Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭celt262

**** it we all knew it was coming. We had a good run. 4 best teams drew each other aswell ffs. Hopefully its a double header with u20s in Clones

It likely will but wouldn't it be horrible to get two bad beatings from them on the same day :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

celt262 wrote: »
    It likely will but wouldn't it be horrible to get two bad beatings from them on the same day :mad:
    We will probably will, and their fans are sickening. Would love to dump them out but we won't. Will be like last year when they knocked us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

We will probably will, and their fans are sickening. Would love to dump them out but we won't. Will be like last year when they knocked us out.

What a massive surprise that draw is. As McStay said “we love local derbies”. FFS.

Tyrone fans easily the most sickening in the country.

As long as it’s not Brewster park. (I know it will be)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

What a massive surprise that draw is. As McStay said “we love local derbies”. FFS.

In the famous words of Kevin Keegan "Id Love it if we beat them..Love it!"

I was thinking to myself that it might be Enniskillen aswel but they might expect a larger crowd so clones perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Surely be played in Clones?

Anyway, good luck to ye.

• Advertisement

Hopefully we get one last sunny day out in Clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Haven’t a hope to win against Tyrone. Same old same old.

At least league will finish on time and club championship will run off without delays now.

I wonder how the players feel. I'd say they are sick at that draw. We could have done well in the super 8s. We just never get that bit of luck needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

benjy1000 wrote: »
    Haven’t a hope to win against Tyrone. Same old same old.

At least league will finish on time and club championship will run off without delays now.

Why so negative?? Cavan have definitely got a chance. Believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I wonder how the players feel. I'd say they are sick at that draw. We could have done well in the super 8s. We just never get that bit of luck needed.

Cavan have every chance of beating Tyrone. Only if they ditch the inferiority complex.

• Advertisement

snowgal wrote: »
    Why so negative?? Cavan have definitely got a chance. Believe!
    Not a hope, Tyrone always beat Cavan. They will brush us aside, our midfield and full forward line aren't good enough to win.

Cavan have every chance of beating Tyrone. Only if they ditch the inferiority complex.
    Cavan haven't beaten Tyrone in the championship in 34 years. It's nearly 20 years in all competitions and that was in the Mckenna Cup.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Not a hope, Tyrone always beat Cavan. They will brush us aside, our midfield and full forward line aren't good enough to win.

Thats the spirit!! :o

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Thats the spirit!! :o
    Ah I'd be over the moon if we could do it but I just can't see it. The team and management have done well this year regardless so credit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

It will be tough for Cavan no doubt but I think Tyrone's win over Kildare is being bigged up a bit more than it should be. It was a good performance but Kildare aren't great at all this year.

I think Cavan have the players to match Tyrone and give them a good game but the worry is Tyrone just have a bit more experience and steel about them for the big occasion. I expect a close game with Tyrone just to edge it but it wouldn't be a massive shock if Cavan won.

Johner wrote: »
    It will be tough for Cavan no doubt but I think Tyrone's win over Kildare is being bigged up a bit more than it should be. It was a good performance but Kildare aren't great at all this year.

I think Cavan have the players to match Tyrone and give them a good game but the worry is Tyrone just have a bit more experience and steel about them for the big occasion. I expect a close game with Tyrone just to edge it but it wouldn't be a massive shock if Cavan won.

I would be fearing similar to the Ulster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

celt262 wrote: »
    I would be fearing similar to the Ulster Final.

It could very well go like that but hopefully Cavan will have learned a bit from that game.

Johner wrote: »
    It could very well go like that but hopefully Cavan will have learned a bit from that game.

Its Tyrone though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

I'm all for let's go out and prove everyone wrong but in reality Tyrone will be relishing playing Cavan.

No tactical tweaking needed. Hit Cavans main players hard, slow the game down and keep us at arms length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Its the draw that Cavan didn't want also the draw we needed

This old sh1te of sitting back and letting average tyrone teams beat us has to stop at some point

We are every bit as good as tyrone and with a bit of belief we will give it a right good crack

Our lads should come out all guns blazing and try and prove the ulster final was just a bad day at the office for them , lots under performed and surely will have a point to prove

If this team are to progress then this weekend is a big big step towards that

Shake off the physcological shackles and give it one last shot because if we get to super 8s an all ireland semi final place is there for the taking

• Advertisement

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Its the draw that Cavan didn't want also the draw we needed

This old sh1te of sitting back and letting average tyrone teams beat us has to stop at some point

We are every bit as good as tyrone and with a bit of belief we will give it a right good crack

Our lads should come out all guns blazing and try and prove the ulster final was just a bad day at the office for them , lots under performed and surely will have a point to prove

If this team are to progress then this weekend is a big big step towards that

Shake off the physcological shackles and give it one last shot because if we get to super 8s an all ireland semi final place is there for the taking

They were all-Ireland finalist's last year.

