Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Really don't know what your agenda is dragging all this up again tayto apart from your obvious dislike of Val Andrews for whatever reasons but I will put it simply for you - your mates are clowns who don't have a clue.

Val Andrews is gone from the Cavan set-up and he has acknowledged that things didn't work out here from him and I'm sure that is a great disappointment to him - he came back for a second spell in charge which took great guts. Val was respected by the vast majority of the players and was known as someone who called a spade a spade. Sometimes in jobs things don't work out - doesn't make the person "not up to it" - show some respect. The vast majority of true Cavan supporters will acknowledge the much needed thankless work done by Val which made life an awful lot easier for Terry Hyland (who you are conviently forgetting worked very closely with Val).

As to the 6 players who were "dropped" by Val, only one is back in the set-up and he's playing the football of his life!! Speaks volumes about the guy and semms Val got it spot on that the lad needed a kick up the hole if he wanted to fulfil his potential. I'm not going to slag off any of the other on an internet forum but some had commitments outside of football and some didn't have the dedication it takes to be an intercounty footballers - simple as. The fact that 5 of the 6 are outside the county team now speaks volumes and blows your argument up.

And by the way you brought this up - no-one else - I have no wish to re debate the issue with you but you have been told by 3 Cavan supporters here that your mates are talking crap - accept it and move on - maybe set up a Louth football thread and how rosy life has been since Val left.

Post 977 brought it up again Tom as well you know.
    I didn't even read past your first line when you accused me of bringing it up again but you will hardly apologise anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

I didn't even read past your first line when you accused me of bringing it up again but you will hardly apologise anyway.

Ok I have read back and I stand corrected - it was Lemlin that brought Val Andrews up in that post - I have no problem admitting when I am wrong so there ya go I was wrong on that point.

However, it was you that stated that the players had a meeting to get rid of Val Andrews (post 980)- that is not true no matter what your mates tell you and has been acknowledged as such by Val Andrews, the players and the county board - that's what started us down this path again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

To be honest tayto, last year you had your "Cavan friends" and this year you now have "close sources" in the panel.

Yet you've already made a number of points which are either downright lies or incorrect. Whichever way you look at it, they aren't the truth and you're twisting the truth to suit your vendetta.

For example:

- trying to say Hyland has resetablished players that Val dropped. Only one has been brought back and that was very much on Terry's conditions that improvements were made.
    - trying to say Val was "got rid of". He resigned himself.

Those are just two examples.

I'm always very wary also of people on internet forums who say they were told this or that by players or panel members.

Cavan's a small county. I know county players myself. I know their families. I know their relations. And, one thing I do know, is that they are very secretive about the panel and give away very little, even to those closest to them. In fact, the lads I do know are clearly very awkward when I do see people ask them questions and, because of this, most people who know them now know not to other than maybe giving them an encouraging remark.

Therefore I'm always amazed by these lads that pop up on forums stating "close sources" told them this or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Moving the date is the most sensible option IMO

Moving the date is the most logical, and sensible, but if the game is scheduled for tv, then this will not happen.

Game will be moved to Clones IMO if anything changes

Ok I have read back and I stand corrected - it was Lemlin that brought Val Andrews up in that post - I have no problem admitting when I am wrong so there ya go I was wrong on that point.

However, it was you that stated that the players had a meeting to get rid of Val Andrews (post 980)- that is not true no matter what your mates tell you and has been acknowledged as such by Val Andrews, the players and the county board - that's what started us down this path again. :rolleyes:

If it's not true then I will stand corrected too and have no problems with that.
    I stated what I was told by someone close to players on the panel. Maybe they were wrong too or maybe there was an "official" version put out.
    Nevertheless my reasons for engaging in the discussion in the first place were to point out that Andrews would not be good for Cavan and that it would not end well were borne out.

Lemlin wrote: »
    To be honest tayto, last year you had your "Cavan friends" and this year you now have "close sources" in the panel.

Yet you've already made a number of points which are either downright lies or incorrect. Whichever way you look at it, they aren't the truth and you're twisting the truth to suit your vendetta.

For example:

- trying to say Hyland has resetablished players that Val dropped. Only one has been brought back and that was very much on Terry's conditions that improvements were made.
    - trying to say Val was "got rid of". He resigned himself.

