Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

I heard that quiet a few lads are heading to America after the Armagh game i hope to god that there is little truth in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

celt262 wrote: »
    I heard that quiet a few lads are heading to America after the Armagh game i hope to god that there is little truth in that.

I would think there is little truth in it. Any alleged names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

We had a situation like that last year with some players leaving for the US after the Galway game. Antrim had some players opting out mid-season too. It's a sad fact of life for a lot of counties these days because US clubs make nearly irresistible offers to lure county players over for the summer.

Players might only be considering offers - Senan Kilbride was doing similar last month for us - but in a lot of cases players won't be making a definite decision for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

not sure if thats still possible, I thought a rule came in recently and I found this in the official guide:
    A player who has been included on an InterCounty Senior Championship list submitted to the Referee, in accordance with Rules of Specification 2.5 (ii)(a) for a game in the current year’s Championship shall not be eligible to be accepted for Registration as a member of any Club in the North American County Board Jurisdiction.
    http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/Official_Guide_2012_Part1.pdf (rule 6.11 b (ii) page 74)

not sure if thats still possible, I thought a rule came in recently and I found this in the official guide:

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/Official_Guide_2012_Part1.pdf (rule 6.11 b (ii) page 74)

I thought it was untrue alright. These lads have put in a lot of work and aren't going to just walk away without even playing in the qualifiers IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

The sad reality is that a lot of these players wont be afforded the luxury to sit around and wait for the qualifiers , i'm pretty sure that a fairly high percentage of them have student loans etc to be repaid .

i think it's a unique opportunity for a lot of these players and would not begrudge them the opportunity to make a few quid on the back of their talent .

i would like to see them stay until after the qualifiers but i understand that the players must be sanctioned for 90 days or at least it was when i played there back a number of years ago

however i doubt that many of them have signed up yet and doubt they will should we beat armagh .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I'm torn on this one to be honest. I know that when the qualifiers came in first that certain people around the county set-up thought that the qualifiers were not worth the effort and were beneath Cavan. That filtered down and has taken a while to get rid of that attitude and has gone a long way to explain our frankly shocking record in the qualifiers.

I can though understand that the players have sacrificed a lot and there is an opportunity for them in the states as cavan4sam has said but surely the qualifiers are worth sticking around for (I know it can be a long wait) especially when you have trained so hard all winter and spring for the championship - look at the runs some counties such as Fermanagh and Sligo have had in the qualifiers through taking the right attitude. If I was in Terry's shoes I would get the lads to sign-up for the long haul and not just the championship.

While I feel the Armagh match is a massive one for Cavan football and for me a must win, even if we don't win we should have a real crack at the qualifiers.

I really don't want to be here in a fortnight navel gazing about how close we came to beating Armagh and how big a loss GMac was and how we could have won without him and how a few lads are going off to America but never mind we have good underage teams coming through - that will be another wasted year for Cavan football..

Time to get some chat going here with a week to the game.

My championship 15 (if all are available, rumours floating around that Jack Brady won't be).

Alan O'Meara if fit

Killian Clarke
    James McEnroe
    Jason McLoughlin

John McCutcheon
    Alan Clarke
    Damien Reilly

Mossie Corr
    David Givney

Cian Mackey
    Barry Reilly
    Mark McKeever

Martin Dunne
    Eugene Keating
    Jack Brady

Those close to a start would be Oisin Minagh, Martin Reilly, Niall McDermott, Niall Smith (although he's missing a while), Joshua Hayes, Rory Dunne and Fergal Flanagan.

Hard to believe its only a week to championship :eek:

for what its worth my starting 15 would be

Alan O'Meara (if not fit Gilsenan)

Killian Clarke
    Rory Dunne
    Jason McLoughlin

Ronan Flanagan
    Alan Clarke
    James McEnroe

Mossie Corr
    David Givney

Cian Mackey
    Declan McKiernan/ Turloc Mooney
    Mark McKeever

Martin Dunne
    Eugene Keating
    Jack Brady

Armagh team named tonight:

Armagh: P McEvoy; P McKeown, D McKenna, M Shields; A Kernan, B Donaghy, C McKeever; S Harold, J Lavery; C Rafferty, C O’Hanlon, K Dyas; T Kernan, J Clarke, S Forker.

