Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Killian Brady or Martin Reilly didn't get an All Star. Reilly got an all star

Apologies the way Killian Brady is been spoke about i though he must have got one. Must be ulster all star.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

celt262 wrote: »
    Apologies the way Killian Brady is been spoke about i though he must have got one. Must be ulster all star.

I wouldn’t blame you for being confused but 12 Cavan players got those and he wasn’t one either:

https://www.highlandradio.com/2021/01/23/two-donegal-players-named-in-irish-news-ulster-all-stars/

Is he actually the only player who started every game in Ulster that didn’t?

There have been changes in the panel. I’m aware of at least one player that was in there last year that isn’t this year. Not sure when exactly he was let go (hadn’t the heart to ask!) but it has been in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Martin Reilly was outstanding against Laois (even though he was part of the mix up that led to the Laois goal in the first half). As were both Bradys (and Faulkner). It was an atrocious day and we had to dig in against the wind in the second half.

In the second half of the Clare game, i thought he was our best player. Granted, it was a collectively poor showing so not much to shout about there!

Mackey worked as an impact sub as he still had enough pace to explode past markers (which worked really well in both Armagh matches). Martin isn't that sort of player and is still physically fit to cover every blade of grass. He was probably our best player against the Dubs.

And with regards to Killian Brady, someone referenced Mossy Corr. Sometimes you need a player who does the graft and wins dirty ball. Up until last year, our best year was in 2016 when Mossy did the graft and freed up Buchannan and Gearoid to raid forward.

For me, he's a certain starter if fit on Saturday as he will be precisely the player you will need to get stuck in. Players will be naturally fairly rusty so effort and commitment will be what sees us over the line.

Yevon wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you're talking about Damien Donohoe, I'm not Damien Donohoe.
    Killian Brady has a limited skillset. That doesn't mean his ability to influence a game is limited. Watch the ground he covers, the tackles he makes, the defensive holes he makes the effort to plug. He got taken to the cleaners against Dublin, that has happened better players than Killian Brady. He is a senior player and a leader on the team, well worth his place and he has proven that time and again.

As for Martin Reilly, again I'm forming that opinion by actually having gone to the games, not from reading reports or listening to who people were raving about. He was outstanding against Laois, the best player on the field by a distance.

Trying to justify your suggestion to bench one of our best players before the championship even after he plays out of his skin in every game and we win the title is something else though. :confused:

It also doesn't make sense, you thought Martin wasn't playing well and should be benched. But finishing with him on the field means finishing with a stronger team than we started. So which is it? He makes the team stronger or he doesn't? Comparing him to Mackey is nonsense, Martin has yet to show signs that he's not fit for a full 70 minutes, far more athletically gifted than Mackey.

I fully agree Killian Brady has a place to play but I think that place is against Ulster or lower league opposition. Against a Galway, Mayo or Dublin, I think he will be found wanting and that is why I think there are better players who can take his position - Conor Brady being one who I think can also get through dirty work and cover ground.

As I said, and you chose to ignore, Killian has failed to hold down a position on the team under successive managers. Last year was his first regular season of appearances. So there are more than me who have doubts about him. I’m also not sure how he had proven he is worth his place time and tome again when he has failed to hold down a spot.

Cavan need to move on to the next level and look to get to Division 1 and stay there and, with all fairness to him, Killian might be a player to get you there but he won't keep you there.

I wouldn't agree Martin Reilly played out of his skin in every game last year. He was one of our better players against Dublin and that got him the All Star nomination but I don't think he would have got that nomination until after that display. You may disagree, that's your perogative. It's a message board for opinions.

Not sure why you are having a sideways dig re going to games. I also attend the majority of games. The only League game I wasn't at (that I could attend) was the Laois one so I can't overly comment on it. I do regularly talk to people who attend games and read match reports and, as I commented, I don't recall Martin being selected as one of our top performers. A poster above agrees with you though so it appears he was.

Re your last paragraph, are you unfamiliar with term ''impact sub''? A player like Martin coming on with 25 minutes left, would lift those around him and the crowd, and are you trying to tell me he wouldn't have more energy to make a nuisance of himself with defenders if he is coming on fresh with 25 minutes left than after playing 45 to 50 minutes? Or to sit back and drop into a hole around the half back like and ping around balls? I simply thought the player might perform better off the bench. Not sure why you see that as such an alien concept. People seem to have assumed it about Conor Madden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

Killian Brady was a regular in 2016 when Cavan were promoted to Division 1, Played in the Championship that year too. He played a good bit under Terry Hyland. Under McGleenan it was up in the air.

• Advertisement

Team named. Galligan, McLoughlim, Clarke, Holla, Kiernan, Fortune, Smith, Gunner, Gerry, Gearoid, Martin Reilly, Madden, Patrick Lynch, Thomas Galligan.

Argue, Caoimhin McGovern both on the bench. No sign of Caoimhin Reilly or Sean McEvoy.

Interesting to see Argue back. Strong team, only one debutant. It's always tough against Fermanagh, hopefully no complacency.

Team above is incorrect. Padraig Faulkner is missing at full back.

Bench is Gary O’Rourke, Conor Brady, Conor Smith, Chris Conroy, Stephen Murray, Cian Reilly, Michael Argue, Oisin Brady, Caoimhin McGovern, Oisin Pierson, Simon Cadden.

I wonder what positional changes we may see. I don’t think Gerry Smith will start at half forward for example. Generally he is used to work the ball too and start the next attack.

Sean McEvoy may only travel if absolutely needed until he finishes his Leaving Cert in June.

Team above is incorrect. Padraig Faulkner is missing at full back.

