Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

cavan4sam wrote: »
    dunne has come of age , a fine footballer getting his rewards but make no mistake he wont be the match winner against fermanagh as he will be marked a lot closer and probably battered around but i've every confidence that the rest of the lads will step up to the plate

midfield is my only major concern but lets hope the lads just had an off day

also a great spirited win by the minors looks to be a few really talented lads coming through

Damien Reilly isn't a midfielder. I can only think he started there because we had nobody else. I had expected to see Clarke move out to midfield, which did happen second half, but Hyland must have had his reasons for not doing it first half.

Reilly is a fine half back but he was lucky to stay on the pitch on Sunday. Had Jamie Clarke not already thrown a punch, Reilly could have been off the field after the small handbags. I thought he would have learned his lesson from the Fermanagh league game when he was off before ten minutes. Canavan is a shrewd manager and he'll be looking at that thinking this fella is a hot head that we could work on getting sent off.

You're right about Dunne though. In the league he was double marked and he will be again. I wouldn't be surprised to see Keating double marked also so the quick ball can't go into him. Fermanagh know only two well about him - he was barely on the field against them and they had the jersey ripped off him and a punch thrown.

Fermanagh are going to pack the defence as well so we'll need lads who can kick scores from long range. Gearoid McKiernan would have been a real asset in that regard to start on the 40. I still think Martin Reilly and Barry Reilly could be huge assets to come in. Two men more than capable of kicking long range scores. I would also hope that Mossie Corr will be back for midfield to release Reilly back into the half back line, if he can control that temper that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

Lemlin wrote: »
    Damien Reilly isn't a midfielder. I can only think he started there because we had nobody else. I had expected to see Clarke move out to midfield, which did happen second half, but Hyland must have had his reasons for not doing it first half.

Reilly is a fine half back but he was lucky to stay on the pitch on Sunday. Had Jamie Clarke not already thrown a punch, Reilly could have been off the field after the small handbags. I thought he would have learned his lesson from the Fermanagh league game when he was off before ten minutes. Canavan is a shrewd manager and he'll be looking at that thinking this fella is a hot head that we could work on getting sent off.

You're right about Dunne though. In the league he was double marked and he will be again. I wouldn't be surprised to see Keating double marked also so the quick ball can't go into him. Fermanagh know only two well about him - he was barely on the field against them and they had the jersey ripped off him and a punch thrown.

Fermanagh are going to pack the defence as well so we'll need lads who can kick scores from long range. Gearoid McKiernan would have been a real asset in that regard to start on the 40. I still think Martin Reilly and Barry Reilly could be huge assets to come in. Two men more than capable of kicking long range scores. I would also hope that Mossie Corr will be back for midfield to release Reilly back into the half back line, if he can control that temper that is.

double mark keating and dunne? thats 2 extra men out the field for cavan - happy days. Down tried that in the U21 semi final this year and look where it got them. Cavan just need to be patient, dont shoot from silly positions and they should pull through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

"Sense prevail and refix for Breffni.." - show me howthat makes any sense!!
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    I posted on here on a few months back that Dunne had more natural ability than Seanie Johnston but that was seen as sour grapes by some. Yesterday Dunne showed the ability he has but it could have been so different after a shaky start. He needs to show this year than he is Cavan's full forward for the future - hopefully he keeps the confidence up because when he is in the mood he can destroy teams. Keating too has all the ability but sometimes needs to look for a team mate when near in to goal - he should have looked up yesterday for his goal chance as Reilly had a tap in if he had given the pass.

Can't believe the nonsense I heard today that the game could still be played in Brewster - hopefully sense will prevail and the game will be refixed for either Breffni or Clones.

eamonpk wrote: »

Because the G8 summit is going to make it very hard to get in and out of Enniskillen.

