Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Cavan have gone up a level this year but looks like they will need to go up a couple of levels to be at Donegal's level

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Too many things went wrong today to list.
    If you start with No.1 you could fill a full page writing about him alone.
    Further out I thought for a long time that it had become a non-contact sport.
    Lots of lessons to learn from today’s match.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Cavan started very nervy yesterday which I suppose wasn't all that surprising. Too many unforced errors and bad kicking/shooting in the first half and the game got away from them. I know it was pretty much game over but they kicked 2-11 in the second half so have to take that as a positive moving into the next game.

With today's draw for the 3rd round Cavan must have a decent chance of getting a winnable game in round 4. If Armagh beat Mayo they'll have one of Kildare/Tyrone Westmeath/Clare or Laois/Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Went to defensive in the first half. Yet Donegal still opened us up. Lack of ruthlessness in front of goal again. We will not beat big teams by fisting over when there's a man open on the square. The first half was fairly bad but in fairness they changed things up at half time and went and had a go at it. Showed we can bang In a couple of goals when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Looking one round beyond again, if Cavan manage to get to the Quarter finals it'll be a game against Rosscommon away, then Cork / Qualifier Team then the Dubs as a final game.
    I cant make it out exactly but I think the middle game is the "neutral" game in Croker and the game against the Dubs would be in Breffni (its the only game where Cavan/ qualifier team are named first on the GAA fixtures listings, so surely would be the home team).

Anyhow thats down the road, but still and all, surely the manageable prospect to get to a semi final of beating Rosscomon and potentially Cork and a free shot at the already qualified Dubs in Breffni would mean the lads will rise themselves to put in a perfomance in the Round 4 qualifier.

• Advertisement

Looking one round beyond again, if Cavan manage to get to the Quarter finals it'll be a game against Rosscommon away, then Cork / Qualifier Team then the Dubs as a final game.
    I cant make it out exactly but I think the middle game is the "neutral" game in Croker and the game against the Dubs would be in Breffni (its the only game where Cavan/ qualifier team are named first on the GAA fixtures listings, so surely would be the home team).

Anyhow thats down the road, but still and all, surely the manageable prospect to get to a semi final of beating Rosscomon and potentially Cork and a free shot at the already qualified Dubs in Breffni would mean the lads will rise themselves to put in a perfomance in the Round 4 qualifier.

I can’t see Cavan getting to a semi final.
    Donegal attacked them straight down the middle yesterday and every time it yielded dividends.
    Parted like the Red Sea.
    Other teams will have seen that and apply similar tactics. Press Cavan on the kick outs and they have very little. On the long kick outs they didn’t even contest most of them. Very disappointing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Really need to avoid Tyrone in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

I believe the players never believed they could actually beat donegal and with that showed them too much respect

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Tough weekend after the wave of Ulster final optimism. Donegal never let up and as hard as we tried there was little to get the fans shouting. A few moments late in the second half but the game was over when Donegal turned over procession and scored their goal. Being honest it was dead at half time but I had hope.

One thing I noticed is how dismissive the media are of Cavan. Meath were truly awful but in some sections were being praised that they'll come back stronger etc. Armagh the same, great team. Getting better, will only get stronger etc.
    With Cavan it was fairly negative or the pundits display little knowledge of the team or players. You can see them glancing at notes to recall a players name.
    No doubt Meath and Armagh have to ability to do what the media are saying. I'm just perplexed at the lack of enthusiasm for Cavan.

On Sunday Cavan had an awful, nervy, error ridden first half but battled in the second.

Am I looking at this with blinkers on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

It was a gamble that backfired on mickey with the changes
    Our full forward line offered nothing in the first half

Galligans kick outs were terrible but his shot stopping was good
    Our lads let Donegal walk through them though not sure we had a choice

Its not all negative we played well second half and didn't roll over like past teams may have

We know we need a good draw in the qualifiers but for this team to progress and for people to take us serious we need to take a big scalp like Tyrone or Mayo
    Will it happen ? I'm not so sure.

