Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Dave McIntyre picked:

Catherina McKiernan
    Paul the Gunner
    John Joe
    Mick Higgins

Paul Fitz:
    Catherina
    Gunner
    Hughie O Reilly
    Leona Maguire

Rule was McIntyre picked 4, and Fitz could replace 1 of those with one of his own

He replaced John Joe with Leona Maguire :eek:

Scandalous call IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭celt262

Dave McIntyre picked:

Catherina McKiernan
    Paul the Gunner
    John Joe
    Mick Higgins

Paul Fitz:
    Catherina
    Gunner
    Hughie O Reilly
    Leona Maguire

Rule was McIntyre picked 4, and Fitz could replace 1 of those with one of his own

He replaced John Joe with Leona Maguire :eek:

Scandalous call IMO

He made 2 replacements going by what's posted above.

Leona Maguire should not be on that list though that's him all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Looks like we'll be getting football in July as I predicted. Some of the posts now from the doomsday folk don't read too well.

Money makes the world go round and business was always going to win out in the end.

To be honest, the virus is now at such a low level that it's negligible.

Anyway, in the last few months, Moynagh did an interview with Colm Parkinson and he and McVeety don't appear in any rush back which is a pity.

At least the break means we should have players like Conor and Gerry Smith back fighting fit.

I still can't see us being promoted. Roscommon and Armagh will go up IMO.

Yevon wrote: »
    Ah yes, never mind the devastation visited upon thousands of families in Ireland directly and indirectly due to the virus. Doomsday never happened, money makes the world go round and you were right in predicting football in July... You might want to rethink what 'doesn't read too well' on this forum.

The fact is that the pandemic hasn't been nearly as bad as was expected and it's time now for things to return to normal.

Other than a few clusters, the chances of capturing Covid by community transmission now are apparently one in a million. With the measures taken, it was always going to be curtailed in a manner of months. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/expert-one-in-a-million-chance-of-randomly-contracting-covid-19-1006429.html

Anyway, onto football chat for July football

Senior draw today.

Gowna vs Ramor
    Kingscourt vs Lacken
    Crosserlough vs Lavey
    Killygarry vs Cavan Gaels
    Castlerahan vs Shercock
    Mullahoran vs Laragh

My bet for dark horses would be Killygarry. They should actually have everyone fit for once.

Interesting to see the senior championship is on September 20th so Mickey should have a good few weeks before the League starts again.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Looks like we'll be getting football in July as I predicted. Some of the posts now from the doomsday folk don't read too well.

Money makes the world go round and business was always going to win out in the end.

To be honest, the virus is now at such a low level that it's negligible.

Anyway, in the last few months, Moynagh did an interview with Colm Parkinson and he and McVeety don't appear in any rush back which is a pity.

At least the break means we should have players like Conor and Gerry Smith back fighting fit.

I still can't see us being promoted. Roscommon and Armagh will go up IMO.

We wont be promoted......Relegation is also a possibility...in fact I think its the mostly likely outcome

• Advertisement

a winter championship could prove to be a great leveller and provide some shocks.

I hope you are right but i reckon the balls will be back in storage by the end of October. Hope i'm wrong of course but it will be one of the first things to go again when cases start rising again.

We wont be promoted......Relegation is also a possibility...in fact I think its the mostly likely outcome

There are too many factors to play out to know yet - for example, if the clubs run players into the ground and play them injured like they normally do, we could be back down a lot of the players that are finally fit.

That said, if Roscommon beat Armagh, they would be guaranteed promotion so may play a shadow team in the last game ahead of championship.

That Clare result was the killer. In fairness, if we can’t beat Clare at home, we have no place in Division 1.

Before the lockdown, I done the floowing predictions....which would relegate us;

Round 6:
    Armagh v Ros......Armagh by 2
    W'meath v Laois.....W'meath by 2
    Clare v Fermanagh....Clare by 2
    Kildare v Cavan.......Kildare by 3

Round 7:
    Kildare v W'meath......Kildare by 4
    Cavan v Ros........Ros by 3
    Clare v Armagh.....Clare by 1 (Based on assumption Armagh are promoted at this stage and resting players for Final)
    Fermanagh v Laois.....Laois by 1 (Fermanagh down, and Laois still fighting to stay up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

Clubs in Cork, Down and Dublin have had to suspend training so far and training is only back a few weeks. Cavan King thinks everything is back to normal because lockown is over. Only ended lockown to save economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Any chance Cavan County Board would partner with a media outlet to broadcast/stream club games over the coming weeks? Surely this should be under serious consideration given the limited numbers permitted at games. I’m sure there is an opportunity of revenue beIng generated from it too.