I think Clones would be a fair location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Would be very unfair to fix it for Breffini. It depends on what the traffic restrictions are like in Enniskillen is like because it's not a case of the summit being in the town itself. Certainly wouldn't call it 'nonsense' that they're looking to see if they can host what should be a home game for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Want to quote what fully what I said. It is ridiculous to fix the game for Enniskillen especially where Brewster is located when the place will essentially be in lockdown. I'm not sure if Clones is available that weekend - if its not then surely Breffni is an option. It was already offered by the Cavan County Board for the game prior to the outcome of the Cavan - Armagh game. I would imagine that the police won't allow the game to go ahead in Brewster but the Ulster Council being the dinosaurs they are won't take a proactive approach.

To be brutually honest about it Brewster is a happier hunting ground for Cavan and in normal circumstances would be delighted to be heading to "our second home" but I don't really want to spend a full day getting into and out of a football match when there are other options available..

Syferus wrote: »
    Would be very unfair to fix it for Breffini. It depends on what the traffic restrictions are like in Enniskillen is like because it's not a case of the summit being in the town itself. Certainly wouldn't call it 'nonsense' that they're looking to see if they can host what should be a home game for them.

The main road into Enniskillen will be restricted access given the 8 most powerful leaders in the world will be there around the time off the game. This is not about home advantage or Cavan wanting any unfair advantage. This is about the Ulster Council being obstinate backward cretins who won't rearrange a GAA match for anybody!! Brewster is not the easiest ground to get too at the best off times but this will be a nightmare and the match won't be accessible for most people - it's a ridiculous situation...

Nail on the head there Lemlin - the guy is a walking liability - I don't like singling out any of the lads for criticism but anytime I've seen him he's seconds away from a red card and he's already lost it against Fermanagh so they will target him. Hyland has made a lot of good calls as manger but making him vice-captain doesn't seem to have worked either - he was very lucky to stay on the field on Sunday imho.

Syferus wrote: »

Are you aware that some employers are making alternative arrangements for staff based in Enniskillen around the time of the G8? I know of one employer that has staff going to their Cavan branch where possible and another two that have staff going to Omagh.

Now if employers are already worrying about small numbers of employees getting in and out of Enniskillen, how do the Ulster Council expect 10,000+ people to get in for a match?

I agree it would be unfair to fix it for Breffni but I think Clones is a fair compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I agree Clones is the best compromise and the most likely venue. All I'm saying is it'd be a poor show by Fermanagh not to explore what restrictions would be placed on them hosting it at home. I'd have been hopping if I was a Fermanagh fan and they just dismissed it out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Anyone who starts with a statement "Sense prevail and refix for Breffni.." has no sense - and certainly no sense of fair play - the credibility of anthing that follows is doubtful - End of story

Anyone who starts with a statement "Sense prevail and refix for Breffni.." has no sense - and certainly no sense of fair play - the credibility of anthing that follows is doubtful - End of story

I presume you're a Fermanagh follower. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on where you think the game should occur?

It's easy to criticise Tom Joad's opinion but not give your own.

I'd point out Cavan have no problem playing in Brewster. It holds many happy memories for us over the past 3 or 4 years. Sense has to prevail though in that supporters need to be able to get in and out of the game.

As I said above, if employers are already getting worried about small numbers of employees getting in and out of the location, how can the Ulster council expect 10,000 or so supporters to get in and out.

Once again with the with the selective quoting - read the whole sentence again. Not sure what your issue is or if you have anything to add to the discussion other than selectively quoting what I have posted.

1. The main driver behind fixing the match in Brewster Park is the Ulster Council -Fermanagh supporters are going to be as discommoded by the match being in Brewster as Cavan supporters. This is not about fair play its about giving supporters a fair chance to attend a game that is fixed for a town is in lockdown because of the G8. It is an uprecedented situation.

2. As I have said already, Breffni would only come into play if Clones was not available - but you seem to have no interest in reading my posts in context do you? Breffni was already offered to Fermanagh for the game before the Cavan/ Armagh game no matter what the result was.

