Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

All over already.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

All over already.

Over after 15 mins. Cavan didn’t turn up yet again. Feeble effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Ah here, nothing like a bit of positive thinking pre-game!

Maybe your right , the ref lost it for us, we should have won. We were the better team throughout.

Over after 15 mins. Cavan didn’t turn up yet again. Feeble effort.

Atrocious, same old story . Absolute dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

The worst for years .... Clueless

• Advertisement

cavan4sam wrote: »
    The worst for years .... Clueless

That big useless high kick to nobody by Murray summed it all up.

That big useless high kick to nobody by Murray summed it all up.

Where do we go from here??
    Mickey ain’t the messiah that’s for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Cavan_King wrote: »
    People in Cavan are too quick to be critical.

It’s been a good Championship year and there’s a lot to build on going forward, whatever the result tomorrow.

Already the negative comments are flying in. Hugely disappointing but we’ve had a better year than most in recent memory.

Not just the players who got it wrong today. Mickey Graham did too.

Already the negative comments are flying in. Hugely disappointing but we’ve had a better year than most in recent memory.

Ah here.
    You hardly expected positive comments after that showing today did you?

It was the Ref who lost it for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A Donegal man here. That was very disappointing today, but shouldn't take away from what has been a decent year for Cavan. An equivalent I can think of is the 2017 Ulster semi final when Tyrone absolutely took us apart, really showing up the difference in conditioning between the two teams. And we have two Ulster titles since. Mickey Graham hasn't become a bad manager overnight, I'm looking forward to seeing how he brings Cavan on over the next couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Hard to take many positives out of it but we'll go again .... We always do and we always will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Hard to take many positives out of it but we'll go again .... We always do and we always will

I’m trying to think of a game that deflated me as much. Last years shellacking by Donegal didn’t hurt as much. Maybe the league final in 2001? I know losing to the Rossies in 2014 was bad but I think this was worse (at least we were dry today!)

I think we are beaten by Tyrone before the ball is thrown in. Clearly they are a better team but we were as bad as I can remember today.

What was a positive season has ended on demoralising trimming with zero to take from it. I’m usually a glass half full Cavan supporter used to the dark days (we all are) but could you say one player did themselves justice today?

Not one player backed themselves at any stage. Tyrone strutted around that pitch from the get go. To say men Vs boys would be an understatement. It wasn’t a match as one team simply did not show up.

Moynagh tried. Gerry Smith a bit. But honestly I’m clutching at straws, it was a total shambles. And no better team thank tyrone to capitalise on it and add more psychological scar tissue.

It’s a rake of pints or therapy to try and get over that. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

To put things in perspective we have beaten Monaghan, Roscommon and Armagh this year. We had a poor league campaign. We played well in the first half in a few games but the **** the bed against Galway and Kerry when it mattered.

The Championship: It was absolutely fantastic to beat Monaghan to quieten then down for one thing. Monaghan are an aging side with no real youth commingled through. against Armagh we where lucky to pull it back the first day and yes we played well the second day but Armagh are a division two side. Who only finished 2 points away from the drop zone.

Style of play: Massive improvement here but at times we look so vunerable at the back but cannot seem to turn defense into attack at pace at all.

Players: To say we have a panel of 40 if that's the best 15 players in the county we are in real trouble. MC Vitiey, Moynagh, Clarke, MC Keiran, Mackey, O Rielly are good players we have the spine of a decent team there but the best players in the county won't commit to play for Cavan and the question has to be asked ? What can the county board do to get these players to commit.

Back in the past Micheal O Murthurtaigh took sessions with Kerry players based in Dublin to keep them in the loop. Surely a deal could be made with a club halfway between Cavan and Dublin to accommodate these lads.

We will win nothing with this group of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

A Donegal man here. That was very disappointing today, but shouldn't take away from what has been a decent year for Cavan. An equivalent I can think of is the 2017 Ulster semi final when Tyrone absolutely took us apart, really showing up the difference in conditioning between the two teams. And we have two Ulster titles since. Mickey Graham hasn't become a bad manager overnight, I'm looking forward to seeing how he brings Cavan on over the next couple of years

Two Ulster titles. Under new management!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Very very disappointing and a fairly poor attendance to boot. A lot of supporters on both sides didn't show as they thought it a done deal and sadly they were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

What was a positive season €

Relagulated from division one after putting in good first half performances, beating an old Monaghan Team and a team lucky to stay in division 2......

I don't mean to sound like buzz kill at all but in reality it was a disastrous season glossed by the fact we got to an Ulster final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

In my opinion Mickey is a very good manager but the players are just not up to Tyrone, Donegal, Dublin standard. Still no excuse for todays performance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

Where was the bit of fire to make up for the poor Ulster final.. Awful performance. 1 pt from play in first half.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Relagulated from division one after putting in good first half performances, beating an old Monaghan Team and a team lucky to stay in division 2......

I don't mean to sound like buzz kill at all but in reality it was a disastrous season glossed by the fact we got to an Ulster final.

There was more of a buzz around the team getting to an Ulster final which could have translated into a platform for the future. The team was coming from a low ebb last yeah and seemed to be on the up.

Two trimmings in a row has firmly put paid to any positivity....

• Advertisement

piplip87 wrote: »
    To put things in perspective we have beaten Monaghan, Roscommon and Armagh this year. We had a poor league campaign. We played well in the first half in a few games but the **** the bed against Galway and Kerry when it mattered.