• Advertisement

Cavan will line out 1 to 15 as follows:

1. Conor Gilsenan (Bailieborough Shamrocks)
    2. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
    3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)
    4. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
    5. James McEnroe (Ramor United)
    6. Alan Clarke (Kingscourt) Captain
    7. Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan)
    8. Damien O'Reilly (Belturbet)
    9. David Givney (Mountnugent)
    10. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
    11. Jack Brady (Ramor United)
    12. Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge)
    13. Niall McDermott (Ballinagh)
    14. Martin Dunne (Cavan Gaels)
    15. Eugene Keating (Saint Sylvesters)

I would hope there will be a couple of changes before the game. I would hope to see Mark McKeever start at the expense of Niall McDermott.

Lemlin wrote: »

3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)

I would hope there will be a couple of changes before the game. I would hope to see Mark McKeever start at the expense of Niall McDermott.

Happy with 1-7 - way I called it. Rory Dunne will have to mind Clarke and someone will have to follow forker and kernan too..

No Mossie Corr or Mark McKeever:eek::eek:. Two of our best players in the league - does Damien O'Reilly play midfield for his club??

Any word on the minors - hearing some daft stories coming out of Breffni about them..

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Fairly predictable team. McKeever left out and McDermott starting is the shocks I suppose. If Corr is injured I suppose Damien O'Reilly is our next best option at midfield. Hard to know how the team will line out though even if it starts as named!

What stories you hearing about the Minors Tom? You can PM me if you'd rather not post it..

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Happy with 1-7 - way I called it. Rory Dunne will have to mind Clarke and someone will have to follow forker and kernan too..

No Mossie Corr or Mark McKeever:eek::eek:. Two of our best players in the league - does Damien O'Reilly play midfield for his club??

Any word on the minors - hearing some daft stories coming out of Breffni about them..

Corr was meant to be carrying a knock. I still think we could see both start. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or 4 changes.

The only game Reilly started at midfield in the league was the Fermanagh game where he lasted less than ten minutes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Clarke out at midfield and the backs shifted round.

I spoke to an Armagh man I know today and he was saying they are very buoyed by Cavan losing McKiernan.

The full forward line is clearly the strongest area of their team he said and they have a midfielder, can't remember which, who is returning 2 to 3 points a game.

3. Rory Dunne (Redhills)

i'd have thought he'd have started miller in goals , gilsenan is not a man for the big occassion

also thought mc keever and mc cutcheon did enough to start

still i think we can put it up to armagh if we can contain clarke

cavan4sam wrote: »
    i'd have thought he'd have started miller in goals , gilsenan is not a man for the big occassion

also thought mc keever and mc cutcheon did enough to start

still i think we can put it up to armagh if we can contain clarke

McKeever, McCutcheon and Corr all allegedly have injuries.

Gilsenen is the right 'keeper to go for. Reilly has shown in recent years that he's a shadow of the player twice nominated for an all star in the mid 00s.

Remember too that Gilsenen is good to knock over a 45, even from a difficult angle.

McKeever, McCutcheon and Corr all allegedly have injuries.

Gilsenen is the right 'keeper to go for. Reilly has shown in recent years that he's a shadow of the player twice nominated for an all star in the mid 00s.

Remember too that Gilsenen is good to knock over a 45, even from a difficult angle.

He is also very likely to do something stupid but it may be the right step to get someone new in just wish he had some league time.

He is also very likely to do something stupid but it may be the right step to get someone new in just wish he had some league time.

Why is he "very likely" to do something stupid? He made a mistake in the All Ireland semi this year and last year. Are you forgetting the three other games he played in each year?

Reilly is far more likely to be a liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Why is he "very likely" to do something stupid? He made a mistake in the All Ireland semi this year and last year. Are you forgetting the three other games he played in each year?

Remember when Reilly came out of goal v Kildare last year dribblin the ball at his feet? If you saw it at Junior B you'd laugh. Reilly hasn't played well in a long time. Gilsenan deserves his shot.