3. Anyone that has any knowledge of the two teams will know that while it may be an unusual situation Breffni has no advantage to Cavan against Fermanagh. Cavan's record in Brewster park is nothing short of phenomenal and we have won 3 Ulster titles there and beat Fermanagh there in the qualifiers last year. Similarly Fermanagh actually have a better record at Breffni.

4. Any Fermanagh supporters I have talked to are quite happy to travel to Breffni or Clones, including people involved in the County Board.

5. The PSNI or whatever powers that be will take this decision away from the Ulster Council in any event as they simply won't let this game happen in Brewster. Maybe that's what they want but to represent this as Cavan trying to get an unfair advantage is completely ridiculous - this is not a Cavan/Fermanagh issue - its a being able to attend a game issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭celt262

I believe that it will still be a problem for Fermanagh supporters to get to even if the game is played in Clones or Cavan.

Ulster Council are just been stubborn here and i hope they wise up and move the game to a different date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

celt262 wrote: »
    I believe that it will still be a problem for Fermanagh supporters to get to even if the game is played in Clones or Cavan.

Ulster Council are just been stubborn here and i hope they wise up and move the game to a different date.

Moving the date is the most sensible option IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The G8 Summit should be moved out of Enniskillen until after the match.
    The cheek of them clashing with our games :pac:

The G8 Summit should be moved out of Enniskillen until after the match.
    The cheek of them clashing with our games :pac:

Jaysus the Ulster Council are now posting here :pac:

Re the date- this would obviously be the most sensible solution but is this linked to TV coverage, other free dates in the calendar etc??

Moving the date is the most sensible option IMO

The Ulster Council won't do that. There are games fixed for every weekend and they won't want two games clashing on the same weekend.

The game has to be played by then as the semi final between Cavan/Fermanagh and Monaghan/Antrim is scheduled for two weeks later.

Enniskillen is pretty much tightening up on security already from what I hear so its going to be hard to get access in and out for quite a while, not just that weekend.

There's also the TV schedule to accomodate. The game is down to be shown live on RTE.

Re the date- this would obviously be the most sensible solution but is this linked to TV coverage, other free dates in the calendar etc??

They wouldn't play it on a Sunday when another Ulster game is on so it would have to be a Saturday evening. It shouldn't be about tv anyway it should be about people able to get to game in peace and that includes players.

• Advertisement

it should be about people able to get to game in peace and that includes players.

Couldn't agree more. I wonder what will happen if the police pull the game??

Is Irvinestown not an option?
    They used to play all their big games there and they'd still have home advantage.

They used to play all their big games there and they'd still have home advantage.

And how would you get there?

And how would you get there?

I thought you could get around Enniskillen easily enough but maybe not. Haven't been there in awhile.

I thought you could get around Enniskillen easily enough but maybe not. Haven't been there in awhile.

You wont get anywhere inside Fermanagh easily on them few days.

There will be check points on the Cavan side of the border also.

Ah Tayto, are you still following the career of Val Andrews with such interest?

Have to say he has to take some plaudits for the highly committed, hard working panel we now have. He made the tough decisions two years ago and took all the flak.

Now the benefits of him making those decisions is coming to fruition.

Ah Tayto, are you still following the career of Val Andrews with such interest?

Have to say he has to take some plaudits for the highly committed, hard working panel we now have. He made the tough decisions two years ago and took all the flak.

Now the benefits of him making those decisions is coming to fruition.

I think they improved after he left to be honest. No 2 camps now it seems :D
    I was actually in Tullamore supporting your U 21's and at a League game as well with my Cavan friends.

I think they improved after he left to be honest. No 2 camps now it seems :D
    I was actually in Tullamore supporting your U 21's and at a League game as well with my Cavan friends.

I agree they did improve. I always said Terry was the man for the job but in fairness Val took alot of the criticism ahead of him for making decisions that had to be made.

Cian Mackey for example. Dropped off the panel by Andrews to give him a kick in the arse and is now playing the best football he's ever played for the county.

