Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Yesterday was beyond awful,but as some have said,Tyrone and Donegal are streets ahead of us in terms of Conditioning, We couldn't lay a hand on either team for the majority of both matches,They were just too quick and athletic.

We will get there though as long as we keep Andre Quinn whom has been an outstanding acquisition. Conor Moynagh and Killian Clarke for me are two players whose physical conditioning and body composition have clearly improved ten fold this year already.

Midfield for me is a key worry,We have been well beaten in every game this year which i have been to.
    Conor Brady is a very good footballer and a great find,but even at 6'1, he was giving 3/4 inches against his Midfield opponent yesterday and against Donegal.

I just hope we can keep the base of this team intact for next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

rrs wrote: »
    They have a new S/C Coach Andre Quinn maybe his work will show in.next few years.
    We've heard the same for many years, but lads in their late teens and early 20s will always be outsized by men in their late 20s and 30s. By the time our lads reach that age they usually have quit playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

We've heard the same for many years, but lads in their late teens and early 20s will always be outsized by men in their late 20s and 30s. By the time our lads reach that age they usually have quit playing.

Cavan are just ****e.

We had big lads on the panel like Argue, Niall McKiernan and Tierney but they got no game time. I'd be surprised if we still had any of them next year. They weren't making the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

We had big lads on the panel like Argue, Niall McKiernan and Tierney but they got no game time. I'd be surprised if we still had any of them next year. They weren't making the bench.

I'm a big Gearoid fan, and I think he's a terrific footballer, but i don't think he's a top Inter County Midfielder. Installing a duo of 6'3 plus lads in Midfield for next year should be a top priority for the management.

• Advertisement

Hammar wrote: »
    I'm a big Gearoid fan, and I think he's a terrific footballer, but i don't think he's a top Inter County Midfielder. Installing a duo of 6'3 plus lads in Midfield for next year should be a top priority for the management.
    Is there much there these days at club level that could step up? Nobody comes to mind at midfield for me. Anyone that does already played county and probably wouldn't go back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

Who else is there for midfield . James Smith a bit raw but potential to play midfield.. Buchanan not sure what's the story with him

But yes G McKiernan is 30 next year.. The time will have passed soon on the crop from 2011 Ulster u21 team.

We have 40 clubs that means 80 lads starting midfield with their first team. Probably another 20-40 injured, away or that could do a job midfield. Is there anything there to step up and would they be given a chance.

We have 40 clubs that means 80 lads starting midfield with their first team. Probably another 20-40 injured, away or that could do a job midfield. Is there anything there to step up and would they be given a chance.

No Not a sausage.
    It’s Slim pickings.
    I don’t rate graham but he hasn’t much to work with.

How many of the 80 are County standard or would have made a difference against Tyrone.?

An Alternative 15

1. J farrelly

2. D Tighe

3 Damien Barkey

4. Stephen Cooney

5. Adam O Connell

6. Roman Flanagan

7. Aaron O Hara

8. Mattie Mckenna

9. Liam Buchannan

10. Phil Tinnelly

11. Barry Reilly

12. Ends Hessin

13..Conor Smith

14. Shane Tierney

15. Joe Dillon

Some are injured and were there before, but maybe a best of what's out there

• Advertisement

How many of the 80 are County standard or would have made a difference against Tyrone.?

An Alternative 15

1. J farrelly

2. D Tighe

3 Damien Barkey

4. Stephen Cooney

5. Adam O Connell

6. Roman Flanagan

7. Aaron O Hara

8. Mattie Mckenna

9. Liam Buchannan

10. Phil Tinnelly

11. Barry Reilly

12. Ends Hessin

13..Conor Smith

14. Shane Tierney

15. Joe Dillon

Couple of decent players .
    Enda Flanagan scoring for fun for ballyduff in the league didn’t even make the bench for Cavan. Graham needs to be asked why..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

benjy1000 wrote: »
    It was the Ref who lost it for us.

There was 16 points between the 2 sides at the end.
    That had nothing to do with the ref.

No Not a sausage.
    It’s Slim pickings.
    I don’t rate graham but he hasn’t much to work with.
    Yeah there is not much there to pick from. We have lost too many players in the last 5 years who moved away or quit playing altogether.

