Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

rrs wrote: »
    Yeah BBC NI sport have it online

https://t.co/sQIUN1l8fF?amp=1

There was an illegal handpass in the run up to the goal. You can't pass the ball over the shoulder like that.

Good to see Connolly and Madden getting good scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan_King wrote: »
    There was an illegal handpass in the run up to the goal. You can't pass the ball over the shoulder like that.

Good to see Connolly and Madden getting good scores.

The Cavan defenders looked like they we’re playing a non-contact sport.
    Didn’t lay a hand on the Tyrone forwards at all.
    That will have to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

interesting interview with Kilian Clarke there on newstalk a couple of days ago. Nothing too surprising really (theres been a fair bit of talk on overworked intercounty players in the past weeks) but its refreshing to hear someone say it as it is from inside the inter county bubble.
    https://www.offtheball.com/football/killian-clarke-gaa-opt-out-945740
    "I don't know what way you'd say it, but I just fell out of love with the game a bit from a few tough defeats we took at the latter end of last year.

"With those gym sessions and training sessions late in the evenings with a lot of travelling, you kind of think to yourself why you're doing this, why do I need to?

"In the last month or two, I've got a lot more time to spend with my family and girlfriend and just making my own decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭rrs

What's the situation regarding Mackey? He has played with Cavan since he was 18,so if retired, it's bound to have been made public. I heard he wasn't asked back. Can Cavan afford to drop experienced players like Mackey?
    He went on the beer and didn't start for Castlerahan in Ulster, was dropped earlier in the Championship for them too.

Maybe Graham is trying to get away from the drinking culture.

Farewell the ginger Messi. Castlerahan could do the 3 in a row with Mackey fully committed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Lads we have lost one of best players of the past 20 years, not sure where we will get leadership when things are in the melting pot this year!!!!

He just knew what to do and when to do it!

Mickey should have tried to keep him for at least this year until the other lads come back

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Farewell the ginger Messi. Castlerahan could do the 3 in a row with Mackey fully committed.

Talk he taking over Denn.

What's the situation regarding Mackey? He has played with Cavan since he was 18,so if retired, it's bound to have been made public. I heard he wasn't asked back. Can Cavan afford to drop experienced players like Mackey?
    He went on the beer and didn't start for Castlerahan in Ulster, was dropped earlier in the Championship for them too.

Maybe Graham is trying to get away from the drinking culture.

I don’t think it’s any secret that the management are trying to remove the drinking culture. In fairness to Mackey, the great servant that he has been, I believe he only went into the panel again a few years back because Terry directly approached him and even organised employment for him when he was bound for Australia

He’s been a great addition over some very lean years and has been a class act all the way. I remember against Mayo in 05 in Castlebar when he came on and the Mayo supporters thought he was an U10!

Hopefully he enjoys retirement.

He was over in London working, when McGleenan took over. He coaxed him back to play too.

I remember when Mackey was 21/22, he was playing as a corner forward for Cavan in the League. He played some good stuff, but was slight enough . I think when Peter Donnelly as SC coach got involved, around 2013, he got more stronger and was the key player.
    He had a serious game up in Derry that year and throughout the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

Yevon wrote: »
    Worth noting that the county board have yet to acknowledge the retirement of one of Cavan's best ever players. Will be extremely bad form if they don't.
    Other stalwarts have gone over the years without a whisper, Mossy, Rory Dunne in particular deserved to have their contribution and departure recognised.

They either do it for everyone or dont do it for anyone.

• Advertisement

Worth noting that the county board have yet to acknowledge the retirement of one of Cavan's best ever players. Will be extremely bad form if they don't.
    Other stalwarts have gone over the years without a whisper, Mossy, Rory Dunne in particular deserved to have their contribution and departure recognised.

Problem now is they’ve ignored that many leaving over the years if they do something for Mackey it will draw attention to how they ignored others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

Problem now is they’ve ignored that many leaving over the years if they do something for Mackey it will draw attention to how they ignored others.

They have something up for Mackey now.

Good to see they put up a tribute. Should continue to do so now for any stalwart who officially retires.

We are 4th in the betting for Division 2. Generous I would have thought.

Do you mean generous as in they're generous to put up as 4th because you'd expect us to be lower or generous as in you think we're worth a bet at 4th odds?
    I presume Roscommon, Kildare & Armagh are above us.

