Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Need to try and get Brian O Connell in. Shane Tierney too and hopefully Conor Smith.

Since when did Jason Reilly come part of management?

Jason is with Terry in Leitrim I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Jason is with Terry in Leitrim I believe

He is but was with Cavan team on Saturday. If you go on Cavan FB page and watch video of team arriving at Clones he there about 10 seconds in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

He is but was with Cavan team on Saturday. If you go on Cavan FB page and watch video of team arriving at Clones he there about 10 seconds in.
    I don't think that is actually Jason? But I could be wrong

I don't think that is actually Jason? But I could be wrong

It's him. I had heard talk someone new was brought in. Did not realise it was him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

It's him. I had heard talk someone new was brought in. Did not realise it was him.

Leitrim are out so he may have been helping for a few weeks.

Daragh McCarthy was drafted in halfway through the season too wasn’t he?

• Advertisement

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Leitrim are out so he may have been helping for a few weeks.

Daragh McCarthy was drafted in halfway through the season too wasn’t he?

Darragh McCarthy in all year. GK coach.

I usually like the pair of bucks on We Are Cavan, despite often thinking they rate our players too highly in general, but they’re coming out a bit like the British tabloid media this week.

They built the team up before the games against Tyrone and Donegal and are now ripping them apart.

The losses are a pity but we still won more games in Ulster this year than we did since 2013. We also have a new manager who is only starting to get a stamp on the team.

I do think relegation was a lost opportunity - we deserved to stay in Division 1 over Monaghan - but now we need to build for Division 2.

One thing I can’t understand is why we didn’t enter the Leinster junior championship again, considering we’ve a 40 man panel.

It would have been an interesting addition if the team were still in it.

Anyway, onto the club championship which kicks off on the weekend of the August bank holiday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Cavan should start looking at players from other counties with Cavan parents. The success of Conor Cox for Roscommon shows this. We have a small population and a lot of people move out of Cavan for work, worth considering.

Cavan should start looking at players from other counties with Cavan parents. The success of Conor Cox for Roscommon shows this. We have a small population and a lot of people move out of Cavan for work, worth considering.

He’s not really the norm for a player you’d pick up through that ruling.

We’ve gone down that route before anyway with Gareth Nesty Smith and moving Rory Gallagher into the county.

I don’t think things are that bad. We’re still a team who should be looking at a straight return to Division 1.

Watching the Super 8s game today, we were very unfortunate. It looks like the clear top 4 teams in the country are Dublin, Kerry, Donegal & Tyrone - we played two of those teams to end our season.

Meath vs Mayo today was a very poor game and I’m not being optimistic when I say we could have beaten either of those two sides in Croker today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Watching the Super 8s game today, we were very unfortunate. It looks like the clear top 4 teams in the country are Dublin, Kerry, Donegal & Tyrone - we played two of those teams to end our season.

Meath vs Mayo today was a very poor game and I’m not being optimistic when I say we could have beaten either of those two sides in Croker today.

A lot of ifs and buts in that.
    Cavan were well beaten by both Donegal and Tyrone and both games were over well before half-time.
    Meath and Mayo would probably have beaten them too easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭celt262

A lot of ifs and buts in that.
    Cavan were well beaten by both Donegal and Tyrone and both games were over well before half-time.
    Meath and Mayo would probably have beaten them too easily enough.

Honestly I could not see us putting in performance like Meath and Cork have so far. I think we are a good bit behind them .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

celt262 wrote: »
    Honestly I could not see us putting in performance like Meath and Cork have so far. I think we are a good bit behind them .

Cavan did well against Monaghan and Armagh but they couldn’t step up and put it up to the better teams like Donegal and Tyrone. Meath gave Donegal a very good game. Mayo are a team who are always there or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

So Castlerahan are on for a double/double,absolutle washout in Xkeys for league final but Ramor never looked capable of beating them. Ronan Flanagan playing better than ever,they'll be hard to beat in championship

So Castlerahan are on for a double/double,absolutle washout in Xkeys for league final but Ramor never looked capable of beating them. Ronan Flanagan playing better than ever,they'll be hard to beat in championship

Hard to read into a League final. Ramor I believe were without Conor Bradley & O’Connell for example.

We’ll see where teams are come the weekend when the championship starts.

Hard to read into a League final. Ramor I believe were without Conor Bradley & O’Connell for example.

We’ll see where teams are come the weekend when the championship starts.

Bradley came on. O Connell still in Australia. Ronan Flanagan was outstanding considering the conditions. Great hands.

Bradley came on. O Connell still in Australia. Ronan Flanagan was outstanding considering the conditions. Great hands.

O’Connell must have got some flight to be home and fit to play Friday!

Some shocks in the Intermediate at the weekend with Laragh, Ballinagh and Cuchulainns all losing. They’d have to be three of the favourites.

Denn took a drubbing in the Junior. I can’t see past Killinkere for it.

O’Connell must have got some flight to be home and fit to play Friday!

That was Adam O Connell that played not Brian.

That was Adam O Connell that played not Brian.

Well I asked a Ramor man and was told it was the “good” O’Connell!

Well I asked a Ramor man and was told it was the “good” O’Connell!

Must have been Adam's relation. Brian is well over 6 foot and a brilliant footballer.

• Advertisement

Castlerahan open their year with a win. Good to see Conor Smith on at HT for Killygarry.

No Daly or Pauric Lukie on the Castlerahan teamsheet. Are they injured or not partaking this year?

Castlerahan open their year with a win. Good to see Conor Smith on at HT for Killygarry.

