Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Agree with both posters above. Not as enjoyable as first match.

Think deserved winners on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Crosserlough champions
    Not as good a game as the first game but entertaining all the same,
    Kingscourt left the shooting boots at home
    James Smith worthy MOTM and I'd love to see him around the county panel,
    Nice bit of bite with phiip Smith and lennon on the line
    Nice to see a few supporters at the game again

Kingscourt really should have closed it out last week, i'd say that was playing on their minds all week. Crosserlough knew they were lucky to escape with a draw and made the most of it today.
    Is James Smith not on the county panel at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

James Smith played in some of the League games before covid started. Kingscourt weren't helped by poor performance from the ref last week. Crosserlough deserved the winner today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Crosserlough champions
    Not as good a game as the first game but entertaining all the same,
    Kingscourt left the shooting boots at home
    James Smith worthy MOTM and I'd love to see him around the county panel,
    Nice bit of bite with phiip Smith and lennon on the line
    Nice to see a few supporters at the game again

He played League games after returning from injury. Generally named in forwards but floats out to midfield.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Colm Parkinson on The GAA Hour was giving huge praise to them for it.

No harm in extending it a week anyway. Inter county not due to start until 14th October.

I don’t know what is going to happen inter county now with 900 cases (I hear) in NI today and a number of cases on the Armagh team.

The country going into another potential lockdown showed it was a risk having a replay. They got away with ith but if had of been fixed for next weekend, it might not have happened. Even if wasn't a lockdown, a Crosserlough or Kingscourt player could have tested positive and would have delayed things.

Look at the Junior final, who knows what when that will be played now.

• Advertisement

rrs wrote: »
    The country going into another potential lockdown showed it was a risk having a replay. They got away with ith but if had of been fixed for next weekend, it might not have happened. Even if wasn't a lockdown, a Crosserlough or Kingscourt player could have tested positive and would have delayed things.

Look at the Junior final, who knows what when that will be played now.

Junior final was more than one player in the Templeport camp. I don't think it would have been delayed if it was just one. I'd imagine they now wish they hadn't delayed it as god knows when it will be played.

Funniest interview of the weekend had to be Jimmy Higgins trying to say that Crosserlough decided to abandon training during lockdown and leave the lads to do their own thing - do you really think people are buying that one Jimmy!?

The GAA seem fixed on getting the intercounty games run off, I'd imagine for the sponsorship money and advertising.

Cavan apparently played challenges against Westmeath and Meath. Anyone know any teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭celt262

Junior final was more than one player in the

Funniest interview of the weekend had to be Jimmy Higgins trying to say that Crosserlough decided to abandon training during lockdown and leave the lads to do their own thing - do you really think people are buying that one Jimmy!?

I don't think they would have decided to abandon training it wasn't their option.

Do you think they trained during lockdown?

celt262 wrote: »
    I don't think they would have decided to abandon training it wasn't their option.

Do you think they trained during lockdown?

He said when lockdown was introduced they decided to stop training and left players of their own free will to basically do their own thing. That is complete and utter bull.

It's well know that every player had a strength and conditioning programme from Eoin Maguire.

I'm not saying they didn't do anything other clubs didn't but I don't see why these coaches give these interviews where they talk complete and utter tripe.

Junior final was more than one player in the Templeport camp. I don't think it would have been delayed if it was just one. I'd imagine they now wish they hadn't delayed it as god knows when it will be played.

The GAA seem fixed on getting the intercounty games run off, I'd imagine for the sponsorship money and advertising.

Cavan apparently played challenges against Westmeath and Meath. Anyone know any teams?

If was just 1 player he'd still have been in contact with others.

The numbers in Northern Ireland are very high. 1080 cases today. I don't know how the Northern teams can play in the League. Ryan Mc McMenamin saying the won't have enough players to play Clare.

If was just 1 player he'd still have been in contact with others.

The numbers in Northern Ireland are very high. 1080 cases today. I don't know how the Northern teams can play in the League. Ryan Mc McMenamin saying the won't have enough players to play Clare.

And the people in the North are blaming the South if you listen to any media coverage from down there.

I had heard two weeks ago Fermanagh were having alot of trouble getting players to train. Apparently there wasn't much interest from panel members so Ryan may have more problems than Covid!

• Advertisement

Yevon wrote: »
    The Junior final was cancelled after one player tested positive from Templeport on Friday night/Saturday morning. It was subsequently during the week that other players tested positive.

Denn stated it was “cases” in a Facebook post:

Attention Members.
    Due to Covid Cases in the opposition squad The Cully's Craft Bakery Junior Football Championship Final due to be played today at 3pm has been postponed, it will be replayed on Wednesday night 21st October...
    All tickets will remain valid.

You’d imagine they’d have their facts right as they would have had the info re the final being cancelled.