Those are just two examples.

I'm always very wary also of people on internet forums who say they were told this or that by players or panel members.

Cavan's a small county. I know county players myself. I know their families. I know their relations. And, one thing I do know, is that they are very secretive about the panel and give away very little, even to those closest to them. In fact, the lads I do know are clearly very awkward when I do see people ask them questions and, because of this, most people who know them now know not to other than maybe giving them an encouraging remark.

Therefore I'm always amazed by these lads that pop up on forums stating "close sources" told them this or that.

I would love to name my source but can't as he's a close relation of a player.
    You hardly expect me to name him and I don't think the rules would allow it anyway. They cannot even disclose stuff in the Dail. Therefore all anyone can say is a "source close to the panel or players".
    Your other point is only semantics.

I would love to name my source but can't as he's a close relation of a player.
    You hardly expect me to name him and I don't think the rules would allow it anyway. They cannot even disclose stuff in the Dail. Therefore all anyone can say is a "source close to the panel or players".
    Your other point is only semantics.

No, I don't expect you to name him because I don't believe you have a source. Like I said, the panel are hugely secretive and players rarely comment to anyone about the goings on so I find it very strange that someone not even in Cavan could gain access to this information. I'd also suggest that if you can't name a source there's no point trying to use the information. It's useless. That's why I posted the articles answering your questions. I'm posting facts and quotes. You're posting hearsay.
    If it's not true then I will stand corrected too and have no problems with that.
    I stated what I was told by someone close to players on the panel. Maybe they were wrong too or maybe there was an "official" version put out.
    Nevertheless my reasons for engaging in the discussion in the first place were to point out that Andrews would not be good for Cavan and that it would not end well were borne out.

Like I said, whether or not Val's term was good or bad is a matter of opinion. GAA is a results-based business, the same as any sport, and Val didn't deliver the results. That is true.

However, I think it'd be unfair to say that he didn't launch the plateau which is now leading to results. After all, like I said, he was responsible for cutting players that needed to be cut and stood firm when he received alot of criticism.

I also spoke earlier in the thread about Cavan having only two debutants this year. Last year they had seven against Donegal (the article I found says 5 but McLoughlin and Killian Clarke were later drafted into the starting line up). The year before 8 players made their championship debuts against Donegal.

So Andrews blooded players like Gearoid McKiernan, Damien Reilly, Niall McDermott, Fergal Flanagan, James McEnroe, Jack Brady, Killian Clarke and Jason McLoughlin. All of whom, bar McKiernan with injury, played a part against Donegal. He also played various other players in the league and other championship games. Martin Dunne, for example, played his first games in the League under Andrews last year.

So you may argue that Andrews was "not good for Cavan" but I'm hoping that he started a revolution which may actually lead to some silverware.

I also must of missed where we had huge success before he arrived. The Cavan team I remember him arriving too is one which had only beaten Division 4 teams in the championship for the best part of a decade. It was also a team which had been hammered by Cork in a qualifier the year before.

No, I don't expect you to name him because I don't believe you have a source. Like I said, the panel are hugely secretive and players rarely comment to anyone about the goings on so I find it very strange that someone not even in Cavan could gain access to this information. I'd also suggest that if you can't name a source there's no point trying to use the information. It's useless. That's why I posted the articles answering your questions. I'm posting facts and quotes. You're posting hearsay.

Like I said, whether or not Val's term was good or bad is a matter of opinion. GAA is a results-based business, the same as any sport, and Val didn't deliver the results. That is true.

However, I think it'd be unfair to say that he didn't launch the plateau which is now leading to results. After all, like I said, he was responsible for cutting players that needed to be cut and stood firm when he received alot of criticism.

I also spoke earlier in the thread about Cavan having only two debutants this year. Last year they had seven against Donegal (the article I found says 5 but McLoughlin and Killian Clarke were later drafted into the starting line up). The year before 8 players made their championship debuts against Donegal.

So Andrews blooded players like Gearoid McKiernan, Damien Reilly, Niall McDermott, Fergal Flanagan, James McEnroe, Jack Brady, Killian Clarke and Jason McLoughlin. All of whom, bar McKiernan with injury, played a part against Donegal. He also played various other players in the league and other championship games. Martin Dunne, for example, played his first games in the League under Andrews last year.

