Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

So Crosserlough v Kingscourt on Rte next weekend,
    What kind of a game are we in for?
    I was surprised how easy Kingscourt had it against the Gaels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

cavan4sam wrote: »
    So Crosserlough v Kingscourt on Rte next weekend,
    What kind of a game are we in for?
    I was surprised how easy Kingscourt had it against the Gaels

Didn't watch but heard it on the radio big surprise but well deserved by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

Kingscourt controlled the game. The loss of Faulkner didn't really effect them. Some big performances by Barry Tully, Alan Clarke, Peter Corrigan and Barry Reilly.
    Cavan Gaels flatter to deceive again. One big performance with a mediocre one.
    McKiernan was playing well early but was rattled by the attention and was losing his focus.

Crosserlough v Castlerahan was a good game, lot of mistakes on either side added to the excitement. As keoghan said on commentary, it was a bad mistake not to start Paul Smith.

Ballinagh v Ballyhaise was decent. Kevin Smith playing great stuff. He was always a good club player. Not sure if he was ever asked into the County. McDermott was very good too, and will likely get a County recall.
    Michael Brady for Ballyhaise is a good prospect, kicked a few quality scores. David Brady had his moments. Tierney was poor enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

A draw!!! Final kick of the game. I thought kingscourt had it.

Game ebbed and flowed - I think a fair result overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Fair enough result in the end alright but Kingscourt will be kicking themselves that they didn’t close it out in injury time with a two point lead. Crosserlough got the last point very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Crosserlough got the last point very easily.

They also got a helping hand from the referee who added enough time for them to get the leveling score. 5 minutes was the stated injury time. The whistle was blown close to 7 mins extra played and there were no injuries or stoppages in those five minutes.

I know they do it all the time but I can never understand how it's fair to give teams another chance to level a game that should be blown up at the stated time.

It was a rally good game of football. Referees have a hard job but he had some really strange calls. Kingscourt didn't get much from the ref and the game should have been blown up before Crosserlough equaliser as was well over 5th minute

Barry Reilly showed bits of class that to a National audience. Faulkner was excellent and was being hauled down and kept coming back. Moved to midfield to curtail James Smith and done well.

Crosserlough play lovely direct ball. A lot of pace in the full forward line, Paddy Lynch will plsyu Senior County before long

A great game of football,
    Decent quality scores, hard hitting and exciting
    The public seem to have enjoyed it going by social media
    Looking forward to the replay, I assume it'll be on cavstream?
    Some great fielding and not much short kickouts, my type of game well done to both teams
    Also crowds looked to be fairly spread out to which hopefully will help with the national media spotlight on the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Crosserlough got the last point very easily.

They also got a helping hand from the referee who added enough time for them to get the leveling score. 5 minutes was the stated injury time. The whistle was blown close to 7 mins extra played and there were no injuries or stoppages in those five minutes.

I know they do it all the time but I can never understand how it's fair to give teams another chance to level a game that should be blown up at the stated time.

Not the first time he has done it this year. Earlier in the year, he played 8 minutes to allow Gowna to equalise against Lavey I think it was when five minutes had been announced. Several supporters reckon he also told the Gowna bench there was a minute left when they had a free 4 minutes into injury time.

Unfortunately, he had a poor performance yesterday. It’s a pity the best ref in Cavan Noel Mooney appears to be taking a year out - I haven’t seen him ref any games anyway.

Not to draw from a great game though and a fine showcase for the county. Fair play to both teams. I had friends from other counties texting me that it was game over 15 minutes into it but I warned them that Kingscourt never give up.

Padraig Faulkner clearly carrying an injury and still one of the best men on the pitch. James Smith and Patrick Lynch looking a cut above as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Referee was very tough on Kingscourt. Should a next door neighbour be referee?

• Advertisement

5 minutes added seemed a bit extravagant. There wasn't much stoppages in second half. I think Kingscourt might have learned more from yesterday's game. Crosserlough looked like they would blow Kingscourt out of the water but tactical changes, like Faulkner to midfield steadied the ship. Still hard to call in replay.

Both teams without players with plenty of energy in Dara McVeety and Joe Dillon. Ryan O Reilly who was excellent in the forwards a few years ago would be missing with soccer commitments with Cliftonville. . Paul McEvoy away. They are still strong without those players.

Yevon wrote: »
    Thought the ref had a good game yesterday. Everyone was going mad about the Barry Reilly mark but the ball was passed from inside the 45. He let a lot go but I thought he did so for both sides.

It was an enjoyable game but there was a lot of poor shooting and silly mistakes. Quality overall wasnt great and I wouldn't fancy either team getting a win in Ulster if it went ahead.
    That said, both teams approached the game well. Faulkner and James Smith were both excellent. Crosserlough need someone to step up and lead when the game is there to be won.