• Advertisement

Seems a logical thing to do. Galway and Roscommon are streaming their Club Championship games because of covid.

I heard of an under age game called off during the week, because some backroom member supposedly had the virus. Not sure what type of club championship there will be.

rrs wrote: »
    Seems a logical thing to do. Galway and Roscommon are streaming their Club Championship because of covid.

I heard of an under age game called off during the week, because some backroom member supposedly had the virus. Not sure what type of club championship there will be.

They should have just gone for straight knock out this year to try and get it done and dusted in a shorter time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

celt262 wrote: »
    They should have just gone for straight knock out this year to try and get it done and dusted in a shorter time frame.

I can’t see it being finished anyway, will be more lockdowns on the way.

How many spectators will be allowed to attend matches?

Yeah I thought they might have changed it this year. 4 group games in a Championship is a bit much even without covid. It gives teams a chance of losing possibly 2 group games, and making a quarter final
    Not many Counties play 4 group games. 3 at most

Tyrone always play straight knock out as do Dery. Though Derry have changed format this year, with less league games.

tanko wrote: »
    I can’t see it being finished anyway, will be more lockdowns on the way.

How many spectators will be allowed to attend matches?

There are only 200 people allowed to attend so it will depend on the panel sizes if both teams had a panel of 40 including selectors and physio ect you then have referee, linesmen, Umpires, county board officials and the groundsman if its in breffni so you wouldnt be long limited it to around 100 spectators.

Clubs in Cork, Down and Dublin have had to suspend training so far and training is only back a few weeks. Cavan King thinks everything is back to normal because lockown is over. Only ended lockown to save economy.

And part of the economy is county boards relying on gate receipts, sponsorship money etc. Not to mention all the physios, coaches etc involved at all levels. Companies like Prunty Pitches.....

Money talks lads.
    There are only 200 people allowed to attend so it will depend on the panel sizes if both teams had a panel of 40 including selectors and physio ect you then have referee, linesmen, Umpires, county board officials and the groundsman if its in breffni so you wouldnt be long limited it to around 100 spectators.

Did any of you see the 200 limit being adhered to at games this weekend? I was at one yesterday and one today and there was easily more than 200 people at them.

Social distancing quite easy if people wanted to but the majority weren’t interested in it. It’s been the same at any challenge game I’ve attended over the last number of weeks.

I’ve driven past some grounds and easily seen near 200 cars outside let alone spectators.

Are you poor with numbers?

So you saw people at grounds this weekend counting the number of people going in? Like I said, I was at two different pitches and didn’t see any of this and, while I didn’t count the people, one game particularly had more than 200.

Please share your positive experience of being at a game and the rules being enforced if you saw it.

I’m open to others replying too because I do hope it is happening but, going on what I’ve seen, it isn’t.

Not every club would stick to 200 that isn't surprising.
    Other counties have plan to stream games that's a way of making revenue.. Damien Donahoe and Paul Fitz should be planning to stream for championship games. They've had enough time to think about about it along with. County board

So you saw people at grounds this weekend counting the number of people going in? Like I said, I was at two different pitches and didn’t see any of this and, while I didn’t count the people, one game particularly had more than 200.

Please share your positive experience of being at a game and the rules being enforced if you saw it.

I’m open to others replying too because I do hope it is happening but, going on what I’ve seen, it isn’t.

The game is was at I didnt try count but there was a decent crowd. Which pitches did u see over 200 cars at?

The game is was at I didnt try count but there was a decent crowd. Which pitches did u see over 200 cars at?

I won’t be calling out teams/places on a public forum. It wasn’t at a Cavan ground. If you wish to know, pm me and I can respond.

The pitch I passed had a full car park and also cars parked right the way around the pitch for a challenge game on a Sunday morning. Both easily viewed from the Main Road that passed it.

My point was the rules aren’t being adhered to and, to be honest, I don’t expect them to be. Only allowing 120 to 140 spectators at a game is ridiculous. Most pitches have about a half a kilometre in area around them. Plenty of room for more people, particularly as you’ll often have people from the one family at games so they don’t even need to allow for social distancing in some groups.

Not really sure what your point was because you seemed to want to pick at my post but then went on to agree with me that there was no counting at the game you were at? So, in trying to pick at my post, you’ve backed me up.

Not sure about me having a problem with numbers but you obviously have a problem with the skills of debating.

• Advertisement

There's multiple league games in Cavan with 200+ cars arriving?...

Want to expand on this? I’m not really sure what your post is disagreeing/agreeing with given its sparsity?

There’s no word limit here lads. Don’t be afraid to express yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Not every club would stick to 200 that isn't surprising.
    Other counties have plan to stream games that's a way of making revenue.. Damien Donahoe and Paul Fitz should be planning to stream for championship games. They've had enough time to think about about it along with. County board

Why should Damien Donohoe and Paul Fitz do a job the county board should be.

