Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

willabur wrote: »
    been in a state of absolute depression since the draw came out, anyone but them!! Had a friend from tyrone over the other day and told him it constitutes abuse what they do to us EVERY FCKN YEAR

Get ready for the same again. Can’t see anything change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Heard Pearson is out he has a broken hand supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Heard Pearson is out he has a broken hand supposedly.

True there was a row at training with fortune & slaps thrown

benjy1000 wrote: »
    True there was a row at training with fortune & slaps thrown
    Caoimhin carrying an injury possibly also?

Caoimhin carrying an injury possibly also?

Yes but it not going to keep him out although seemingly he didn’t go too well in AvB at weekend so mightn’t feature in any event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

I have a feeling in my gut. Were either going to shock the country and beat Tyrone, or lose by 15 points. There will be no in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I have a feeling in my gut. Were either going to shock the country and beat Tyrone, or lose by 15 points. There will be no in between.

I dont think we win, but I dont think we get hockeyed either. Tyrone are masters at the qualifiers, and with games every week, if they get a lead I suspect they will protect it rather than give us a hiding. We will put up more of a fight than Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

I dont think we win, but I dont think we get hockeyed either. Tyrone are masters at the qualifiers, and with games every week, if they get a lead I suspect they will protect it rather than give us a hiding. We will put up more of a fight than Kildare

I would have preferred taking Tyrone out of Clones for the reason that if Cavan go down a couple early on it'll be a case of deja vu re Ulster final.

It'll be soul destroyer if Tyrone just control the game and we as fans have no real hope. The Ulster final was tough going.

Alternatively, I hope we go for them and the lads express themselves and say "**** Tyrone". Straight from the throw in. Rack up some scores, take some hits, throw some shoulders, take goal chances, lucky card or two our way, shackle Harte & Burns and ya never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

Hopefully the U20s beat Tyrone beforehand. Darragh Canavan is a gem of player for them. Same skillset as his father..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Any word on who the ref is for Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Olpiy

It's Barry Cassidy.

Is there any word on Niall Murray, we really need him to be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LiamM1

I heard he is OK for Saturday

Any word on Caoimhin O Reilly? Going around he has a broken foot. is this true?

Is Oisin Pierson hand definitely broken?

Madden has concussion

LiamM1 wrote: »
    I heard he is OK for Saturday

Any word on Caoimhin O Reilly? Going around he has a broken foot. is this true?

Is Oisin Pierson hand definitely broken?

Madden has concussion

Jesus lads, what's been happening in training. Sounds the lads have taking lumps out of each other.

Murray would be a proper loss. Madden to a lesser extent and while Caoimhin has promise he wouldn't be a massive loss. Obviously you'd prefer to have them fit.

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Jesus lads, what's been happening in training. Sounds the lads have taking lumps out of each other.

Murray would be a proper loss. Madden to a lesser extent and while Caoimhin has promise he wouldn't be a massive loss. Obviously you'd prefer to have them fit.

Preparing for the big battle with Tyrone. Hopefully they’ll be up for it. Put a few of them on their arses early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

There’s always hope but I can’t see us beating Tyrone tomorrow. They’re a seasoned outfit and way ahead of us in terms of development and experience. People are clutching at straws with remarks that Clones could be a benefit for Cavan because we’ve played there a few times this year - we’re playing a Tyrone team that have won Ulster Finals there!

I’d take a valiant loss where the lads play their hearts out and come up short because it wouldn’t erode the good Championship year we’ve had to date.

People in Cavan are too quick to be critical. Starting Gerry Smith and Ciaran Brady in the Ulster Final and the two of them lacking both match practice and fitness shows that Graham obviously feels we’re still a bit short even with a 40 man panel.

It’s been a good Championship year and there’s a lot to build on going forward, whatever the result tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Cavan_King wrote: »
    There’s always hope but I can’t see us beating Tyrone tomorrow. They’re a seasoned outfit and way ahead of us in terms of development and experience.

They've got better footballers which is pretty much the end of it.

Talk of experience and the rest is only relevant where the players across both teams have similar ability. Tyrone's footballers are far superior to Cavan's.

I would like to be wrong of course but can't see anything other than Cavan getting a hammering, which would be a pity because as you mentioned it would undo a lot of the positivity that they have garnered through the year.

They've just got better footballers.
    Agree there, I reckon we're getting the best out of the players we have. We just don't have the players to beat Tyrone, Kerry, Donegal and Dublin. That isn't going to change anytime soon unless the club standard improves or we get transfers.

Our midfield and full forward line is lacking big time. The teams mentioned above all physically outsize us too. We don't have enough players in their mid 20s and above who have filled out. Too many younger lads with no size to them.

We've had good enough players to beat at underage
    they are a good side yes! a brilliant side no !
    Will they beat us probably & if they do a lot will be down to the defeatous attitude we carry into games against tyrone
    I would just love to see the lads throw caution the the wind and go for it with a bit of belief & see what happens cos this is one monkey we really need to get off our backs

On the way up lads. Any team news? Rumours

You’d be better staying at home son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

benjy1000 wrote: »
    You’d be better staying at home son.

Ah here, nothing like a bit of positive thinking pre-game!

We're not beaten yet and if I can lend my voice to the roar to help the lads on the field, well that's what I'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A Meath man told me during the week that Cavan will beat Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Mackey is starting.

Mackey is starting.

Have we not listed him as starting for the last few games? I would prefer we keep him for the last 30

Have we not listed him as starting for the last few games? I would prefer we keep him for the last 30

I am not sure of the last 30 mins but i would bring him in the minute the game starts to slip away from us not when the damage is done

cavan4sam wrote: »
    I am not sure of the last 30 mins but i would bring him in the minute the game starts to slip away from us not when the damage is done

Agree, first game of the Championship I'd have said use as an impact sub but we need to start fast and score in this game. If they get momentum we're in trouble.
    After 25mins of the Ulster final Donegal were cruising with a five point cushion

Agree, first game of the Championship I'd have said use as an impact sub but we need to start fast and score in this game. If they get momentum we're in trouble.
    After 25mins of the Ulster final Donegal were cruising with a five point cushion

I know I was there, but not sure even Mackey would have saved us that day

On the road and missing the u20 match, but I have some hope for today. One hope i have is that Tyrone are already talking about a handy route to the final as they would avoid Dublin! Mickey Harte won’t be complacent but Tyrone have zero respect for us (based on the last 32 years) so the players may not be as “Up” for this as they should. We almost caught them out last year and we were no great shakes in Brewster for long parts of that game. We have definitely improved from then.

Tyrone remind me of the end of Fergie’s United. Not the greatest team but know how to win, and other teams beaten by their reputation as anything else. I don’t think they’re all that good and if we come out of the traps, we could rattle them. Faulkner should manage McShane, but who picks up Harte? He always does damage to us.

We need to believe in ourselves, stop acting like they are the team they were 10 years ago and go into them from the throw in, take it to them and not do our usual or letting them into a 3 or 4 point lead, getting bottlenecked and turned over and torn apart on the counter. Go at them lads FFS!!!

• Advertisement

Foolish starting Mackey.

Advertisement