So you may argue that Andrews was "not good for Cavan" but I'm hoping that he started a revolution which may actually lead to some silverware.

I also must of missed where we had huge success before he arrived. The Cavan team I remember him arriving too is one which had only beaten Division 4 teams in the championship for the best part of a decade. It was also a team which had been hammered by Cork in a qualifier the year before.

Andrews did no such thing. The players were up and coming and Hyland had far more to do with their success than Andrews no matter what you claim.
    You have been flogging a dead horse.
    My source is a Cavanman as already stated. You can choose to ignore or disbelieve that fact with all your might for as long as you like as it doesn't matter to me what you believe.
    Cavan had little success before Val arrives like any other county team he left. Thankfully the people who matter eventually saw that and acted accordingly.

I agree with you that he started a revolution alright. The one that got him out of Cavan.

Andrews did no such thing. The players were up and coming and Hyland had far more to do with their success than Andrews no matter what you claim.
    You have been flogging a dead horse.
    My source is a Cavanman as already stated. You can choose to ignore or disbelieve that fact with all your might for as long as you like as it doesn't matter to me what you believe.
    Cavan had little success before Val arrives like any other county team he left. Thankfully the people who matter eventually saw that and acted accordingly.

I agree with you that he started a revolution alright. The one that got him out of Cavan.

I fully agree that Hyland did. I always said Terry was the man I wanted for the job.

The fact still remains that Val took alot of criticism for the decisions he made. How many times last year had we to listen to pundits and other players say stuff like, "who do Cavan think they are dropping Seanie Johnston"? I even heard it a number of times on the board here. I also saw numerous supporters complain about Lyng and others being dropped.

Yet there's every chance Martin Dunne wouldn't have been in the panel if Johnston was still there. The two are very alike. It was even pointed out in the commentary last Sunday. And, as for your reasoning that all the players were up and coming, Martin Dunne couldn't make the U21 team in 2010 and stepped away from it. It was Val brought him into the senior panel.

It was also Val who was brave enough to start McLoughlin and Clarke when they were 18 and 19 and give them the championship experience that has been vital. Alot of managers would have stuck with the old guard, as alot of supporters wanted, and we'd still be losing championship games year after year.

And your argument re the players being up and coming is futile because it could be aimed at any manager. Sure Jim McGuiness isn't a good tactician and manager, he's just lucky players like Murphy and McBrearty arrived!?

You may not be able to compliment the man but I hope that in years to come Cavan will be successful and people will look back and realise that Val Andrews took alot of unwarranted criticism for starting work from the bottom up, which is exactly what he did.

I fully agree that Hyland did. I always said Terry was the man I wanted for the job.

The fact still remains that Val took alot of criticism for the decisions he made. How many times last year had we to listen to pundits and other players say stuff like, "who do Cavan think they are dropping Seanie Johnston"? I even heard it a number of times on the board here. I also saw numerous supporters complain about Lyng and others being dropped.

Yet there's every chance Martin Dunne wouldn't have been in the panel if Johnston was still there. The two are very alike. It was even pointed out in the commentary last Sunday. And, as for your reasoning that all the players were up and coming, Martin Dunne couldn't make the U21 team in 2010 and stepped away from it. It was Val brought him into the senior panel.

It was also Val who was brave enough to start McLoughlin and Clarke when they were 18 and 19 and give them the championship experience that has been vital. Alot of managers would have stuck with the old guard, as alot of supporters wanted, and we'd still be losing championship games year after year.

And your argument re the players being up and coming is futile because it could be aimed at any manager. Sure Jim McGuiness isn't a good tactician and manager, he's just lucky players like Murphy and McBrearty arrived!?

You may not be able to compliment the man but I hope that in years to come Cavan will be successful and people will look back and realise that Val Andrews took alot of unwarranted criticism for starting work from the bottom up, which is exactly what he did.

I don't think Val was there long enough to achieve all you praise him for.
    It is also a disservice to Hyland and all the club mentors involved in each individual club who brought those boys to county standard.
    As for Jim Mc Guinness being lucky ... nuff said.

