Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Any word on the referee for the replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

rrs wrote: »
    . . The lads on we are cavan picked a best Cavan team of the past 25 years, a few months ago, and he wasn't included.. Ridiculous really..

Yet they looked to include Trevor Crowe who, while a cult hero, played one season for Cavan!

Any word on the referee for the replay?

Anyone know yet?
    Hope O’ Mahony doesn’t get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know yet?
    Hope O’ Mahony doesn’t get it again.

It's Paddy Neilan from Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

tanko wrote:
    It's Paddy Neilan from Roscommon.

Oh ffs from bad to worse

• Advertisement

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Oh ffs from bad to worse

Gave Armagh everything against Tipp a few years ago iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Gave Armagh everything against Tipp a few years ago iirc.

Hope we go out and nail them and it doesnt matter who the ref is. I feel Mickey will benefit from seeing the game back and have a gameplan ready.

Any word on the panel's recovery. McVeety, McKiernan, Smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Hope we go out and nail them and it doesnt matter who the ref is. I feel Mickey will benefit from seeing the game back and have a gameplan ready.

I agree with this but I also hope that the ref and linesman call the ridiculous off the ball stuff. Nothing wrong with a fair strong hit but Armagh overstepped the mark how many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Giggernaut wrote: »

Smith was hamstring, so its pretty much guaranteed that hes gone for 3-4 weeks min

Havent heard anything re the rest....is it true Armagh are appealing their red card? Both were reds but Id be appealing Faulkners black

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

People complain alot about referees.often rightly so.but generally i find that the better footballing team will get the decisions there way on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know the rules regarding concussion.
    Jarlath Burns looked concussed the last day. Does that rule him out of the replay?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

We're clutching at straws worrying about Burn's possible concussion. The bottom line is if we cannot beat a full strength Armagh we have no business lining out against Tyrone or Donegal in an Ulster Final.

We did very well against Armagh for most of the game last week, restricting them to 7 points when they had a strong breeze in their favour. We also held them to 2 points during the last 30 minutes of the game including extra time.

Our problem was the first 20 minutes of the second half where they started to run amok while kicking into a strong wind. I think they scored 1-5 during that period. If we can keep our concentration for the full 70 minutes plus we should beat this Armagh team and earn the right to have a right crack at Donegal or Tyrone in the final. Of course it would help if we scored a couple of goals - we only created 1 half chance last week while Armagh created 3 good goal scoring chances during the game.

We need to try and get fast ball into McVeety before Armagh get their sweeper back into position. McVeety showed in the Div 2 League Final in Croke Park that he is capable of causing serious damage if he gets a bit of space.

tanko wrote: »
    Anyone know the rules regarding concussion.
    Jarlath Burns looked concussed the last day. Does that rule him out of the replay?

I think you cant play for at least a week but Im not sure

Armagh are, according to Paul Fitzpatrick, saying he was not concussed

https://twitter.com/irishnewssport/status/1135650990110203905

Fitzpatrick also saying that he was told that he was all over the place

https://twitter.com/moefitzpatrick/status/1135652878473998337

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭celt262

In fairness to Armagh i would imagine that they wont want to let Cavan know if he is playing or not until as close to throw in as possible.

Would make you wonder is the pathetic attempt at appealing the sending off a desperate throw of the dice not to lose a second key player for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Donaghy's appeal turned down. Proper order.

Anyways, back to us. One can assume that Gerry Smith had a hamstring issue so he is out (hopefully not a full tear, but we have to assume he's out for a few weeks). With Faulkner and Clarke moved back to CB, I would have Kiernan in at half back.

Ideally bring Enda Flanagan in at half forward. Keep Mackey and Stephen Murray for tiring limbs with 20 minutes to go or so.

Would freshen up the full forward line as McVeety was carrying that on his own. Madden has the talent and needs to step up. Martin Reilly needs to be further out the field and try and find some space to pull strings. Caoimhin Reilly has to be considered for the bench at least.

Not sure Conroy has the pace for a game like this, but if he starts he needs to be thrown the ball for frees. He has the ability.

Would still like Jelly as an option to spring off the bench if things were tight. Can win ball, knows how to win a free or two and can certainly take them close in.

Martin Reilly should be a wing half back and let him run at them.

Im not sure what to make of McVeetys performance last week to be honest

He worked extremely hard, and was definitely up for the fight, and he took dogs abuse. One on one I would encourage him to run at his man, as he has the pace and power to beat pretty much anyone.

But I thought there were a few occasions where he tried to take on 2 and 3 players, and he got bottled up.....granted, he never lost the ball, but the ref on Sunday was very lax re overcarrying.......other refs may have pinged him

I would rather see him try and draw in the extra players, and then lay the ball off just before contact......you are then taking players out of the game, and are on the front foot....also bring the black card risk into it fort the opposition

Dont get me wrong, he was very good last weekend, but, for me at least, a few tweaks in his game would turn an 8 out of 10 to a 9 or 9.5

"I would rather see him try and draw in the extra players, and then lay the ball off just before contact......you are then taking players out of the game, and are on the front foot....also bring the black card risk into it fort the opposition"

Fair point but in the first half against the wind we didn't play with any pace or width so there more often or not were no runners for him to lay it off to. If he did, some of the lads didn't have his strength or tenacity to hold onto the ball once they came into contact with some robust challenges.

He was a monster as a target and kicked two big scores.

What I want from our big players is that when things aren't going well that they are the lads to step up, look for the ball and try and make things happen. That was McVeety for the whole 90 minutes last Sunday.

Yevon wrote: »
    If Caoimhin doesn't make the bench at the very least next Sunday I would worry about his future. If he's back fit and management think he doesn't have anything to offer, at least as much as Madden or Kiernan the last day... Well then he won't be long losing interest. And who could blame him?

