Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

rrs wrote: »
    How are Louth fixed for Offaly?

We probably have to beat Offaly to avoid the drop. No points from two outings.
    I don’t believe we’ll beat them but hoping we give them a good run. Although we often produce when really up against it. We are weak though.
    Maybe storm Denis will hit the weekend games and prolong the agony.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

If Portlaoise isn't playable tomorrow is there a plan B?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

tanko wrote: »
    If Portlaoise isn't playable tomorrow is there a plan B?

Pints in Portlaoise?

Oh, you meant the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

It's seems like its rained more this weekend then last week. It was more wind last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

It's seems like its rained more this weekend then last week. It was more wind last week.

Well last week it was apparently waterlogged. If it isn’t played, it leaves both counties in a mess because they’ll be expected to play five games in five weeks.

• Advertisement

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Well last week it was apparently waterlogged. If it isn’t played, it leaves both counties in a mess because they’ll be expected to play five games in five weeks.

Wonder when a decision will be made? Don’t think it’s as bad as last week to be honest

Edit: just seen on the Laois twitter page that there’s a pitch inspection for 9am. Fingers crossed.

It rained practically all day yesterday. It wasn't like that last Saturday until the evening time

Pitch is playable, passed the inspection.

See yis at 2pm :)

Pitch is playable, passed the inspection.

See yis at 2pm :)

Seems a good bit drier here today. Just the odd heavy shower but nothing too prolonged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

With so few games on today, particularly football can we expect a decent highlights package from Portlaoise tonight on Allianz League Sunday?

• Advertisement

quidel wrote: »
    With so few games on today, particularly football can we expect a decent highlights package from Portlaoise tonight on Allianz League Sunday?

I know Laois aren’t great but by Jaysus that was a savage performance. Massive shifts put in, some hard hard work but also some brilliant performances.

Conditions especially in the first half were dreadful but we played some really good football

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Sounded like a great performance on the radio, you can only beat what's in front of you. They never took their foot of the pedal til the very end, great to see. Joint top now, points deficit wiped out also.
    Hopefully they can keep it going now.

Yevon wrote: »
    A victory built on hard work. Great honesty shown by the players all across the field. Hard to pick out anyone who didn't have a good game to be honest.
    Martin Reilly was the key, just a savage performance from an exceptional athlete. Looked like he was running on astroturf while the rest slogged through the mud.
    James Smith and Oisin Pierson gave a very solid performance inside. Gerry Smith scored 3 massive points but turned over the ball several times and conceded a penalty. Thomas Galligan showed his prowess bursting forward. Holla, Faulkner and Gunnar looked rock solid. Murray and Oisin Kiernan used their pace to good effect.

Now.. when were Fermanagh last beaten in Brewster?

I didn’t make the game but interesting listening to Mickey Hannon that he felt Cavan were excellent when playing without the call but not so good with it.

Great to see Oisin Pierson showing well and going for it. A bit of cockiness is what’s needed but I heard he worked hard too.

Fermanagh will not be easy at the weekend. They’ll be well rested and they will know how huge their home games are.

I didn’t make the game but interesting listening to Mickey Hannon that he felt Cavan were excellent when playing without the call but not so good with it.

Great to see Oisin Pierson showing well and going for it. A bit of cockiness is what’s needed but I heard he worked hard too.

Fermanagh will not be easy at the weekend. They’ll be well rested and they will know how huge their home games are.

I really like Mickey Hannon but he’s being unduly harsh. The conditions were atrocious and despite that there we managed a fair few decent scores (1-6 from play in the first half).

Was clear from the first 10 minutes that we were in far better shape conditioning wise but were also clearly far more up for it than Laois.

Really encouraging thing was that we shipped a very, very sloppy 1-1 in the space of a minute but rather than allow that to sway momentum the lads just kicked on. Good sign. Laois goal aside, Martin Reilly was flawless but all 19 players put shifts in.

Really encouraging to see Gerry Smith showing his attacking prowess. 3 from play in the first half and two were brilliant long range (wind assisted scores).

Any updates on players returning from injury to strengthen Cavan’s team for the busy rounds of games ahead?
    Encouraging to hear of the work rate and attitude in such poor conditions on Sunday. Every bit of that will certainly be needed Saturday evening in Brewster Park.

Any updates on players returning from injury to strengthen Cavan’s team for the busy rounds of games ahead?
    Encouraging to hear of the work rate and attitude in such poor conditions on Sunday. Every bit of that will certainly be needed Saturday evening in Brewster Park.

Conor Madden came on as a second half sub and looked lively enough.

Any video highlights anywhere of the CN v Laois game?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Any video highlights anywhere of the CN v Laois game?

On tg4 player

Yevon wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'd fully agree with Hannon there, I can't overstate how bad conditions were. To the extent that the ball was being whipped by the wind as players soloed the ball. I thought our support of the man with the ball was excellent but in particular coming out of defence with Martin Reilly and Faulkner looking extremely composed despite the conditions. And it was a day for turnovers and defenders. Personally I was happy with how we played with the ball given the weather.