• Advertisement

I don't think Val was there long enough to achieve all you praise him for.
    It is also a disservice to Hyland and all the club mentors involved in each individual club who brought those boys to county standard.
    As for Jim Mc Guinness being lucky ... nuff said.

I praise him for starting the good work. That is all. There's no doubting it could have went better and he made mistakes, including clashing with certain players.

But I still stick to my original point that he had a hard skin and took alot of criticism for making decisions which only now appear to have been correct.

I praise him for starting the good work. That is all. There's no doubting it could have went better and he made mistakes, including clashing with certain players.

But I still stick to my original point that he had a hard skin and took alot of criticism for making decisions which only now appear to have been correct.

On that we'll agree to differ as I think Hyland straightened it all out after he left.

On that we'll agree to differ as I think Hyland straightened it all out after he left.

Ah well, I'd presume you'd have that information from your "close sources" ;)

Just wondering did Andrews give you a bad mark on some of your coursework or did he piss in your corn flakes that the vendetta is that bad?

Ah well, I'd presume you'd have that information from your "close sources" ;)

Just wondering did Andrews give you a bad mark on some of your coursework or did he piss in your corn flakes that the vendetta is that bad?

Well you and your friend seem to put him above all else anyway.
    Nothing like a bit of licking up to a complete outsider who never won anything with any county and putting your own men down.

Good luck to Terry Hyland and the boys.

Well you and your boyfriend seem to put him above all else anyway.
    Nothing like a bit of licking up to a complete outsider who never won anything with any county and putting your own men down.

Good luck to Terry Hyland and the boys.

Funny how you didn't answer the question. Did ya fail your course on that E he gave ya?

Val managed Louth and Cavan. It's not much of an insult to say he won nothing. Hardly two powerhouses of football.

I have a friend though who has a sister whose mother in law's father's brother is close to a member of the panel and "close sources" in it told them that Val was the best manager they had in Louth in years ;)

Funny how you didn't answer the question. Did ya fail your course on that E he gave ya?

I'm a bit past courses at this point.
    You failed to answer a lot of questions yourself.

I'm a bit past courses at this point.
    You failed to answer a lot of questions yourself.

Point them out so and I'll gladly answer.

Point them out so and I'll gladly answer.

You should have answered the first time, you had ample opportunity.

You should have answered the first time, you had ample opportunity.

I see what you're trying here: reverse psychology. I answered all the questions but, by trying to say I didn't, some people might think I didn't.

Bravo. You must have been head of the school debating team.

• Advertisement

I see what you're trying here: reverse psychology. I answered all the questions but, by trying to say I didn't, some people might think I didn't.

Bravo. You must have been head of the school debating team.

I was :pac:

I was :pac:

I strongly doubt it. I think there's more chance of you getting the E off Val.

I strongly doubt it. I think there's more chance of you getting the E off Val.

Why do you think such a "wonderful" manager got the E himself?

An interesting post lifted from Cavan Hogan Stand about the team and their successes:

1 Conor Gilsenan - Two ulster u21's.. 2. Jason McLoughlin- two ulster 21's.. 3. Rory Dunne Ulster 21 finalist, leinster junior winner '12.. 4. Killian Clarke- Ulster minor '11, and two u21 titles.. 5 James McEnroe- Ulster 21 finalist 2010.. 7. Killian Brady two ulster 21's, leinster junior 12.. 9. Dave Givney- Sigerson winner 2013, u21 finalist 2010. 11. Jack Brady 3 Ulster u21 titles. 12 Ferg Flanagan- 3 Ulster u21 titles. 13. Niall Mc Dermott Ulster u21 title. 14 Martin Dunne Leinster junior winner 2012.

That winning mentality really came into it when we were only a point ahead last Sunday.

Great win for the minors tonight. They beat Fermanagh 0-12 to 2-5.

Two wins in a week for a minor team that people are saying is the poorest in a few years.

• Advertisement

Great win for the minors tonight. They beat Fermanagh 0-12 to 2-5.

Two wins in a week for a minor team that people are saying is the poorest in a few years.

Its that winning mentality that we keep talking about - we are now winning games that are in the melting point - teams is picking up momentum too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

A diffcult read,but remarkably brave and honest.Fair play to him.Sometimes we think players when they put on a jersey are immune to lifes troubles,but their just like the rest of us,all blessed with a talent of our own,in their case GAA but at the same time their just as human as us.
    A very brave guy,I hope he wins he battle with it.And fair play to the GPA and GAA for having a counselling service for players ,to help them.

Its that winning mentality that we keep talking about - we are now winning games that are in the melting point - teams is picking up momentum too.

Hopefully the juniors continue that winning mentality tomorrow aginst Louth. They made the Leinster final the last three years I think, winning it just the once last year by beating Kildare.

A few of last year's players have moved up to senior so it's proving to be a great stepping stone. Martin Reilly, Martin Dunne, Rory Dunne and Killian Brady all played for the juniors last year. 3 of them started against Armagh and Martin Reilly came on and will be pushing for a starting spot.

Tonight I'd expect to see a good few of the U21 team from this year. Turloc Mooney, Chris Conroy, Conor Moynagh and Enda O'Reilly should all start I'd imagine.

Edit: have my days mixed up. Game is tomorrow evening (Wednesday).

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

I think Conor Moynagh has gone under the knife again Lem. Hope he can get himself right as he is a touch of class.

Expect Michael Brady and Enda Reilly to play and perhaps Barry Reilly. It has proven to be a excellent way to blood players and hopefully we can continue our good form so far.

scoopmine wrote: »
    I think Conor Moynagh has gone under the knife again Lem. Hope he can get himself right as he is a touch of class.

Expect Michael Brady and Enda Reilly to play and perhaps Barry Reilly. It has proven to be a excellent way to blood players and hopefully we can continue our good form so far.

I wasn't aware about Moynagh. Hopefully he can get himself right for next year's U21s.

I hadn't thought about Barry Reilly. I'd imagine he will start as he missed last year for the seniors through injury. I'd also expect Joe Dillon from Kingscourt to maybe get a run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Is Joe on the panel? He had a bad start to the year with injury and affected his place with the u21s.

scoopmine wrote: »
    Is Joe on the panel? He had a bad start to the year with injury and affected his place with the u21s.

I don't think there is a panel as such. The juniors tend to use players that are training with the senior panel but are eligible e.g. Conroy, Mooney but also call in a few extras who have been going well in club football for the games AFAIK.

One player who will also feature is Damien Barkey I'd say. He was very good for us in the league at corner back last year and I'm surprised he hasn't been given a championship start yet. I could see him starting at full back.

Hopefully the juniors continue that winning mentality tomorrow aginst Louth. They made the Leinster final the last three years I think, winning it just the once last year by beating Kildare.

A few of last year's players have moved up to senior so it's proving to be a great stepping stone. Martin Reilly, Martin Dunne, Rory Dunne and Killian Brady all played for the juniors last year. 3 of them started against Armagh and Martin Reilly came on and will be pushing for a starting spot.

Tonight I'd expect to see a good few of the U21 team from this year. Turloc Mooney, Chris Conroy, Conor Moynagh and Enda O'Reilly should all start I'd imagine.

Edit: have my days mixed up. Game is tomorrow evening (Wednesday).

I'll be on the gate tomorrow night lads.
    Just mention your Boards names and i'll have tea and sandwiches organised for yis all at half-time. Hoping for a good game. I hear yis are strong. Probably beat us easily.

I'll be on the gate tomorrow night lads.
    Just mention your Boards names and i'll have tea and sandwiches organised for yis all at half-time. Hoping for a good game. I hear yis are strong. Probably beat us easily.

From your "close sources" was it Tayto?

You never know what to expect with junior football to be honest. Kildare had Dermot Earley playing last year for example!

The team will again be based on players from the U21 teams and aimed at helping them progress to the senior team. Seeing as they have been training since last July for the U21 championship, they should be more than ready for this game but, as I said, you just never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭celt262

. Seeing as they have been training since last July for the U21 championship, they should be more than ready for this game but, as I said, you just never know.

I doubt that is true.

celt262 wrote: »
    I doubt that is true.

I have no source so it may well be incorrect. I'm just going by a quote I had read.

I have no source so it may well be incorrect. I'm just going by what I was told.

They had no manager until end of August and trials were not until October.

Team V Louth

Alan O'Mara
    James Morris
    Turloc Mooney
    Oisin Minagh
    Niall O'Reilly
    Damien Barkey
    Michael Brady
    Marc Leddy
    Ross Sheridan
    Chris Conroy
    Barry Reilly
    Niall Murray
    Dara McVeety
    David Hyland
    Oisin O' Connell

celt262 wrote: »
    They had no manager until end of August and trials were not until October.

You could indeed be correct. I was attributing the training since July to a quote from a player following the U21 final win but then that player was involved in last year's juniors and senior panel so perhaps he was referring to that training.

The quote was something along the lines of "we've been training since last July for this". Can't find it online but then it was in the Celt.

Strong looking team. O'Meara, Barkey, Minagh, Barry Reilly and Murray all have good league experience behind them.

Interesting to see Mooney at full back. Hopefully he does well.

You never know what to expect with junior football to be honest. Kildare had Dermot Earley playing last year for example!

The team will again be based on players from the U21 teams and aimed at helping them progress to the senior team. Seeing as they have been training since last July for the U21 championship, they should be more than ready for this game but, as I said, you just never know.

Great evening for the game anyway and i'm hoping for a good close encounter.
    Cavan are the defending Leinster champions and again should be strong. Looking forward to seeing young Barry Reilly, know some of his family well. A lot of Senior medals in that family.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to seeing young Barry Reilly, know some of his family well. A lot of Senior medals in that family.

A serious amount of medals alright - Jim (Barry's uncle) has 8 Cavan Senior medals, Terry has 5 or 6 and Michael has 4 and Eugene has 2 to add to Barry's!! Seriously talented family

Great evening for the game anyway and i'm hoping for a good close encounter.
    Cavan are the defending Leinster champions and again should be strong. Looking forward to seeing young Barry Reilly, know some of his family well. A lot of Senior medals in that family.

It's a pity he missed so much of the U21 campaign last year. I'd expect him to be near a start in the Fermanagh game as he is capable of long range scoring.

It's a pity he missed so much of the U21 campaign last year. I'd expect him to be near a start in the Fermanagh game as he is capable of long range scoring.

With the family tradition he will soon be an integral part of the team, that's for sure.

Cavan pull another game out of the melting pot. Behind by 2 points with 15 minutes left and they rattle off the next 4 scores to finish on 1-10.

Louth got one more point after that to leave them on 1-9.

Next game is against Longford on June 12th.

Poor enough game. Cavan the better team going forward. Got a goal after 30 seconds through Niall Murray. Barry Reilly had a few bad wides and good enough distribution, he is very mobile.
    Shooting very bad from both sides.
    Louth missed a few close frees, one very bad one in particular. Sean Mc Cann very good at midfield.

Well done Cavan, go on and win it again now.

Poor enough game. Cavan the better team going forward. Got a goal after 30 seconds through Niall Murray. Barry Reilly had a few bad wides and good enough distribution, he is very mobile.
    Shooting very bad from both sides.
    Louth missed a few close frees, one very bad one in particular. Sean Mc Cann very good at midfield.

Well done Cavan, go on and win it again now.

Was it not Chris Conroy that got the goal? Official Cavan GAA on Twitter said it was Conroy.

I like our new habit of winning tight games :D

Was it not Chris Conroy that got the goal? Official Cavan GAA on Twitter said it was Conroy.

Yes it was. My mistake, the number 10.

Yes it was. My mistake, the number 10.

Who stood out for Cavan Tayto?

• Advertisement

Who stood out for Cavan Tayto?

It would be hard to name a man of the match for either team.
    The Cavan defence were good, some good blocks. The short hand-passing game is hard to watch at times i.e. 10 short passes and ending up going backwards in order to keep possession. The number of back passes was unbelievable. Oisin Minagh no. 4 was good I thought and Barkey no. 6. Conor Madden (22) won some great ball but did a lot of fumbling. Barry Reilly (11) was always available but his shooting in the first half was poor. He did score a few long-range frees in the 2nd half though.
    Louth were 2 ahead with 12 mins remaining but Cavan reeled off 4 in a row.

Advertisement