To discuss the streaming with the County board. They have we are Cavan patreon podcast so streaming should be another consideration.

There's multiple league games in Cavan with 200+ cars arriving?...

Yes and 100's at challenge games also

I thought my response was easily 200 words. When I went back and counted I found it was nowhere near that. Strange.

You’re a Castlerahan man if I remember correctly. Were you at the game yesterday? I’m told there was easily more than 200 people at it. Closer to 300 at least I was told. And that was supporters alone. Never mind taking the two teams and officials etc. out of the 300 allowed.

Do you believe clubs should be limited or what exactly is the point of your posts other than to try and have a little pick at something I said because we debated over points in the past?

In fairness, I’d be hurting too if my club had lost Mackey, R Flanagan, Sean Brady, Paul Lukie and Leahy. Five starters gone and it’s a long time since Castlerahan won anything at underage level.

Yes and 100's at challenge games also

Have you attended any recent challenge games?

People waited months for football. I’ve seen clubs advertising challenges in Supporter groups, on Twitter and on Facebook.

In case you haven’t noticed, we’ve moved outside the norm. There was a pandemic and no football for months - hence die hard supporters couldn’t wait to attend matches, even challenge ones.

My own club have had five games to date, three challenges and two League games, and I’ve attended four, only missing one because of a funeral I had to attend. I wasn’t the only person I saw at the two challenges I was at either.

It’s not like there’s too many places for me or anyone adhering to the guidelines to go at the minute so might as well go up to the local park and watch a match when it’s on. I’d prefer that than a trip to Aldi or Lidl to do the shopping.

I also told you to pm me if you wanted to know where I saw the cars. I got no pm so no sure why you’re still attempting to continue the point when you wouldn’t reply to me above.

Not sure this forum is for Cavan GAA discussion going by some of ye lads. A full round of league and reserve games on yesterday and I’ve yet to see a comment about a game from any of ye. The first competitive football in months and not one has mentioned it.....

Cavan football in rude health. They'll be out selling tickets to raise money for Car Park extensions before championship...

Clubs like Butlersbridge and Crosserlough have already invested heavily in their car parking and other facilities. It would be a bad time to go looking for funding now.

In relation to streaming, I’d see it as a last resort. There is easily room for people around the pitches if the government allows it. You’re looking at a half a kilometre area around most pitches. Plenty of room for people to space out. Even then, the games I have seen, both adult and juvenile, spectators were quite happy to ignore the guidelines.

To be honest, back to my original point, the rules might be enforced in Breffni because it’s the county ground but I’ve yet to speak to anyone who was at a game and saw the 200 limit in place over the weekend.

Clubs like Butlersbridge and Crosserlough have already invested heavily in their car parking and other facilities. It would be a bad time to go looking for funding now.

In relation to streaming, I’d see it as a last resort. There is easily room for people around the pitches if the government allows it. You’re looking at a half a kilometre area around most pitches. Plenty of room for people to space out.

To be honest, back to my original point, the rules might be enforced in Breffni because it’s the county ground but I’ve yet to speak to anyone who was at a game and saw the 200 limit in place over the weekend.

Would like to see some games streamed also and wouldn't mind paying for it either.

Cavan_King just so you know i'm not getting involved as i don't believe what you are saying, yes there likely was over 200 at some games yesterday thats believable and it will be interesting to see how the County Board handle it come championship. But in relation to over 200 cars at a challenge game...

Would like to see some games streamed also and wouldn't mind paying for it either.

Cavan_King just so you know i'm not getting involved as i don't believe what you are saying, yes there likely was over 200 at some games yesterday thats believable and it will be interesting to see how the County Board handle it come championship. But in relation to over 200 cars at a challenge game...

That’s no problem. I offered to pm the name of the club if you wished but you haven’t pmed. As I’ve said, I won’t be naming clubs on a public forum and the club was not in Cavan. Near but not in Cavan.

I think the county board will happily leave their head in the sand re games, bar maybe those in Breffni. After all, it’s not like they attempted to enforce anything over the weekend.

I also thought a club was meant to shut if a player, no matter what the team or age group, caught the virus but there’s rumours abound an U17 player from one team has it (I heard this first Friday evening) and they played an away game yesterday.

• Advertisement

I don't know why the Government would make the GAA an exception. Rugby, soccer, etc won't be having crowds and are playing behind closed doors as it is. It showed various games around the country with fans huddled together and that's with 200,so what would it be like with 500..

A building site in Dublin had to close down today because of an outbreak. The GAA is threading on thin water, some clubs ignoring rules, others not reporting cases

Advertisement