Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

celt262 wrote: »
    The Friday night before the Monaghan game he scored 3-5 for the bridge.

If I’m not mistaken that was his first start of the season. So he’s not had much game time in fairness

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I did of course mean Oisin Kiernan, I got the two Oisin’s mixed up but I would have thought that would be obvious tbh. I hardly wanted Pierson CHB.

Fair enough. I was wondering whether the excitement last weekend had gotten to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

If I’m not mistaken that was his first start of the season. So he’s not had much game time in fairness

He also played some of the Cavan challenge games. I think he got 1-2 or 1-3 against Offaly but apparently wasn’t great against the Dubs.

That was his only club game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭celt262

Anyone hear any talk about SJ been back?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Heard there would be a few surprises in tomorrow’s team.

• Advertisement

Heard there would be a few surprises in tomorrow’s team.

Yesss! Dermot McCabe rolls back the years and togs out at the centre of the park to put manners on young Burns....

Yas have me intrigued now lads. Can't make the game today because I'm being dragged to Croke Park but looking forward to seeing the 26 named now!

Yas have me intrigued now lads. Can't make the game today because I'm being dragged to Croke Park but looking forward to seeing the 26 named now!

Missing out on a trip to scenic Clones AND having to watch that shower :)

You’re not having much luck! At least it’s sunny up here.

Really looking forward to heading down. Hope we bring a bigger crowd than last Sunday.

Missing out on a trip to scenic Clones AND having to watch that shower :)

You’re not having much luck! At least it’s sunny up here.

Really looking forward to heading down. Hope we bring a bigger crowd than last Sunday.

I took her on for better or worse lads! ;)

I took her on for better or worse lads! ;)

Don’t tell me she’s from Meath...

• Advertisement

Don’t tell me she’s from Meath...

The way Joe McQuillan is reffing this, I’ll be lucky to get out of here alive!

I see Mackey named to start. I’d hope to god he doesn’t and that’s just gamesmanship on Mickey’s behalf!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I assume this is BS,huge backwards step if true,well past it

I assume this is BS,huge backwards step if true,well past it

Like him or loathe him, he’s our best forward of the past decade or so. Perfect impact sub like Mackey IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

23 : 17 !
    Send them Orange men home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

What a performance!
    Mcveety is a superb footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

When push came to shove we had plenty of leaders today, Clarke, Moynagh, Niall Murray, McLoughlin, Reilly and in particular McVeety. Absolutely delighted this evening.

Great performance today. However Cavan slacked off a few times and seemed to lose concentration. They were able to kick on again when Armagh got close but will need 100% concentration if they are to trouble Donegal.
    Mc Veety was man of the match by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Will tickets for the final be on general sale for a short while online or only through the clubs anyone know?

Just watched it on TV. The speed at which we moved the ball forward was a revelation compared to the slow, conservative fare I saw on offer in Croker today.

The one worrying matter would be the goal chances. For a team who gave up so few in the League, we were lucky not to concede today.

Nobbies wrote: »
    Will tickets for the final be on general sale for a short while online or only through the clubs anyone know?

I think they will going by memory from previous years.

• Advertisement

That was probably the best display I've seen from a Cavan team when it mattered since the league semi final in Mullingar vs the Rossies in 2001.

Monster performances all over the park. Special mention to Conor Moynagh, who is having some season, and although he made one potentially costly error early on (and busted a gut to get a block in to atone himself) he covered every blade, kicked two huge points and created so much of our play.

I honestly think that was Killian Clarke's finest 70 minutes. The lad was a beast today. He won a 20 / 80 challenge in the second half that led to a score and he was a force of nature driving forward. Sublime.

Conor Rehill- how is this lad so good in his debut season. He picked up some amount of breaking ball, covered yards and yards and popped up with a score.

Dara McVeety. I actually think he won every single ball played into him. He kicked three MONSTER scores when the game was in the mixer and created god knows how many. I think he was close to unmarkable today.

Hard to call who was man of the match.

Niall Murray and Galligan both had 100% records on frees. Jason McLaughlin and Padraig Faulkner both excellent. Oisn Kiernan had a brilliant game as well.

Magnificent contributions from Martin Reilly and Mackey. Gearoid was causing all sorts of problems in the first half.