It was a really professional performance and management deserve credit for that. The players had obviously been told to shoot on sight with the ferocious wind in the first half and Gerry and Pierson did just that and notched 6 from play between them.
    Discipline was very good too, at one stage Thomas Galligan was roaring at the ref because he had been tripped (ended up in a black card for Laois) and he was manhandled away and chastised by another Cavan player.
    With the wind and heavy ground putting Martin Reilly in the defence was the foundation for winning the game. Exceptional handling and ability to cover ground meant we avoided trouble coming out of our defence (barring a bad minute that resulted in 1-1), something Laois struggled badly with.

Ha! Looks like we’re on the same page in terms of our analysis

Another win would likely secure survival. I don't think Cavan will be settling for that. After the Armagh game they would have, with the absentees, but there is lots of mediocre teams in the Division.
    Kildare are under pressure, another defeat and their promotion hopes will be over.

Fermanagh in Brewster will be tricky but beatable. Their free taking was suppose to be poor against Westmeath. Quigley not involved this year and Corrigan not been involved m

• Advertisement

Another win would likely secure survival. I don't think Cavan will be settling for that. After the Armagh game they would have, with the absentees, but there is lots of mediocre teams in the Division.
    Kildare are under pressure, another defeat and their promotion hopes will be over.

Fermanagh in Brewster will be tricky but beatable. Their free taking was suppose to be poor against Westmeath. Quigley not involved this year and Corrigan not been involved m

I don't know if you could describe any team in Division 2 as ''mediocre''. Teams are there on merit and Armagh, Kildare and Roscommon are good teams.

We all know what Fermanagh will bring to the table - putrid football. I saw them last year against Meath in Navan. It was terrible stuff. 15 men behind the ball, try to hit you on the break and get a free for Quigley to put over. It made the Black Death look like free flowing football!

They don't have Quigley this year but I wouldn't expect much change. Our challenge is breaking them down and its good to see lads like Smith and Pierson scoring from distance because that will be needed in Brewster.

There is no stellar team .Donegal were that last year in Division 2.. Armagh would probaly be the strongest team in the Division but lost by 6 to Laois. I watched Kildare against Armagh and they were very poor. They will improve but they are in Division 2 for a reason.
    Kildare had a poor year last year League and Championship, so they have a point to prove.

Roscommon are Connacht champions but without a lot of presently. They are a bit like Armagh, good forwards, with a shakey defence.

What way did Cavan line out last week lads? I've seen a full back line of Brady, Brady and Faulkner mentioned - did Ciaran Brady really play in the full back line?
    Conroy was named corner back, where did he play? From what I've seen, back six were C. Brady, Faulker, K. Brady, G Smith, M. Reilly, O. Kiernan - where did everyone else line out?

What way did Cavan line out last week lads? I've seen a full back line of Brady, Brady and Faulkner mentioned - did Ciaran Brady really play in the full back line?
    Conroy was named corner back, where did he play? From what I've seen, back six were C. Brady, Faulker, K. Brady, G Smith, M. Reilly, O. Kiernan - where did everyone else line out?

In earlier posts we all (rightly) praised the work rate and application of the lads but a massive tip of the hat should go to management for how they got it tactically.

Conroy lined out at the middle with Galligan, with McKiernan and Magee more or less as auxiliary midfielders meant that we had 4 big men across the middle with the breeze which meant we could press and also win the ball if Laois went long.

Martin Reilly was centre half back and ran the show. If we have as poor conditions tomorrow, definitely worth having him there again to pull the strings. Unlike the Westmeath game, James Smith did play as a full forward. Looked like the Holla played as a sweeper but interchanged fairly much with Martin Reilly. I see Meade is listed to come back in but wouldn’t be surprised to see Martin Reilly back to do a similar job in Brewster.

In earlier posts we all (rightly) praised the work rate and application of the lads but a massive tip of the hat should go to management for how they got it tactically.

Conroy lined out at the middle with Galligan, with McKiernan and Magee more or less as auxiliary midfielders meant that we had 4 big men across the middle with the breeze which meant we could press and also win the ball if Laois went long.

Martin Reilly was centre half back and ran the show. If we have as poor conditions tomorrow, definitely worth having him there again to pull the strings. Unlike the Westmeath game, James Smith did play as a full forward. Looked like the Holla played as a sweeper but interchanged fairly much with Martin Reilly. I see Meade is listed to come back in but wouldn’t be surprised to see Martin Reilly back to do a similar job in Brewster.

Conroy named there again tomorrow. Steamer has to take a lot of credit for reinventing him at his club as a centre half back when McGleenan had discarded him from the county panel. He has really bulked up and brought strength into his game.

No Conor Smith in the squad again tomorrow. Rushing him into that Armagh game is looking like a big error now.

Ryan Connolly might be vital tomorrow. Team is performing well but I’d like to see a bit more of him.

No Conor Smith in the squad again tomorrow. Rushing him into that Armagh game is looking like a big error now

I agree. But we’ve done okay since the Armagh game, so not all doom and gloom!!!

Game on, pitch passed inspection. See yis later!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Great win, fair play to them. Hugely transformed since the Armagh game.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭benjy1000

Great win.
    Now Beat Clare & Roscommon at home & will be enough for promotion.
    Fair play to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Great win
    Nice to put a run together hopefully beat Clare and kildare and get back up

Advertisement