This team has gave us great days this year and it was great to see the sea of blue around clones on final day again
    Heres hoping for a few more days in the sun

Cavan4sam ......maybe 😂

• Advertisement

Midfield needs sorting out as does the full forward line. Wiped out in midfield.

Midfield needs sorting out as does the full forward line. Wiped out in midfield.

Agree with this we're missing a mobile block who can ball :D

Liam Buchanan still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

cavan4sam wrote: »
    It was a gamble that backfired on mickey with the changes
    Our full forward line offered nothing in the first half

Galligans kick outs were terrible but his shot stopping was good
    Our lads let Donegal walk through them though not sure we had a choice

Its not all negative we played well second half and didn't roll over like past teams may have

We know we need a good draw in the qualifiers but for this team to progress and for people to take us serious we need to take a big scalp like Tyrone or Mayo
    Will it happen ? I'm not so sure.

This team has gave us great days this year and it was great to see the sea of blue around clones on final day again
    Heres hoping for a few more days in the sun

Cavan4sam ......maybe ��

It wasnt a gamble........Mackey always affected the games as an impact sub.....Madden and Galligan werent performing.........the gamble would have been starting Caoimhin Mackey and Madden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

midfield is never going to dominate when your goalies kicking is so unpredictable. For a lad who is in there for his kicking his technique is particularly poor. Several times while kicking off a Tee there was a cloud of dust, scuffed kicks which are landing well short of their intended target

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Giggernaut wrote: »
    One thing I noticed is how dismissive the media are of Cavan. Meath were truly awful but in some sections were being praised that they'll come back stronger etc. Armagh the same, great team. Getting better, will only get stronger etc.
    With Cavan it was fairly negative or the pundits display little knowledge of the team or players. You can see them glancing at notes to recall a players name.
    No doubt Meath and Armagh have to ability to do what the media are saying. I'm just perplexed at the lack of enthusiasm for Cavan.

I don't know which media you speak of, but I think Cavan will come back, while Meath may not. Cavan had the highest losing score ever in an Ulster final and they know they weren't at their best at the start of the game. I'd expect Cavan to reach the super 8s on balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I think drawing Tyrone would be very tricky for Cavan, but I'd back them against any of the other teams, including Mayo. They've come a long way this year, and have an excellent manager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

On Sunday Cavan had an awful, nervy, error ridden first half but battled in the second.

Am I looking at this with blinkers on?

I agree re the media. I noticed after the Armagh drawn game that you’d think they were the team who had just played in Division 1. All this talk of the likes of Rian O’Neill and Jamie Clarke but very little about Killian Clarke or McLoughlin that kept them quiet that day.

One suggested reason I have seen for it is the amount of pundits from places like Armagh (McDonnell, McConville, O’Rourke for example) leading to a bias of punditry from media.

The news seems to be positive about the county team trying to bounce back for the Super 8s. Would be fantastic to get the extra games. I firmly believe one of the ways to improve is by playing better teams and players regularly.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I agree re the media. I noticed after the Armagh drawn game that you’d think they were the team who had just played in Division 1. All this talk of the likes of Rian O’Neill and Jamie Clarke but very little about Killian Clarke or McLoughlin that kept them quiet that day.

One suggested reason I have seen for it is the amount of pundits from places like Armagh (McDonnell, McConville, O’Rourke for example) leading to a bias of punditry from media.

The news seems to be positive about the county team trying to bounce back for the Super 8s. Would be fantastic to get the extra games. I firmly believe one of the ways to improve is by playing better teams and players regularly.

We need a big scalp.