I see Nevin O Donnell is a sub with Leitrim today. He was trainings with the Cavan at the start of last year played with the Leotruj for a few years before that.

I see Nevin O Donnell is a sub with Leitrim today. He was trainings with the Cavan at the start of last year played with the Leotruj for a few years before that.

He's a coach with Cavan Board at the minute. Apparently did well for Shannon Gaels last year but has suffered with injuries at different stages of his career.

Is Jacon McLoughlin injured?
    The two lads on We Are Cavan picked their starting teams for the Armagh game and there was no mention of him so I presume he is.

Gerry Smith not mentioned either but I had heard he will miss half the League again.

I was listening to them picking the team, cringe at times. He's unbelievable, phenomenol, brilliant
    Any Cavan player that comes along they just go over board. Cavan have gone through 60 or 70 players in since 2013,so they can't be all phenomenol.

I was listening to them picking the team, cringe at times. He's unbelievable, phenomenol, brilliant
    Any Cavan player that comes along they just go over board. Cavan have gone through 60 or 70 players in since 2013,so they can't be all phenomenol.

The one thing I would agree with is their comments on Connolly. He was in around the team a couple of years ago and looked like a tough wind would blow him over. He's really put in the work since then and looks the part now.

Whatever happens Saturday week, these lads are putting in serious work and I hope the county gets behind them. Armagh away is a big ask to get the points.

Interesting discussion with Mickey Graham on the We Are Cavan podcast. I listened this morning. A quite short interview at 25 minutes but he said the panel should be out - it isn't yet. 33 players.

He did speak out about how the attitude hasn't always been there with players to apply themselves - mentioning talent only gets a group so far, they need to apply themselves.

I did get the feeling however he wasn't overly hopeful about the Armagh game. He did say they aim to win every game but he also talked about learning and building momentum through the League. Listening to it, I'd be driving to Armagh with a glass half empty mind rather than being as optimistic as I was previously.

Michael Hannon predicting Cavan to get relegated in the Celt. Damien Donohoe predicting promotion on We are Cavan.

Cavan won't go down. Most of the counties in the Division have been affected with withdrawals. 2 Murtaghs with Roscommon. Gary Brennan Jamie Malone with Clare.

Ross Munnelly still playing with Laois. They have a ageing team, Begley, O Loughlin, lillis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

Wouldn't be chomping at the bit for the incoming year listening to that from Mickey. Still a few years to go with S&C (as always) Going to Armagh 'with nothing to lose'. Main aim for the year is to retain Division 2 status.

You'd hope it's a different attitude in camp.

I wouldn't be too bothered about what anyone says in interviews, it's what happens on the pitch that matters.
    A relegation dogfight isn't out of the question,hopefully it won't come to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wouldn't be chomping at the bit for the incoming year listening to that from Mickey. Still a few years to go with S&C (as always) Going to Armagh 'with nothing to lose'. Main aim for the year is to retain Division 2 status.

You'd hope it's a different attitude in camp.

That does not inspire confidence.
    Very defeatist. Unless it’s just guff.

Team named.

https://cavangaa.ie/2020/01/cavan-team-named-allianz-football-league-div2-roinn-1/

1 Raymond Galligan
    2 Paddy Meade
    3 Padraig Faulkner
    4 Luke Fortune
    5 Ciaran Brady
    6 Benjamin Kelly
    7 Oisin Kiernan
    8 Killian Brady
    9 Evaan Fortune
    10 Stephen Smith
    11 Simon Cadden
    12 Niall Murray
    13 Martin Reilly
    14 Gearoid McKiernan
    15 Conor Madden
    16 Liam Brady
    17 Gerard Smith
    18 Paul Gilcreest
    19 Chris Conroy
    20 Bryan Magee
    21 Oisin Pierson
    22 Conor Smith
    23 Evan Doughty
    24 James Smith
    25 Liam Buchanan
    26 Ryan Connolly

I put it at six League debutants. Meade, Luke Fortune, Ben Kelly, Evaan Fortune, Stephen Smith and Simon Cadden.

I'd love to see Gearoid stay in the forward line but I don't expect it to happen.
    Also surprised to see that Pierson, Connolly and Conor Smith (although he's carrying a slight knock) are all on the bench.

I don't think Mickey really does dummy teams. The team named generally starts although positions can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

That does not inspire confidence.
    Very defeatist. Unless it’s just guff.