Yes 3 other games in each year

I think you guys are showing a lack of respect to a man who saved Cavan from even worse beatings to what they got down through the years.

• Advertisement

Remember when Reilly came out of goal v Kildare last year dribblin the ball at his feet? If you saw it at Junior B you'd laugh. Reilly hasn't played well in a long time. Gilsenan deserves his shot.

I never said that he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Lads i don't know if we have any Shamrocks on boards.ie,but what is the deal with Alan O Mara and Conor Gilsenan not playing much with Baileborough? I know Gilsenan had a transfer to Killinkere turned down earlier this year ,but whats the problem with O Mara??

As for the team on Sunday,I'm normally very optimistic regarding Cavan football, but i have to be honest in saying that i'm pretty perplexed by this team selection , John McCutcheon has to be a definite starter when fit,He is one of the best players in the county week in week out.Surely Barry Reily/Martin Reily should start because they are our best and perhaps only free kick takers from the ground,. Mark McKeever has had a very good league campaign also and is desperately unlucky not to start. Fergal Flanagan at wing forward???? Hes a good player but that is not his position.

I would be hoping that there will be a host of changes before throw-in on Sunday.

Yes 3 other games in each year

I think you guys are showing a lack of respect to a man who saved Cavan from even worse beatings to what they got down through the years.

I have always spoken very highly of James. I remember numerous games where he saved us from severe beatings. That was then and this is now though.

You are the one being unfair saying Gilsenan is likely to do something stupid.

I have always spoken very highly of James. I remember numerous games where he saved us from severe beatings. That was then and this is now though.
    You are the one being unfair saying Gilsenan is likely to do something stupid.

How is it unfair i have seen him make two possible game costing mistakes in 8 games :confused:

How is it unfair i have seen him make two possible game costing mistakes in 8 games :confused:

Gilsenen wasn't at fault for the loss to Cork. We were second best on the day and that is that.

Yes, so he's had six solid games where he performed well yet you are emphasising the two where he made mistakes.

At this stage Reilly is making a mistake a game. I don't think it was a penalty against Fermanagh this year but he still had no need to leave his line.

Last year against Kildare was a farce and, in the league last year, he almost cost us the Sligo game by coming out of his goal to totally miss a ball. He was just lucky Damien Reilly caught it and not a Sligo man.

Andrews even dropped him for Fannin, an outfield player, last year.

Gilsenen wasn't at fault for the loss to Cork. We were second best on the day and that is that.

Yes, so he's had six solid games where he performed well yet you are emphasising the two where he made mistakes.

Two very costly mistakes

At this stage Reilly is making a mistake a game. I don't think it was a penalty against Fermanagh this year but he still had no need to leave his line.

Should he have let the lad walk it in? What mistakes has he made in the other games?

Last year against Kildare was a farce

So its millers fault we lost to Kildare?

, in the league last year, he almost cost us the Sligo game by coming out of his goal to totally miss a ball. He was just lucky Damien Reilly caught it and not a Sligo man.

Hasn't cost us many games over the years

Andrews even dropped him for Fannin, an outfield player, last year.

That went well

Like I said, the mistake against Cork didn't lose Cavan the game. Being the second best team on the day did. I wasn't at the Roscommon game last year due to a wedding but, from people I know and whose opinion I would trust, a poor and biased Meath ref cost us the game. Not Gilsenen.

Were you at the Fermanagh game? Because from your reply it sounds like you don't know the circumstance of the penalty. Reilly came out to try and catch a ball when there was a covering back there. There was no need for him to leave his line. If the Fermanagh man caught the ball he still had to get the ball down, wrestle off the back and then contend with Reilly on the line. It was hardly leaving him to walk the ball in if Reilly didn't go for it. In fact, the back had it well covered IMO.

I just named three mistakes that come to mind straight away above and those are all games in the last twelve months. Considering he hasn't featured in that many surely that's proof enough.

Did I say he cost us the Kildare game? No, like another poster above, I was pointing to his ridiculous antics that you wouldn't see in a junior B game.

He saved us in plenty of games over the years and was a great servant but, like I said, that was then and this is now.

