Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

rrs wrote: »
    He was dropped during the Championship. He came on and made the difference v Cavan Gaels in Semi, started the final. Dropped again in a ulster for going on the sauce.

Who's the manager?

He was injured for the replay win over Killygarry, and Keogan picked the same team for the semi final......he started the final having been listed as a sub. Strange considering there was always changes to the team from game to game.

Keogan also briefed BBC that he was injured for the Ulster game...when he was dropped....while also playing lads who missed the same training session, and, lads who came home from holidays the day before the Ulster match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

Conor Bradley gone from Ramor to Dunboyne, and Mackey gone to Mullinalaghta.
    While Cavan Gaels have Maloney Derham back after a few years away, and Gearoid McKiernan signed up.

The Gaels will probaly be favourites for Championship n

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

While Cavan Gaels have Maloney Derham back after a few years away, and Gearoid McKiernan signed up.

I don’t think Bradley will be a huge loss to Ramor going on last season’s form.

A few teams like Gowna and Killygarry have good young players coming up. I don’t think the Gaels have.

Very disappointed re Murray, both for him and as a supporter. He had a breakout year last year and had also solved our free taking problem.

Bradley had a great game v Gowna in the quarter final. Decent v Crosserlough. Quiet final

Murray was starting to show his best form, in his best position. He wasn't given a run in the forwards until Graham took over.

Bradley had a great game v Gowna in the quarter final. Decent v Crosserlough. Quiet final

Murray was starting to show his best form, in his best position. He wasn't given a run in the forwards until Graham took over.

Were you at those games? I’m going on what Ramor people told me - may be they have a bit of bitterness towards him after the move but I know the pair of bucks on We Are Cavan, who usually talk lads up, commented on a few occasions last year that he wasn’t playing near the level he was capable of.

• Advertisement

I was at the 3 games. Gowna couldn't handle him. They switched 2 or 3 players on him. His speed was causing a lot of hassle and I thought on that performance alone he'd be back on Cavan panel.
    The Co final was a poor game. He didn't stand out, only really James Brady in the forwards wss good.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Will Murray be back?

He could be. G McKiernan and Maloney Derham would probaly compensate his loss.

Crosserlough will probaly be without McVeety too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Yevon wrote: »
    From what I hear McVeety and Moynagh will be plying their trade stateside this summer.

Not being harsh, but was anyone really expecting them back (or Clarke for that matter) this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭celt262

Well Mcvetty said he would be back in March.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »

I didn’t get the vibe in his We are Cavan podcast that he had any strong intention to seek to return to the panel this year. Perhaps I missed that. He certainly suggested he would return at some stage if he was asked but needed a break. But he never gave a timeline and left it open ended.

Clarke on the other hand didn’t even broach the subject of playing again for Cavan.

celt262 wrote: »

Where did he say that? Any interview I’ve heard he said he didn’t know when he’d be back. He’s on a year long career break so that would take him up until September.

Re Clarke, a great servant but with all the media work he is doing you can see why an attitude change was needed for some. Mackey appears to be going down a similar route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Where did he say that? Any interview I’ve heard he said he didn’t know when he’d be back. He’s on a year long career break so that would take him up until September.

Re Clarke, a great servant but with all the media work he is doing you can see why an attitude change was needed for some. Mackey appears to be going down a similar route.

Near the bottom of the below it says he will return to county panel when he returns. Now I know it doesnt say March but I definitely heard March mentioned at some some stage. Or maybe I dreamt it !

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/gaa/dara-mcveety-cavan-417802

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Some lad from Meath I think. Used to be over Dunboyne.

Got this wrong. It's a fella from Monaghan called Glen O Reilly going by reports.

Another day, another article with the thoughts of Killian Clarke...

https://t.co/tcAIioHgMv?amp=1

You don't the likes of Martin Reilly, Gerry Smith, Ciaran Brady always in the media.
    Clarke is a bit like Givney when he was playing for Cavan, enjoys the limelight a bit too much..

Val Andrews got a rid of a few big names when Cavan were starting to blood the U21s, which would have included Clarke. Clarke stepped away himself, but might not have been a bad thing.

You don't the likes of Martin Reilly, Gerry Smith, Ciaran Brady always in the media.
    Clarke is a bit like Givney when he was playing for Cavan, enjoys the limelight a bit too much..

Val Andrews got a rid of a few big names when Cavan were starting to blood the U21s, which would have included Clarke. Clarke stepped away himself, but might not have been a bad thing.

I’m beginning to see why it isn’t a bad thing alright. Interesting that three of the lads who have drifted away are Clarke, McVeety & Mackey. All seem fond of the media limelight.

Team for tomorrow has one enforced change - Murray in for Meade. I’d be hoping for a few more changes. Stephen Smith, for example, shouldn’t be starting in my opinion. 2 games and two black cards isn’t good enough.

I would also have to question how you handle Gearoid and Martin. They aren’t playing well. I’ve heard the argument that you stick with your good players through bad form on numerous occasions though.

I’d agree with that re McKiernan. Play him, leave him on the 40 and put Smith and Galligan midfield.