No Daly or Pauric Lukie on the Castlerahan teamsheet. Are they injured or not partaking this year?

Daly was doing water boy so presume injured. Pauric Lukie not togged all year but might be back soon.

Great to see Connor Smith back and he looked sharp for a lad out so long. Oisin Kiernan was outstanding at centre back.

Serious statement from the Gaels in Drumalee this evening. 4-17 to 1-15. Game was over at half time.

Seanie Johnston scored 2-3 I think it was off the bench in 20 minutes. Surely there has to be a role for him as an impact sub next year?

Best for the Gaels were Keenan Donohoe, Paul O’Connor & Andrew Graham.

Gerry Smith and Chris Conroy passengers for Lavey. Best for them was Karl Duke, Shane Tierney & Danny Cusack. Duke never gave up and was the man who kept them in it. Tierney a one man show on the scoreboard.

Saw players from Crosserlough & Castlerahan at the game so both teams being closely watched by the opposition.

Serious statement from the Gaels in Drumalee this evening. 4-17 to 1-15. Game was over at half time.

Seanie Johnston scored 2-3 I think it was off the bench in 20 minutes. Surely there has to be a role for him as an impact sub next year?

Best for the Gaels were Keenan Donohoe, Paul O’Connor & Andrew Graham.

Gerry Smith and Chris Conroy passengers for Lavey. Best for them was Karl Duke, Shane Tierney & Danny Cusack. Duke never gave up and was the man who kept them in it. Tierney a one man show on the scoreboard.

Saw players from Crosserlough & Castlerahan at the game so both teams being closely watched by the opposition.

Bigger statement tonight.

Bigger statement tonight.

You mean Crosserlough beating them?

They have to be the clear favorites after Castlerahan’s disappointing draw with Lavey. I don’t think anyone expected it.

You mean Crosserlough beating them?

They have to be the clear favorites after Castlerahan’s disappointing draw with Lavey. I don’t think anyone expected it.

That and a big statement from manager dropping three star players for discipline reasons.

Looking at the Club Championship to date, a few forwards are at least pushing themselves for inclusion next year.

I think the backs for the county team are fairly settled in (no particular order):

Conor Moynagh
    Padraig Faulker
    Jason McLoughlin
    Killian Clarke
    Gerry Smith
    Ciaran Brady
    Conor Rehill

7 there and you only need six and then Killian Brady and Stephen Murray to provide additional cover.

So its the forward area you are looking to.

McVeety and Niall Murray are probably the only two of the six still guaranteed their positions from this year.

Martin Reilly, while a fantastic servant, may be better move to a role as an impact sub like Mackey.

Conor Madden going well but also looks to be inconsistent so a sub position may be best for him.

The lads holding their hands up appear to be:

Keenan Donohoe (Gaels)
    Conor Smith (Killygarry)
    Enda Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    Caoimhin O'Reilly (Butlersbridge)
    Ryan Connolly (Drumlane)

I'm particularly excited about Smith and Caoimhin. I dunno what it is about O'Reilly but there seems to be an issue that he needs to get over to make him a regular starter for the team. Would be great to see him get the better of it next year and the two lads take up position as our corner forwards.

Ryan Connolly still looks very slight but then that doesn't stop Oisin Gallen for Donegal.

Seanie holding his hand up too and I think there's a definite sub position for him on the panel. Whether his clubmate feels the same I don't know.

Looking at the Club Championship to date, a few forwards are at least pushing themselves for inclusion next year.

I think the backs for the county team are fairly settled in (no particular order):

Conor Moynagh
    Padraig Faulker
    Jason McLoughlin
    Killian Clarke
    Gerry Smith
    Ciaran Brady
    Conor Rehill

7 there and you only need six and then Killian Brady and Stephen Murray to provide additional cover.

So its the forward area you are looking to.

McVeety and Niall Murray are probably the only two of the six still guaranteed their positions from this year.

Martin Reilly, while a fantastic servant, may be better move to a role as an impact sub like Mackey.

Conor Madden going well but also looks to be inconsistent so a sub position may be best for him.

The lads holding their hands up appear to be:

Keenan Donohoe (Gaels)
    Conor Smith (Killygarry)
    Enda Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    Caoimhin O'Reilly (Butlersbridge)
    Ryan Connolly (Drumlane)

I'm particularly excited about Smith and Caoimhin. I dunno what it is about O'Reilly but there seems to be an issue that he needs to get over to make him a regular starter for the team. Would be great to see him get the better of it next year and the two lads take up position as our corner forwards.

Ryan Connolly still looks very slight but then that doesn't stop Oisin Gallen for Donegal.

Seanie holding his hand up too and I think there's a definite sub position for him on the panel. Whether his clubmate feels the same I don't know.

Patrick Lynch of Crosserlough standing out too.

Oisin Kiernan should get a go in his actual position of 6.

Patrick Lynch of Crosserlough standing out too.

Oisin Kiernan should get a go in his actual position of 6.

I think Killian Clarke has made six his own and then you’ve Smith, Brady & Rehill vying for 5 and 7. All offer more speed going forward than Kiernan.

Brady was disappointing in the Championship last year. I remember the Kerry crowd raving about him when we played them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭celt262

I think Killian Clarke has made six his own and then you’ve Smith, Brady & Rehill vying for 5 and 7. All offer more speed going forward than Kiernan.

Brady was disappointing in the Championship last year. I remember the Kerry crowd raving about him when we played them.

Killian Clarke has no position his own.

Advertisement