A lot of lads don't work in Cavan, it's serious commitment now , a very tough ask if you aren't living locally and working elsewhere. Very hard to keep a team together if you aren't winning anything.

mfceiling wrote: »
    There was 16 points between the 2 sides at the end.
    That had nothing to do with the ref.
    Hes joking

An Alternative 15

1. J farrelly

2. D Tighe

3 Damien Barkey

4. Stephen Cooney

5. Adam O Connell

6. Roman Flanagan

7. Aaron O Hara

8. Mattie Mckenna

9. Liam Buchannan

10. Phil Tinnelly

11. Barry Reilly

12. Ends Hessin

13..Conor Smith

14. Shane Tierney

15. Joe Dillon

Hessin, Barry Reilly and Joe Dillon are very good forwards. I don't know their situation at the moment if they're playing club. We end up playing defenders in the forwards then wonder where the scores are coming from

Yeah there is not much there to pick from. We have lost too many players in the last 5 years who moved away or quit playing altogether.

A lot of lads don't work in Cavan, it's serious commitment now , a very tough ask if you aren't living locally and working elsewhere. Very hard to keep a team together if you aren't winning anything.

True , even for next year you never know some of them might not commit , a lot of them live and work in Dublin.

It’s just so frustrating as a supporter I feel I’m saying the same thing every year for the past 20 years , continuously stuck on a roundabout.

At this moment in time staying up in division 2 will do me.

True , even for next year you never know some of them might not commit , a lot of them live and work in Dublin.

It’s just so frustrating as a supporter I feel I’m saying the same thing every year for the past 20 years , continuously stuck on a roundabout.

At this moment in time staying up in division 2 will do me.
    I'd say a few of them mighn't, happens every year now we always lose a few and usually older lads in their prime. From chatting to fellas it's hard to blame them especially if you aren't getting games and have to travel from Dublin. Theres a few that head abroad too.

But yeah very frustrating as a supporter. Division 2 will not be easy Kildare, Armagh, Roscommon, Fermanagh, Clare. We don't really know what the team will look like either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

An Alternative 15

1. J farrelly

2. D Tighe

3 Damien Barkey

4. Stephen Cooney

5. Adam O Connell

6. Roman Flanagan

7. Aaron O Hara

8. Mattie Mckenna

9. Liam Buchannan

10. Phil Tinnelly

11. Barry Reilly

12. Ends Hessin

13..Conor Smith

14. Shane Tierney

15. Joe Dillon

Joe Dillon, Conor Smith & Mattie McKenna all have long term injuries. They are not available.

Adam O’Connell and Shane Tierney turned down invitations to join the panel. O’Connell I believe was because he plans to travel. Tierney I heard was because he has recently had a child and was badly treated by McGleenan.

Ronan Flanagan is retired from inter county duty.

All of the others listed have featured at some stage for the county and made little difference.

In regard to needing midfielders, I believe David Wright was invited to join the panel during the league but rejected the offer as he felt it was too late.

The other best midfielder I saw in the county championship last year, Thomas Galligan, is on the panel.
    But yeah very frustrating as a supporter. Division 2 will not be easy Kildare, Armagh, Roscommon, Fermanagh, Clare. We don't really know what the team will look like either.

I attended the Meath games against Kildare, Armagh and Fermanagh this year. Was also at their game against Tipp. Going on the standard of football I saw in those Division 2 games, and comparing it to the Division 1 games we were involved in, I’d be very surprised if we weren’t promoted next year.

Meath were promoted this year, for example, and I believe we’d comfortably beat them.

I know they aren't available at present. They will be back for Club championship. Smith and Mckenna asaik.

I'm aware Flanagan retired, but still one of the top Club players.

Tom Hayes is suppose to be playing good stuff in Dublin with Ballyboden. He didn't impress before really but worth another look.

I know they aren't available at present. They will be back for Club championship. Smith and Mckenna asaik.

I'm aware Flanagan retired, but still one of the top Club players.

Tom Hayes is suppose to be playing good stuff in Dublin with Ballyboden. He didn't impress before really but worth another look.

If you know he’s retired, what’s the point of including him on an alternative county 15!?

McKenna has suffered another injury set back. If he gets back playing for Killygarry, it’d be a remarkable achievement for him to be able to get back to intercounty standard and it’s a long way away.

The county have taken over Conor Smith’s rehabilitation. I last heard he should be back around August/September but they aren’t rushing him.

I do believe Graham has selected the best of what’s available and willing to commit.

Hopefully the strength and conditioning coach will help greatly.

• Advertisement

I included him as he would still be good enough to make an impact, from what's out there Obviously I'm not Mickey Graham and won't coax him out of retirement, so don't get so worked up over it..

I included him as he would still be good enough to make an impact, from what's out there Obviously I'm not Mickey Graham and won't coax him out of retirement, so don't get so worked up over it..

I’m not getting worked up. I just think its ridiculous to include him.

Flanagan started out with the senior team in 2005 and has plenty of mileage on the clock. He suffered a health scare and now has a coupe of kids.

