Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

celt262 wrote: »
    Killian Clarke has no position his own.

A man of few words as always. Care to expand more on your point than the player’s name and five words?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan_King wrote: »
    A man of few words as always. Care to expand more on your point than the player’s name and five words?

When the going gets tought he likes to hide and head for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Seen him at full forward couple times in club championship and was brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Well Caoimhin was already rate as one of the best forwards we have so he's hardly new on the scene. He was injured for much of last year. Ryan Connolly opted out, he was in before, good for frees. Enda Flanagan was in for years and was being played at corner back. I'm not sure he's an intercounty forward. I seen Keenan Donahoe a bit in some Gaels games he didn't exactly set the house on fire but I'd need to see more. Seanie is still one of the best forwards in Cavan.

Not really many new faces there.

He didn't run for the hills against Monaghan and Armagh and was good in the majority of our League games.

If you are talking about the Donegal or Tyrone games, nobody covered themselves in glory.
    Well Caoimhin was already rate as one of the best forwards we have so he's hardly new on the scene. He was injured for much of last year. Ryan Connolly opted out, he was in before, good for frees. Enda Flanagan was in for years and was being played at corner back. I'm not sure he's an intercounty forward. I seen Keenan Donahoe a bit in some Gaels games he didn't exactly set the house on fire but I'd need to see more. Seanie is still one of the best forwards in Cavan.

Not really many new faces there.

Yes, Caoimhin rated as one of the best forwards but hasn't got a run at championship yet. Would like to see him get himself into a starting position.

Connolly I believe opted out after a long season with Drumlane. The lads on We Are Cavan made a good point that Cavan were playing him as an inside forward but he may be better somewhere on the 40.

Flanagan was playing in the half backs. I've seen him be Castlerahan's best player in a few big games in the forwards so would be interested in seeing him given a chance, possibly in McKenna Cup.

Donohoe is young but plenty to work with.

At the end of the day, you're only looking for 2 to 3 new faces to make a breakthrough. You already have Niall Murray & McVeety as definite starters and arguably Martin also. Conor Madden going well in championship too so if you could get Conor Smith and Caoimihin up to speed with a bit more cover it would be great.

• Advertisement

I hear the Gaels and manager parted company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I hear the Gaels and manager parted company.

They looked very disorganised on Sat evening, plenty of on field bickering

Our county manager is double jobbing. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Our county manager is double jobbing. Absolute joke.

Is he taking on the Gaels job? When was this announced?

Is he taking on the Gaels job? When was this announced?

Yeah he taking over. Trained them this week.

• Advertisement

Yeah he taking over. Trained them this week.

Can’t be full time, surely only till the end of the championship? Still a nonsense as he should be getting to as many games as possible.

Can’t be full time, surely only till the end of the championship? Still a nonsense as he should be getting to as many games as possible.

Yeah till end of season but as you said he needs to be identifying and contacting players by getting to loads of games. Think the county board need to step in.

Yeah till end of season but as you said he needs to be identifying and contacting players by getting to loads of games. Think the county board need to step in.

That’s ludicrous.

He needs a full championship to identify his panel, bring some players back, some new blood in, not do the Gaels a favour.

Are you sure about this? I heard he took training as a favor.

In relation to getting to games, it would hardly stop him getting to them if true. The senior games for example are on Friday evening next week and then 3 games on Sunday with 2 hours for each.

I don’t know if he’s too worried about getting to club games anyway because he was on holidays for the first week of the championships!

What a load of rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

It's not as if there is much for him to see at club level, standard is extremely poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

The season could be over for Cavan Gaels next weekend. Kingscourt will fancy turning them over in Lavey. Mickey Graham would have seen plenty of games up to now anyway, to know who's performing. He was at the game today Arva v Drumlane..
    McCabe and the rest of management would cover any game he couldn't see.

rrs wrote: »
    Mickey Graham would have seen plenty of games up to now anyway, to know who's performing. He was at the game today Arva v Drumlane.