The Championship: It was absolutely fantastic to beat Monaghan to quieten then down for one thing. Monaghan are an aging side with no real youth commingled through. against Armagh we where lucky to pull it back the first day and yes we played well the second day but Armagh are a division two side. Who only finished 2 points away from the drop zone.

Style of play: Massive improvement here but at times we look so vunerable at the back but cannot seem to turn defense into attack at pace at all.

Players: To say we have a panel of 40 if that's the best 15 players in the county we are in real trouble. MC Vitiey, Moynagh, Clarke, MC Keiran, Mackey, O Rielly are good players we have the spine of a decent team there but the best players in the county won't commit to play for Cavan and the question has to be asked ? What can the county board do to get these players to commit.

Back in the past Micheal O Murthurtaigh took sessions with Kerry players based in Dublin to keep them in the loop. Surely a deal could be made with a club halfway between Cavan and Dublin to accommodate these lads.

We will win nothing with this group of players.

Which players are you referring too.? Barry Reilly yes is a talanted player, but is a farmer. Joe Dillon and Tinnelly would be as good as what's there.
    Adam Connell would be County standard.

Others like Givney are in London. He won't play County football anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

In my opinion Mickey is a very good manager but the players are just not up to Tyrone, Donegal, Dublin standard. Still no excuse for todays performance though.

This is pretty much it.

Would expect Armagh for example to have a far bigger sway in Ulster in the next few years than Cavan. Cavan have a better manager Armagh better players.

This is pretty much it.

Would expect Armagh for example to have a far bigger sway in Ulster in the next few years than Cavan. Cavan have a better manager Armagh better players.

Haven’t seen much from Graham in the last two thumping to suggest he’s anything special tbh. No spark there again yesterday and no pride in the jersey again. Mickey didn’t seem to have them up for a fight at all.
    Very poor from all concerned, team and manager.

Haven’t seen much from Graham in the last two thumping to suggest he’s anything special tbh. No spark there again yesterday and no pride in the jersey again. Mickey didn’t seem to have them up for a fight at all.
    Very poor from all concerned, team and manager.

Cavan played with the same intensity as there is in a challenge game, something graham said would never happen under his watch .
    He referred to the donegal game last year.

Well yesterday was worse than that, I’ve seen enough now, graham should get the boot and county board need to go all out for o’rourke because he will be snapped up every soon.

This is pretty much it.

Up till they beat Down this year, Armagh had as much success as we did and most Armagh fans were looking for McGeeny to get the boot. So now he’s a world beater? Come on.

That was a dreadful display. Awful. But let’s not lose the run of ourselves completely.

Yes Donegal and Tyrone are miles ahead of us. We knew that already. We proved we are better than Armagh.

Is Mickey Graham the messiah? Probably not, but he’s had what, 8 months as manager? The last thing we need to do is go back to the drawing board (again).

He hasn’t become a bad manager overnight. Give him 3 years and judge him on that. There were more than enough signs over the league and the championship that we were going in the right direction.

benjy1000 wrote: »
    Cavan played with the same intensity as there is in a challenge game, something graham said would never happen under his watch .
    He referred to the donegal game last year.

Well yesterday was worse than that, I’ve seen enough now, graham should get the boot and county board need to go all out for o’rourke because he will be snapped up every soon.

Sit down in a dark room, take a few deep breaths and relax.

Booting out a new manager on the back of one performance makes absolutely zero sense. Yesterday was a shambles and we simply didn’t show up. Will be interested in seeing what his reaction is Will be. I remember him saying when he took over that he felt that in terms of S&C Cavan were 12-18 months off where they should be. I would back him to get us into a stronger position next year.

They have a new S/C Coach Andre Quinn maybe his work will show in.next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Think we all need a reality check here.
    I hoped for a shock and what we got was a Tyrone side hitting their stride.
    We were desparately unlucky with the qualifier draw and beaten in our last two games by the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the country. You only have to look at how Cork reached the Super8s or Meath if they win. Walks in the park in comparison.
    Tyrone would have beaten all the remaining teams.
    What I saw yesterday was a physical mismatch. They too easily brushed off the cavan defenders to score.
    Give mickey his three years, see what he does. A tough Div 2 run should help.
    The players were embaressed in front of a live tv audience. Their heads dropped and I didnt see any leaders stand up.
    Tyrone ****housery was at another level but thats expected. McVeety very lucky to stay on the field.

Hopefully a few 6'4 18stone atheltic superstars can be unearthed in time for next years first round.
    Keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Up till they beat Down this year, Armagh had as much success as we did and most Armagh fans were looking for McGeeny to get the boot. So now he’s a world beater? Come on.

That was a dreadful display. Awful. But let’s not lose the run of ourselves completely.

Yes Donegal and Tyrone are miles ahead of us. We knew that already. We proved we are better than Armagh.

Is Mickey Graham the messiah? Probably not, but he’s had what, 8 months as manager? The last thing we need to do is go back to the drawing board (again).

He hasn’t become a bad manager overnight. Give him 3 years and judge him on that. There were more than enough signs over the league and the championship that we were going in the right direction.

I think Armagh have better players than Cavan. Don’t think a lot of McGeeney, though.

• Advertisement

They have better forwards and midfield. They didn't have one of their better young players this year, Oisin O Neill older brother of Rian. Starred on St Mary's sigerson team 2 years ago.
    Armagh haven't a great defence, and foul a lot. That's their downfall.

Advertisement