Like I said, the mistake against Cork didn't lose Cavan the game. Being the second best team on the day did. I wasn't at the Roscommon game last year due to a wedding but, from people I know and whose opinion I would trust, a poor and biased Meath ref cost us the game. Not Gilsenen.

Still a very bad mistake no matter what way you dress it up.

Were you at the Fermanagh game?
    I was indeed.
    Because from your reply it sounds like you don't know the circumstance of the penalty. Reilly came out to try and catch a ball when there was a covering back there. There was no need for him to leave his line.

It was that close to the goals he had to go for it, the keeper should always go for the ball in that area.

If the Fermanagh man caught the ball he still had to get the ball down, wrestle off the back and then contend with Reilly on the line. It was hardly leaving him to walk the ball in if Reilly didn't go for it. In fact, the back had it well covered IMO.

I just named three mistakes that come to mind straight away above and those are all games in the last twelve months. Considering he hasn't featured in that many surely that's proof enough.

That fact that he hasn't played in that many is alright to use against him but its not for Gilsenen.

Did I say he cost us the Kildare game? No, like another poster above, I was pointing to his ridiculous antics that you wouldn't see in a junior B game.

What else did you want him to do when none of his team mates were looking for the ball.

He saved us in plenty of games over the years and was a great servant but, like I said, that was then and this is now.

I don't know why you are so defensive of Gilsenen all that i said was that he is likely to do something stupid, which he has done in two all-ireland semi finals.

I don't know why you are so defensive of Gilsenen all that i said was that he is likely to do something stupid, which he has done in two all-ireland semi finals.

Clear his lines. Thump the ball down the pitch. There were plenty of things he could have done.

I'm defensive because I'm tired of people being highly critical of the young players. Gilsenen is the best option available and deserves his chance.

• Advertisement

Clear his lines. Thump the ball down the pitch. There were plenty of things he could have done.

I'm defensive because I'm tired of people being highly critical of the young players. Gilsenen is the best option available and deserves his chance.

Yeah but that doesn't change the fact he is prone to costly errors.

Yeah but that doesn't change the fact he is prone to costly errors.

We'll agree to disagree and see how he does tomorrow. I still think you are being overly harsh.

I'm hoping his knack for kicking 45s proves valuable tomorrow.

We'll agree to disagree and see how he does tomorrow. I still think you are being overly harsh.

I'm hoping his knack for kicking 45s proves valuable tomorrow.

I'm hope he will be fine tomorrow and i hope you acknowledge that i never once said that he shouldn't be playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rod sallie

48 mins gone. 1-10 to 0-8. Not a good game but it's Cavan's to lose. if armagh start to go at it like there's no tomorrow
    they can take this because they are fitter (have more stamina) and more fearful of losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Martin Dunne was amazing.

A good result. Beating Armagh will be a morale booster.(as good as winning an Ulster in the forties!) For the record it should have been closer and in respect of the remark about Gilsenan making mistakes he played ok today but if he's going to kick a free wide then he should choose carefully which side to go for.

• Advertisement

Aye Martin was xtraordinary, Looks like he could be even if he was standing on one leg. Great display!.

Good work Cabin. Armagh are no great shakes at all these days and I'd safely say Fermanagh are a better team right now. If Cavan kick on it is very much a winnable tie, though.

Syferus wrote: »
    Good work Cabin. Armagh are no great shakes at all these days and I'd safely say Fermanagh are a better team right now. If Cavan kick on it is very much a winnable tie, though.

I wouldn't think Fermanagh are better than Armagh tbh. Armagh are a Division 2 team and a good side. I thought our lads gave a very good account of themselves and what they are about today - Extremely hard working players.

It's true to say Armagh aren't near the level of a decade ago but they were All Ireland champions then.

Fermanagh beat us in the league but we beat them in the qualifiers last year. They know our gameplan and Canavan knows how to combat it.

That said, we were severely hampered in the league game by Reilly being sent off so early, as well as the ref inexplicably waiting until the last minute to send off a couple of their players when they should of been off long before then.

Is the game in Breffni, Clones or Brewster?