Jaysus, that was just great. And lovely to be on the field at the end savouring a magnificent performance and a final to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Well done, Cavan.
    But had Armagh taken their chances it would have been close and Donegal would have taken more of them. So a tight ship is needed for the final.

This team is giving great enjoyment this year. Even during the league despite results not going our way the improvements from last year were obvious.

Mickey Graham must take tremendous credit for getting the most out of these group of players and for the brand of football that they are playing it is enjoyable to watch Cavan football again.

The last few years I have always said that we have had no leaders on the field but the lads seem to be really up for the challenge this year and are standing up when needed.

Special mention to Conor Moynagh yesterday i have been very critical of him in the past but he was outstanding yesterday. Also Conor Rehill what a debut season this lad is having he is playing like he has been an inter county footballer for years.

Looking forward to the next two weeks now there will be a great buzz around Cavan and i'm sure Mickey will have the lads ready for the biggest game we have had in 18 years.

The defence were exposed a lot yesterday and Armagh had 3/4 goal chances. Donegal won’t miss that many so a lot of futtering has to be cut out and Galligan has to make sure of his passes.
    I’m not criticizing them, I’m saying that they have to seriously limit the mistakes or Donegal will punish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Fantastic performance yesterday

These lads have really brought pride back to the jersey and fought like their lives depended on it
    Yes we have up goal chances but we never panicked and kept plugging away , mc veety & moynagh had great games rehill too
    Gmc started well but drifted out when he got special attention , he doesn't look fully fit though

23 points is a hell of a score and it was lovely to see the pure raw joy & emotions of the Cavan supporters faces at the final whistle

Really looking forward to the final and hope we can give a good account of ourselves and hope we don't just sit back because if we drive at Donegal we can win this game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

The defence were exposed a lot yesterday and Armagh had 3/4 goal chances. Donegal won’t miss that many so a lot of futtering has to be cut out and Galligan has to make sure of his passes.
    I’m not criticizing them, I’m saying that they have to seriously limit the mistakes or Donegal will punish them.

Its great to see us in an Ulster Final, and pretty pleasing in a way that there are lots to work on. Goal chances were a worry, but Clarkes was as a result of a basic error that (hopefully) wont be repeated

McVeety excellent in the second half, after a first half where he won a lot of ball but missed a few chances.

Mackey again added a bit of class when he came on, and great to see Caoimhin in the squad.

I would suspect that Galligan and Maddens places in the 15 for Sunday week are in trouble, as they didnt look at the races

Gmac was good but Ive seen him better, hopefully we get the big performance hes capable off in 2 weeks.

Moynagh very good, even if there was an error or 2, but his work rate is second to none

Its great to see us in an Ulster Final, and pretty pleasing in a way that there are lots to work on. Goal chances were a worry, but Clarkes was as a result of a basic error that (hopefully) wont be repeated

McVeety excellent in the second half, after a first half where he won a lot of ball but missed a few chances.

Mackey again added a bit of class when he came on, and great to see Caoimhin in the squad.

I would suspect that Galligan and Maddens places in the 15 for Sunday week are in trouble, as they didnt look at the races

Gmac was good but Ive seen him better, hopefully we get the big performance hes capable off in 2 weeks.

Moynagh very good, even if there was an error or 2, but his work rate is second to none

Galligan and Madden were the only forwards not to contribute in scores.
    I thought Galligan tried hard and Madden looked a little leggy. He lost possession by waiting for the ball to come to him instead of going for it and didn’t even try to chase the Armagh man in possession and it led to a score. He might have a great outing yet though so I wouldn’t be too quick to drop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Galligan and Madden were the only forwards not to contribute in scores.
    I thought Galligan tried hard and Madden looked a little leggy. He lost possession by waiting for the ball to come to him instead of going for it and didn’t even try to chase the Armagh man in possession and it led to a score. He might have a great outing yet though so I wouldn’t be too quick to drop him.

Id love to be proved wrong......for me Madden has the talent, he just either lacks confidence or lacks the bravery & workrate to succeed in Ulster Championsip

• Advertisement

Giggernaut wrote: »

Cheers for that. By the looks of it, they are being snapped up pretty quickly.

Advertisement