Bench is Gary O’Rourke, Conor Brady, Conor Smith, Chris Conroy, Stephen Murray, Cian Reilly, Michael Argue, Oisin Brady, Caoimhin McGovern, Oisin Pierson, Simon Cadden.

I wonder what positional changes we may see. I don’t think Gerry Smith will start at half forward for example. Generally he is used to work the ball too and start the next attack.

Sean McEvoy may only travel if absolutely needed until he finishes his Leaving Cert in June.

Has Mickey ever started a 15 as listed in the programme? He usually makes at least one change even if it is a change in the subs. Wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two changes come 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Extremely sloppy first 25 minutes,It's hard to be too critical with it being the first competitive game, but just like in the Dublin game, there's far too many unforced errors.

Silly from James Smith to react like that. A dour enough game. Its a very tight pitch so not much free flowing football. Patrick Lynch has showed very well from play and frees. Fermangh relying on Quigley frees .

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Hammar wrote: »
    Extremely sloppy first 25 minutes,It's hard to be too critical with it being the first competitive game, but just like in the Dublin game, there's far too many unforced errors.

The ref is so whistle happy. Making it awful to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,908 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cavan giving away silly frees. Martin Reilly the main culprit and Smith hitting a player in full view of the referee. Very immature.

rrs wrote: »
    Silly from James Smith to react like that. A dour enough game. Its a very tight pitch so not much free flowing football. Patrick Lynch has showed very well from play and frees. Fermangh relying on Quigley frees .

Fermanagh will never change when they have Quigley. Pack the defence and work the ball to him. It nearly got them into Division 1 two years ago.

He’s slotting over frees from 60 metres like he hasn’t a care in the world.

Some raft of changes. I do wish Mickey would start acting like he gives a **** about the League.

Oisin Brady having a bit of a nightmare. It's not happening up front for us. Going to be a big ask now to get the win here with 14 players.

It's going to be tough, James Smith can't react like that, they know beforehand the dirt they are going to experience against Fermanagh.Its a pity because Smith had been very strong in the air in the first half.

Patrick Lynch has acquired himself quite well, Caoimhin made a lovely run to set up a score...

Fermanagh will never change when they have Quigley. Pack the defence and work the ball to him. It nearly got them into Division 1 two years ago.

He’s slotting over frees from 60 metres like he hasn’t a care in the world.

Some raft of changes. I do wish Mickey would start acting like he gives a **** about the League.

Is that not because of injuries???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Good stuff, what a numpty. About time the ref started showing them a few cards.
    Hopefully we get our act together and win this now.

Did the fella on commentary mention McMahon being sent off for Fermanagh? He was talking about something else and him walking off the pitch

Did the fella on commentary mention McMahon being sent off for Fermanagh? He was talking about something else and him walking off the pitch

Nope he was talking about Jason McLoughlin at the time,He also said McLoughlin scored when it was Caoimhin...

We are making the Fermanagh forwards look like Kilkenny,Clifford and co... It's been shockingly poor....

Fermangh deserved the win. Cavan with a lot of work to do.

Totally deserved.

• Advertisement

Hammar wrote: »
    We are making the Fermanagh forwards look like Kilkenny,Clifford and co... It's been shockingly poor....

Well Quigley is as good as there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,908 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That was a shambolic performance.
    Gave away so many needless frees. Wasteful kicking and poor handling.

That was a shambolic performance.
    Gave away so many needless frees. Wasteful kicking and poor handling.

It was but Fermanagh a few weeks ahead.

Ambushed! Fermanagh had their homework done. Dogged Gearoid out of it, went to ground at the slightest contact. Our attacking in the second half was very poor. Lumping long balls in to a mass defence. Fermanagh running through us at will. A fully deserved loss. It's a hill to climb now to get promoted.

Not pushing up on kickouts and Fermanagh strolling up the field was not a good tactic. Whatever about doing it when a man down doing it rest of time was crazy.

Before our collective toys come out of the pram, that was like a McKenna cup game in terms of preparation and it was a McKenna cup like performance.

What we need to remember is that as Ulster champions, everyone is going to want to knock us off our perch. I know Fermanagh had weeks ahead of us but they also wanted it more.

Fitness wise we didn’t look too bad, but in terms of handling, tackling, kick passing and shooting we looked as rusty as hell. Which was to be expected.

Finally, great to see the Fermanagh lads rolling on the turf at any opportunity. Always love to see that in a GAA game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Really not good enough tonight but fermanagh are tough and always give us our fill of it
    Young lynch looked good
    Defensively we were very poor, g mac got a lot of attention off the ball
    We have it all to do now to get out of the division now

Well Quigley is as good as there is.

I disagree with you there ,He's a good player, very skillful, but I wouldn't consider him top quality.
    He's certainly not in the McBrearty/Murphy league in terms of quality in my opinion,Yet we managed to keep them both reasonably quiet last year.
    Maybe I'm just talking bollocks, Very disheartened over tonight, we are going to struggle for promotion now I reckon.

Before our collective toys come out of the pram, that was like a McKenna cup game in terms of preparation and it was a McKenna cup like performance.

What we need to remember is that as Ulster champions, everyone is going to want to knock us off our perch. I know Fermanagh had weeks ahead of us but they also wanted it more.

Fitness wise we didn’t look too bad, but in terms of handling, tackling, kick passing and shooting we looked as rusty as hell. Which was to be expected.

Finally, great to see the Fermanagh lads rolling on the turf at any opportunity. Always love to see that in a GAA game.

That's all well and good but its a short season. A McKenna Cup game in Janurary would be 5 months from Championship.
    Cavan are playing Tyrone in July so need to up the performance soon

That's all well and good but its a short season. A McKenna Cup game in Janurary would be 5 months from Championship.

That doesn't change fact they're only back a few weeks.

• Advertisement

What were they meant to do?

Advertisement