Denn stated it was “cases” in a Facebook post:

Attention Members.
    Due to Covid Cases in the opposition squad The Cully's Craft Bakery Junior Football Championship Final due to be played today at 3pm has been postponed, it will be replayed on Wednesday night 21st October...
    All tickets will remain valid.

You’d imagine they’d have their facts right as they would have had the info re the final being cancelled.

I was told it was 2 cases last Monday morning from someone from templeport.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

He said when lockdown was introduced they decided to stop training and left players of their own free will to basically do their own thing. That is complete and utter bull.

It's well know that every player had a strength and conditioning programme from Eoin Maguire.

I'm not saying they didn't do anything other clubs didn't but I don't see why these coaches give these interviews where they talk complete and utter tripe.

Then how was a video of them training in a farmers field sent to Croke Park?

Then how was a video of them training in a farmers field sent to Croke Park?

My point exactly. Why even bother to state it in the interview is my point. The whole county knows it’s bullish!t.

Yevon wrote: »
    You'd imagine they would but they didn't. One player had a confirmed positive when the game was cancelled. Others followed in the days after.

Your source? Another poster states above they were also told it was “cases” by a Templeport person.

A Templeport person told me of two confirmed on the Sunday of the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Any word of who is in/out of the Cavan panel for the upcoming games?

quidel wrote: »
    Any word of who is in/out of the Cavan panel for the upcoming games?

Danny Cusack, Caoimhin McGovern and Oisin Brady are three who are in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Great to see players that have been in good form in the club championships being recognised and getting called in.

Caoimhin McGovern suppose to be a very good prospect. He's 18,so one for the future, though maybe he might get some experience.

Shannon Gaels produce a lot of quality players. They would likely be playing higher then junior if they hadn't lost so many players.

Heard Timoney from Ballinagh was supposed to be in but was told to sit it out after the outbreak out there.

• Advertisement

The Kildare panel was announced over the weekend. Most of their key players involved like Kevin Feely, Daniel Flynn,
    Paddy Brophy, Paul Cribbin, David Hyland, Eoin Doyle.
    Plenty of big athletic players. Their preperations wouldn't have been great either, kildare was in lockdown for 3 weeks in September.

Gary Brennan and Jamie Malone back with Clare which should give them a boost for staying up in the Division.

Hopefully they can get the League fixtures complete. The Championship might not happen as level 5 could happen m a few weeks.

Are crosserlough lads back in?

The Kildare panel was announced over the weekend. Most of their key players involved like Kevin Feely, Daniel Flynn,
    Paddy Brophy, Paul Cribbin, David Hyland, Eoin Doyle.
    Plenty of big athletic players. Their preperations wouldn't have been great either, kildare was in lockdown for 3 weeks in September.

Gary Brennan and Jamie Malone back with Clare which should give them a boost for staying up in the Division.

Hopefully they can get the League fixtures complete. The Championship might not happen as level 5 could happen m a few weeks.

Inter county games are permitted under Level 5.

Interesting that a lot of the new additions to the Cavan panel are younger, college age lads.

It’s a big advantage to get those lads in now when they are in Cavan most of the time as college is remote.

Inter county games are permitted under Level 5.

No games level 5.

celt262 wrote: »
    No games level 5.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/10/09/sport/gaa/gaa-championships-level-5-restrictions/amp
    The likelihood of the All-Ireland championships going ahead this winter received a massive boost after it emerged NPHET recommended to the Government that the GAA’s flagship competitions be exempted in the event of a Level 5 lockdown being imposed.

Tony Holohan, in his letter to Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly recommending a move to Level 5 last Monday, advised that inter-county competitions would be exempted from restrictions.

The elite title for Inter County GAA, while it's elite level in GAA , it's amateur where players are working. Not like where the Rugby players are in their bubble, and play at weekend.

John Heslin saying he's not to concerned if it goes ahead. Colm Cavanagh saying the uncertainty of it going ahead, or it being upheld, confirmed his decision to retire.

They are bringing in instant testing for the County players to get results inside 48,whether that will help..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Ah lads this is nuts going ahead with these games
    Draw a line through this year, there's enough harm been done in the last few weeks nationwide

The high numbers in Cavan coming from the local club finals Celebrations.. What would happen if Cavan somehow won Ulster. House parties etc..

It was always a big risk to play any Gaa this year. GAA were questioning NPET when they stopped crowds attending games. Even to look at the games on TV crowds weren't distancing, Meath final a good example.
    Rathoath rampant with it now.

There wasn't much emphasis on people wearing face masks to games by the GAA bar those working at the ground.

I hope the games go ahead. With us all locked down for the foreseeable future, at least there will be something to watch.

• Advertisement

I think the league will be played and that will be that if we go level 5 that will end of it anyway.

Advertisement