Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

celt262 wrote: »
    Has he not been tried under a few different managers and proved not up to it at that level ?

You thinking of Kevin Tierney, not Shane Tierney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭celt262

You thinking of Kevin Tierney, not Shane Tierney.

No Shane I'm thinking off maybe he was only in once before as mentioned earlier I though he had a few goes st it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

No Shane I'm thinking off maybe he was only in once before as mentioned earlier I though he had a few goes st it.

Not sure there have been enough managers there in the last seven or eight years for him to be able to have a “few goes” at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

Cavan Gaels seemed to lay down a marker, 10 pt win. The Cavan steam not laying down a marker, stream wouldn't work again for me . Listehed to it on Northern Sound.
    Maloney Derham making first start since retuning got a goal,. They have lots of options to now. Johnston didn't start.

Was going to be hard for Ramor to beat Cavan Gaels twice. They won well in Crosskeys, but Gaels are more confident in Breffni.

rrs wrote: »
    Cavan Gaels seemed to lay down a marker, 10 pt win. The Cavan steam not laying down a marker, stream wouldn't work again for me . Listehed to it on Northern Sound.
    Maloney Derham making first start since retuning got a goal,. They have lots of options to now. Johnston didn't start.

Was going to be hard for Ramor to beat Cavan Gaels twice. They won well in Crosskeys, but Gaels are more confident in Breffni.

Stream worked perfect for me. Gearoid some game.

• Advertisement

Stream worked perfect for me. Gearoid some game.

Worked perfectly for me too. There is a test to run over on the Cavstream page and they also state you need at least 20mb speed. I’m getting 20 to 40mb on Vodafone 4g wireless and I’m in the arsehole of nowhere not near a town.

Gaels have great strength in depth. I was impressed with Gearoid, Stephen Murray, Paul O’Connor & Daragh Sexton.

Looks like championship is there’s to lose if they can dispatch of Ramor that easily.

Obviously Cavan Gaels have won nothing yet, but would have been interesting if the Provincial Club Championship was on this year. The addition of McKiernan is worth 3 to 4pts a game.

Obviously Cavan Gaels have won nothing yet, but would have been interesting if the Provincial Club Championship was on this year. The addition of McKiernan is worth 3 to 4pts a game.

Not sure if he would have been about for it. He did an interview with Colm Parkinson and he’s getting married to Donna English on 17th October.

To be honest, Castlerahan last year, and our general performance in Ulster over the years, shows we are way off pace at senior club level.

Yes, the performances haven't been good. The Tyrone club championship was live on TG4. A good quality game,it was decided by penalties. Trillick led by Mattie Donnelly, Lee Brennan won. They play straight knock out in Tyrone, so always competitive.

The system in Cavan, while it's good for Clubs to play more games, is 4 group games not too much? . Usually by the 4th game is a dead rubber .,. The likes of Laragh, Shercock this year were just completing the final few fixtures and them out of the competition

Maybe a backdoor system, might be something that they should look at. Less quantity more quality

Obviously with crowds, more games means more income for the Co board, but they should be asking is there enough competive games.. Because the record in Ulster isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Gaels have great strength in depth. I was impressed with Gearoid, Stephen Murray, Paul O’Connor & Daragh Sexton..

All four were very impressive but one thing struck me was that the Gaels got most of their match ups right. And as you said, depth of that panel looks impressive. Martin Dunne was practically anonymous and then kicked two outrageous scores. A lot of people thought that without Jelly the Gaels would struggle (nice cameo at the end as well).

My stream was flawless and I have to say, the quality of play from both sides in the first half was outstanding. Really open game, lots of top notch scores from open play. Perhaps it’s because I am starved of football!!!

Finally, Gearoid was superb. He was clearly fired up for this one!

• Advertisement

Might not improve, but even from a fatigue point of view teams wouldn't be as worn out. When Kingscourt won the Championship in 2015,they played 10 games. Which included replays. They were subsequently hammered by kilcoo in Ulster.

The teams compete OK in Junior and Intermediate. But Senior is the barometer.
    The Glenties who beat Crahan last year were solid with being spectacular. A few County lads were to the fore but that was a missed opportunity for Castlerahan as they were capable of beating Clontibret in the Semi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

piplip87 wrote: »
    Ramor hammering the Geals.... Theres no sweeter victory in any sport for me to be honest. I guess Elliott will have to get the cheque book again.... Any word of what McKeirnans transfer fee was again... ?

Jaysus this post hasn't aged well at. The Geals looked very good last night. Ramor on the other hand absolutely terrible. No point starting the Championship off with some great football and good wins of you put in a performance like that in the knockout stages.

As a Ramor man I feel the age old question of what happens to Ramor players between underage and senior. If you look back at some of the players we've produced who have all faded away at 21 or 22. Who won everything at underage level. Some excuses can be made in the noughties as Healys was open and the lads liked to drink.... This team should be winning championships but seem to choke, should have beaten Castlerahan last year, played terrible last night.

Ramor seemed to lose a few players around the time Michael McDermott was manager. Anton Reilly being 1.
    Paul Queally was a talented corner forward.