I wouldn't think Fermanagh are better than Armagh tbh. Armagh are a Division 2 team and a good side. I thought our lads gave a very good account of themselves and what they are about today - Extremely hard working players.

It's true to say Armagh aren't near the level of a decade ago but they were All Ireland champions then.

Fermanagh beat us in the league but we beat them in the qualifiers last year. They know our gameplan and Canavan knows how to combat it.

That said, we were severely hampered in the league game by Reilly being sent off so early, as well as the ref inexplicably waiting until the last minute to send off a couple of their players when they should of been off long before then.

Is the game in Breffni, Clones or Brewster?

They survived in D2 as much by luck as design - thanks should be paid to Wexford's late game collapse in their final D2 game against Laois if we're talking about Armagh's league status. They lost to us quite handily in Round 1 in last year's championship as well and we were missing plenty of our first choice players that day, nevermind the panel not really accepting the manager.

It's not to take something away from a result that is a high watermark for Cavan in recent years but Fermanagh is a far more cohesive unit than the Armagh team you just beat and even if individually you could make the case the Armagh players are better their team is less than a sum of its parts while Fermanagh is the opposite.

I think Cavan will find Fermanagh harder to break down (not that that says much) and that beating Armagh won't mean much if you can't come out the next day and rubber stamp the performance with a win against a similar level of opponent. It's definitely within Cavan's capabilities but likewise Fermanagh will be looking at it as a big opportunity too.

With the talk of Fermanagh potentially being unable to play a home game due to the G8 summit having the county on lockdown it'll be interesting to see where the game is played.

Syferus wrote: »
    They survived in D2 as much by luck as design - thanks should be paid to Wexford's late game collapse in their final D2 game against Laois if we're talking about Armagh's league status. They lost to us quite handily in Round 1 in last year's championship as well and we were missing plenty of our first choice players that day, nevermind the panel not really accepting the manager.

It's not to take something away from a result that is a high watermark for Cavan in recent years but Fermanagh is a far more cohesive unit than the Armagh team you just beat and even if individually you could make the case the Armagh players are better their team is less than a sum of its parts while Fermanagh is the opposite.

I think Cavan will find Fermanagh harder to break down (not that that says much) and that beating Armagh won't mean much if you can't come out the next day and rubber stamp the performance with a win against a similar level of opponent. It's definitely within Cavan's capabilities but likewise Fermanagh will be looking at it as a big opportunity too.

With the talk of Fermanagh potentially being unable to play a home game due to the G8 summit having the county on lockdown it'll be interesting to see where the game is played.

There's plenty for Cavan to work on ahead of the Fermanagh game. There were more than a few poor errors today like misplaced passes and some wides which should have been scores.

Canavan knows the Cavan team inside out and he got a further look at us today. He'll be well aware of Keating, who didn't play against them in the league due to injury, and Dunne was well marshalled in the League game.

The one area we struggled against Fermanagh was them leaving a couple of backs around Dunne and Barry Reilly. Armagh allowed the two man full forward line space today. Fermanagh won't do that. We'll have to work hard for our scores and take them.

It was good to see there wasn't as big a reliance on Mackey today as there was in some of the League games. Against Fermanagh, he literally couldn't run five steps without being dragged down or tripped after his performances against Meath and Monaghan.

Great goal by him today. A fact many neutrals may not know is that he was one of the five players told they were not required by Andrews and Hyland in November 2011. I'm sure ye can guess one of the others :D

• Advertisement

First time getting sitting down after the match - still on cloud 9 to be honest.

I've been saying for a while that this was a must win game for Cavan football and it was a fantastic result with Terry Hyland showing what a good tactician he is - he picked the team that would beat Armagh - albeit a poor Armagh team. I really felt for Dunnie early on as he looked unsure of himself but fair play to him he didn't hide and kept going and got his reward. Keating was unplayable at times. Rory Dunne was fantastic and the defence done a great job against Clarke. Perfect day was rounded off by the minors getting a one point win when not much was expected off them.

I heard that the Fermanagh game will be in Breffni (not sure if it has been decided yet though). We need to kick on and beat Fermanagh now which won't be an easy task but the lads will have got a huge lift out of today's result. Unlike past Cavan teams they didn't buckle when Armagh got their goal - shows you the value of having players that are used to winning.