He’s 32/33 so I don’t believe there is any hope whatsoever of coaxing him out of retirement, no matter who is in charge - he’s given more than enough already.

That you included him, alongside a number of players who have turned down invitations, turned their back on the county panel or are long term injured, shows that your “”alternative” team is clutching at straws in terms of players to pick.

Look, I just picked a 15 players that are good club footballers and I'm aware some are injured or retired,.. I'm not saying they all should be there or recalled , just a 15 I thought of compared to yesterday's team.

You're just arguing for the sake of it. Of course a lot won't be involved next yes.. rIt's 6.months till Cavan play again... Not much else to chat about till. Club championship start.

Stick up your own 15 so we can squabble at each inclusion

Look, I just picked a 15 players that are good club footballers and I'm aware some are injured or retired,.. I'm not saying they all should be there or recalled , just a 15 I thought of compared to yesterday's team.

You're just arguing for the sake of it. Of course a lot won't be involved next yes.. rIt's 6.months till Cavan play again... Not much else to chat about till. Club championship start.

Stick up your own 15 so we can squabble at each inclusion

I believe that, by and large, the best players who will commit are playing, or on the panel - so why would I throw up an alternative 15? You're the one who is expressing dissatisfaction with the players on the panel yet failing to provide viable alternatives.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it - I'm showing that the 15 you've picked is totally unrealistic. Sure ya might as well pick 15 lads from Dublin because we can't get them in Cavan jerseys either at the minute.

You've left off one of the few players that I would approach to come back to the panel - Seanie Johnston, for an impact sub role. But, again, I don't know if him going onto the panel is in any way realistic.

Give Graham and his coaching team another while with the players. Unfortunately, we had two lost years under Mattie McGleenan which did nothing but harm the panel available e.g. players like Tierney now having no interest in the county team.

I've seen people mention Malachy O'Rourke. I don't think he'd manage Cavan after managing Monaghan and I also don't think we should be changing the manager but I do think he could have a role a la Rochford at Donegal.

Why not get him in as an assistant or consultant for a year? He has tremendous knowledge and he might prefer a smaller role to take some down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Need to try and get Brian O Connell in. Shane Tierney too and hopefully Conor Smith.

Since when did Jason Reilly come part of management?

Need to try and get Brian O Connell in. Shane Tierney too and hopefully Conor Smith.

Since when did Jason Reilly come part of management?

Smith will be in when he recovers from injury which will be August/September. The county setup have taken over his rehabilitation and recovery regime from his current injury.

Who is Brian O'Connell? I though the O'Connell lad that is good for Ramor is Adam?

Shane Tierney won't be going in. He has too much on, and as previously said, he was treated dreadfully by McGleenan. To be honest, he's a great club footballer but I don't think he's county standard. Damien Barkey did a fine job on him for Ramor in the county semi final a few years back for example.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Smith will be in when he recovers from injury which will be August/September. The county setup have taken over his rehabilitation and recovery regime from his current injury.

Who is Brian O'Connell? I though the O'Connell lad that is good for Ramor is Adam?

Shane Tierney won't be going in. He has too much on, and as previously said, he was treated dreadfully by McGleenan.

I didn't know Tierney was in under McGleenan? Yeah it's Brian pronounced Breen O Connell. He in Australia at moment but home soon.

I didn't know Tierney was in under McGleenan? Yeah it's Brian pronounced Breen O Connell. He in Australia at moment but home soon.

And since when Jason part of management?

The well has dried up, several players have moved away and don't want to commit, others have been poorly treated and don't want to come back.

There is also something wrong when Cavan Gaels have to amalgamate at under age levels. I feel like player numbers have dropped significantly at underage and senior level in Cavan. Why is this and where have things gone wrong at club level that lads don't enjoy it or want to play?

• Advertisement

He played a few McKenna Cup games in 2017....

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2017/01/15/cavan-prove-too-strong-for-donegal-under-21s-with-second-half-surge/

He was in last year too and plenty of promises made and not kept so he walked away. I believe he had only gone in after the previous year on the onus that he’d get a chance at some game time which never happened.
    The well has dried up, several players have moved away and don't want to commit, others have been poorly treated and don't want to come back.

There is also something wrong when Cavan Gaels have to amalgamate at under age levels. I feel like player numbers have dropped significantly at underage and senior level in Cavan. Why is this and where have things gone wrong at club level that lads don't enjoy it or want to play?

The big problem for the Gaels is that a huge number of people in the town are sending their children to Butlersbridge and Killygarry National Schools so they are then playing for those clubs.

Both of those clubs have huge numbers at juvenile levels.

Advertisement