I agree they did improve. I always said Terry was the man for the job but in fairness Val took alot of the criticism ahead of him for making decisions that had to be made.

Cian Mackey for example. Dropped off the panel by Andrews to give him a kick in the arse and is now playing the best football he's ever played for the county.

Afraid you're on your own there.
    Mc Cutcheon, Reilly, Mackey and Clarke (maybe more)all returned only when Andrews left. The players had a meeting to get rid of VA.
    In fairness to Hyland he seems to have seen the error of Andrew's way and responded when the County Board got rid of him.
    A much happier panel now with a plan they all bought into according to my sources. They can now see the goals that were set and are focusing on achieving them. They could see nothing under Val. That's why he was evicted from the Big Brother household.

Anyway that's all water under the bridge now and I wish Cavan all the best.

Mc Cutcheon, Reilly, Mackey and Clarke (maybe more)all returned only when Andrews left. The players had a meeting to get rid of VA.
    In fairness to Hyland he seems to have seen the error of Andrew's way and responded when the County Board got rid of him.
    A much happier panel now with a plan they all bought into according to my sources. They can now see the goals that were set and are focusing on achieving them. They could see nothing under Val. That's why he was evicted from the Big Brother household.

What is it about today - its like groundhog day with the old chestnuts being brought out about Cavan football, first Jelly and now Val. Without resurecting that whole debate as we will never agree on that point Tayto about Val. I can't let you away with the statement in bold - that is simply not true and the county board admitted that they were wrong to say that it happened. So for once and for all - the players did not have a meeting to get rid of Val Andrews.

• Advertisement

Its like Groundhog day here today between Jelly and Val. We all know your views on Val Tayto and we've been here before so not going there again.

But not letting the bit in bold go - that is simply put not true - the players did not have a meeting to get rid off Val Andrews - that was a county board invention and they apologised to the Captain Podge Reilly for saying it was the case.

Whatever about any vendettas against Andrews, that is simply not true and anyone close to the county team will acknowledge the work done by Val - who by the way was very close to Terry Hyland.

What is it about today - its like groundhog day with the old chestnuts being brought out about Cavan football, first Jelly and now Val. Without resurecting that whole debate as we will never agree on that point Tayto about Val. I can't let you away with the statement in bold - that is simply not true and the county board admitted that they were wrong to say that it happened. So for once and for all - the players did not have a meeting to get rid of Val Andrews.

My sources, some close to the action, would not agree with you Tom regardless of what the Cavan CB said.

Why do you think Val went then if he was doing such a great job?

PS

I didn't bring the matter up again either.

My sources, some close to the action, would not agree with you Tom regardless of what the Cavan CB said.

PS

I didn't bring the matter up again either.

Well they don't know feck all.

Well they don't know feck all.

They actually do.

Look it I'm not going to reenter this my mate, your mate with you again but simple fact is that the players did not vote Val Andrews out. The county board got rid of Andrews - that's why he went.

You freely admitted last year that you had a grudge against Val and I'm not going to change your mind on Val this year anymore than I could last year but you are factually incorrect when you say the players voted to get rid of Val Andrews - they didn't and county chairman Tom Reilly acknowledged this publicly. End off

They actually do.

Of course you think they do :rolleyes:

Look it I'm not going to reenter this my mate, your mate with you again but simple fact is that the players did not vote Val Andrews out. The county board got rid of Andrews - that's why he went.

You freely admitted last year that you had a grudge against Val and I'm not going to change your mind on Val this year anymore than I could last year but you are factually incorrect when you say the players voted to get rid of Val Andrews - they didn't and county chairman Tom Reilly acknowledged this publicly. End off

I know exactly what happened and it's not that.

But there is no need to go over it all again anyway as I said earlier.
    Val was not up to it and was got rid of which was always my main point. Enough said.

I know exactly what happened and it's not that.

But there is no need to go over it all again anyway as I said earlier.
    Val was not up to it and was got rid of which was always my main point. Enough said.