Mates in work I asked about the game said we went too defensive early doors and shouldn't have tried to contain Donegal.
    General consensus: Start Mackie, keep McVeety out the field, forwards needs to shoot for goal and take a score when present (duh!), Galligan needs to take quicker kick outs (less placed kick outs) and disguise his kick better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Id say kickouts cost us more than being defensive. We conceded 4 scores from our own kickouts, and they scored a couple more straight from their own, in the first half.

First half, we also missed 3 or 4 chances in that first half that we should have put over......Gerry Smith *2 and Holla, not to mention Rehills missed goal chance, being the stand out ones.

I dont buy the argument of being too defensive, when we conceded 13 points in the first half, and 1-11 in the second.

I dont think we were good enough to beat Donegal, but a lot of the mistakes we made are fixable

Id say kickouts cost us more than being defensive. We conceded 4 scores from our own kickouts, and they scored a couple more straight from their own, in the first half.

First half, we also missed 3 or 4 chances in that first half that we should have put over......Gerry Smith *2 and Holla, not to mention Rehills missed goal chance, being the stand out ones.

I dont buy the argument of being too defensive, when we conceded 13 points in the first half, and 1-11 in the second.

I dont think we were good enough to beat Donegal, but a lot of the mistakes we made are fixable

The tactical approach was defensive with the reality being Donegal walked through us. Physically they bullied us.

Cavan brought on three attackers and in the second half we started scoring.

I agree mistakes were made and we will get better. I do feel for momentum under the new regime we need Super 8's football this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

I thought tactics on both sides sunday were strikingly similar. Donegal were dropping everyone back at several times, especially during the first half. Both teams were running the flank and then cutting in to the D once over the 45. Donegal were far sharper in terms of execution, we made simple handling and basic passing mistakes which led to easy turnovers and very often than not they were clinical to exploit the subsequent lack of defensive shape. Coupled with a poor goalkeeping display meant they were out the gate in the first 20 mins.

Second half they largely took their foot of the pedal, as a game it was never a contest. Our score flatters to deceive. I feel we need a generous draw in order to get to the super8

willabur wrote: »
    I thought tactics on both sides sunday were strikingly similar. Donegal were dropping everyone back at several times, especially during the first half. Both teams were running the flank and then cutting in to the D once over the 45. Donegal were far sharper in terms of execution, we made simple handling and basic passing mistakes which led to easy turnovers and very often than not they were clinical to exploit the subsequent lack of defensive shape. Coupled with a poor goalkeeping display meant they were out the gate in the first 20 mins.

Second half they largely took their foot of the pedal, as a game it was never a contest. Our score flatters to deceive. I feel we need a generous draw in order to get to the super8

Exactly as I saw it.
    Poor kick outs and no Cavan player in midfield caught a ball all day.
    Donegal could have easily won by 10/12 points. Took their foot off the pedal and took points when clean through on several occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Well folks who do we want tomorrow morning ? I'd take laois before the rest but i only fear tyrone

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Well folks who do we want tomorrow morning ? I'd take laois before the rest but i only fear tyrone

In order of preference:
    1.Clare
    2.Laois
    3.Mayo
    4.Tyrone

Probably means we get Tyrone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Olpiy

In order of preference:
    1.Clare
    2.Laois
    3.Mayo
    4.Tyrone

Probably means we get Tyrone :eek:

I'd agree with this, sure don't we all know it'll be Tyrone😂😂

Yeah bad feeling it will be Tyrone please anyone but them :( Hopefully Laois !

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

We want mayo or Tyrone. we,ve no business making the super 8,s if we can't beat either of these teams in a qualifier game. there like are only waiting there should we get a so called easier draw against laois or clare.

with the exception of roscommon this year, it's not like we have being beating any of the other provincial winners in recent history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭celt262

Tyrone .. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

That was predictable, my Dad is from Cavan and said yesterday there was no point in listening to the draw as they were getting Tyrone. :pac:

• Advertisement

**** it we all knew it was coming. We had a good run. 4 best teams drew each other aswell ffs. Hopefully its a double header with u20s in Clones

Advertisement