We need to go at Armagh a bit more. I feel there's a level of conservatism we are adopting that is unnecessary.

It's also very funny listening to interviews from Clarke and McLoughlin etc. Its obvious they see themselves as a step above Armagh. It's great really but flies in the face of almost every bit punditry out there in the national media

You would imagine that Caoimhin would have more to offer than Oisin Pierson and would have been better option to bring on last week if he was there.

Is Caoimhin Reilly even on the panel?
    I couldn’t find his name but might have been looking at an old panel.

• Advertisement

He is yes. Hasn't made a match day panel yet though.

If he doesn't this weekend there is something else to it other than fitness.

"I would rather see him try and draw in the extra players, and then lay the ball off just before contact......you are then taking players out of the game, and are on the front foot....also bring the black card risk into it fort the opposition"

Fair point but in the first half against the wind we didn't play with any pace or width so there more often or not were no runners for him to lay it off to. If he did, some of the lads didn't have his strength or tenacity to hold onto the ball once they came into contact with some robust challenges.

He was a monster as a target and kicked two big scores.

What I want from our big players is that when things aren't going well that they are the lads to step up, look for the ball and try and make things happen. That was McVeety for the whole 90 minutes last Sunday.

As a target man, he was brilliant....he scrapped for everything, got dogs abuse and came back for more.......you cant, or shouldnt ask for more

When the ball was kicked in early, I agree, he rarely had runners and had to do it himself.

But I found that, when he drifted out, he took it into contact too much....as did a few others.....on numerous occasions, I was expecting overcarrying calls that never came. I just think if he played with his head up a bit, we could get more out of him, and he would take less punishment.

I read somewhere today....the Irish News I think.....that Gearoid kicked 5 wides on Sunday...thats something that can be improved upon......might be the winning of the game

Re Caoimhin....its very strange.....I would have thought hes worth a shot.....but hes obviously not doing enough in training

I have no insider knowledge but would be stunned if Mickey Graham didn’t rate Caoimhin. He’s clearly class and even though he was messed around totally last year he kept plugging away.

Given that he was out for quite some time I am assuming Mickey Graham is waiting till he is 100%- as he should do. We had a really bad spell in the last while of rushing players back who clearly weren’t fit and did more damage.

Another week’s training and hopefully we get to see him sprung from the bench with the game in the mix for him to bang in a goal.

If Caoimhin doesn't make the bench at the very least next Sunday I would worry about his future. If he's back fit and management think he doesn't have anything to offer, at least as much as Madden or Kiernan the last day... Well then he won't be long losing interest. And who could blame him?

We need to go at Armagh a bit more. I feel there's a level of conservatism we are adopting that is unnecessary.

It's also very funny listening to interviews from Clarke and McLoughlin etc. Its obvious they see themselves as a step above Armagh. It's great really but flies in the face of almost every bit punditry out there in the national media

At this stage the whole Caoimhin debate reminds me a bit of the whole Reid/Ireland/Hoolahan Irish soccer debacles - we seem to talk more about the players not there than those that are.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player but you’d think he was Peter Canavan the way some are speaking about him.

McGleenan, whom I didn’t rate, had his reservations, and now it appears Graham, who I do rate, has some so there has to be some issue there we are not privy to.

Cavan didn’t play well last Sunday and still almost won the game. If we get a bit more out of the likes of Reilly, McKiernan and Madden, we should win.

I fully expect Burns to play and the best man to pick him up is probably Killian Clarke.

I’d like to see Oisin Kiernan & Killian Brady into the backline to replace Clarke & Gerry Smith.

Backline of:
    McLoughlin Faulkner Brady
    Moynagh Kiernan Rehill

He's the most exciting inside forward we've seen in years, he's played a good few games for Cavan and been excellent in some. It's not like people are talking up some lad with no experience.

You want to play Oisin Pierson at centre back.....? :confused:

He played there for Castlerahan last year was my understanding, and to great effect.

I’d prefer Clarke to be there but we need someone to marshal Burns and he’s the man in my book.

I’d also start Chris Conroy and drop him back as a sweeper to support the backline.

He’s also on the pitch for long range frees.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    He played there for Castlerahan last year was my understanding, and to great effect.

I’d prefer Clarke to be there but we need someone to marshal Burns and he’s the man in my book.

I’d also start Chris Conroy and drop him back as a sweeper to support the backline.

He’s also on the pitch for long range frees.

You have the wrong oisin

ah here. Let’s not go full tinfoil. He’s been injured for a long spell. Everyone in the county can see his talent and I’m going to guess that the management team want to wait till he’s fully fit. Has Caoimhin even played a full competitive game for the Bridge this year?

Also, Pierson at Centre half back? Are you serious? A young man with 10 minutes of championship football being moved from full forward to Centre half back? You have to be on a wind-up!

ah here. Let’s not go full tinfoil. He’s been injured for a long spell. Everyone in the county can see his talent and I’m going to guess that the management team want to wait till he’s fully fit. Has Caoimhin even played a full competitive game for the Bridge this year?
    !

The Friday night before the Monaghan game he scored 3-5 for the bridge.

celt262 wrote: »
    You have the wrong oisin

I do indeed. Slip of the tongue or finger in this case!

• Advertisement

Also, Pierson at Centre half back? Are you serious? A young man with 10 minutes of championship football being moved from full forward to Centre half back? You have to be on a wind-up!

I did of course mean Oisin Kiernan, I got the two Oisin’s mixed up but I would have thought that would be obvious tbh. I hardly wanted Pierson CHB.

Advertisement