Val resigned. There was no vote.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/gaelicfootball/articles/2012/04/18/4010104-exclusive-leak-cost-val-his-job/

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2012/04/13/4010016-board-insists-no-vote-was-taken-by-players/

Like I said, he has to get credit for making the decisions which paved the way for the hard working panel we have now.

Whether or not you appreciate that is up to you. I'd suggest that you stop posting downright lies though.

Val resigned. There was no vote.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/gaelicfootball/articles/2012/04/18/4010104-exclusive-leak-cost-val-his-job/

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2012/04/13/4010016-board-insists-no-vote-was-taken-by-players/

Like I said, he has to get credit for making the decisions which paved the way for the hard working panel we have now.

Whether or not you appreciate that is up to you. I'd suggest that you stop posting downright lies though.

No lies posted at all unless the information I got was wrong which I seriously doubt. But even allowing for that there are still a lot of holes in the story.The "official" statement from the County Board does not state why the players met if every member of the panel were happy and content with his running of the team and panel.
    Even if they didn't take a vote why do you think they met?
    Were they happy with things and decided just to meet for the craic?
    What was the purpose of the meeting if things were honky dory?

I would love to hear your explanation seeing as you brought the whole thing up again.

• Advertisement

No lies posted at all unless the information I got was wrong which I seriously doubt. But even allowing for that there are still a lot of holes in the story.The "official" statement from the County Board does not state why the players met if every member of the panel were happy and content with his running of the team and panel.

I would love to hear your explanation seeing as you brought the whole thing up again.

Here's a full article about the meeting and why it took place:

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2012/04/19/4010111-what-a-crazy-game-this-isprintprintprintprint

It boils down to the players and probably the CB being unhappy with Val.
    Even from what you have posted there is uncertainty -

"As absurd as it sounds, much of the problem appears to centre on the definition of what constitutes a vote. The captain won't say what went on at the meeting but it can reasonably be assumed that the general mood was that the majority of players were unhappy with the management."

Either way my original post stated that Val would not be good for Cavan just as he was not good for Louth. That has been established by the event.

Terry Hyland re-established the dropped players and got things moving forward again.

Time to move on Lemlin. Val has gone and Cavan are moving in the right direction thankfully.

It boils down to the players and probably the CB being unhappy with Val.
    Even from what you have posted there is uncertainty -

"As absurd as it sounds, much of the problem appears to centre on the definition of what constitutes a vote. The captain won't say what went on at the meeting but it can reasonably be assumed that the general mood was that the majority of players were unhappy with the management."

Either way my original post stated that Val would not be good for Cavan just as he was not good for Louth. That has been established by the event.

Terry Hyland re-established the dropped players and got things moving forward again.

Time to move on Lemlin. Val has gone and Cavan are moving in the right direction thankfully.

What dropped players has he reestablished then? You listed four above - Mackey, Reilly, McCutcheon and Clarke.

Only one of those was dropped. One left because of work commitments. One left because he felt he wasn't getting enough playing time. The last left because he was asked to play out of position.

The five high profile players dropped by Val were McKeever, Mackey, Johnston, Dermot Sheridan and Lyng.

Only one of those has been brought in by Terry and even that was on condition that he mended his ways.

What dropped players had he reestablished then? You listed four above - Mackey, Reilly, McCutcheon and Clarke.

Only one of those was dropped. One left because of work commitments. One left because he felt he wasn't getting enough playing time. The last left because he was asked to play out of position.

The five high profile players dropped by Val were McKeever, Mackey, Johnston, Dermot Sheridan and Lyng.

Only one of those has been brought in by Terry and even that was on condition that he mended his ways.

http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=157687

Now maybe you would answer some of the questions asked earlier.

http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=157687

Now maybe you would answer some of the questions asked earlier.

What's the relevance of the article?

James Reilly played under Andrews in the league last year. He was reestablished long before Val went.

Of the other players, only Mackey is back in the panel now. So you're disproving my point by posting a link to an article which backs up what I said?