All in all a near perfect day for Cavan football:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I was delighted to be proven wrong regarding the team selection,great performance and we could have won by more,only for some poor shooting at times. Fermanagh in more than likely Clones in 4 weeks time is something to look forward to. Great result by the minors aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Kildare will soon come sniffin around Dunne too

Hammar wrote: »
    I was delighted to be proven wrong regarding the team selection,great performance and we could have won by more,only for some poor shooting at times. Fermanagh in more than likely Clones in 4 weeks time is something to look forward to. Great result by the minors aswell.

I have full trust in Terry but I was even expecting 3 or 4 changes and I got an even further shock when I heard Killian Brady was starting as a half forward.

It worked though and fair play to Terry for proving the doubters wrong.

To be honest you have the top 8 in the country and then there can be very little between all the other counties after that. We showed today that we should be fit to give anyone a game from Division 2 downwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

well done to cavan today... you have come a long way..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

can i ask how come it was Martin Dunnes debut in the championship today? seeing as he scored some great points you wonder why it took until he was 24 to start.
    edit Well done Cavan.

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    can i ask how come it was Martin Dunnes debut in the championship today? seeing as he scored some great points you wonder why it took until he was 24 to start.
    edit Well done Cavan.

Dunne can be a frustrating player but has lifted his game this year. He's the type of player who can score 5 or 6 points from play yet kick 8 or 9 wides while he's at it.

Last year he was going well in the League (scored three goals against Tipp) but was dropped to the Junior team for the championship as he was carrying a niggle. He helped the Junior team to the Leinster junior championship.

He's played for Cavan at every grade and been a big name in club football for a few years but he couldn't make the Cavan U21 starting 15 in 2010 for example.

I think last year he hugely infuriated management against Offaly in the League. He was through on goal and just needed to bury the ball into the net. Instead he tried a little cheeky chip shot that struck the crossbar.

Cavan were five up at the time and would have gone eight points up. Instead, Offaly got back into the game and ended up winning.

I would have been a critic of his last year due to his amount of wides but management appear to have worked with him and he has matured alot in the past couple of years.

It took alot of composure for him to perform so well after his poor start yesterday.

I posted on here on a few months back that Dunne had more natural ability than Seanie Johnston but that was seen as sour grapes by some. Yesterday Dunne showed the ability he has but it could have been so different after a shaky start. He needs to show this year than he is Cavan's full forward for the future - hopefully he keeps the confidence up because when he is in the mood he can destroy teams. Keating too has all the ability but sometimes needs to look for a team mate when near in to goal - he should have looked up yesterday for his goal chance as Reilly had a tap in if he had given the pass.

Can't believe the nonsense I heard today that the game could still be played in Brewster - hopefully sense will prevail and the game will be refixed for either Breffni or Clones.

well done and big congrats to all involved

but lets not let the good work come undone we need to beat fermanagh or its just a flash in the pan win

great performance all round and hyland got his tactics spot on and even if armagh had continued with the sweeper i honestly think cavans speed of counter attack would have paid dividends

dunne has come of age , a fine footballer getting his rewards but make no mistake he wont be the match winner against fermanagh as he will be marked a lot closer and probably battered around but i've every confidence that the rest of the lads will step up to the plate

midfield is my only major concern but lets hope the lads just had an off day

anyway its good to be a cavan fan this week we need an odd day in the sun

i think the critisism at armagh and lack of praise of cavan will stand to the lads and keep the heads level

also a great spirited win by the minors looks to be a few really talented lads coming through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Just wanted to congratulate the Cavan contingent here on their thoroughly deserved victory on Sunday. Better team, with better tactics and greater hunger won. Although the future should be looking good for Cavan - and it would be great to see a sleeping giant awaken again on the National stage - I hope that the ineptness of our performance ensures that Cavan do not get carried away with this victory. No reason why Cavan cannot go on from here.

As a neutral, I hope yourselves and Monaghan meet up in the semi - that would be a match I'd look forward to seeing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement