Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

On a side note, Seanie Johnston named Cuchulainns manager with Mickey Lyng in back room team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Terry walked away himself. He wasn’t “sacked”. The We Are Cavan lads mentioned a heave by some players at the time on a podcast a while back which saw him go.

McGleenan stepped away himself too over some disagreement. Can’t remember exactly what it was.

Hiw could they continue in all fairness. The Cavan fans had knives in both of them over the style of play. In fairness the style was pure ****e but we welcomed Dublin and Kerry to Brefini thanks to the work they did. Now it's back in Division 3.

What the hell happened the under 21 lads from a few years ago. Jaysus I honestly thought we would be knocking on the door for Ulsters and even possibly get a team together to mount challenges against the top teams.

Jaysus this is ****ing disappointing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Same as it ever was its the hope that kills us!!!

piplip87 wrote: »
    Hiw could they continue in all fairness. The Cavan fans had knives in both of them over the style of play. In fairness the style was pure ****e but we welcomed Dublin and Kerry to Brefini thanks to the work they did. Now it's back in Division 3.

What the hell happened the under 21 lads from a few years ago. Jaysus I honestly thought we would be knocking on the door for Ulsters and even possibly get a team together to mount challenges against the top teams.

Jaysus this is ****ing disappointing to say the least.

Terry had just got us promotion to Division 1. I was very surprised he left when he did. In 2016 the loss to Derry in the qualifiers was a poor result but we had given Armagh a hiding and drew with Tyrone in an Ulster semi final before going to a replay.

We also had our best players playing and were one of the top scoring teams in the League.

McGleenan needed to go alright but, looking at results since, perhaps he wasn’t doing as bad as we thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

Those U21 teams that won 4 U21 titles, were based on defensive football. Realistically Peter Reilly when he came in should have been more expansive as 2 titles were won with a defensive structure.
    Then people were expecting attacking football at Senior. Cavan in 2016 Division 2 played excellent football. Gearoid McKiernan was on the 40, Johnston and Givney combining inside. Corr and Buchanan midfield . That was a strong panel that year, Keating and Jack Brady coming off the bench.

Mattie McGleenan took over the following year and a turnover. Givney etc gone. Been losing players every year

• Advertisement

It’s a sickening loss today. I'm as disappointed as anyone and, while I'm not one for changing the manager at a whim, serious questions have to be asked of the setup and tactics today.
    Killian Brady struggled at full back last week and the backline as a whole was too loose so why was nothing changed this week?
    Is there that little trust in the remainder of the panel that a clearly unfit Niall Murray was started? Cruel then to hook a great servant of Cavan football.
    I actually thought Conroy, the frees aside, was one of the better players in the first half, kicking a good score from play, so I am unsure why he was taken off. We could have done with him late on as he can kick long range scores.
    Why were we sending on 18 year old Oisin Brady when the game was in the melting pot at the end? A big ask of a young lad.
    Thomas Galligan made a huge difference - why didn't he start or why wasn't he on earlier?
    Like I said, those are just queries in terms of personnel. There could be serious questions about tactics too.

The players do also need to stand up because over the years we have lost games we should have won (Derry in 16, Tipp in 17 for example) but I certainly think they shouldn’t go from competing in Division 1 to looking as lacking as today,

I was trying to remember when Niall Murray last played a game. I think it was the Tyrone game in the McKenna Cup? He missed all club championship and league earlier in year.
    It was asking a lot of him..

There's probaly a few who should be in, that can't or won't commit from Kingscourt, Ramor, and Crosserlough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

rrs wrote: »
    I was trying to remember when Niall Murray last played a game. I think it was the Tyrone game in the McKenna Cup? He missed all club championship and league earlier in year.
    It was asking a lot of him..

There's probaly a few who should be in, that can't or won't commit from Kingscourt, Ramor, and Crosserlough.

I am a huge Niall Murray fan, but starting him today giving his lack of game time in a must win game was madness.

Galligan did well when he came on, good point in why he wasn’t earlier. For a do or die match, we were completely undercooked. Would’ve thought we would come out all guns blazing. Where was the fire in the belly?

Despite our lack of shape, discipline and basic errors, the game was there to be won. We got within a score and at no point did anyone seem to rally the troops!!!

Also, how anyone thinks Faulkner was fit today (or last week). He’s a warrior but he was so far off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Cavan played an illegal player last week and didn't realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gaafan21

Illegal? Who? Just wondering.

• Advertisement

Gaafan21 wrote: »
    Illegal? Who? Just wondering.

McGovern. Too young. Our full time secretary didn't realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

I am a huge Niall Murray fan, but starting him today giving his lack of game time in a must win game was madness.

Galligan did well when he came on, good point in why he wasn’t earlier. For a do or die match, we were completely undercooked. Would’ve thought we would come out all guns blazing. Where was the fire in the belly?

Despite our lack of shape, discipline and basic errors, the game was there to be won. We got within a score and at no point did anyone seem to rally the troops!!!

Also, how anyone thinks Faulkner was fit today (or last week). He’s a warrior but he was so far off the pace.

Lots of Cavan players looked like they had lead in their boots, the only thing i can think of is that they had a tough weeks training in preparation for the Monaghan game, is that a possibility.
    Cavan didn't play as a team today, they seemed to run around like headless chickens all doing their own thing.
    Team selection and substitutions were baffling also.

McGovern. Too young. Our full time secretary didn't realise it.

How is he too young? He’s past being a minor sure. Once he is 18 or turns 18 this year, he’s a senior player.

There is a rule about when you turn 18 to play County Senior, which was brought in when they reformed Minor to U17. McGovern only turned 18 in August.

How is he too young? He’s past being a minor sure. Once he is 18 or turns 18 this year, he’s a senior player.

A senior club player but not intercounty.

It happened a few years ago with Derry. Callum Brown was named in a McKenna Cup Squad, but then they had to ommit him from the panel.

Cavan should have been in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Looking at the bright side here division 3 is an opportunity start afresh, Mickey and selectors should be trying to get the best player in each position in the county on this panel. Currently for one reason or another it is not happening.

We should be able to go on a run in the league next year and we should be aiming to win the B championship. League and B championship double should be the aim. Who knows if work and study from home stays it could help get a few lads into the panel who otherwise couldn't commit

Uh oh. If HQ finds out they might deduct points and we could be relegated.

Oh, wait.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Oh, wait.

They might send us to Div 4, have we ever been there??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Cavan probably should have persisted with Terry, they were a decent enough team in 15 and 16.
    Where has all there stars players gone from that era ?
    Keating
    Givney
    Flanagan
    Dunne

• Advertisement

Oh, wait.

No punishment cause Kildare didn't object. In fact they told Cavan about it. Just shows shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

No punishment cause Kildare didn't object. In fact they told Cavan about it. Just shows shambles.

Could lead to 52 week suspension for county secretary.

C__MC wrote: »
    Cavan probably should have persisted with Terry, they were a decent enough team in 15 and 16.
    Where has all there stars players gone from that era ?
    Keating
    Givney
    Flanagan
    Dunne

Keating doesn’t even play club football now.
    Givney went to London for work.
    Flanagan quit the county panel.
    Dunne quit the county panel.

Yevon wrote: »
    We should offer Kildare a replay... its the decent thing to do.

Only seems fair. :)

Embarrassing more then anything, and Kildare probaly would have been on Cavans case had they lost.
    Monaghan stay up again. McManus to the fore as usual. They let Meath back into its a few times..
    Mayo going down a surprise. .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A senior club player but not intercounty.

Not even a senior club player. You have to be 18 before Jan 1st to play senior club or county league or championship

Slava Ukrainii

Not even a senior club player. You have to be 18 before Jan 1st to play senior club or county league or championship

I don’t believe that’s correct. You can’t play minor if you are turning 18 now during the year so you can play senior club.

McGovern already played for his adult club team this year.

I don’t believe that’s correct. You can’t play minor if you are turning 18 now during the year so you can play senior club.

McGovern already played for his adult club team this year.

Yeah only applies to county.

Watching Monaghan against Meath here and they are running through going for goals a lot.

Looking at our defensive “setup” yesterday, I’d be very worried. They’ll cut right through us.

• Advertisement

Hear a few reports that Conor McManus bulked up over the lockdown. Watching the clips from the Meath game he looks like a tank..

Advertisement