But with all the success at under age, should be doing better. Joint managers maybe not a great thing either?

piplip87 wrote: »
    Jaysus this post hasn't aged well at. The Geals looked very good last night. Ramor on the other hand absolutely terrible. No point starting the Championship off with some great football and good wins of you put in a performance like that in the knockout stages.

As a Ramor man I feel the age old question of what happens to Ramor players between underage and senior. If you look back at some of the players we've produced who have all faded away at 21 or 22. Who won everything at underage level. Some excuses can be made in the noughties as Healys was open and the lads liked to drink.... This team should be winning championships but seem to choke, should have beaten Castlerahan last year, played terrible last night.

Do they not produce too many similar type players? All nice footballers but light. Don't seem to have any steel. Allowed gaels to push them to ground and didn't return it. Too nice.

Super game of football this evening. Lavey were unlucky Gerry Smith went off or they would have won that game.

I was stewarding at Breffni. Great atmosphere even with the lack of a crowd.

A lot of off the ball stuff but nice guys win nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Did Gerry Smith do his hamstring?

tanko wrote: »
    Did Gerry Smith do his hamstring?

Seemed to be lower down his leg???

Seemed to be lower down his leg???

I’m going on what was said in Breffni. From Cavstream coverage I watched later, I see he was down holding round his ankle right before it but then he pulls up on a run and it looked like his hammy.

He walked into full forward for a few minutes but he ended up having to come off, injury was too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Ramor seemed to lose a few players around the time Michael McDermott was manager. Anton Reilly being 1.
    Paul Queally was a talented corner forward.

But with all the success at under age, should be doing better. Joint managers maybe not a great thing either?

Yes McDermott came in and basically cut plenty of the older lads and got the young team of 2016 together. Anton would have been kept on nut went travelling. Some of them older lads are on the intermediate panel and should be doing much better there.

Hopefully they can kick on hard to imagine the young team people thought would dominate for a years haven't done anything since.

There was a bit of steel to a few of the older players. Anton Reilly played on the edge. The Monaghans.James McEnroe apsent too, he's away working.

Cavan could do with a player like McEnroe too.

• Advertisement

There was a bit of steel to a few of the older players. Anton Reilly played on the edge. The Monaghans.James McEnroe apsent too, he's away working.

Cavan could do with a player like McEnroe too.

McEnroe a quality player but I'm not that sure he was all that committed to Cavan. There were years he was still in ROI and didn't seem interested in playing. Certain clubs seem to go through phases and the Ramor lads don't seem too interested in playing for the county at the moment.

Semi final draws made

Castlerahan vs Crosserlough
    Kingscourt vs Gaels

Think it will be a Ballyhaise v Ballinagh Intermediate final, if kept apart in Semi finals. Ballinagh should beat Belturbet again tomorrow, though Belurbet might have a point to prove after the hammering last week

Ballyhaise look to be at full strength. Pauric Moore and Tierney were away for the Championship last year. David Brady was recovering from injury. Niall McDermott has given Ballinagh an outlet in attack. Kevin Smith, David Finnegan, Thomas Moore are good back up.
    . Cormac Timoney playing well at centre back.

Think it will be a Ballyhaise v Ballinagh Intermediate final, if kept apart in Semi finals. Ballinagh should beat Belturbet again tomorrow, though Belurbet might have a point to prove after the hammering last week

Ballyhaise look to be at full strength. Pauric Moore and Tierney were away for the Championship last year. David Brady was recovering from injury. Niall McDermott has given Ballinagh an outlet in attack. Kevin Smith, David Finnegan, Thomas Moore are good back up.
    . Cormac Timoney playing well at centre back.

Pauric Moore not gone back to Middle East?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there any truth to the talk that the county board are considering moving games to Enniskillen so that 400 spectators would be able to attend?

I doubt that would be allowed. Inniskeen managed by Oisin McConville wanted to play championship games in Armagh so spectators could attend, but weren't allowed.

If there was 400 spectators from Cavan going to Fermangh, it would be giving Fermangh Co board a potential problem if people were carrying the virus.

Remains to be seen if Inter County will have crowds so unlikely they would start letting fans go into another county to watch club football. 13th of September is when they are reviewing it.

Yevon wrote: »
    Are they releasing the numbers that are tuning the streaming? It's something i'd love to see them keep up. Stream each competition from the Quarter Finals onwards. It's a great opportunity for neutrals to view games that they probably wouldn't get out and attend as well as those abroad etc.

Would be great if they could stream future inter county League games too.

Intercounty training now back and I hear there are a few new additions to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan_King wrote: »

Intercounty training now back and I hear there are a few new additions to the squad.

Go on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Rte showing the county final..

I'd say lots of County panels will have new additions with players having performed in the Club Championship. Clare have a few lads back who were suppose to be travelling. Jamie Malone, Gary Brennan. The Murtagh brothers are back with Roscommon.

Bit strange that all four semi finals are Sunday. They usually have a few games across the weekend.

• Advertisement

Go on.....

Don’t have too many names. Danny Cusack (Lavey) & Oisin Brady (Killygarry) are in there anyway.

I don’t think any of the panel members who left like Killian Clarke have gone back.

Advertisement