Whatever questions you have, please raise them again and I will answer. I would have thought the article about the meeting answered your queries on it.

• Advertisement

The article answered those:

"They had just delivered their worst performance of the season when they most required their best one, shipping four goals - and it could have been six or seven - against an Antrim team who were, to paraphrase the old Second World War mantra, down the table, down on personnel, down on motivation and down here.
    Things, as they say around these parts, just weren't good. Arms linked, together in the drizzle, someone suggested a meeting to address the problems, a place to clear the air and allow a fresh start. A good idea, to be sure."

The article answered those:

"They had just delivered their worst performance of the season when they most required their best one, shipping four goals - and it could have been six or seven - against an Antrim team who were, to paraphrase the old Second World War mantra, down the table, down on personnel, down on motivation and down here.
    Things, as they say around these parts, just weren't good. Arms linked, together in the drizzle, someone suggested a meeting to address the problems, a place to clear the air and allow a fresh start. A good idea, to be sure."

So they were not happy with Val and how he was managing them.
    Thought so. That was the purpose of my original post.
    Same happened here in Louth. I knew it would happen in Cavan too.

So they were not happy with Val and how he was managing them.
    Thought so. That was the purpose of my original post.
    Same happened here in Louth. I knew it would happen in Cavan too.

It appears so:

"Was there a vote or show of hands taken? No - that much appears certain. Padraic O'Reilly had repeatedly stressed that the players weren't there to shaft the manager and had no power to do so. There was plenty of discussion about various aspects of the set-up, the general opinion was ascertained and, we're told, someone made the point that it appeared that the majority in the room were unhappy with the status quo. That much is not crystal clear because the captain, as is his right, pledged not to reveal what was said."

I have to reiterate my original point though that Val deserves great credit for making the hard decisions and taking great criticism for cutting players that needed to be dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Very late to the party here I know, but just wanted to say well done to Cavan at the weekend. Great to see them winning a game in Ulster and really a great lift at the Senior ranks having done some fantastic stuff in the Ulster u21 championships in the last three years.

Hadn't a chance to watch the games last weekend, and while I know there's many people talking about Martin Dunne getting all the space in the world it still takes a lot of bottle to take the scores and 8 points from play is an incredible return really especially on his debut, and one of his second half points off his right from a tight angle was a really classy score. Ye seem to be on the better side of the draw as well, and with Jack Brady coming back into the fold as well it's onwards and upwards hopefully.

I always find it a great feeling winning championship games, I'm sure ye enjoyed last Sunday. Fairplay lads.

Really don't know what your agenda is dragging all this up again tayto apart from your obvious dislike of Val Andrews for whatever reasons but I will put it simply for you - your mates are clowns who don't have a clue.

Val Andrews is gone from the Cavan set-up and he has acknowledged that things didn't work out here from him and I'm sure that is a great disappointment to him - he came back for a second spell in charge which took great guts. Val was respected by the vast majority of the players and was known as someone who called a spade a spade. Sometimes in jobs things don't work out - doesn't make the person "not up to it" - show some respect. The vast majority of true Cavan supporters will acknowledge the much needed thankless work done by Val which made life an awful lot easier for Terry Hyland (who you are conviently forgetting worked very closely with Val).

As to the 6 players who were "dropped" by Val, only one is back in the set-up and he's playing the football of his life!! Speaks volumes about the guy and semms Val got it spot on that the lad needed a kick up the hole if he wanted to fulfil his potential. I'm not going to slag off any of the other on an internet forum but some had commitments outside of football and some didn't have the dedication it takes to be an intercounty footballers - simple as. The fact that 5 of the 6 are outside the county team now speaks volumes and blows your argument up.

And by the way you brought this up - no-one else - I have no wish to re debate the issue with you but you have been told by 3 Cavan supporters here that your mates are talking crap - accept it and move on - maybe set up a Louth football thread and how rosy life has been since Val left.

• Advertisement
Advertisement