Mickey Graham is a far more astute than people are giving him credit for. There's no way he's bringing a team down to Armagh to make up the numbers. There is serious hype about this Armagh team and they (as yet) have proven that they can't handle pressure. Last year in the league they blew hot and cold (often in the same games), so no harm having them go in as red hot favourites. If we weather the early onslaught and Faulkner does a job on O'Neill, Armagh are no great shakes at the back.

In both Championship games Armagh flew out of the blocks (particularly the replay) and could have racked up a number of goals. We need to keep it tight for the first 15 and not give away too many frees. O'Neill doesn't miss many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I don't think Mickey really does dummy teams. The team named generally starts although positions can change.

Really? He's always at it! Sure Mackey was listed to start against Armagh in both games last year. Pierson or Connolly would start i would say- perhaps even both.

McKiernan is wasted at full forward. He needs space to run into and kick those big scores from distance that lift the team. Personally I would have him on the 40 everyday. Played his most consistent football there in 2016, but we probably will see him in the middle. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Gunner do a man to man job on Burns in the middle but also could do with him at corner back.

Shame that Stephen Murray isn't on the panel, hope he's not a long-term injury.

Really? He's always at it! Sure Mackey was listed to start against Armagh in both games last year. Pierson or Connolly would start i would say- perhaps even both.

McKiernan is wasted at full forward. He needs space to run into and kick those big scores from distance that lift the team. Personally I would have him on the 40 everyday. Played his most consistent football there in 2016, but we probably will see him in the middle. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Gunner do a man to man job on Burns in the middle but also could do with him at corner back.

Shame that Stephen Murray isn't on the panel, hope he's not a long-term injury.

Jason McLoughlin a big loss too. There are a few I'm surprised to see named - Gerry Smith and Conor Smith aren't fit from what I've heard anyway.

Most League games last year Mickey probably made about one change though. He doesn't generally make wholesale changes. A few positional changes but not many to the starting 15.

I agree re McKiernan. Evaan Fortune has looked decent in patches at midfield. McKiernan needed on the 40 and drop out to support for kick outs.

I'm travelling tomorrow but doubt many are. 15 euro a ticket - Am I right in thinking that's an increase on last year? I thought it was ten last year for League matches.

That's more or less the same 6 backs that played v Armagh in Mckenna Cup. They would need to improve from that showing. Doubt Killian Brady will be midfield. Simon Cadden must have performed well in a few challenges game ls because he didn't start in the Mckenna Cup. Will be changes no doubt.

That's more or less the same 6 backs that played v Armagh in Mckenna Cup. They would need to improve from that showing. Doubt Killian Brady will be midfield. Simon Cadden must have performed well in a few challenges game ls because he didn't start in the Mckenna Cup. Will be changes no doubt.

Looks a defensive team minded team to me. I'd worry about where the scores will come from. Would like/hope to see one of Pierson or Connolly start.

Madden has looked in decent form.

I do have great faith in Graham but he strikes me as a manager who doesn't seem to put much emphasis on the League. Last year he talked that Monaghan in the Summer was the target and again this year he has said the aim of the League is to avoid relegation and build momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Jason McLoughlin a big loss too. There are a few I'm surprised to see named - Gerry Smith and Conor Smith aren't fit from what I've heard anyway.

Most League games last year Mickey probably made about one change though. He doesn't generally make wholesale changes. A few positional changes but not many to the starting 15.

I agree re McKiernan. Evaan Fortune has looked decent in patches at midfield. McKiernan needed on the 40 and drop out to support for kick outs.

I'm travelling tomorrow but doubt many are. 15 euro a ticket - Am I right in thinking that's an increase on last year? I thought it was ten last year for League matches.

Its a ridiculous price.......€20 on the day

And the boys up North are being robbed.....14stg or 19 stg....works out at €16.61 and €22.54

No wonder attendances are suffering

Travelling as well....not expecting much

I heard Mickeys interview.....hiding behind the S&C again

We should be staying up, not getting promoted........Westmeath and Clare at home, and Laois away........surely able to get min 4 and hopefully 6 from them

• Advertisement

Stephen Smith looks a bit lightweight for County Senior. He's talented, but against a physical team like Armagh he could find it tough.
    Pearse not involved this year. Not asked back?

1 player from Castlerahan on panel of 33. 2 from Ramor. The standard of County find was poor but a few more players from those clubs should probaly be involved

Advertisement