May not have been a mark but still a free. He was been held. Tinnelly tripped in front of posts and no free either.

Oisin McConville and Morrisey were in disbelief at some of the decisions. And that was before the mark call on Barry Reilly. Crosserlough scoring well over the allocated time probaly summed it up. But it'd not a easy job..

McDermott was on fire again. Ballinagh realistically with the players they have would be making the later stages of Senior Championship.

rrs wrote: »
    Ballinagh realistically with the players they have would be making the later stages of Senior Championship.

This old chestnut again. I’ve heard the same said of Mullahoran and Laragh over the past couple of years and they’ve done nothing at Senior level.

It’s a big step up and if the intermediate champs struggling at Senior doesn’t show it, then the relegated team often jumping back up quickly does.

Ballinagh would have a better all round team then either Laragh or Mullahoran. A lot of them have a Senior medal from 2013. They were in a dissaray the year they went down. They likeky would have went up last year had McDermott being available. He wasn't a round when they were relagted either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Novel Junior final, Denn v Templeport

Ballinagh would have a better all round team then either Laragh or Mullahoran. A lot of them have a Senior medal from 2013. They were in a dissaray the year they went down. They likeky would have went up last year had McDermott being available. He wasn't a round when they were relagted either

They beat Mullahoran in the 2017 relegation play off and eventually went down in 2018. That’s a long “year” in disarray before relegation.

Like I said, I’ll believe that they’re fit for senior level when they show it.

Let’s have a look at the last few intermediate champs:

2013 - Killeshandra
    2014 - Cootehill
    2015 - Ballyhaise
    2016 - Arva
    2017 - Shercock
    2018 - Mullahoran
    2019 - Laragh

Not too many making a mark from that list.

Ollie Fay was managing both of those year. The Ballinagh players hadn't good reports of him as a manager. He had some success since that, but they are playing more as a team under Adrian Maguire a Ballinagh club man. Before Fay was there, Mccarthy was there and had then in good shape. Ciaran Reilly was there in 2013.

.I wouldn't have said much of those winners were going to do much at a Senior level. Mullahoran reached Ulster Intermediate final, but performance at a senior been poor until the Kingscourt game

Ballinagh a Division 1 league team. Laragh were relagted in league last year before they won Intermediate.

Ballinagh have looked like a senior team throughout the championship. The quality of their play, pace and power throughout the team just doesn't look like an intermediate side. That was borne out in the scorelines. They were as good as some teams that made the Senior Quarter finals IMO.

I tipped Ballinagh to win the intermediate myself because I did think they were a cut above but I still think there’s a huge step up in level between intermediate and senior, as the performance of teams being promoted shows.

Interesting comment re them being as good as some teams who made senior QFs. Other than Mullahoran, I wouldn’t agree but what other teams were you thinking of? I’d argue they’re not a better team than Lacken or Killygarry who didn’t make QFs.

Ballinagh beat Killygarry in one of those league games before Championship started. Obviously league and championship are different but Ballinagh wouldn't fear Killygarry. More of a toughness to Ballinagh which Killygarry lack..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Any idea if the senior final replay will be televised by RTE?

No, replay won't be telivised. Saturday was the last club football Rte are showing until the Inter County resumes

Knockbride twitter account alleging they were robbed of two goals. The two videos they have put up backing up this claim seem to show a clear square ball and push on the full back correctly called by the ref. :confused:

Crazy carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭celt262

Knockbride twitter account alleging they were robbed of two goals. The two videos they have put up backing up this claim seem to show a clear square ball and push on the full back correctly called by the ref. :confused:

Very childish , I would have give the 1st one though. Second definitely a square ball.

Co board with the Cavan price for the replay on stream, 15euro. I think its the only County that has a replay, most would have went extra time if that's how the game went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Co board with the Cavan price for the replay on stream, 15euro. I think its the only County that has a replay, most would have went extra time if that's how the game went.

It’s 15 for both the replay and the junior final

Just saw 10 for Senior on its own

Colm Parkinson on The GAA Hour was giving huge praise to them for it.

No harm in extending it a week anyway. Inter county not due to start until 14th October.

I don’t know what is going to happen inter county now with 900 cases (I hear) in NI today and a number of cases on the Armagh team.

12 members of the Armagh panel tested positive yesterday. The numbers are extremely high for just six counties of the North m

Inter County a lot more different to club. Club played within the acounty. The league fixtures teams from opposite ends of Country meeting.

• Advertisement

Crosserlough champions
    Not as good a game as the first game but entertaining all the same,
    Kingscourt left the shooting boots at home
    James Smith worthy MOTM and I'd love to see him around the county panel,
    Nice bit of bite with phiip Smith and lennon on the line
    Nice to see a few supporters at the game again

Advertisement