I was saying for a couple of years before it happened that Mackey should be an impact sub and I think the same is coming for Reilly now. Get the best 20-25 minutes out of him at the end of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Laois v Cavan is OFF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Laois v Cavan is OFF!

That might allow for some of the injured Cavan players an opportunity of a few extra days to recover, as the Laois game is a very big one.

Laois v Cavan is OFF!

Bum! Just saw thought, was looking forward to it all week. On the plus side would be good to have Mc Loughlin or Madden back

• Advertisement

quidel wrote: »
    That might allow for some of the injured Cavan players an opportunity of a few extra days to recover, as the Laois game is a very big one.

Exactly what I thought but also leaves us playing 5 games in six weeks now.

It’s a huge advantage for Armagh and any other county that manages to get through their game this weekend.

Westmeath v Fermanagh going ahead and Roscommon v Clare.

It gives Cavan a chance to get players back from injury. Probaly the same for Laois, Colm Begley currently injured.
    More pressure with 5 games in 6 weeks, but can get momentum that way too.

Westmeath v Fermanagh going ahead and Roscommon v Clare.

It gives Cavan a chance to get players back from injury. Probaly the same for Laois, Colm Begley currently injured.
    More pressure with 5 games in 6 weeks, but can get momentum that way too.

Wins for Westmeath and Roscommon. Seems most games are going to the home side in matches which is unfortunate for us having only 3 home games yet again.

Westmeath must be kicking themselves for losing to us last weekend now. They’d be in a very commanding position if they’d held out.

I’m beginning to see why it isn’t a bad thing alright. Interesting that three of the lads who have drifted away are Clarke, McVeety & Mackey. All seem fond of the media limelight.

Team for tomorrow has one enforced change - Murray in for Meade. I’d be hoping for a few more changes. Stephen Smith, for example, shouldn’t be starting in my opinion. 2 games and two black cards isn’t good enough.

I would also have to question how you handle Gearoid and Martin. They aren’t playing well. I’ve heard the argument that you stick with your good players through bad form on numerous occasions though.

I’d agree with that re McKiernan. Play him, leave him on the 40 and put Smith and Galligan midfield.

I was saying for a couple of years before it happened that Mackey should be an impact sub and I think the same is coming for Reilly now. Get the best 20-25 minutes out of him at the end of the game.

Can you really tar them all with the same brush.......2 are mid to late 20s, the other is almost 33, playing for Cavan at all age levels? Well I suppose you can....but you shouldnt

Yevon wrote: »
    To be fair to McVeety he only did two interviews that I can recall (one of those with WeAreCavan) and then went away travelling. Not sure if i'd qualify that as being fond of the limelight.

I agree, even as captain he never sought the limelight and has always presented a “team first” approach.

He care across extremely well in his interview after deciding to travel. Someone who had poured their heart into football and who had fallen out of love with it.

And was hoping a real break would rekindle that love. He’s a magnificent player and a real leader on the field so from a Cavan perspective let’s hope he comes back refreshed with an appetite for inter county football in 2021.

Can you really tar them all with the same brush.......2 are mid to late 20s, the other is almost 33, playing for Cavan at all age levels? Well I suppose you can....but you shouldnt

Why shouldn’t I? I admit the lads have given their all for Cavan but, it’s clear from what those who have left so far have said, and from last year’s antics (piss ups after losing League games, a party bus after the Ulster final, players being dropped by their clubs for discipline reasons, seeking attention on social media) that a change in attitude was needed.

Clarke himself has said that and some of the senior players, two of whom mentioned are former captains, have to shoulder some of the blame. They should lead by example.

Anyway, I’d prefer to talk about those who are there rather than those who aren’t.

Let’s hope we get the Westmeath second half and not the first half this weekend.

Why shouldn’t I? I admit the lads have given their all for Cavan but, it’s clear from what those who have left so far have said, and from last year’s antics (piss ups after losing League games, a party bus after the Ulster final, players being dropped by their clubs for discipline reasons, seeking attention on social media) that a change in attitude was needed.

Clarke himself has said that and some of the senior players, two of whom mentioned are former captains, have to shoulder some of the blame. They should lead by example.

Anyway, I’d prefer to talk about those who are there rather than those who aren’t.

Let’s hope we get the Westmeath second half and not the first half this weekend.

Well, 2 are in the prime of their GAA careers, and the lad whos 33 isnt....in fact there are only a handful playing intercounty at that stage......playing for Cavan since he was 15.....Id be giving him a break

Well, 2 are in the prime of their GAA careers, and the lad whos 33 isnt....in fact there are only a handful playing intercounty at that stage......playing for Cavan since he was 15.....Id be giving him a break

I think you’re being a bit touchy. I just think all three lads should give the media work a break. If they want to take a year out than just do that. There’s no need to pop up discussing it anywhere and everywhere.

Anyway, I already tried to move this onto what we should be discussing - the lads still in Cavan jerseys.

It’s a pity the game has been moved from 1 back 2 on Sunday. Would have been good to have been leaving Portlaoise around 3 instead of 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Back to football.

Anyone know if any of the injured lads are fit for Sunday?

• Advertisement

How are Louth fixed for Offaly?

Advertisement