We are not every good as bit as Tyrone. I'm sure Mickey Graham will be banging that into the squad this week but i wonder do you even believe it yourself?

We don't have players to the standard of Burns, Harte, McCurry, C McShane and Sludden.

Tyrone have reverted to type. Soaking up pressure by furious compacted defending and attacking at speed where Burns excels.

I'm sick of see Tyrone funneling teams into their defensive meat grinder and overturning ball. McShane is a monster up top for them.

I also hope the game is played away from Clones and Croker. We need all the edge we can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Cavan haven't beaten Tyrone in the championship in 34 years. It's nearly 20 years in all competitions and that was in the Mckenna Cup.....:(

2 years if you are including McKenna Cup:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/gaelic-games/38547520

I don’t get all these rumblings re we need to play Mayo or Tyrone to deserve to reach the Super 8s. I would have loved to play Clare or Laois.

Meath, for example, are reaching the Super 8s on the back of playing Carlow, Offaly, Laois and Clare!

The lads have done enough this year and are good enough to have deserved their place already.

We’ll give Tyrone a rattle but, unfortunately, I think this game has come a year too early. The team are still developing under Graham and Tyrone have players with huge experience.

That said, Meath gave them a scare in Navan last year so if we go for it there’s no reason we can’t do the same.

But please drop the talk of starting Mackey....

celt262 wrote:
    They were all-Ireland finalist's last year.

celt262 wrote:
    We are not every good as bit as Tyrone. I'm sure Mickey Graham will be banging that into the squad this week but i wonder do you even believe it yourself?

Maybe so but they are no world beaters they will push on against teams if they get a lead but will struggle coming from behind .
    I'd like to see us with a big man on the edge of the square from the throw in and try and trouble morgan early on as in recent times we've seen her doesn't recover well
    Look lads we have to beat them sometime and as 4-1 outsiders there is no better time

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Maybe so but they are no world beaters they will push on against teams if they get a lead but will struggle coming from behind .
    I'd like to see us with a big man on the edge of the square from the throw in and try and trouble morgan early on as in recent times we've seen her doesn't recover well
    Look lads we have to beat them sometime and as 4-1 outsiders there is no better time

If the same mistakes repeat themselves like no kick out strategy and taking too much out of the ball I'll end up more disappointed than if Mickey tried from the start to get at them.

The most disappointing thing about the Ulster final was having no hope after 25mins of pulling it back because Donegal had the measure of us. Tyrone will no doubt go at Cavan early and we need to weather that.

At the pace we attack we will find space behind their full back line and when we do we'll need goals.

Confirmed double header in clones
    Senior at 5pm
    Being shown on sky sports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Monaghan game aside, we’ve started the other 3 games very cagily. We got away with it in both Armagh games. Donegal were out of sight by the time we got it together.

Tyrone will look to hit the front early, defend in numbers and hit us on the break (like they have done so often). We have to start at absolutely full tilt, take the game to them, and not let them dictate the pattern of the game if we are to have any hope.

As noted above, they are no where near as impressive as years gone by, but they know how to win games. They will be looking to have it wrapped up by halftime but I think we have a chance if we press their kick outs, play forwards and go back to the Monaghan game and play the width of the field.

C’mon Cavan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

It's time these group of lads step up. Our attacking play needs to improve. A few times Vs Monaghan a simple pass across the square was available but we pointed. We showed against Donegal we can score goals when needed.

We are still one or two players away from really challenging for Ulster's though. Hopefully the club championship will unearth a few.

We can beat Tyrone. We have the lads to kick it over from outside the defensive line, we need to break fast and score goals.

Regardless of the result we have taken big steps forward this year. We are attacking in numbers the ****e of the last decade is gone thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

been in a state of absolute depression since the draw came out, anyone but them!! Had a friend from tyrone over the other day and told him it constitutes abuse what they do to us EVERY FCKN YEAR

Advertisement