a powerhouse today. Mackey kicked three superb pressure points. But without naming names a lot of lads didn’t do themselves justice.

Wind played a huge part in the game and it was a very flat first half and only picked up towards the end. Loads of tension and drama at the end but pedestrian enough for 50 minutes for an Ulster semi final.

• Advertisement

When we were four down, I thought that was it so I’ll happily take the draw, although it does feel like a missed opportunity.

A better referee would have stopped some of the off the ball shenanigans. McVeety & Martin Reilly will be black and blue tomorrow and it started from even before the throw in.

Disappointing from Ciaran Brady with the red. He was very lucky it didn’t cost us today and he should be wiser by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Yeah the nonsense from Armagh and their number 2 was disgraceful. I didn't see what he got the yellow for but I believe it was a box to mcveety.

Not a great game but Cavan will feel they have enough in a replay to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

Will be lots of knocks for next day, so hopefully they clear up. Jarlath Óg Burns is a very good midfielder. He was dominant around McKiernan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

tanko wrote: »

Just seen it on Sunday game never a black card. Yellow yes but black card wasn't right.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Just seen it on Sunday game never a black card. Yellow yes but black card wasn't right.

He was a big loss for Cavan because it meant Killian Clarke had to drop back.

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Yeah the nonsense from Armagh and their number 2 was disgraceful. I didn't see what he got the yellow for but I believe it was a box to mcveety.

Not a great game but Cavan will feel they have enough in a replay to win.

I was directly in line with that incident and he gave McVeety a slap in the face off the ball. Not massive contact but the linesman saw it and flagged and if the letter of the law was applied, it was a straight red. Promptly subbed after that as he was already treading a fine line pucking off the ball non-stop.

Thought Grimley was extremely lucky not to see red for drawing on Gearoid in the second half.

Look, we 100% can do better. We were curiously flat in the first half and lacked intensity for long spells- but what I loved is that despite shopping 1-2 and going 4 behind our lads didn’t panic.

A lot of lads didn’t do themselves justice so I really feel we have a far better 70 minutes in us than that.

Would love to see Caoimhghín back on the panel as a direct corner forward for 10 mins at the end of that game could have made some difference

Bad news coming from camp lads. Gearoid out.

For a lad that was out he did well enough yesterday!!!

He spent a few days in hospital last week. Illness and an allergic reaction to medication. Still wasnt right yesterday but decided to start and got through the game. Did reasonably well I suppose.

Was only pulling your leg. Could see he wasn’t at 100% but still put in a big shift and stood up to be counted. I really can’t believe any Cavan fan worth their salt that doubts his brilliance and I really dont think he gets the credit he deserves.

Much like Paul Fitzpatrick said on Twitter about Mackey. Cavan fans don’t seem to realise how good he is. Same could be said about McKiernan and a fee of our players. Too quick to knock them online and from the stands.

Great to see that Cavan never gave up yesterday. They seem to have a great mental attitude.
    I think they will win the replay as they can play better and rise their game. Armagh might have been at their best yesterday.
    A worrying thing though is the lack of scores from the Cavan full forward line and some of the shots again falling short. Far too many Hail Mary efforts that need to be cut down on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

. . The lads on we are cavan picked a best Cavan team of the past 25 years, a few months ago, and he wasn't included.. Ridiculous really..

Advertisement