Am hoping he can convince Ryan Connolly to opt back in. Surely worth a place for place kicking alone? Would love to see him given a decent run between McKenna Cup and League and cement a place, massive value in having a marksman for place kicking. Would have kept us in Division 1 last year.

It's not as if there is much for him to see at club level, standard is extremely poor.

That's the spirit! Can't beat someone enjoying their club and county football :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

Connolly has been very good from frees in the Intermediate Championship. He will be back on the panel if he can commit.

The Junior Championship wouldn't get much mention, but semi finals are next weekend too. Templeport playing Shannon Gaels in one semi final.. Haven't seen either team but they seem to be playing good football.. Templeport have some players back this year like Liam Galligan who is scoring heavily and could be in with County panel next year..

• Advertisement

Some weather today for football.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Second game should not have been played. Very unfair on lads after prepping all year to have to go and wade through a deluge for the entirety of the game. Very lucky there wasn’t some serious injuries given how difficult it was for lads to hold their feet and the unpredictability of the ball. Credit though to Castlerahan, given the conditions their handling was much superior.

The Gaels were very average last night. Great win for Ramor. A local derby to look forward to.

Ramor coming into the final under the radar like they did in 2016.

Any idea when Cavan’s Division 2 fixtures will be out? I saw a list of Division 1 fixtures for Meath out today.

Ramor coming into the final under the radar like they did in 2016.

Any idea when Cavan’s Division 2 fixtures will be out? I saw a list of Division 1 fixtures for Meath out today.

Armagh away first all I know.

Armagh away first all I know.

Not an easy start so. I’d expect promotion to be between us, them, Kildare and the Rossies.

As I’ve said previously, our back line is fairly settled.

McLoughlin
    Faulkner
    Moynagh
    Rehill
    Clarke
    Smith

It’s the keeper and up front there are questions but then the following have to start IMO:

Murray
    McVeety
    McKiernan (start forward rather than midfield)

That leaves three positions up for grabs as I’ve said.

Hopefully we’ll see Patrick Lynch, Conor Smith, Caoimhin O’Reilly and possibly Ryan Connolly hols their hands up in the McKenna Cup.

James Smith looks a good man for midfield.

Word has it Banty has Monaghan back training already!!

Not an easy start so. I’d expect promotion to be between us, them, Kildare and the Rossies.

As I’ve said previously, our back line is fairly settled.

McLoughlin
    Faulkner
    Moynagh
    Rehill
    Clarke
    Smith

It’s the keeper and up front there are questions but then the following have to start IMO:

Murray
    McVeety
    McKiernan (start forward rather than midfield)

That leaves three positions up for grabs as I’ve said.

Hopefully we’ll see Patrick Lynch, Conor Smith, Caoimhin O’Reilly and possibly Ryan Connolly hols their hands up in the McKenna Cup.

James Smith looks a good man for midfield.

Word has it Banty has Monaghan back training already!!

Get Evan Doughty in.

Also should be working on getting Paul Smith and Breen O Connell in. Shane Tierney too.

Get Evan Doughty in.

Also should be working on getting Paul Smith and Breen O Connell in. Shane Tierney too.

Tierney wont go in. Doughy is going in not sure about the others.

Get Evan Doughty in.

Paul Smith wouldn’t go in last year so I can’t see that changing.

O’Connell might unless he is traveling again.

Tierney won’t either. He’s late 20s, has a young child and not happy with the way he was treated by McGleenan.

I read an article that McVeety is taking a career break and going travelling for a few months so he may miss some of the league.

• Advertisement

Paul Smith wouldn’t go in last year so I can’t see that changing.

O’Connell might unless he is traveling again.

Tierney won’t either. He’s late 20s, has a young child and not happy with the way he was treated by McGleenan.

I read an article that McVeety is taking a career break and going travelling for a few months so he may miss some of the league.

They should still be asked and see if Mickey can be persuasive.

Advertisement